Kemba Walker keeps acing the moment that Kyrie Irving got most horribly wrong as a Celtic

+4
dboss
Shamrock1000
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Kemba Walker keeps acing the moment that Kyrie Irving got most horribly wrong as a Celtic Empty Kemba Walker keeps acing the moment that Kyrie Irving got most horribly wrong as a Celtic

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:59 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/kemba-walker-keeps-acing-moment-031834597.html

Kemba Walker keeps acing the moment that Kyrie Irving got most horribly wrong as a Celtic

John Tomase
NBC Sports Boston

Sep 13, 2020, 8:18 PM

Kyrie Irving's Celtics low point wasn't his disgraceful capitulation vs. Milwaukee in last year's conference semifinals, because by then we already knew they were cooked and he was gone.

It actually came five months earlier in Orlando. You remember the play. Down two with a couple of seconds left, Gordon Hayward found Jayson Tatum curling off a pick and the second-year man missed a contested baseline fallaway at the buzzer.

A pouting Irving immediately rushed Hayward, arms outstretched in the universal symbol of, "You A-hole!" Irving wanted the ball inbounded to Al Horford before coming his way. It's a play the Celtics had run a year earlier for Isaiah Thomas to tie a game against the Grizzlies. Irving already looked agitated with head coach Brad Stevens coming out of that huddle. Kyrie clearly wanted the play to be about Kyrie.

Rather than support a teammate for making a split-second decision that set up one of the game's burgeoning young stars, Irving launched into one of those narcissistic postgame jeremiads that sweet Jesus no one misses, ranting about his young team's inexperience, need to learn, and repeated failure to meet the moment.

"It's not easy to be great," he noted, conveniently overlooking the run to Game 7 of the conference finals a year earlier without him, besides which, of course it wasn't easy -- you try achieving greatness when your best player spends the season hectoring and belittling the young talent around him. When Irving inevitably left for Brooklyn last summer, it wasn't a tragedy. It was a gift.

Out went Irving and in came Kemba Walker, himself an All-Star, though not quite as talented or accomplished. While Walker brought experience, it wasn't exactly of the championship variety. Over eight seasons in Charlotte, his Hornets had only reached the playoffs twice, losing each time to the Heat in the first round.

If the 2019 Celtics were defined by Irving's scowl, they're now all about Walker's smile. It's relentlessly cheery, whether he's bemoaning a bad call or celebrating a teammate. And while watching the Celtics stave off the defending champion Raptors last week, it was hard to miss the difference between late-game Kemba and late-game Kyrie.

In Game 3, right before Toronto's miracle win, Walker found Daniel Theis with a half-second left for the tie-breaking dunk. It was as beautifully unselfish a play as you'll see, Walker drawing four defenders like a bug magnet and then dropping a no-look bounce pass for the throwdown. It should've won the game, but OG Anunoby stuck a dagger at the buzzer.

That just set the stage for a classic seven-game slugfest. After Walker missed a potential game-winning layup in Game 6, he found himself with the ball in his hands again in the closing moments of Game 7 and the Celtics clinging to a two-point lead. Did he force a shot? Nope. Once again he drew multiple defenders, and once again he laid the ball off for a less heralded teammate, this time rookie Grant Williams, who was fouled after a bounce pass through the thickets somehow found his hands.

And those two plays said everything. At pivotal moments in the playoffs, Walker didn't lecture his teammates, he trusted them. He didn't demand that they give him the damn ball, he put it on a tee for them. He didn't wave his hands while pleading for an explanation doomed to be unsatisfactory, he thrust them over his head in celebration.

As the Celtics prepare to open the Eastern Conference Finals against the Heat on Tuesday, Walker will be a primary target of Miami's defense, but he won't be alone. Walker himself has already declared Tatum a superstar, Jaylen Brown looks like an All-Star, Marcus Smart somehow finishes games with grass stains on his jersey, and Hayward is nearing a return.

