Vincent Poirier addition should not be undervalued

5 posters

Go down

Vincent Poirier addition should not be undervalued Empty Vincent Poirier addition should not be undervalued

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:48 pm

https://chowderandchampions.com/2019/07/16/boston-celtics-vincent-poirier-addition-undervalued/

Vincent Poirier addition should not be undervalued

by Tarringo Basile-vaughan

2 days ago

French big man Vincent Poirier is excited to join the “mythical franchise” known as the Boston Celtics and his addition should not be undervalued.

There’s a new big man joining the Boston Celtics and his name is not Tacko Fall. Although that day may eventually come for the 7-foot-6 Summer League phenomenon, a player the team signed who has gone under the radar so far is French big man Vincent Poirier.

On Monday, Poirier and his former EuroLeague team, Baskonia, officially announced that he was signing with the Celtics, a team he referred to as a “mythical franchise.” Like Daniel Theis a couple seasons ago, the 6-foot-11 center comes with some skill around the basket that should help the team right away.

With both Al Horford and Aron Baynes now long gone, he should at least be in the mix for solid playing time in the front court. That may not over excite Boston Celtics fans as of mid-July, but his energized play will win them over once he starts contributing on the court.

Besides, this display of athleticism showcasing his defensive and offensive skills certainly will make him an entertaining player if anything else.

In averaging 11.9 points and 8.3 rebounds in the EuroLeague last season, Vincent Poirier earned All-EuroLeague Second Team honors. Although not the NBA, the Euroleague is a competitive league with NBA-type talent, which makes Poirier’s leap to the Celtics a dream come true for him.

The athletic big man wrote on his Instagram Monday:

“Today, I realized my dream by joining the #NBA and the mythical franchise of the Boston Celtics, I have a great thought for my family, my friends and relatives, but especially for my father who I know, looks at me from above. I am really looking forward to starting my NBA history.”

With Daniel Theis (who had his offer rescinded making him an unrestricted free agent) expected to re-sign, Poirier joins a front court of Enes Kanter, Robert Williams III and Theis. While these players combined don’t add up to the experience of Al Horford and Aron Baynes, it is a more athletic front court that should solve some of the rebounding issues, especially Kanter who brings more offense to big man rotation.

And while Vincent Poirier lack NBA experience, he is a player that should not be undervalued, especially playing under Brad Stevens. In the same way Daniel Theis contributed immediately, expect the same from Poirier.

Not only is he a rebounder and athletic around the rim, he is a rim protector and is an active pick-and-roll player who will definitely fit into Steven’s system. With an ability to knock down outside shots, he does have an opportunity to flourish with the Boston Celtics in a greater way than Theis.

At just 25 years old, there is still growth ahead of him and fans will quickly see his value once he finds his comfort in the NBA.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Vincent Poirier addition should not be undervalued Empty Re: Vincent Poirier addition should not be undervalued

Post by wideclyde Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:56 pm

The last sentence in this article kind of confuses me.

Seems that someone sees Poirier, at 25, has a lot growth still ahead of him and so many people feel that Fall, at only 23, may be finished improving.

Poirier may be smoother right now, but in a year, i doubt that he will be able to play ahead of Fall. At that time Poirier will be 26 and Fall still only 24.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Vincent Poirier addition should not be undervalued Empty Re: Vincent Poirier addition should not be undervalued

Post by dboss Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:17 pm

He will get a chance to show what he can do.

25 is old for an NBA rookie.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:48 am

dboss wrote:He will get a chance to show what he can do.

All that matters is he can play well and do his role....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:46 am

dboss wrote:He will get a chance to show what he can do.

I've always hated when during games the announcers call VETERAN Professional players rookies. A pet peeve of mine for sure, but players who have played as a pro should not be equated to REAL rookies who have never played pro ball before, IMO.

Poirier is a 6 or 7 year PRO veteran player NOT a rookie who's only game action was at the college level.

I fully expect his transition time to the NBA to be much like Theis, then say our top dratted rookie Langford (who will likely have a lost /whats it all about year like A. Bradley).
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:53 am

KDP,

I agree with your frustration with experienced European players termed "rookies" when they come to the NBA, but also understand at least part of why they get called rookies. The concept must come from the fact that there are very few European players who do not need some time to adjust to the speed of the NBA game.

With that said, it would be nice if Poirier does fit in right away with Boston.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am

wideclyde wrote:KDP,

I agree with your frustration with experienced European players termed "rookies" when they come to the NBA, but also understand at least part of why they get called rookies.  The concept must come from the fact that there are very few European players who do not need some time to adjust to the speed of the NBA game.

With that said, it would be nice if Poirier does fit in right away with Boston.

I think its just a thing from the past, when there were very few players who came over from Europe ( or other leagues) to play.

while these players are first year players in the NBA, they are NOT rookies but any definition that makes sense.

back in the day Sabonis was a rookie in 1995 , after he had played 14 years overseas?

I understand calling them "first year players", as that is what they are in the NBA...but to me rookie means a player who never played pro ball before.

like I said a pet peeve, but it always bothered me.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down