atcross
KyleCleric
bobheckler
gyso
cowens/oldschool
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

5 things to know about Celtics top pick Romeo Langford - Page 2 Empty Re: 5 things to know about Celtics top pick Romeo Langford

Post by kdp59 Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:40 pm

atcross wrote:Momma always told me to draft the best player remaining. In the mock draft polls Langford was picked to go as high as 6, with only one picking him below 12 at 16. And that was with a questionable shooting hand. Before college he was considered one of the top five or ten recruits in the nation. Langford was a gift horse. Drafting a big (6'10"+) who can be a productive rotation player to fill the shoes of AH/AB in 19/20 seems like a real crapshoot. How many centers drafted to playoff teams at 14 or lower played that role in their first year? And also, if DA is going to trade for a good big he might have to give up one of his guards. Langford could be nice to have if you have to lose Brown or Smart in a trade.

don't know which mocks you were looking at..but here is the last aggregate mock from Hoopsype

https://hoopshype.com/2019/06/19/nba-mock-draft-rumors-updates-movement/

Langford ?
23 at draftnet
15 at ESPN
21 at the atletic
15 at the ringer
21 at SI.com

no where in the top 12 sorry.

Ainge must like him though, so I hope it works out.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

5 things to know about Celtics top pick Romeo Langford - Page 2 Empty Re: 5 things to know about Celtics top pick Romeo Langford

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:02 pm

Mock drafts are mental masturbation. They are even less reliable than actual drafts.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:19 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:dboss your powers of deflection are impressive. I said I had no opinion on Langford and rather than responding to that  you cited my opinion on something else  entirely  as somehow contradictory . You tout your ability to gauge shooting ability, while stubbornly refusing to consider the possibility that shooting stats  (yes,in high school) obtained prior to tearing a thumb ligament might be more indicative of ability than those accrued while playing with the injury. Best of all, you cite aggregate mock draft ranking  as if it was  a meaningful  and decisive factor. I'm thrilled to hear you will root for all the Celtics, even Langford, though. Feel free to have the last word, or not. I'll be out looking for a herd to run with.
Foot

You obviously have an opinion on Langford otherwise why are you so engaged?  

I do not have to consider if his thumb injury impacted his very poor shooting. It does not matter to me if his poor shooting was caused by a sore thumb. Even if I considered that he remains questionable until he proves otherwise. That is truth right there.  Please forego the high school baller stats.  I don't care.  

Most on this board appreciated kdp59 as he kept all of us updated on a regular basis by posting an  updated aggregate mock draft.  I am sure his heart would be  broken if he thought you did not appreciate all of his hard work.  I do not look at a mock draft to make a determination on how good a player is or if they are a good fit for where they are projected relative to where a team is drafting. A mock draft is informational.  I look at quite a bit of information about these prospects. I believe Actross stated that he saw a mock with Romeo much higher.  To be more specific he stated:

"In the mock draft polls Langford was picked to go as high as 6, with only one picking him below 12 at 16"

The aggregate mock draft  for him was 19.  That is all that I was conveying to him.  I do know that Langford was ranked much higher early on.   You got a problem with that?  

"you cite aggregate mock draft ranking  as if it was  a meaningful  and decisive factor"  

That is your assumption.    How do you know what is meaningful and decisive factors to me?    They are meaningful to me but hardly decisive.  Does that help!

I am thrilled that your thrilled that I will be rooting for the Celtics and everyone on the team.  I am overcome with a warm and fuzzy feeling.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:23 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:Mock drafts are mental masturbation. They are even less reliable than actual drafts.

Don't jerk yourself off over it.  It sounds like it is a mental masturbation for you.  You thought of it.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:31 pm

kdp59 wrote:
atcross wrote:Momma always told me to draft the best player remaining. In the mock draft polls Langford was picked to go as high as 6, with only one picking him below 12 at 16. And that was with a questionable shooting hand. Before college he was considered one of the top five or ten recruits in the nation. Langford was a gift horse. Drafting a big (6'10"+) who can be a productive rotation player to fill the shoes of AH/AB in 19/20 seems like a real crapshoot. How many centers drafted to playoff teams at 14 or lower played that role in their first year? And also, if DA is going to trade for a good big he might have to give up one of his guards. Langford could be nice to have if you have to lose Brown or Smart in a trade.

don't know which mocks you were looking at..but here is the last aggregate mock from Hoopsype

https://hoopshype.com/2019/06/19/nba-mock-draft-rumors-updates-movement/

Langford ?
23 at draftnet
15 at ESPN
21 at the atletic
15 at the ringer
21 at SI.com

no where in the  top 12 sorry.

Ainge must like him though, so I hope it works out.

Got it here. But I agree that mock drafts are, as the name implies, just someone's guess. I believe though that before his thumb injury he was rated much higher. I've read some the mock draft analises and I note many noted his shooting fall off at IU but they fail to mention the thumb. Hardly the full picture. As you say, Ainge must like him and considering Stevens has probably been following him all along I suspect he was a strong influence.
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/04/04/where-iu-basketballs-romeo-langford-picked-nba-mock-draft-2019/3367372002/

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:34 pm

Now you are going to try to drag somebody else into it? I doubt that kdp59 cares what I think about mock drafts .Not everybody is as easily butt hurt as some.You obviously enjoy arguing for it's own sake, but your last couple efforts less than inspired IMHO. You win . Ainge should have drafted the guys you would have picked. I hope that suffices, dboss.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:56 am

A sixth thing: he's excited to be a Celtic.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/celtics-grant-williams-romeo-langford-151232679.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:36 pm

I'm going to throw in a quick request to keep it more civil here.

