Jayson Tatum’s skills coach details his big summer

4 posters

Go down

Jayson Tatum’s skills coach details his big summer Empty Jayson Tatum’s skills coach details his big summer

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:26 am

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2019/07/24/jayson-tatum-skills-coach-details-his-big-summer/e9Z61AWkCZSRSoc3igsgzK/story.html

Jayson Tatum’s skills coach details his big summer

By Adam Himmelsbach Globe Staff,

July 24, 2019, 3:01 p.m.

Jayson Tatum’s skills coach details his big summer ZW4P73DN64I6TH7DYAZXKAWNCQ
Jayson Tatum made 37.3 percent of his 3-pointers last season after making a blistering 43.4 percent from beyond the arc as a rookie.(FILE/BARRY CHIN/GLOBE STAFF)

Jayson Tatum’s skills coach, Drew Hanlen, bristles when he hears some of the criticism of his pupil. Yes, Tatum’s 3-point percentage dipped during his second pro season, but that was to be expected of a player who shot a blistering 43.4 percent from beyond the arc as a rookie.

Last season, Tatum made 37.3 percent of his 3-pointers, the 50th-best mark in the NBA, and better than stars such as James Harden, Jamal Murray, Damian Lillard, and Devin Booker.

Was there room for improvement? Of course. Was there reason to panic? Of course not.

“I mean, he shot 40 percent over his first two years in the NBA,” Hanlen said in a telephone interview. “I think people overcriticize him. If he would have shot 37 percent his rookie season, everyone would have freaked out, and now he shot 37 and people look at is as a drop-off. But I think there was just some frustration with him not being in the role he thought he would be in after the previous season.”

Last season there was frustration pretty much everywhere, as the Celtics stumbled before being punted out of the playoffs in the second round by the Bucks, falling well short of the NBA Finals appearance so many expected of them.

The roster has undergone a massive makeover since then. Kyrie Irving, Al Horford, Marcus Morris, Terry Rozier, and Aron Baynes are gone, and even with the additions of players such as Kemba Walker and Enes Kanter, there is no question that Boston will be counting on Tatum to become a true star.

So this summer Tatum and Hanlen have been working to do that. Despite the mild dip in 3-point shooting, Hanlen is not tinkering with Tatum’s form. Instead, the two are focused on a few primary goals. They want him to get to the free throw line more, they want him to take fewer midrange shots, and they want him to take more 3-pointers, even in frenetic settings.

“The offense is going to put him in situations and he’s going to have to make the right play,” Hanlen said. “I think last year the biggest thing was he settled too much. When he felt contact he would sidestep, step away, and sort of fade away, which he’s capable of making but also are not high-percentage shots, and they don’t cause fouls. It’s just about being a little bit smarter on the way he attacks.”

Last season, according to NBA.com, Tatum attempted 276 midrange shots and made just 36.6 percent of them. He took 311 3-pointers — which are considerably more valuable — and made 37.3 percent of them. Tatum took 4.6 3-pointers per game, and Hanlen believes that number should be closer to 8.

There were times Tatum was noticeably less comfortable beyond the arc, opting to dribble inside into a more challenging, midrange offering. Hanlen said that was partly because when Tatum was at full speed, or moving near the 3-point line at awkward angles, he was not always able to instantly re-center for sidestep, step-back or off-the-dribble 3-pointers. So they are working on all of those things now.

“We’ve been doing a lot where he’s just not allowed to shoot midrange shots,” Hanlen said. “So it forces him to do it, and he’s starting to kind of realize when he settles for the jump shot and when he should get downhill. He’s seen it on film and now we’re forcing him to do it by taking away the midrange, and then it’s just about making the right decision. Sometimes the midrange is the best shot, sometimes the three is the best shot, and sometimes the rim. It’s about putting it all together.”

Last season, the Celtics ranked 29th in the NBA in free throw attempts per game. Tatum’s size, ballhandling skills, and threat as an outside shooter should allow him to draw plenty of fouls. But last season he took just 4.4 free throws per 100 possessions, dropping from 5.2 his rookie season. (Harden, for reference, averaged 14.7.)

