Carsen Edwards will be a perfect fit in Brad Stevens’ offensive system

5 posters

Go down

Carsen Edwards will be a perfect fit in Brad Stevens’ offensive system Empty Carsen Edwards will be a perfect fit in Brad Stevens’ offensive system

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:00 pm

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2019/07/23/boston-celtics-carsen-edwards-perfect-fit-brad-stevens-offensive-system/

Carsen Edwards will be a perfect fit in Brad Stevens’ offensive system

by Mark Nilon

8 hours ago

Carsen Edwards will be a perfect fit in Brad Stevens’ offensive system Image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fhardwoodhoudini.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F1155491640

With the offensive scheme coach Brad Stevens prefers to run, rookie guard Carsen Edwards should prove to be a perfect fit with the Boston Celtics.

With his fantastic Summer League play, Boston Celtics’ second round selection Carsen Edwards has landed himself a four year, $4.5 million contract, giving the franchise a fantastic scoring option off the pine for years to come.

Though Edwards has yet to suit up for the Celtics in regular season action, if his collegiate and Summer League play is any indicator, he’ll be a a perfect fit in coach Brad Stevens’ offensive scheme right off the bat.

Throughout his three-year stint with the Purdue Boilermakers, Edwards made a name for himself as an elite scoring guard, averaging 17.8 points on 37% shooting from deep. In his final season at the college level, Edwards brought his game to even greater heights, as he upped his scoring average to an impressive 24.3 points on 36% shooting from outside the arc.

With his slightly smaller-than-average frame of 6-1, 200 pounds, coming into the draft many teams were weary over how well the guard’s game would translate on the next level, thus having him slip all the way to the second round. However, with his 19.4 points per game average on 52% shooting from the field and 40% shooting from downtown, it appears as though Edwards has all but put these questions to rest.

Now, while we all should be excited to see the guard consistently knocking down his shots against NBA caliber talents, quite possibly the most important takeaway from Edwards’ performance this summer is his ability to productively play off the ball.

In college, though Edwards was the predominant ball handler for his team, he proved capable of making a positive impact off ball as well. Though only 12% of his possessions were spot-ups, he managed to convert at a 1.048 point clip per possession, ranking him within the 75th percentile. When working with a secondary ball handler, the guard was able make shots off screens at a similar rate and showed a strong ability to get open for kick-outs.

Now, while these stats alone may just seem like useful attributes to have for a basketball player, in a Brad Stevens run offense, these traits are everything. The Boston Celtics finished the 2018-19 season with the third most catch-and-shoot attempts in the league, averaging 29.7 attempts from the field and 25.5 from deep.

Just from watching how the Celtics operate, it is apparent that their offense is predicated on setting screens and finding the open man. It is also evident that the team relies heavily on their guards ability to move off-ball. This was the type of offense run by Scott Morrison during the team’s Summer League action, and this was the type of offense that landed Edwards his guaranteed contract with Boston.

Though he may have been the team’s third selection in this year’s NBA Draft, the point guard could very well find himself being the team’s number one rookie contributor during the 2019-20 campaign. In regards to Carsen Edwards’ fit within coach Brad Stevens’ offensive scheme, it appears to have all the makings to end up as a wondrous pairing.

A match made in heaven if you will.

bob
MY NOTE:  I wasn't able to watch any summer league games because I was traveling, but I did watch every highlight film I could find.  Edwards proved he could shoot off the dribble, which is an NBA skill that come to young players later, rather than sooner.  Brad used catch-and-shoot and dribble handoffs a lot last year.  One of the reasons why he used catch-and-shoot so much is because we had a bunch of players who couldn't shoot well off the dribble but could if they just went to the perimeter, rotated around the arc and shot (e.g. Brown, Smart, Horford, Baynes, Theis, Semi).  So, of course you design plays to accommodate their strengths and move away from their weaknesses.  I predict Edwards will be deadly off dribble handoffs since DHOs almost always come with a pick to slow the defender down.  That's all Edwards will need.  The option off the DHO is the handoff man rolling to the rim.  It will be interesting to see how well Edwards plays the point guard position on those pnrs (Kanter or Poirier rolling to the rim? Wow. Cannot wait to see that!).  I don't know how well 6', 200# Carsen Edwards will do on defense, a switch will put him against a bigger player since virtually every player in the NBA will be bigger than him, but I'm predicting he is going to be a crowd favorite on offense.  The steal of the draft.  Our Microwave.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Carsen Edwards will be a perfect fit in Brad Stevens’ offensive system Empty Re: Carsen Edwards will be a perfect fit in Brad Stevens’ offensive system

Post by dboss Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:58 pm

Edwards is in the top 8 rotation because he can handle the ball and he can get to the rim and he can shoot.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Carsen Edwards will be a perfect fit in Brad Stevens’ offensive system Empty Re: Carsen Edwards will be a perfect fit in Brad Stevens’ offensive system

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Although he is only 6'1", he is 200 lbs, and he looks strong (Kyrie was 6'3" 193 lbs). Love that he can move off the ball, something Irving wasn't into.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:58 pm

I am hoping that Carson Edwards becomes the "gunslinger" I have been begging for for three plus years. Put him in the game, and let him hit those shots that sends the offense off on a tirade. A Lou Williams type player from a few years ago until he became the super player he is today. A JJRedick, who teams hate to see come in because he hits all his shots then goes back to the bench and eventually works his way up the ladder. I love this kid, he has no fear, is a kid who can come in cold and hit shot after shot and sends us flying.

Dreaming??? Maybe, but after watching him, I have come to love watching him, here's hoping I am right
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:53 pm

Not looking to put too much on CE. He has to come in and earn his minutes justt like all the rookies. Yet I am impressed by the potential.

He has to be able to play defense. That is what got TR minutes when he was engaged.

No doubt he is a gunner and averaged more points in Summer League for Boston than any player has in a long time. He took 10 deep shots per game in college. Brad is drooling over him.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:54 pm

It appears that the deal that sent Terry Rozier to Charlotte is being considered one of the worst deals of free agency. I was never a TR fan, so this does not surprise me.

You are right, Edwards does have to show that he can play defense, hopefully that will happen. I am extremely impressed with his offensive play though and feel he will work his way into the rotation sooner or later
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:09 pm

Rosalie. I agree and expect him to be a shooter off the bench. Seems no one is saying much about Romeo. Hope he heals up soon.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:46 pm

I was impressed with how quickly he gets his shot off and his ability to make contested shots.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down