Celtics/Memphis/playoff game on ESPN now

+3
worcester
cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
7 posters

Go down

Celtics/Memphis/playoff game on ESPN now Empty Celtics/Memphis/playoff game on ESPN now

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:54 pm

They never talked about this game on NBC/TV it is on ESPN now

Celtics winning 22-19
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Celtics/Memphis/playoff game on ESPN now Empty Re: Celtics/Memphis/playoff game on ESPN now

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Edwards looking great, they keep talking about Williams and how good he is. I do not know who this announcer is but he was referring to Williams like he was a rookie and available for trade. I do not think so. He is beginning to show some real skills
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Celtics/Memphis/playoff game on ESPN now Empty Re: Celtics/Memphis/playoff game on ESPN now

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Allen getting booed. This kid looks like he is always looking for trouble
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:17 pm

Celtics losing by 12, 49-37
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:05 pm

Rosalie Berlin and I were on the Game On Thread

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Edwards sure can score. RWill can rebound. But today's big story is that Tremont Waters chose to play with what must have been a very heavy heart. He was 1-10 from three but so what? Life can be tough, and losing a parent is one of the toughest times. I wish this superb young man well.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:48 pm

I know it was only a summer league game , but the coach must have had money on Memphis. How do you leave R.Williams and Tacko on the bench while they win the game on the offensive boards?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:59 pm

Summer League wins and losses mean nothing.  What matters is how well they play when minutes are uncertain, how well and quickly do they learn and assimilate the fundamentals of our playbook and how competitive are they.  Do they respond to pressure or succumb to it?  I think this summer league team answered all those questions.

1.  Carson Edwards can score.  He ended up 19.4ppg.  That's the highest for any Celtic summer leaguer since 2004, so that's 15 years worth of summer league.  He earned a 4 year contract before it was even over.  He should have a decent NBA career because every team needs a "Break glass in case you need buckets" player and he's ours.  Remember how Gerald Green saved the Chicago playoff series for us a few years back?  Carson Edwards is our new Gerald Green, hopefully with better defense.

2.  Grant Williams is very versatile.  He rebounds, he can shoot 3s, he has a good handle and has high BBIQ.  I saw a highlight where he got a rebound and went full court and laid it down to Robert Williams for the jam.  3 NBA skills demonstrated in that one play:  traffic rebounding, full court ball handling and court vision.  And he has a baseline spin move that is old school.   If he can offset his tweener height with his strength he could end up being a real workhorse and stud.

3.  Robert Williams needs minutes.  He has shown tremendous improvement without them, he will improve even faster with them.  His passing is looking like a vastly underreported and appreciated skill.  26 year old Poirier came to the NBA to play, and I look forward to seeing him do that, but young Robert Williams just made a solid argument for why he should be Kanter's back up and not Poirier.

4.  Tacko can play.  He could be nothing more than a raw-skilled flash-in-the-pan novelty or he could be the next Dikembe Mutombo.  I am interested in seeing what happens, what Danny does.  

5.  Tremont Waters is a long shot to make an NBA team due to his size but deserved to be drafted.

And we haven't even seen Romeo yet.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:31 am

I agree with everything you said , Bob, except that summer league wins and losses don't matter.Certainly, they are not of great consequence in the long run, but it is incumbent on everybody, including the coaches, to put forth their best effort. In this case , the chance to play at least one, possibly two, more games, was tossed away by a head-sratching decision , by Scott Morrison, to play a lineup of smalls while Memphis grabbed all the boards and dunked over their heads. If they keep score, it is because winning matters. When I was still able to play a little, it mattered in three on three pickup games and I'm damn sure it mattered to the players yesterday. If it didn't it should have. I'm not saying it will have a lingering effect, but it was, in my opinion, a shit job of game coaching. Learning to pull tight games out in the last two minutes is part of the process. Seeing how players perform in those situations is entirely different than cruising through blowouts.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:12 am

C’s not looking to win, didn’t even play Tacko in 2nd half, RW was out at crunch time, didn’t care about winning or putting in best team....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:16 am

jrleftfoot wrote:I agree with everything you  said , Bob, except that summer league wins and losses don't matter.Certainly, they are not of great consequence in the long run, but it is incumbent on everybody, including the coaches, to put forth their best effort. In this case , the chance to play at least one, possibly two, more games, was tossed away by a head-sratching decision , by Scott Morrison, to play a lineup of smalls while Memphis grabbed all the boards and dunked over their heads. If they keep score, it is because winning matters.  When I was still able to play a little, it mattered in three on three pickup games and I'm damn sure it mattered to the players yesterday. If it didn't it should have. I'm not saying it will have a lingering effect, but it was, in my opinion, a shit job of game coaching. Learning to pull tight games out in the last two minutes is part of the process. Seeing how players perform in those situations is entirely different than cruising through blowouts.

JR,

If you already know your studs can pull tight games out, and the purpose of summer league is to vette the players and see who has what, doesn't it make sense to play your non-studs, the still unknowns, and see if they can do it too, or do you just assume they can't an give up on them?

Besides, Scott Morrison is about as low on the Celtics coaching totem pole as you can get. Brad and Danny were there watching too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:49 am

I like Tacko and as much as anyone and want him to find a way onto our roster.

But to compare him to Mutombo is crazy, now lets get serious about the kid can do and all please?

I agree with all, that Edwards and Rob W. both showed as the best players out there for us. Their next steps will be to show they deserve rotational minutes in training camp and pre-season.

Grant W. looked good, but I worry how well his game will translate his first year with real NBA players. Summer league is a collection of one or two real NBA players per team and the rest D-league types.

Langfords season may end up a lot like Rob W. and A. Bradley's first years were.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:48 am

Summer league game or not, playing to win in any tournament type game is very important.

Very poor selection of personnel to finish out yesterday's game.

Players playing at 100% for a win and a coach coaching at 70%? Perhaps Ainge and Stevens took note?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:50 am

kdp59 wrote:I like Tacko and as much as anyone and want him to find a way onto our roster.

But to compare him to Mutombo is crazy, now lets get serious about the kid can do and all please?

I agree with all, that Edwards and Rob W. both showed as the best players out there for us. Their next steps will be to show they deserve rotational minutes in training camp and pre-season.

Grant W. looked good, but I worry how well his game will translate his first year with  real NBA players. Summer league is a collection of one or two real NBA players per team and  the rest D-league types.

Langfords season may end up a lot like Rob W. and A. Bradley's first years were.

Kdp,

I was using Mutombo for hyperbole. As I said I have no idea what he will be.

I suspect Romeo will get mote minutes than Bradley if for no other reason than that Rozier is gone so his minutes just freed up. Wanamaker will get a lot of yhem but there will be some leftover for Romeo.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down