Berlin-T
cowens/oldschool
dboss
worcester
bobheckler
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Kanter, Poirier Should Give Boston Big Boost on Boards - Page 2 Empty Re: Kanter, Poirier Should Give Boston Big Boost on Boards

Post by swish Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:45 pm

Been a huge fan of the NBA since the first year in 1949 so I've been through 70 summers of expectations for the Celts - both high and low. Perhaps I've heard just about all the usual fanfare that takes place every summer and have become bored by it all and have allowed a little negativity to creep in. Time for me to take a vaction until October.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Kanter, Poirier Should Give Boston Big Boost on Boards - Page 2 Empty Re: Kanter, Poirier Should Give Boston Big Boost on Boards

Post by kdp59 Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:14 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:I’m all about speculating and I’ll even make a prediction....

and that prediction is.............?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:24 am

Well I did say how good Lavert was when he was unknown 2 years ago, then I said Nets were gonna win series vs 76ers and first game my blueprint was perfect....then it came crashing down.

Here’s one, Nets made big mistake getting rid of DRussell for Flathead, but guess they had to, to get Durant. That’s my new nickname for Irving, Flathead.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:38 am

swish wrote:Been a huge fan of the NBA since the first year in 1949 so I've been through 70 summers of expectations for the Celts - both high and low. Perhaps I've heard just about all the usual fanfare that takes place every summer and have become bored by it all and have allowed a little negativity to creep in.  Time for me to take a vaction until October.

swish

swish,

See you then. Have a great rest of the summer.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:56 am

swish wrote:If Kantor can put in 30 plus minutes per game and basically the same numbers that he has over the last 4 years - and doesn't have issues that may be viewed as detrimental to the team - then all this speculation about the backups is quite irrelevant.

swish
Swish

Kanter is not playing 30 MPG.

In 2014-15 he averaged 31 MPG.  Since then his numbers have been much lower.  I think he will play a maximum of 25 MPG and if his pick and roll defense is as poor as reported, maybe less than that

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/6447/enes-kanter
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:52 pm

international wrote:Poirier to the G League ? You got to be kidding.

International,

No kidding.

As with the majority of players coming to the NBA for their first taste of pro ball here, Poirier's ability to adjust to the NBA game is an unknown. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has some learning to do. Hopefully that's not the case, but it could very well be. His only experience with U.S. players was the 2016 summer league for the Magic. His numbers then were OK, in limited minutes. But that was just summer league, and three years ago.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 pm

NY Celt , the situation with Poirier is different from other players coming from Europe, by the draft or signed as free agents, He was not begging for an opportunity to play in the NBA, He was in a very good league and with offers from the Main teams in Europe , like Real Madrid, CSKA Moscu and Barcelona, and the Celtics scouted him and came with an offer to sign him, That was last year and he said no to that offer, because he did not want to be sitting on a bench , he gave priority to playing time over money and fame, so I don't think he accepted the offer this year to be on the deep bench and let alone on the G league.Regards my friend.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:25 pm

international wrote:NY Celt , the situation with Poirier is different from other players coming from Europe, by the draft or signed as free agents, He was not begging for an opportunity to play in the NBA, He was in a very good league and with offers from the Main teams in Europe , like Real Madrid, CSKA Moscu and Barcelona, and the Celtics scouted him and came with an offer to sign him, That was last year and he said no to that offer, because he did not want to be sitting on a bench , he gave priority to playing time over money and fame, so I don't think he accepted the offer this year to be  on the deep bench and let alone on the G league.Regards my friend.
I respect what your saying, and because of your observations I’m sure he can play and help us, but like any player, playing time is earned by what you do on the floor....sure he’ll be everything you said and we’ll be thrilled.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:40 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Well I did say how good Lavert was when he was unknown 2 years ago, then I said Nets were gonna win series vs 76ers and first game my blueprint was perfect....then it came crashing down.

Here’s one, Nets made big mistake getting rid of DRussell for Flathead, but guess they had to, to get Durant. That’s my new nickname for Irving, Flathead.
                     You're insulting a whole tribe of Native Americans
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:43 am

The Flathead tribe has denied Kyrie membership.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by international Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:39 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
international wrote:NY Celt , the situation with Poirier is different from other players coming from Europe, by the draft or signed as free agents, He was not begging for an opportunity to play in the NBA, He was in a very good league and with offers from the Main teams in Europe , like Real Madrid, CSKA Moscu and Barcelona, and the Celtics scouted him and came with an offer to sign him, That was last year and he said no to that offer, because he did not want to be sitting on a bench , he gave priority to playing time over money and fame, so I don't think he accepted the offer this year to be  on the deep bench and let alone on the G league.Regards my friend.
I respect what your saying, and because of your observations I’m sure he can play and help us, but like any player, playing time is earned by what you do on the floor....sure he’ll be everything you said and we’ll be thrilled.
Cowens/old school , of course playing time is earned and I am not pretending to be the coach, But in my opinion there is a lack of respect to the players coming from European leagues and that is not only in the NBA , in MLB the players coming from Japan or Korea are seen as inferior players and that is not fair.My question is , did you see Daniel Theis playing on the the G League ? So why a proven player in Europe like Poirier need to play in the G League to show if he can play with the best ?

international

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:25 am

Kanter is not a long term solution at center. He is likely gone next year. He will get a raise somewhere else because the Celtics always seem to enhance the value of guys that play for them.

