+3
steve3344
Shamrock1000
dboss
7 posters

Go down

Free Agency Just About Finished Empty Free Agency Just About Finished

Post by dboss Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:10 pm

My early and very incomplete perception of what happened in the East.  Please feel free to add any comments you might have.  You will get no argument out of me.

Sixers B+

Adding AH to the mix is huge.   Pairing him with Embid in the front court makes it virtually impossible to play a small ball 4 against them.    When Embid goes out of the game their offense and defense will still be effective.  Harris got overpaid but he is a solid 2 position player and a great fit overall.  Josh Richardson does everything well.  Losing Butler and Reddick stings a bit but the Sixers have now put together a team that they can move forward with. 

Pacers B

They lost Thaddeous Young to free agency and Bogdanovic.  They will miss their offense.  They did make a draft day trade to bring  TJ Warren in.  They took Brogdon (slightly overpaid) from the rival Bucks and also signed Lamb. With a healthy Olidipo they now have as good of a backcourt rotation as any team in the East.  The problem however appears to be depth at the 3. 

Nets B+

This grade would be an A+ if KD was healthy.  The Magnitude of bagging two elite level players in free agency  is huge.    The fleecing by the Boston Celtics has become a distant memory.   The Nets are well positioned to move into the top tier of the EC.  Biggest loser...The NY Knicks.

Raptors A or an F

If they resign Leonard they get high marks. 

Celtics B-

When you lose 2 of your best players to EC rivals that is never good.  When 5 of you top 9 rotation guys are gone and you manage to replace just two of them with proven players and the rest with prospects, the team moving forward looks more like a second tier EC team.  Hard to fault the Celtics in FA given CAP space constraints.  

Pistons D

They signed Rose.  The teams has a structural problem.

Magic C+

They kept Vuc and Ross and added frontline depth but they have yet to address the lack of production from their PG

Hornets D

They lost elite scorer in Walker because they are cheap and stupid and they also lost Lamb and now Frank the tank is heading to the Suns for $5 million per.  With Frank gone, the life cycle of a bad draft pick is now complete.

Heat B-

For convincing Jimmie to come there despite them being an under .500 club,  otherwise I would give them a C as they lost Whiteside and now are thin in the middle.

Knicks W

As in WTF.  All the bragging and promises have failed to come true.  Then they go on a spending spree and blow  through over $72 million in CAP space on a bunch of complimentary players.  The good news, only Randle contract is for longer than 2 years. The bad news, no really good player wants to go there.  They could have held on to some of that CAP space and become a team able to absorb a contract during the season and probably a draft pick for making that happen.

Wizards P

For purgatory.  They remain in purgatory.  Thanks for signing IT.

Hawks I

Incomplete.  They did nothing

Bulls C

They signed Thadeous Young but lost Portis.  They also signed SG/SF
Tomas Satoransky

Cavs I

Incomplete.  Nothing to see here.  move along
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Free Agency Just About Finished Empty Re: Free Agency Just About Finished

Post by dboss Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:56 pm

What happens with Marcus Morris, Cousins and Danny Green?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:29 am

I would give the Nets an incomplete. Putting all the admittedly bad feelings aside, I just don't see Kyrie as an elite level player (e.g. Lebron, AD, Kawhi, healthy KD, even Steph level). He just doesn't move the needle on a team like a truly elite player. KD is nearly 31 and just ruptured his Achilles tendon. Other than Dominique, I don't think anyone has ever fully come back from that injury. This might not turn out the way the Nets hope.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:33 am

dboss wrote:What happens with Marcus Morris, Cousins and Danny Green?

Danny Green just agreed to $30 million for two years from the Lakers.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:02 am

Raptors just won an F grade. Sure shakes up the East.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:32 am

dboss wrote:What happens with Marcus Morris, Cousins and Danny Green?

we still have Morris' bird rights.

we are at around $110M in salarys for the cap

the Tax line is $132M

which means we have about $22M or less to stay UNDER the tax line.

the rookie holds for our first round picks are listed at $5.8M

so if they get 120% of that once the deals are signed, thats around $7M

leaving up to $15M in space under the tax line. Should be more than enough to bring back Morris, IF there is a desire on both party's. I AM NOT SAYING WE SHOULD GIVE MORRIS $15M!!! Just that is how much space under the tax line seems to be there.

the only other cap space(exceptions) we have I think is the Bi-annual at around $3.3M.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2019/

if one assumes T. Waters and T, Fall end up getting two way contracts and Edwards makes the team with the two first round picks, we would have one roster spot left.

I should note that Wannamakers deal is not including in the link above for some reason. If he is added that would be 15 instead of 14 roster spots.