The simple swap of Kyrie for Kemba has transformed the Celtics from odious quitters to lovable overachievers. It's a safe bet that before this run ends, Walker will find himself dribbling down the clock with the game on the line, and the beauty of whatever happens next is it won't be about him.

bob
MY NOTE: Kemba has, in perhaps a smaller way, brought about the same change in our locker room that KG brought with him. It's demanding, but inclusive and unsparing of themselves.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kemba Walker keeps acing the moment that Kyrie Irving got most horribly wrong as a Celtic Empty Re: Kemba Walker keeps acing the moment that Kyrie Irving got most horribly wrong as a Celtic

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:43 am

Dboss, this is my point exactly. I am so glad Kemba is on this team, he has changed the entire culture of the team on and off the floor. Spending all that time with the young guys with Pop was the best thing that could have happened to the young Celtics. They formed a bond that is obvious every day on the floor. They all spoke in their post game remarks about how happy they were for Kemba, that he was finally getting this feeling of winning and being on a team that succeeds and supports one another.

Let Danny, Wyc and the rest figure out the finances, they knew what they were doing when they went after Kemba. They already knew what they were going to have to dish out in salary. Wyc said he had no problem with the Luxury tax on a winning team like this. They must be overjoyed with their decision to sign Kemba in place of the sour puss, selfish Kyrie. Look at GSW, they have had good solid players for years and are now mentioned in the race to try to convince Giannis to come to their team. They paid a steep luxury tax when they had Steph, KD, and Thompson, plus their supporting crew including Drammond Green. Iggy, and Livingston.

To have a winner they way we want one, you have to be ready to spend. This was a great decision, and one that I smile about every time Kemba takes the floor, he is such a great teammate.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Kemba Walker keeps acing the moment that Kyrie Irving got most horribly wrong as a Celtic Empty Re: Kemba Walker keeps acing the moment that Kyrie Irving got most horribly wrong as a Celtic

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:55 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:  This was a great decision, and one that I smile about every time Kemba takes the floor, he is such a great teammate.

I agree. I was never really sold on Kyrie even before he revealed himself as a puke. Do you think it was really a "decision"? Would management have resigned Kyrie if he had been willing? I think most would say they would have, but I wonder....Danny moved on to Kemba even before he hung up the phone with Kyrie. I am almost thinking he was relieved in that he could now sign a player who fit better without having to explain to the media and fans why he didn't sign someone everyone considered a superstar. It's like getting dumped by a hot girl who happens to be an awful human being - you actually feel kind of lucky to have dodged a bullet....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:12 am

Right on there. It did not take DA more than a minute to turn his mind to Kemba, so you are right, he may have been thinking of him even before Kyrie "moved on". I will always believe, in my heart, that Kyrie did not want to win or show up big in that Milwaukee series because it would have made him look even worse walking away. That series was lost before it began, and it left such a sour taste in Danny's mouth and management, that getting Kemba was like a "cleanse" of their team.

Brooklyn is not Kyrie's last team I firmly believe he will burn himself out there and they will rid themselves of his stench. KD does not know what he is getting himself in for. Why Nash wants any part of this is beyond me!

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:49 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Dboss, this is my point exactly.  I am so glad Kemba is on this team, he has changed the entire culture of the team on and off the floor.  Spending all that time with the young guys with Pop was the best thing that could have happened to the young Celtics.  They formed a bond that is obvious every day on the floor.  They all spoke in their post game remarks about how happy they were for Kemba, that he was finally getting this feeling of winning and being on a team that succeeds and supports one another.  

Let Danny, Wyc and the rest figure out the finances, they knew what they were doing when they went after Kemba. They already knew what they were going to have to dish out in salary. Wyc said he had no problem with the Luxury tax on a winning team like this.  They must be overjoyed with their decision to sign Kemba in place of the sour puss, selfish Kyrie.  Look at GSW, they have had good solid players for years and are now mentioned in the race to try to convince Giannis to come to their team. They paid a steep luxury tax when they had Steph, KD, and Thompson, plus their supporting crew including Drammond Green. Iggy, and Livingston.

To have a winner they way we want one, you have to be ready to spend.  This was a great decision, and one that I smile about every time Kemba takes the floor, he is such a great teammate.

Rosalie

I like Kemba Walker. He has been a breath of fresh air. The culture on this team was very positive before KI, so in some respects Kemba joined a group that was already a positive collection of young players. They were already a team that was very good including 2 trips to the ECF. Kemba cannot be compared to KG who came here after the team had lost 18 straight games the previous season and had not a clue on what it takes to win. Kemba stepped into a ready made situation for him and has fit right in. I do not see him as a guy who changed the culture of the team.

