What role will Grant Williams play for the Boston Celtics?

+6
RosalieTCeltics
cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
dboss
jrleftfoot
bobheckler
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What role will Grant Williams play for the Boston Celtics? - Page 2 Empty Re: What role will Grant Williams play for the Boston Celtics?

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:49 am

swish wrote:  http://bkref.com/tiny/MHYMt

Above is the record for 22nd round draft picks since the 1979-80 season - Just another fantasy-land late 1st round pick?

swish

Swish,

Maybe, but each pick and each year is unique unto itself.  The 22nd pick this year is in no way related to last year's etc.  Different teams with different scouts drafting for different reasons.

Teams draft for different reasons.  They draft for need, they draft the best player available (considering our depth at wing Romeo Langford might fall into this category.  He fell because of his thumb).  They draft for a trade to another team who wants and needs that player.

I think the draft is a crap shoot after the first half dozen or so but even that's unreliable (see Morrison, Adam and Beasley, Michael.  Both #2 picks.  Also see Leonard, Kawhi @ 14 and Jordan, DeAndre @ 35).  Carsen Edwards has a clear NBA skill, shooting, and he was a 2nd rounder.  How many 2nd rounders make it?  Not many but some do.  E'tuan Moore was #55 and he actually was a starter (not for us).

I don't think Grant Williams is destined for greatness but he could easily be a player that was picked 22 but 4 years from now, when the rest of his draft is a known NBA quantity, he may look like a mid-lottery pick.  If he is "redrafted" at, say, 11 (half of 22 but still bottom 3rd of lottery) that would still make him a pretty valuable bench player.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

What role will Grant Williams play for the Boston Celtics? - Page 2 Empty Re: What role will Grant Williams play for the Boston Celtics?

Post by swish Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:42 pm

bobheckler wrote:

Above is the record for 22nd round draft picks since the 1979-80 season - Just another fantasy-land late 1st round pick?

swish

Swish,

Maybe, but each pick and each year is unique unto itself.  The 22nd pick this year is in no way related to last year's etc.  Different teams with different scouts drafting for different reasons.

Teams draft for different reasons.  They draft for need, they draft the best player available (considering our depth at wing Romeo Langford might fall into this category.  He fell because of his thumb).  They draft for a trade to another team who wants and needs that player.

I think the draft is a crap shoot after the first half dozen or so but even that's unreliable (see Morrison, Adam and Beasley, Michael.  Both #2 picks.  Also see Leonard, Kawhi @ 14 and Jordan, DeAndre @ 35).  Carsen Edwards has a clear NBA skill, shooting, and he was a 2nd rounder.  How many 2nd rounders make it?  Not many but some do.  E'tuan Moore was #55 and he actually was a starter (not for us).

I don't think Grant Williams is destined for greatness but he could easily be a player that was picked 22 but 4 years from now, when the rest of his draft is a known NBA quantity, he may look like a mid-lottery pick.  If he is "redrafted" at, say, 11 (half of 22 but still bottom 3rd of lottery) that would still make him a pretty valuable bench player.

bob

bob

No question that the totally unexpected can and does occur on occasion - but over the long haul averages develop that clearly define expectations - and it's here that the nba drafting fraternity do a pretty good job of predicting the degree of success of nba draftees. Since the 1979-80 season (41 years) the # 22 pick has had only 1 pick average 12 or more points per game. For the #1 pick it's 32. Every so often dreams come true and and that low draft pick gem lands on your team ,,, but don't hold your breath. The odds are against it.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:25 pm

swish
Not exactly  what I wanted to see.

Yet I still have a sense of optimism.  My expectations however are not as high as some.

Whatever he is able to do is gravy.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:35 pm

And here's a peek at the careers of players selected with the 1st pick since the 1979-80 season.

http://bkref.com/tiny/wdym5

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:40 pm

With wide open minutes available at PF, Grant has a great opportunity.  It does not really matter where he was drafted.  All that matters is how he plays and how he contributes to the team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:46 pm

Just what I have seen from summer league and highlights GW is going to be a better player than Semi, although Semi did show some improvement this past year. GW appears to be one of those players that actually learned how to play the game without being a great athlete. He learned how to get his shot off in college and probably will learn the same in the pros. There have been a lot of players that turn out to be solid players that were just plain smart and know how to position themselves in the paint. I think when he gets his chance he will be ready to contribute.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:21 pm

tardust wrote:Just what I have seen from summer league and highlights GW is going to be a better player than Semi, although Semi did show some improvement this past year.  GW appears to be one of those players that actually learned how to play the game without being a great athlete.  He learned how to get his shot off in college and probably will learn the same in the pros.  There have been a lot of players that turn out to be solid players  that were just plain smart and know how to position themselves in the paint.  I think when he gets his chance he will be ready to contribute.

