‘Everything happens for a reason. Now I’m a Boston Celtic.’: Kemba Walker talked about why he chose to come to Boston

4 posters

Go down

‘Everything happens for a reason. Now I’m a Boston Celtic.’: Kemba Walker talked about why he chose to come to Boston Empty ‘Everything happens for a reason. Now I’m a Boston Celtic.’: Kemba Walker talked about why he chose to come to Boston

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:41 pm

Jackie Mac interview with Kemba:

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2019/07/23/kemba-walker-celtics-kyrie-irving-brad-stevens

Kemba Walker is “super excited” to be a Boston Celtic.

In an interview with ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan, that aired on July 17, Walker said he’s adjusting well to his move from Charlotte to Boston.

“It’s been amazing,” Walker said. “The feeling of being loved is something that everyone wants, and as soon as I got here, that’s the feeling I got.”

While he knows he’ll have a huge responsibility as the team’s new point guard, he isn’t afraid of the comparisons made between him and former Celtics guard, Kyrie Irving.

“I guess it’s going to come with the territory. It wasn’t a good season for those guys last year…Now that I’m coming in and taking Ky’s place, I know I’m going to be asked questions about him…We know how great of a player Kyrie Irving is and it just didn’t work out.”

He’s is, however, optimistic about his position on the team: “Hopefully I can come in and it works out, that’s my plan,” he said. When asked about why he chose the Celtics, Walker credited both the team’s success and head coach Brad Stevens in his decision.

“Boston was more appealing to me because of the amount of banners they have and how they compete on a night-in-night-out basis,” he said. “Coach Stevens, who’s a great coach, has had a lot of success in this league as a head coach. He’s a guy who was a factor in my decision as well.”

As far as his relationship with the other Celtics players, Walker said his leadership style will be tough when needed, but always considerate.

“You have to be [tough]. If there is something to be said, you can say it, [but] there is ways to say things. I would never say anything to bring a guy down, it’s all positive.”

Walker has been getting along well with his teammates so far. He called Jaylen Brown “down to Earth” and spent time with  Jayson Tatum in Paris for a Jordan Brand event. It was there that Tatum told him what to expect if he chose to join them in Boston.

“[Tatum] didn’t say come here.. It was more so about the city, about the fans, the atmosphere, Coach Stevens.”

Ultimately, he’s happy about his decision.

“As time went on I started to get so excited about change, a new situation. I think everything happens for a reason. Now I’m a Boston Celtic. I’m super excited.”

The actual video of the interview is better than the accompanying BDC synopsis. After the pretentious clown show that was a Kyrie Irving interview, it is an absolute pleasure to listen to this guy. He just gets it. For Kemba, leadership is necessary to get the most out of himself and his team. Contrast that understanding with our previous point guard who saw leadership as something he needed to put on his resume to further his 'brand'/'legend'. It is also nice to hear someone who doesn't struggle to use big words whose meaning he doesn't quite understand, and whose syntax is straightforward and logically sound. If he continues to perform on the court like he has the last several years, this city is going to love Kemba.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

‘Everything happens for a reason. Now I’m a Boston Celtic.’: Kemba Walker talked about why he chose to come to Boston Empty Re: ‘Everything happens for a reason. Now I’m a Boston Celtic.’: Kemba Walker talked about why he chose to come to Boston

Post by Matty Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:18 pm

I am excited about Kemba on several levals.

First I think he gets it, one of the first things he talked about was the banners..

Other things he spoke of was Coach and it seemed like a sophomore was in his ear as well, if Tatum is recruiting now imagine his pull when he is a 2 or 3 time all star!

Something not said but I feel needs to be touched on was a constant knock on Boston in the past was the teams inability to land major free agents. This has been brought up a lot in the media-all the while brushing aside the tiny matter of us never having had the money to pursue top free agents.

In the past few seasons we have landed Al, Gordan and now Kemba in free agency. I think it's time to lay to rest that talking point.

Also and this is very important: I've heard no intell in regard to Kemba possibly being a flat earther.

For me the circle is now complete, I did not like the previous starting point guard before he came to Boston, and hated the move that brought him here. Once he was here though I really loved the talent he had and at the end was afraid to lose it for nothing.

However while Kemba isn't AS talented, I beleive we have a much better fit for the team and the team will work much better because of that in the end.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

‘Everything happens for a reason. Now I’m a Boston Celtic.’: Kemba Walker talked about why he chose to come to Boston Empty Re: ‘Everything happens for a reason. Now I’m a Boston Celtic.’: Kemba Walker talked about why he chose to come to Boston

Post by gyso Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:48 pm

So, nothing from Kemba about getting his number retired someday?

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:11 pm

gyso wrote:So, nothing from Kemba about getting his number retired someday?

Don’t start you! affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:51 pm

bobc33 wrote:

Don’t start you!  affraid

I was just pointing out one big difference between Kemba and that crazy fella drunken  .  I didn't mean to get on your last nerve.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:34 pm

gyso wrote:
bobc33 wrote:

Don’t start you!  affraid

I was just pointing out one big difference between Kemba and that crazy fella drunken  .  I didn't mean to get on your last nerve.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down