What role will Grant Williams play for the Boston Celtics?

+6
RosalieTCeltics
cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
dboss
jrleftfoot
bobheckler
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What role will Grant Williams play for the Boston Celtics? Empty What role will Grant Williams play for the Boston Celtics?

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:22 am

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2019/07/31/what-role-will-grant-williams-play-for-the-boston-celtics/

What role will Grant Williams play for the Boston Celtics?

by James Finneral

19 hours ago

Grant Williams had an extremely successful college career, receiving back-to-back SEC Player of the Year honors in his last two seasons at Tennessee. Now, Williams must find his place on a deep and talented Boston Celtics team.
At 6-7, Boston Celtics rookie Grant Williams is considered small for a power forward. Many NBA teams are scared to draft players that fall into the category of undersized power forward, but Draymond Green has showed that these players have value.

I do not believe Williams will steal the show in his first few years in Boston, but he will have a nice role that will certainly contribute to the team’s success.

Boston’s front-court has a lot of questions, which could lead to more opportunity for Williams. Enes Kanter is the only big man that fans can feel confident about heading into the season.

The Celtics will spend a good portion of the season figuring out what combination of big men works best. Williams definitely will not start, but he will be one of the first options off the bench at power forward.

I expect Boston to start Jayson Tatum or Gordon Hayward at power forward, but both of them like to play out on the wing. Williams is a relatively similar player to Semi Ojeleye so those two will likely be competing for minutes.

Williams and Ojeleye are extremely similar in terms of their physical makeup. They are listed at the same height and nearly the same weight, and neither of them are the most talented in terms of natural ability.

At the beginning of the season, I expect Williams and Ojeleye to get a similar amount of time. However, Williams has a higher upside because he is slightly more polished offensively. I would not be surprised to see Williams overtake Ojeleye as the season progresses.

To take his game to the next level, Williams must build a more consistent jump shot and even extend his range to behind the arc. The NBA is loaded with big men who can shoot the 3, and if you are a one-dimensional player you will most likely get lost in the shuffle.

Williams must compensate for being an undersized power forward with his athleticism. Since he is not going to finish above the trees, he must figure out a way to get around them. This will require working on his handle and using pump fakes to get defenders in the air.

Overall, the Celtics have another hard-nosed and gritty player in Williams. He is a guy that will mix it up down low and grab a ton of rebounds. Williams will be a productive member of this Boston team and he will find a nice role as the season moves along.

bob
MY NOTE:  When I made my projections for how many minutes each Celtic will play I said that GWill and Semi will be competing against each other for minutes.  I think GWill has more upside because I think his court vision and BBIQ will elevate him over Semi.  This will be Semi's last season in green, in my opinion, because Grant Williams will supplant him.  As a #22 pick we shouldn't set our bar too high for him and, in calling him a replacement for a #37 pick, I don't think I have.  If anything I've set the bar too low.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

What role will Grant Williams play for the Boston Celtics? Empty Re: What role will Grant Williams play for the Boston Celtics?

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:08 pm

I wonder how old the writer is. Surely he's heard of Charles Barkley, who probably stood closer to 6'5 than his listed height. Shawn Marion was 6'7. Draymont Green is hardly the first " undersized" power forward.I know the game has changed yadda yadda, but , if you want to go into the way back machine,Debusschere and our own beloved Satch were just 6'6. Williams is 6'7. Paul Millsap is 6'8. People are acting like GW is a freaking midget.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

What role will Grant Williams play for the Boston Celtics? Empty Re: What role will Grant Williams play for the Boston Celtics?

Post by dboss Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:12 pm

Williams does appear to have more polish than Semi but Semi is an NBA level defender.  Semi is quicker than Williams. 

I really do not see how you get 3 PF's who are all around the same size meaningful minutes.

Theis and Semi are veterans.  Williams is probably the more skilled player in terms of offensive skills but he also lacks the athleticism that Theis and Semi have.

Summer league certainly has a way of wetting our appetites for the potential we see but least I remind everyone that playing against NBA players is a totally different level of competition.  