Not calling out anyone in particular.

The fact is, though, we all have a right to give our opinion. And none of those opinions should be confused with absolute facts.

State your opinion, and explain it if you wish, although you don't have to. Then leave it be. No need to attack the opinions of others, either. Always OK to debate, but always good to know when to drop it. No need for everyone to see it all the same.

When they actually play the games, you may even get to proclaim victory, genius, or clairvoyance.

For now, let's not get all worked up. OK?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:39 pm

Good advice NY Celt.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:39 am

atcross wrote:In this HS highlights (i.e., pre-thumb) I note that many of his 3pt-ers are from well outside the HS 3pt line. I'm no expert on shot mechanics but I'm not seeing a problem. But it is a highlights reel. I would note that his ability to slash was so much more than HS players could handle that he could get to the basket at will. His HS stats suggest he's a terrific scorer, regardless of his shooting. This kid was very visible in IN so I'm sure Brad got to see a lot of him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4oLn2GDoLw
And he hit a bunch of those 3’s with a defender jumping on his shooting hand, forcing him to contort his body and mechanics and he still hit the shot....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:40 am

From where we drafted, I really like all our picks this year.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:46 am

I expect Fall will become a prize.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:58 am

worcester wrote:I expect Fall will become a prize.
That would be incredible, a Mark Eaton clone, hope his skills will translate to this level....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:59 am

Sign him and put him in the G League for a few years

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:05 pm

Yeah..1 to.2 years in G league. Then unleash the Kracken!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Maybe 2 way contract this year and sign multi year contract next offseason if it looks like he’ll be fine

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:22 pm

2 way makes sense. Let's see how he does in summer league. We could use a wind Fall.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:27 pm

A lot of teams had Tacko Fall in for a workout and saw him at the Combine.
Despite this exposure, no team drafted him or offered him a two way contract.
I am definitely rooting for him but making a roster will be hard for Tacko.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:29 pm

If Fall is in the DLeague, he can be poached by any NBA team.  I think we should offer him a 2-way contract or make him our 15th roster spot so that we totally control his short term future.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:31 pm

Hmm. I did not know that. Then 2 way makes sense. As much sense as Yabu for $3.5 M. Who will take him off our hands?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:35 pm

The contract he signed can be converted to a 2 way contract

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:54 pm

tjmakz wrote:A lot of teams had Tacko Fall in for a workout and saw him at the Combine.
Despite this exposure, no team drafted him or offered him a two way contract.
I am definitely rooting for him but making a roster will be hard for Tacko.

Agree 100%.

Watching him play for UCF was entertaining, but he doesn't have any single skill developed to an NBA level. With very few exceptions that I'm aware of, a player drafted and needing that kind of extensive development is, perhaps, a future overseas professional player. And Fall wasn't even drafted. Prolonged stints in the G League, if that becomes the route, are generally an indicator of no NBA future.

Fall was a great story toward the end of this past NCAA season, but mostly because of his size, and short arms for his height. He was part of an excellent defensive team strategy that almost shut down Duke. Short memories have been talking about him shutting down Zion. As they used to say, 'not so much.' In fact it was Zion finishing at the rim over a 7'6" Fall, and drawing the and-1 foul, that allowed Duke to close within a point and win on Barrett's basket.

I'm happy Boston was the one to bring him in for a look, and hope a miracle happens and he sticks around. I've also seen enough to know a miracle is what it will take. But hey, the Mets won in '69, the U.S. took hockey gold in Lake Placid, so maybe...

Bottom line; Boston still has to look for a few capable bigs.

Wait. Weren't we talking about Langford? Hope the thumb heals.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:39 am

Well he does have 2 skills that can keep him in the league, possibly rebounding and scoring and defense in the paint, close to the rim. The problem is his 2 weaknesses kill off how much his strengths might help, he can’t defend away from the basket and his terrible free throw shooting. Just like a little guard can be exposed on switches, the same can happen to the Giant if he has to chase on the perimeter.

I thought that last FG over Fall by Zion was a charge, Fall just stood straight and Zion ran right at him, and refs gave him the call. He can be a very real force close to the basket, and stopped a lot of drives by Duke. Against certain match ups, he could help us with his size and certain match ups his lack of mobility will kill us.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:36 am

The two things that excite me the most about Langford are:

1.  He got to the line a lot.

2.  He was talked about as being a Top 5 pick until his injured thumb diluted his play and put questions in the minds of GMs.  Take out a once-per-era freak like Zion and that would make Langford a Top 4 pick in other drafts.  If he's not cleared to play by summer league he certainly will be by camp and his talent will still be there.  He didn't drop from Top 10 to 21 like Sully, who had a back issue AND a weight issue.   Langford has the thumb, which is almost there, and that's it.

Being a 6'6" back court player is good too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:10 am

bobheckler wrote:The two things that excite me the most about Langford are:

1.  He got to the line a lot.

2.  He was talked about as being a Top 5 pick until his injured thumb diluted his play and put questions in the minds of GMs.  Take out a once-per-era freak like Zion and that would make Langford a Top 4 pick in other drafts.  If he's not cleared to play by summer league he certainly will be by camp and his talent will still be there.  He didn't drop from Top 10 to 21 like Sully, who had a back issue AND a weight issue.   Langford has the thumb, which is almost there, and that's it.

Being a 6'6" back court player is good too.

bob

Agreed bob, there were other wings picked before him that also have flaws in their shooting % and are not elite athletes too. I like in the clips I’ve seen he seems to score very well in traffic, he might not have elite athleticism, but still has no problem finishing and getting there....from where we picked him, great value.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2