With respect to the money situation, it remains to be seen what the owners will be willing to spend. We really cannot compare them to GSW. GS won 3 out of 4 titles and Boston has not been to the senior prom since 2009. If we win the title this year there would be more incentive to keep spending. Tatum is obviously a keeper. Brown and Kemba are locked in but GH is not and until he is resigned I will take the Wyc promises with a grain of salt.

I would add that if I were Danny I would be looking to draft Kemba's replacement this year since neither Edwards nor Waters are viable replacements 2-3 years up the road. I would also look to draft another multi-skilled wing in the event that GH is not retained long term.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi,
Totally agree about KW>>KI. But why are people (John Tomase) still kicking the horse that's been dead a few months.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:51 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:  This was a great decision, and one that I smile about every time Kemba takes the floor, he is such a great teammate.

I agree. I was never really sold on Kyrie even before he revealed himself as a puke. Do you think it was really a "decision"? Would management have resigned Kyrie if he had been willing? I think most would say they would have, but I wonder....Danny moved on to Kemba even before he hung up the phone with Kyrie. I am almost thinking he was relieved in that he could now sign a player who fit better without having to explain to the media and fans why he didn't sign someone everyone considered a superstar. It's like getting dumped by a hot girl who happens to be an awful human being - you actually feel kind of lucky to have dodged a bullet....

Great analogy!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:33 pm

Yes, but they did what they had to do to win (GSW) I have read many articles that the owner almost begged KD to stay, after he had given Steph a super max contrat, and a huge one to Thompson. In order to win big in this league you have to pay big.

I do agree it may be time to draft someone who would be a backup, they need a young stud who will take over when Kemba goes home with a couple of rings in his possession!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:43 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Yes, but they did what they had to do to win (GSW)  I have read many articles that the owner almost begged KD to stay, after he had given Steph a super max contrat, and a huge one to Thompson.  In order to win big in this league you have to pay big.

I do agree it may be time to draft someone who would be a backup, they need a young stud who will take over when Kemba goes home with a couple of rings in his possession!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rosalie

I agree 100% that to build a long term contender you have to spend big but keep in mind that both Curry and Klay were still under relatively cheap contracts when GS won their first title (Since 1975)  in 2015)  Curry was making $11 mill per year (his second contract) and Klay was making $17.2 million also on his second contract.   KD left because he no longer wanted to play with Green but I would bet that if he stayed and GSW paid him they would have ended up moving Green.

Whatever owners say about being willing to spend it should be considered in the context of the Luxury tax which becomes progressively expensive based on the amount over the tax and if you are a repeat offender it gets even more punitive.  

If GH ops in as expected we will  be over the tax threshold.  Then the following year when JT contract kicks in we will still be over even if we let GH walk.  Then we start moving into the repeat offender in year 3 of being over the threshold.  

Winning this year would go a long way in keeping this team together but if we lose that means this team may still be missing something and/or our young guys still need more experience.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:49 am

This is all why I believe we will see a bit different Kemba in this round.  I think Brad has drafted the game plan that if MIA goes to the trick D's on Kemba, MIA will be forced out of the zones and to their worst nightmare, man-to-man and watch it all further disintegrate before their eyes.

We kinda know what's coming from the Celtics to counteract the zone problem.  We said it yesterday on the call.  Faster passing to overwork the zone, finding you spots which should/will be wide open with the defense playing catch up, upping our defense leading to fast breaks that don't allow the defense to set and JT/JB heading downhill.  It's as easy as getting Colonel Jessup to admit he ordered the Code Red!  Like dboss said, over in 5, and that may be giving them a game.    

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:23 am

Yes, we need to draft or somehow acquire the PG of our future. If we get 3 more good years out of Kemba that will be a blessing, and then the new kid can step in, whoever he is. I do expect Gordon to renegotiate to keep the Celtics out of luxury tax range, and then next year with Jayson's new contract we will be in it. Best not to be in luxury tax two or three years in a row. What say you, Get Your Socks On?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down