Brad Stevens high on Celtics rookies in NBA Summer League

4 posters

Go down

Brad Stevens high on Celtics rookies in NBA Summer League Empty Brad Stevens high on Celtics rookies in NBA Summer League

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:02 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/stevens-high-celtics-rookies-summer-012719394.html

Brad Stevens high on Celtics rookies in NBA Summer League

A. Sherrod Blakely
NBC Sports Boston
July 10, 2019, 3:27 AM GMT+2

There's been a lot for Celtics coach Brad Stevens to like in watching the C's rookie get their first taste of the NBA in the Vegas Summer League. "I'm excited about what they bring to the table."

LAS VEGAS -- The Celtics came into their Summer League game against Denver with an unblemished record because most of their rookie draft picks haven't played like wide-eyed, nervous-Nellies when they stepped on the floor.

Of course. the competition level will be much greater when facing real NBA teams and not its summer equivalents.

But that hasn't stopped coach Brad Stevens from being bullish on this rookie class, which includes a couple of players who may find themselves in the team's regular rotation.

"You're excited about the things you see that can translate to an NBA game," Stevens said. "And there's other things that won't. So, I'm excited about what they bring to the table."

Second-round pick Carsen Edwards has been an electrifying scorer for the Celtics thus far this summer, seemingly getting to whatever spot he wants to when he needs to be there.

It won't come nearly as easy against better competition.

But Stevens has seen enough to where it's not a stretch to envision Edwards playing an important role off the bench.

"Carsen has a chance to impact our team early because he obviously can make tough shots," Stevens said. "He's done a great job of picking the right ones, and he's done a great job of picking up full and pressuring the ball."

Stevens is also high on 5-foot-11 point guard Tremont Waters, who will spend most of next season with the Maine Red Claws on a two-way contract.

"All the things that he does on the floor...the only thing you can ever say about him is he's too small," Stevens said. "He's super savvy. The game comes so easy to him on both ends. He gets his hands on every ball on defense, makes the right plays."

As for Grant Williams, Stevens said "Grant has been who Grant is; and that's a steady guy who impacts winning. He's one of the few that I think can change his game pretty dramatically and still impact winning."

Boston's top pick in last June's NBA draft, Romeo Langford, has yet to suit up in Summer League while still on the mend with a thumb injury suffered while at Indiana.

And then there's...Tacko Fall.

"I thought maybe you'd ask about him," quipped Stevens.

Stevens is on the Tacko bandwagon, too.

"What I love about Tacko, is he has the whole place buzzing and it doesn't affect who he is," Stevens said. "He's got a wonderful humility about him."

He added, "I really admire him. He walks into the building and everybody's talking about him. He dunks, lands on his feet and everybody is still talking about him. My daughter and son are watching the games to watch him. But I admire all the things about him not only on the court but off."

bob
MY NOTE:  Loves that Edwards hits tough shots (basketball); loves everything about Waters, only drawback is his height (basketball); loves how Williams can change his game and still impact winning (basketball);  loves that Tacko is humble.  I believe that is what is known as "damning him with faint praise".  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens high on Celtics rookies in NBA Summer League Empty Re: Brad Stevens high on Celtics rookies in NBA Summer League

Post by worcester Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:12 pm

He also said on live TV that he liked Tacko's P&R D.

Tacko did display some pretty athletic lateral footwork guarding a perimeter player.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens high on Celtics rookies in NBA Summer League Empty Re: Brad Stevens high on Celtics rookies in NBA Summer League

Post by dboss Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:18 pm

Langford is the one guy that will likely be behind the rest of the rookies going into camp.  Langford was a consolation prize.  I do believe that Boston really intended to draft the kid Herro out of Ky who has been shooting lights out so far for Miami.

It will be very interesting to track their careers given how they went 13, 14 in the draft and both are shooting guards.  Other SG that I have seen that look good include Dylan Windler (Cavs)and Nickeil Alexander-Walker (NOLA)
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:20 pm

Herro has such short arms.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Everyone is impressed with how the summer team is playing because their efforts, hustle and teamsmanship is like what we saw of the real Cs two seasons ago, and nothing like what the varsity made us watch last season.

Who knows how any of these guys will be in their NBA careers, but it is great to watch a team wearing green uniforms perform with genuine emotion and energy.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:26 pm

worcester wrote:Herro has such short arms.
His arms are incredibly short but it does not seem to affect that 3 ball he shoots.  But there are two sides of the court.  

The regular season and NBA high level competition will challenge most of the draftees. The defensive side of the ball is the most challenging part.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:37 pm

Yes, D will be a challenge for Herro as will getting his shot off against long armed defenders. Switching topics, does Amar e have any gas left in his tank?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down