Obviously, Morris on a bargain deal( $5-8M) would be a better addition than Edwards, Waters, Wannamaker or Yabusele.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:58 am

CBS Sports Power rankings now

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-power-rankings-kawhi-leonards-new-look-clippers-vault-to-no-1-lebron-james-lakers-3rd-raptors-warriors-plummet/

good read, as usual there.

the short of it:

1. Clippers
2. Philly
2. Lakers
4. Mil
5. Jazz
6. Houston
7. Denver
8. Portland
9. BOSTON
10. Nets
11. GS
12. Pacers
13. Spurs

others
16. Toronto
22. OKC

and the bottom dwellers

25. Wash
26. Knicks- Too high?
27. Phoe
28. Clev
29. Mem- Too low?
30 Char

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:43 am

One two way already went to guard from DePaul
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:05 pm

I’m still so salty over Danny letting Horford get away. How dat happen? And please don’t over blow his getting Walker. Jordan made that pretty easy. Danny gets a D for Dip Shit.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:19 pm

Overpaying Horford for 4 years would not have been a good move.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:38 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wizards-grizzlies-dwight-howard-cj-miles-trade-004555899.html

Dwight Howard will be free soon.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:43 pm

Ktronic Danny offered a real solid contract.

Horford is a mercenary and went for the most money he could get and he went to a rival

I would not be so fast to slam Danny on this one.  

Not to overblow him getting Walker but that was huge!  Getting Kanter for $5 million times two was a better option than trying to match Horford's offer.  IMO
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:03 pm

Leonard going to the Clippers was always a strong possibility but getting Paul George is one I did not expect.

The Clippers paid a steep price in the process.  Apparently all the big name stars are building their own teams these days.  OKC did well for themselves as I did not believe they were able to win with Westbrook and George.

The Raptors dream has turned into a perennial event.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:10 pm

I am sorry but as far as I am concerned, Philly took a big chance on Al. Cranky knees, declaring he did not want to play center, what the heck does he think he will play everytime (and we know there will be everytimes) that Embid is out. He has never played a full year. Al was fortunate to be in a system that babied him, took care of his knees and gave him days (many at times) to rest, but he took the money. Hey, he also has a history of concusion issues. So I have no fault with Danny not matching that offer. My feeling is it will comeback to bite them in the ass.

As far as Kyrie is concerned, he was NEVER coming back, he is a bs artist, a talented one at that. Durant will be sorry for this partnership, if he returns in decent form. I lost respect completely for Kyrie in the Milwaukee series. He knew he was going no where with this team and gave up. Talented or not, I would not want to be his teammate. The way the league is going, he is not on his last team
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:05 pm

dboss wrote:Ktronic Danny offered a real solid contract.

Horford is a mercenary and went for the most money he could get and he went to a rival

Not to overblow him getting Walker but that was huge!  Getting Kanter for $5 million times two was a better option than trying to match Horford's offer.  IMO

I suspect there’s a little more to the Horford situation but thats just my gut feel. No, I wouldn’t have gave Horford what Philly gave but if thats all there was to it-Money, then Danny had to let him go. IF, that was the case.

Getting Walker was huge but pretty easy.
Dboss, what are your thoughts on Derrick Favors and Willie Cali Stein ? They were available. Do you think we should’ve looked at them harder?
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:15 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I am sorry but as far as I am concerned, Philly took a big chance on Al. Cranky knees, declaring he did not want to play center, what the heck does he think he will play everytime (and we know there will be everytimes) that Embid is out.  He has never played a full year. Al was fortunate to be in a system that babied him, took care of his knees and gave him days (many at times) to rest, but he took the money. Hey, he also has a history of concusion issues. So I have no fault with Danny not matching that offer. My feeling is it will comeback to bite them in the ass.

As far as Kyrie is concerned, he was NEVER coming back, he is a bs artist, a talented one at that. Durant will be sorry for this partnership, if he returns in decent form.  I lost respect completely for Kyrie in the Milwaukee series. He knew he was going no where with this team and gave up. Talented or not, I would not want to be his teammate. The way the league is going, he is not on his last team

Despite all the negative comments about Al, I and I believe most on this board would rather he was still here.
It’s easy to find negativity once they’re out the door. We were and would have been better with him staying. I get the money factor but I’m not going to dog Al out when I really didn’t want him to leave.
Kyrie? I’ll quote Tony Soprano, “He’s dead to me”.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:31 pm

Ktronic1 wrote:
dboss wrote:Ktronic Danny offered a real solid contract.

I suspect there’s a little more to the Horford situation but thats just my gut feel. No, I wouldn’t have gave Horford what Philly gave but if thats all there was to it-Money, then Danny had to let him go. IF, that was the case.

Getting Walker was huge but pretty easy.
Dboss, what are your thoughts on Derrick Favors and Willie Cali Stein ? They were available. Do you think we should’ve looked at them harder?

I'll pipe in on that one, since I was also wishing for a couple big men to be priority once Horford was leaving. The signing of Walker made it very apparent that Ainge and Stevens do not value big men in today's NBA. That is not meant to be a negative statement at all, just what I see as a fact.

I would note that Stevens Butler teams never had a big man as an elite player, he simply may not value them.

Time will tell if their vision will lead the team to the top or not, I certainly don't know and they get paid big money to make those decisions.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down