“Driving and getting downhill through contact and being able to finish around the rim is our No. 1 focus,” Hanlen said. “And then consistency when he’s shooting off the dribble or off a full-speed move from the 3-point line. Those are our two things, just getting to the rim and drawing fouls, and finishing when you do get to the rim, and then consistency with threes. We just want him to be more efficient, and we think he will be. He’s as locked in as I’ve ever seen him. He’s very, very locked in.”

Hanlen has also been working with Celtics forward Semi Ojeleye and summer league standout Tacko Fall.

Hanlen said that Ojeleye, who made 31.8 percent of his 3-pointers over his first two seasons with the Celtics, has battled some wrist flexibility issues. But he said the problem has been helped greatly by physical therapy this summer.

They have made two minor tweaks to Ojeleye’s shooting form, and they are focused on adding more arc to his shot.

“Now, we’re just getting a ton of reps up so he gets comfortable,” Hanlen said. “He’s shooting well so far in five on five. Now it’s just about making sure he has the confidence to knock them down this season.”

The 7-foot-7-inch Fall, meanwhile, has been working with Hanlen mostly on hook shots, balance, screen-setting, and free throws. Fall made just 43.2 percent of his free throws at Central Florida. Hanlen said they are in “phase one” of his free throw adjustment, which includes briefly pausing before releasing the ball.

This weekend, Fall is returning home to Senegal to take part in the NBA’s “Basketball Without Borders” program there. Hanlen and his most famous client, 76ers center Joel Embiid, will be there, and Hanlen is eager to see Fall work against perhaps the game’s top center.

“I’ll throw him up against Joel a little bit and he’ll get to work out some with Joel,” Hanlen said, “which will be a really good experience for him.”

bob
MY NOTE:  This article makes me very happy.  Not only does it point out how Jayson is understanding his opportunity and is working on his game to take advantage of it, but it also says that Drew Hanlen is working with Tacko.  I have no idea if Tacko will improve enough to make the final roster but this is how we find out.  He puts in the work with an elite skills trainer and then we watch and see how much he retains in September/October. At his size all Tacko needs to be able to do is set screens and hit fritos. The rest (rebounding, shot blocking, dunking) will come naturally to him. Pick-and-pop would be nice but pick-and-roll would be good too, and he doesn't need much to do that well except setting a good screen (solid, wide and not moving) and then going to the front of the rim and put his hands up. If they foul him he has to make them pay and 43% doesn't cut it. He needs to get over 70% or it'll be Hack-a-Fall whenever he's on the floor.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum’s skills coach details his big summer Empty Re: Jayson Tatum’s skills coach details his big summer

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:00 am

“Driving and getting downhill through contact and being able to finish around the rim is our No. 1 focus,”

Exactly what he needs to do. He is way too physically gifted to not shoot twice as many FT per game as he did last year.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum’s skills coach details his big summer Empty Re: Jayson Tatum’s skills coach details his big summer

Post by dboss Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:36 am

After reading this article I wonder if that little 'hitch' in his jump shot that shows up now and then will be gone.

Tatum is only 21 and it is going to take time for him to develop that man strength that will allow him to finish through contact.  The issue that I see with him is avoidance of contact and the lack of strength.  He can get there.  It will be interesting to see is his off season work is noticeable.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:39 am

mrkleen09 wrote:“Driving and getting downhill through contact and being able to finish around the rim is our No. 1 focus,”

Exactly what he needs to do.  He is way too physically gifted to not shoot twice as many FT per game as he did last year.  

MrKleen,

EXACTLY so.  Kobe may be Jayson's favorite player but more than a few people have said his game is closer to Pierce's than Bryant's.  Well...

Year 1

player...............mpg........fta/gm.........fta/36mins.....ft%........ppg........ppg from ftm
Paul Pierce-------34.0------4.1-----------4.3------------71.3------16.5------2.9
Jayson Tatum----30.5------3.2-----------3.8------------82.6------13.9------2.7

Year 2

player...............mpg........fta/gm.........fta/36mins.....ft%........ppg........ppg from ftm
Paul Pierce-------35.4------6.2-----------6.3------------79.8------19.5------4.9
Jayson Tatum----31.1------2.9-----------3.3------------85.5------15.7------2.5

Year 3

Paul Pierce-------38.0------9.0-----------8.5------------74.5------25.3------6.7
Jayson Tatum----???