VP is an unknown quantity. None of us knows how he will play. Like Theis he comes over at 25 years old. I do not expect a lot of upside. But we need to actually see how he plays. He too is likely a short term player.

We know Kanter is a proven NBA center so that gives me hope that we will get more rebounds and pitp.

RW is still a young pup. I think he will develop into an excellent rebounding center and defender. I also expect his offense to evolve. He does have good mechanics at the line. I expect his midrange game to develop.

We have 3 centers so there is little reason for pessimism.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 am

I too think that is the plan. Let RW develop into a good center...then stick with him.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:37 am

I am extremely encouraged by all the reports that are saying that Robert Williams is always in they gym putting in the Time, Thank The Lord.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:42 am

dboss,

If:

We know Kanter is a proven NBA center . . .

Then why:

Kanter is not a long term solution at center. He is likely gone next year.  ??

We haven't had a proven starting center in years.

Just wondering.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:32 pm

bobheckler wrote:I am extremely encouraged by all the reports that are saying that Robert Williams is always in they gym putting in the Time, Thank The Lord.

bob

haha....I saw what you did there....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:38 pm

Kanter has a career PER over 20, and when he gets minutes, it is closer to 23 or 24 since 2015. To get a guy who has played several seasons in a row with those PER numbers for under 5 million per season is an absolute steal. From what I can gather, the reason Enes has slipped through the cracks is the perception that he sucks on D. That may be true, but PER at least tries to quantify both offensive and defensive stats, and if anyone can maximize Enes' defensive abilities, it is Brad. I am cautiously hoping Enes helps us get over Al more quickly than expected.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:43 pm

gyso wrote:dboss,

If:

We know Kanter is a proven NBA center . . .

Then why:

Kanter is not a long term solution at center. He is likely gone next year.  ??

We haven't had a proven starting center in years.

Just wondering.

gyso
$$$$$$$$$$$

The Celtics got him on the cheap.  If he puts up 14 PPG and say around 10 boards,  he will be looking for a new deal after this year by opting out of his 2nd year.  His profile will be elevated because he is playing for The Boston Celtics.  Next year's free agency class is not deep

Boston has 2 big time money decisions coming up.  Jaylen Brown and then the next year, Jason Tatum and just maybe GH opts out and resigns a 3-4 year deal.  I'm only guessing that they will not be able to retain Kanter after this year because of the cost.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:24 pm

One factor that makes Kanter different from other quality NBA players is that he not only needs to play in the NBA, he needs to play in the 29 franchise cities that are in the US.  He cannot go to play in Europe or China or anywhere else, regardless of the money, because if he does the government of Turkey will extradite him.  It's one thing to work out special deals so that he can travel to Toronto a few times a year, or even have to stay home while the team travels there (Senator Markey is trying to work something out for him) but he cannot live there, nor can he live anywhere he could be extradited from.  That puts him in a weaker negotiating position.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:55 pm

Erdogan is a nut case who also lusts for Kanter's blood.

Last edited by worcester on Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:52 pm

Good point  by Bob Heckler re Kanter's bargaining power, and yes  it is a shame that he is in that position , worcester. His standing up to Erdogan says more about his character than all the faux media and fan judgements.  We don't know jackshit about these guys characters.For basketball purposes, practice, stay in shape, and control your ego. That's more common sense than character. I think most, if not all , of us agree that Williams has the biggest upside and needs to play. That  doesn't mean that, at this stage in his development, he can give us what Enes can , and he comes dirt cheap. As for Poirer, let's see what he can do. Yes, he's  coming into the NBA at 25. All that means to me is that he is just 25 yoa. Could have a bench role for years to come. He played close to the same number of games in Europe as Theis, had better stats in every category except three point shooting. The video I watched showed a rebounding machine with strength , ups, hands and the ability to run the floor. Plus , he is 7 feet tall.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:34 pm

dboss wrote:Kanter is not a long term solution at center.  He is likely gone next year.  He will get a raise somewhere else because the Celtics always seem to enhance the value of guys that play for them.  

VP is an unknown quantity.  None of us knows how he will play.  Like Theis he comes over at 25 years old.  I do not expect a lot of upside.  But we need to actually see how he plays.  He too is likely a short term player.

We know Kanter is a proven NBA center so that gives me hope that we will get more rebounds and pitp.

RW is still a young pup.  I think he will develop into an excellent rebounding center and defender.  I also expect his offense to evolve.  He does have good mechanics at the line.  I expect his midrange game to develop.

We have 3 centers so there is little reason for pessimism.
                    +1
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:12 pm

jr ...as they say, you can't teach height...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:20 pm

If Kantor can play, board, score, defend better and contribute in his big man role, why wouldn’t you want to keep him? He can get more rebounds and post up on Al all day IMHO. We need better rebounding.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:25 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Kanter has a career PER over 20, and when he gets minutes, it is closer to 23 or 24 since 2015. To get a guy who has played several seasons in a row with those PER numbers for under 5 million per season is an absolute steal. From what I can gather, the reason Enes has slipped through the cracks is the perception that he sucks on D. That may be true, but PER at least tries to quantify both offensive and defensive stats, and if anyone can maximize Enes' defensive abilities, it is Brad. I am cautiously hoping Enes helps us get over Al more quickly than expected.
Agreed his defense is not as bad as pundits say, it’s not like he’s Kelly O....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next