I do not expect our rookies to log a lot of minutes including Williams.  You cannot really use him in a small ball lineup because he is not a good 3 point shooter (.291% career)  and you can't use him in a big boy lineup because he is too small.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:27 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:I wonder how old the writer is. Surely he's heard of Charles Barkley, who probably stood closer to 6'5 than his  listed height. Shawn Marion was 6'7. Draymont Green is hardly the first " undersized" power forward.I know the game has changed yadda yadda, but , if you want to  go into the way back machine,Debusschere and our own beloved Satch were  just 6'6. Williams is 6'7. Paul Millsap is 6'8. People are acting like GW is a freaking midget.
foot

Those guys you mentioned like Barkley could jump out of the gym. I do not think that is a good comparison.  Neither is Green, Milsap or Marion.

It is not just the 6' 7.5"  height,  it is the athleticism that is missing.  I do not think you can compare him to HOF'ers or future HOFers
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:07 pm

Point taken, Boss.To succeed, Williams will have to rely on positioning and skills. We'll see if he can do that.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:51 pm

I remember reading an article the day after the draft that gave the opinion G Williams' expected NBA position would be "basketball player." They were getting at the idea that by a combination of size and skill set, he doesn't fit into just one possible spot, but several.

I think there is the possibility he could even make Ojeleye expendable, since Ojeleye's offensive game isn't exactly world-class. If that's the case, one of G Williams' greatest early contributions could be adding roster flexibility. Namely the ability to adjust the roster to competition and the standings later in the season.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:29 pm

NYCelt wrote:I remember reading an article the day after the draft that gave the opinion G Williams' expected NBA position would be "basketball player." They were getting at the idea that by a combination of size and skill set, he doesn't fit into just one possible spot, but several.

I think there is the possibility he could even make Ojeleye expendable, since Ojeleye's offensive game isn't exactly world-class. If that's the case, one of G Williams' greatest early contributions could be adding roster flexibility. Namely the ability to adjust the roster to competition and the standings later in the season.
NYCelt 

I actually think Boston needs to pair DOWN their undersized PF.

I see Williams as a replacement for Semi so I agree that he may make Semi expendable.  Williams will have to prove that he can play defense at the 4.  He does not appear to be quick enough to defend at the 3.  

Foot

Williams looks like a swiss army knife.  He's very smart  and can do a lot of things well.  He would be the type of player Bill Belichick would draft.  I however have a wait and see approach.

I really do not see high impacts from any of the rookies their first year.  They will get limited minutes.

For example Williams averaged 31 MPG in college.  He is not getting 15 MPG this year unless someone is injured.  The position he plays has 2 to 3 layers of depth already.  So if he logs 10-12 MPG and scores 5 points with 3 rebounds do not be surprised.

Either Tatum or Hayward will probably start at 4.  Both of them are likely to get minutes there.  Then you have Theis and Semi.  And the Big Ball lineup will also required minutes at 4.  

My biggest complaint about drafting him actually has less to do with his skills and more to do with the ongoing redundancy for his position in a small ball scheme.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:00 am

His offense looks a lot more polished and advanced then Semi’s. I like Semi, but G Will was doing all the things that I was wishing Semi could do. For a big guy, Semi has no post game, no ability to initiate the offense, all Semi seems to have is a 3 point shot....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:15 am

Semi has yet to be effective on offense.  He still shoots a flat shot.  His defense is what gets him PT.

I would still suggest caution.  Summer League gives you a chance to play against prospects, most of whom cannot make a 15 man roster.  

GW is not going to get a lot of minutes this year.  He does however have a chance to develop into an NBA player that could carve out PT once he proves he can shoot the 3 ball.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:48 pm

dboss wrote:Semi has yet to be effective on offense.  He still shoots a flat shot.  His defense is what gets him PT.

I would still suggest caution.  Summer League gives you a chance to play against prospects, most of whom cannot make a 15 man roster.  

GW is not going to get a lot of minutes this year.  He does however have a chance to develop into an NBA player that could carve out PT once he proves he can shoot the 3 ball.
True in many cases, I think he will earn playing time, can do a lot of things....we will see

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:27 pm

Update:  9/6/19

Jay King
Jay King @ByJayKing
3 hours ago
Grant Williams said he's adjusting well to the 3-point line, has focused on developing his shot on the move. Said he's trying to become a pressure defender, rather than someone who plays more conservatively to avoid getting beaten. The latter, he said, has been biggest adjustment

reply retweet like

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
about 3 hours ago
Grant Williams on his role: "To impact not only winning but also impact the team and culture and the vibe. For me it’s always been about uplifting other guys and bringing that energy every single day. If I’m not doing that, I’m not doing my job."

reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:17 am

No question his development of his 3 point shooting is going to be a key for his game to take off and for him to get minutes. He definitely has some type of hard nosed Debushere/Silas elements to his game, but in that era there were no PF’s like Garnett or Duncan, or Giannis or AD. To be effective he will have to make those big 4’s follow him out to the 3 point line to open up the lane for his teammates to do further damage. I like his handle in small spaces and ability to get his shot off midrange that can surprise people, he can handle the ball from various parts of the floor that Semi cannot do.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:39 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:No question his development of his 3 point shooting is going to be a key for his game to take off and for him to get minutes. He definitely has some type of hard nosed Debushere/Silas elements to his game, but in that era there were no PF’s like Garnett or Duncan, or Giannis or AD. To be effective he will have to make those big 4’s follow him out to the 3 point line to open up the lane for his teammates to do further damage. I like his handle in small spaces and ability to get his shot off midrange that can surprise people, he can handle the ball from various parts of the floor that Semi cannot do.

Cow,

I think his BBIQ is higher than Semi's, based upon what I've seen so far, which is not much.  Let's face it:  NCAA and Summer League don't mean much at the NBA level.  The biggest difference between college and pros is the 4" muscle between their ears and we're 3 weeks away from seeing any of that.

Let me point out, also, that GW is saying the hardest adaptation/transition for him is to be more aggressive on defense.  This is no small thing.  Hanging back and letting them come to you is a damn sight different than getting up in their grill and still not letting them get around you.  If Williams gets sat this year more than you would like I'll bet it's because he either falls back into his comfort zone and doesn't go out to them OR he does and gets blown past.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:01 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:No question his development of his 3 point shooting is going to be a key for his game to take off and for him to get minutes. He definitely has some type of hard nosed Debushere/Silas elements to his game, but in that era there were no PF’s like Garnett or Duncan, or Giannis or AD. To be effective he will have to make those big 4’s follow him out to the 3 point line to open up the lane for his teammates to do further damage. I like his handle in small spaces and ability to get his shot off midrange that can surprise people, he can handle the ball from various parts of the floor that Semi cannot do.

Cow,

I think his BBIQ is higher than Semi's, based upon what I've seen so far, which is not much.  Let's face it:  NCAA and Summer League don't mean much at the NBA level.  The biggest difference between college and pros is the 4" muscle between their ears and we're 3 weeks away from seeing any of that.

Let me point out, also, that GW is saying the hardest adaptation/transition for him is to be more aggressive on defense.  This is no small thing.  Hanging back and letting them come to you is a damn sight different than getting up in their grill and still not letting them get around you.  If Williams gets sat this year more than you would like I'll bet it's because he either falls back into his comfort zone and doesn't go out to them OR he does and gets blown past.

bob

His offensive game has so much more than Semi’s, he can actually drive and post and is natural passer. Semi never looks comfortable offensively, still doesn’t quite know when to drive, cannot create at all. If G Will doesn’t get playing time it won’t be for lack of effort. I could also see him getting minutes as a bully ball 3, but with all our depth, that’s our deepest position, that would be tough....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:38 pm

Be careful not to shut the door too quickly on Semi. No one has worked harder during every off season to improve his game and get stronger and stronger. Brad has said he knows when Semi is in, after all players have left the practice facility. He up in the weight room slamming those weight balls and lifting and lifting. He has become a player Brad loves. So...Williams is going to have to beat him badly to replace him.

There is a place in this league for a guy like Semi. I hope his journey contines
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:10 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Be careful not to shut the door too quickly on Semi. No one has worked harder during every off season to improve his game and get stronger and stronger. Brad has said he knows when Semi is in, after all players have left the practice facility. He up in the weight room slamming those weight balls and lifting and lifting. He has become a player Brad loves.  So...Williams is going to have to beat him badly to replace him.  

There is a place in this league for a guy like Semi. I hope his journey H
He’s got more than enough muscle IMHO already, he needs to work on his handle even more than Jaylen, he needs more tools and awareness offensively. G Will can get the ball in the low post or high post and create, for a college kid he looked very comfortable in SL, Semi has never shown he can do any of that....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:28 pm

Grant Williams was the strongest guy during the combine with 20 reps in the bench press.  Strength for an undersized PF can make up for the lack of length.  His ability to maintain his position should be an advantageous.