Pierce was 2 years older than Jayson at the same point in their careers, so there's that, and Pierce was THE go-to guy so he got a lot more touches and shots, but he also attacked the rim and forced defenders to stop him without fouling him.  Jayson does settle for the pull up a bit too much, he should keep going north-south until there is contact and he gets the better shot or the whistle.  This article says they are changing that, and that is excellent news.

If Jayson can double his ftas/game this year he would still be far behind Pierce but it would add 2.5ppg onto his average and bring him up to 18.2ppg, and that's without any other improvements or changes (i.e. more fgas, more 3pt fgas, better fg%).  People start talking about being an All-Star when they are scoring 20ppg or more.  18+ would put Jayson so close he will be able to smell it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:57 am

Despite the mild dip in 3-point shooting, Hanlen is not tinkering with Tatum’s form. Instead, the two are focused on a few primary goals. They want him to get to the free throw line more, they want him to take fewer midrange shots, and they want him to take more 3-pointers, even in frenetic settings.

“The offense is going to put him in situations and he’s going to have to make the right play,” Hanlen said. “I think last year the biggest thing was he settled too much. When he felt contact he would sidestep, step away, and sort of fade away, which he’s capable of making but also are not high-percentage shots, and they don’t cause fouls. It’s just about being a little bit smarter on the way he attacks.”

My two takeaways from these two paragraphs:

1. Drew Hanlen is not concentrating on his shot.

2. Drew Hanlen is trying to fix what Kobe broke last summer.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:49 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jayson-tatum-shows-off-flurry-044101459.html

Jayson Tatum shows off a flurry of moves playing 1-on-1 with Bradley Beal and Chris Paul

Michael DePrisco, NBC Sports Boston

8 hours ago

Tis the season to overreact to videos of NBA players working out in the offseason.

This time around, we watch Celtics star Jayson Tatum play 1-on-1 with Wizards guard Bradley Beal and the newly minted member of the Thunder, Chris Paul. All three of them work with prominent skills coach Drew Hanlen, who's other known clients include Joel Embiid, Mo Bamba, Zach Lavine and Semi Ojeleye, among others.

Drew Hanlen
@DrewHanlen
Here are a few clips from yesterday’s 1v1 battle between @RealDealBeal23 @jaytatum0 & @CP3!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1154590361584459777
8:12 PM - Jul 25, 2019

Hanlen gave an update on Tatum's development this summer recently and said his focus has been on shooting more threes, getting to the rim more and limiting mid-range jumpers. One development you can get a glimpse into is him shooting threes off the dribble quicker and with more rhythm.

With the departures of Kyrie Irving and Al Horford, Tatum is expected to be a focal point in the Celtics' offense alongside Kemba Walker and Jaylen Brown. Increasing his efficiency by taking more threes should help him make the All-Star team and average over 20 points, which is a goal he has already set for himself.

Beal and Paul are good defenders, but we can't get too carried away with these videos. However, it's fun to watch a player use new moves against the NBA's elite, so, by all means, watch the video 50 times over like the rest of us.

Tatum will likely get a chance to put all of these new moves to work, as he's a near-lock to make Team USA's final roster for the FIBA World Cup next month. There he will get a chance to play with Kemba Walker and possibly Brown and Marcus Smart as well.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:00 am

It cool watching that video and I know the NBA has changed, but seriously - Tatum is so much bigger than those two.  He should be taking them down low over and over and over again.  He is 6' 9" - pound the shit out of these guys.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:20 am

mrkleen09 wrote:It cool watching that video and I know the NBA has changed, but seriously - Tatum is so much bigger than those two.  He should be taking them down low over and over and over again.  He is 6' 9" - pound the shit out of these guys.

MrKleen,

I couldn't agree more. This is more of a "skills" league now but still, if you have height and weight over a player, take them where their speed doesn't help them and your height and weight help you. Seems intuitively obvious to me.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down