I guess I will have to agree with myself on this one, GW is just plain better than Semi. We have seen Semi for a few years now and if we don't know what he is by now we are in bad shape. You can't change the stripes on a zebra. GW will be a productive NBA player. I hope he doesn't get lost on the bench.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:32 pm

Just one pre-season game, so still TBD.

He can grab a rebound (9 to be exact), but was not a great fit coming in as a back-court player at first.

He could work into some front-court minutes as the season progresses. Looks like there is some potential there.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:49 pm

When is the last time we saw Semi get 9 rebounds? you think he will be used as a backcourt player?
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:59 pm

The Natural

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:58 am

Williams, Edwards, Green and Fall all had good first games.

4 players and only 3 roster spots though.

someone said last night, that Semi may end up being the odd man out. Hard to disagree with that, right now.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:52 am

Kdp59

You do know that the Celtics picked up Semi's option so how can he be the odd man out.

I think the odd man out should be Struss.  His two way could go to Green.  Green played well in summer league and again in his deput.  He looks like a more athletic version of Tony Allen.

Tacko definitely makes the team.  Size really does matter.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:51 am

Green looks more athletic than Marcus Smart....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Green is 26YO and will likely go overseas if not on an NBA roster again this year I would think.

Ainge can eat Semi's contract, just like he did with Yabusele.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:22 pm

kdp59 wrote:Green is 26YO and will likely go overseas if not     on an NBA roster again this year I would think.

Ainge can eat Semi's contract, just like he did with Yabusele.
Danny does not write the checks.  He would have to go to ownership and say,  I blew $1.6 million on Semi and now I want to cut him because???? Might be able to guard the freak.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:42 pm

Makes more sense to lose Strus, I think. If Strus is the one to go, his 2-way can go to Tacko, and Tacko can go to Maine.

That is, if Tacko's agent doesn't throw a fit for him, insisting he be on the 15-man roster.

Tacko doesn't look quite ready for the NBA, and won't get better sitting on the bench. Playing somewhere like Maine, and getting in a lot of minutes, can only help.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:59 am

Grant Williams will make an impact on this team this year. He fills a role that is missing. He is smart. He plays hard. And is by all accounts, a nice young man with positive attitude.

I dont worry too much about what position he will play. He will be Brock Holt. He will play where he is put, and give the game what it needs. Would not be surprised to see him getting 10 and 8 on a nightly basis.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:49 am

mrkleen09 wrote:Grant Williams will make an impact on this team this year.  He fills a role that is missing.  He is smart.  He plays hard.  And is by all accounts, a nice young man with positive attitude.

I dont worry too much about what position he will play.  He will be Brock Holt.  He will play where he is put, and give the game what it needs.  Would not be surprised to see him getting 10 and 8 on a nightly basis.
+1 he’s very physical and very skilled, can contribute in many areas. I’m rooting for him, reminds me of old school PF’s from the 70’s with today’s training methodology and skills needed for the game today.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:15 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
+1 he’s very physical and very skilled, can contribute in many areas. I’m rooting for him, reminds me of old school PF’s from the 70’s with today’s training methodology and skills needed for the game today.

Agreed, even in the modern NBA there is room for hard working players. He will need to develop his 3 pt shot and get a bit more shifty around the basket, but his desire and positional abilities are first rate.

Another PJ Tucker, Demarre Carroll, Jae Crowder - who knows. Just play hard and take the minutes you are given and you will be fine young man.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:30 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Grant Williams will make an impact on this team this year.  He fills a role that is missing.  He is smart.  He plays hard.  And is by all accounts, a nice young man with positive attitude.

I dont worry too much about what position he will play.  He will be Brock Holt.  He will play where he is put, and give the game what it needs.  Would not be surprised to see him getting 10 and 8 on a nightly basis.

that wold be some first season by the 22 nd pick in any draft!

10 pt and 8 rebounds a game would require what...20 minute a game?

well the PF certainly is wide open for the young man

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2