Will Kemba fit Steven's system better than Kyrie?

+9
bobc33
bobheckler
KyleCleric
worcester
wideclyde
cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
dboss
Shamrock1000
13 posters

Go down

Will Kemba fit Steven's system better than Kyrie? Empty Will Kemba fit Steven's system better than Kyrie?

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:57 pm

If the Celtics end up signing Kemba, how do board members feel he will fit with the Celtics? Talent-wise, Kyrie probably has a slight edge. I say this mainly because his shooting percentages are a bit higher, implying a more efficient player. However, Kemba had to do so much offensively for Charlotte. His efficiency might improve with better players, and every PG that has played in Brad's system has had their best year playing that system, Kyrie included. I don't know that much about Kemba, but he seems more comfortable playing off the ball, whereas Kyrie's value is maximized when he handles the ball. By all accounts, Kemba seems like a good guy that will buy into the Celtics way and provide solid mentoring for the youth. He also seems to have the right make-up to handle the sometimes intense Boston media. Of course, he won't have the luxury of playing with Big Al, but hopefully Ainge still has something up his sleeve to replace at least some of what Al provided. I am cautiously optimistic, but this is more a gut feeling than based on any actual evidence. I would love to hear what people think about how Kemba will fit vs Kyrie, especially in regard to actually playing basketball with the Celtics.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Will Kemba fit Steven's system better than Kyrie? Empty Re: Will Kemba fit Steven's system better than Kyrie?

Post by dboss Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:13 pm

Danny's interest In Kemba is a clear indication that Danny views the PG as a major source of offense.  

I think he is a good replacement in that role for Kyrie.

His fit will be determined by what Danny does to fill the other 4 key vacancies on the team.  Unlike Kyrie, Kemba is not a prima donna so that makes him a better team fit.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Will Kemba fit Steven's system better than Kyrie? Empty Re: Will Kemba fit Steven's system better than Kyrie?

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:16 pm

Although I firmly believe we need to address bigs before a PG, if they go guard first I think the team would be better with Walker than Irving. I think, although Irving is one of the top scorers in the league, he's too ball dominant for the current Celtic roster. There's also the small matter of personality. How could Walker not be a better fit there?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:37 pm

NYCelt wrote:Although I firmly believe we need to address bigs before a PG, if they go guard first I think the team would be better with Walker than Irving. I think, although Irving is one of the top scorers in the league, he's too ball dominant for the current Celtic roster. There's also the small matter of personality. How could Walker not be a better fit there?
I would agree he can’t be any worse, how could he? Their skill set is comparable enough, after years of carrying teams with not much talent, he will relish playing with other high end talent, GH was a legit all star and 2 J’s have as much talent as all stars, they are just young, but if they ever put it all together....Smart is entering his prime, is a hard nosed enforcer. I like what I’ve been reading on young pics, RW is gonna get minutes.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:08 pm

After how the Irving time ended in Boston,I would just about guess that ANY other player could fit in better.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:24 pm

Sure hope they keep Smart and get a center.

Last edited by worcester on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:01 pm

worcester wrote:Sure hope they keep Smart as nd get a center.

Play Smart at center:
PG: Kemba Walker
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Gordon Hayward
C: Marcus Smart

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:02 pm

wideclyde wrote:After how the Irving time ended in Boston,I would just about guess that ANY other player could fit in better.
That’s what I like about this board, we don’t miss a thing.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:09 am

One plus for Kemba over Kyrie is that Kemba would be coming here by choice and not traded here whether he liked it or not.  If Kemba signs here it's because he wants to be here.  Major difference.  Kyrie had the best statistical year of his career last year but was unhappy.  To me, that speaks to Brad's ability to get the most out of players (like he did with IT, Crowder, Baynes and others) but the lack of Kyrie's control over his living environment.  Kemba's play should also benefit from Brad but the off-the-court issues will already be resolved in Kemba's head.

Plus, I doubt any player could be more moody and disruptive to the locker room than Kyrie was, not even DeMarcus Cousins, who is at least consistent in his presentation.  WTF knew which Kyrie was going to show up?  A locker room of strong-willed professional athletes in a team sport, who basically live together on the road, is no place for a flake.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:06 pm

wideclyde wrote:After how the Irving time ended in Boston,I would just about guess that ANY other player could fit in better.

Yeah, culture-wise, Charlie Manson might have been a better teammate and Celtic citizen than Kyrie. I am wondering about on the court. Although Kemba can likely play off the ball more than Kyrie, he is still a ball dominant point guard. Will Brad elevate Kemba's already very good game? Will he make the kids better?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:22 pm

Perhaps Curtis Rowe, Sydney Wicks or maybe Mark Blount? Nah, bad as they were they were better fits than Kyrie.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:32 pm

I'm fine with Kemba, but not without a decent big. A huge hole at the 5 does not portend well for the season. I still like Vuc and Derrick Favors.

Last edited by worcester on Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
Yeah, culture-wise, Charlie Manson might have been a better teammate and Celtic citizen than Kyrie.

And there we have today's quote of the day.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:55 pm

NYCelt wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:
Yeah, culture-wise, Charlie Manson might have been a better teammate and Celtic citizen than Kyrie.

And there we have today's quote of the day.

In fairness, Manson is dead, which probably makes him much easier to get along with.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:51 pm

worcester wrote:I'm fine with Kemba, but not without a decent big. A huge hole at the 5 does not portend well for the season. I still like Vuc and Derrick Favors.
Agree 100%

I think if Danny is willing to go all the way in getting Walker that is just one punch of a one, two punch.  The Center comes next and I do not see them being able to get a starting center with the room exception.  That money is backup money.

Therefore it appears to me that a trade must be in the works to add a quality big man.   I think we can pretty much forget about guys like Vuc or Dedmon.  I have seen other names bandied about like Adams and even Cauley-Stein.  Adams makes too much money and Stein is a restricted free agent but I heard he wants out.  

It will take a perfect storm for Danny to get his guy and he will not be able to do it without parting with a player.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:34 pm

bobc33 wrote:

Perhaps Curtis Rowe, Sydney Wicks or maybe Mark Blount?  Nah, bad as they were they were better fits than Kyrie.

I thought MB's name was banned from being mentioned by celtics fans?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:09 pm

Matty wrote:
bobc33 wrote:

Perhaps Curtis Rowe, Sydney Wicks or maybe Mark Blount?  Nah, bad as they were they were better fits than Kyrie.

I thought MB's name was banned from being mentioned by celtics fans?

Gotta admit, I hated Mark Blount worse than I hated the Lakers. Well....not quite but he was a very close 2nd. Whatta jerk!
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by international Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:02 pm

bobheckler wrote:One plus for Kemba over Kyrie is that Kemba would be coming here by choice and not traded here whether he liked it or not.  If Kemba signs here it's because he wants to be here.  Major difference.  Kyrie had the best statistical year of his career last year but was unhappy.  To me, that speaks to Brad's ability to get the most out of players (like he did with IT, Crowder, Baynes and others) but the lack of Kyrie's control over his living environment.  Kemba's play should also benefit from Brad but the off-the-court issues will already be resolved in Kemba's head.

Plus, I doubt any player could be more moody and disruptive to the locker room than Kyrie was, not even DeMarcus Cousins, who is at least consistent in his presentation.  WTF knew which Kyrie was going to show up?  A locker room of strong-willed professional athletes in a team sport, who basically live together on the road, is no place for a flake.

bob

international

Back to top Go down

Post by international Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:03 pm

The most important plus is that Kemba is a natural leader, not a wanna be like Kyrie.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down