However he  tends to be foul prone (averaged 4.4 per game during his college career) improved to 3.7 per game his last year.

One thing stood out while watching him during summer league.  He appears a step slow in transition.  His standing leap was only 26" with a maximum vertical of only 31.5".  Basically he plays well below the rim which is another physical challenge for a PF.

He is a smart young man and I know he will be working hard to improve.  His ability to knock down perimeter shots will impact his playing time as well.

He is one of my 2 dark horse candidates to start (RW and GW)

After watching the way Coach Pop has been using Jaylen Brown at the 4 we might as well throw his name in there as another guy that can give us minutes at the 4.  It's all about small ball.

Semi still remains a more experienced defensive player but with limited ball handling and passing skills.

There is no way I can begin to compare Grant with Draymond Green.  Green is a super athlete.  It is way too early to project a role for Williams but I think he will get an opportunity to play.  Brad has 6 new players to mix into the soup.  It is going to take him a while to figure out the best roles for the newbies and the remaining players from last year.

Training camp is about 3 weeks away.  The official opening day for camp is Sept 30.  Many of the Celtics have been working out at the facility so they have a jump on things.   Our 6 FIBA players have been going at it in a competitive environment and should come into camp in excellent condition.

If Team USA makes it to the finals that will be on September 15.  Our guys will need some timeoff before training camp begins.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Dboss I also read that when G Will was a freshman he weighed north of 260 pounds, so he is an athlete with NFL lineman type of strength that slimmed down to get to 240. I saw 2 plays in SL where he posted up and did a quick spin move for slams, agree he’s not an elite athlete, but he can still get where he needs to go with guile and strength. Must be a reason was 2 time SEC PoY. If he’s running to the rim full speed, I’d think twice about getting buried by him taking a charge....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:12 pm

Grant is still limited offensively.  He plays below the rim but has been pretty adept at scoring in the paint.  The NBA is a different animal.  Teams figure out pretty quickly what your strengths and weaknesses are.  

The most important thing that he can do to open up his game is to become a decent outside shooter.  That may get him the extra step he needs to get to the rim.  He is working on that right now.  

It is important that we give this kid a chance to develop.  Don't expect some high impact play from him.  Most rookies have limited roles unless they are high end talent.  I think whatever he can give the team is gravy.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:19 pm

summer league highlights = great potential

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBussIHMlck
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:35 pm

dboss wrote:summer league highlights = great potential

Great video, love the way he battles defensively and despite his limitations knows how to get his shot off down low in traffic. If he is a good impact role player that constantly battles for position and craves the dirty work which it sure looks like he does, I’m sure we will all be thrilled. That type of player will always have a place in the league.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:57 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:summer league highlights = great potential

Great video, love the way he battles defensively and despite his limitations knows how to get his shot off down low in traffic. If he is a good impact role player that constantly battles for position and craves the dirty work which it sure looks like he does, I’m sure we will all be thrilled. That type of player will always have a place in the league.
The highlights displays a lot of skills.  He is a rookie but his 3 years in college and physical development places him ahead of most of the one and done prospects.  

I think he will do just fine shooting the ball from deep because his mechanics look good.  He has a smooth stroke from outside and a soft touch in the paint.  This guy was tasked with being a post player in college.  On this team with the way they run their offense he will get opportunities to score from the outside.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:06 pm

I just saw Grant Williams being likened to another Boris Diaw, and thought about it a bit.  

Both undersized bigs.  Diaw 6'8", 250#; GWill 6'7", 240#.
Both strong wide-bodies.  
Both good shooters but not great from range.
Both very good passing bigs (Diaw maybe elite).
Both team-oriented players, not ME-ballers.
Both high IQ players.
Both late 1st round picks (Diaw #21, GWill #22)

Needless to say I would be ecstatic if we got a player of Diaw's caliber, especially at 22.  Anybody that Pop loved in his system, and won rings with, is our type of player.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:24 pm

If that comparison is anywhere near correct, Danny has a steal on his hands. Draw has been a journeyman player, dependable and a player
Who helps any team he is on.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:41 pm

http://bkref.com/tiny/MHYMt

Above is the record for 22nd round draft picks since the 1979-80 season - Just another fantasy-land late 1st round pick?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next