Time To Turn the J's Loose

5 posters

Go down

Time To Turn the J's Loose Empty Time To Turn the J's Loose

Post by dboss Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Boston was 11th in FGA's last season at 89.9 per game.  OKC was tops at 93.5.  Did you know that every team in the NBA had an uptick in FGA per game with the exception of the Chicago Bulls.

Teams across the league are playing faster.   How can the Celtics become better?  How can they put up more shots in a 48 minute contest?

Brad Steven has embraced an egalitarian system on offense. 

I would like to see more of a deviation from that system.  The Celtics can be a much better team on offense if they get their best offensive players the majority of shots taken in a game.

Starting at the top of the pecking order, Kemba Walker put up more shots than Kyrie Irving last year.  He was 5th in the NBA in time of possession.  I believe he can and should become a more efficient scorer by taking less shots per game.  He can be more selective and become a better assist guy.

It is time for Hayward, Brown and Tatum to get more shots.

Last year Walker put up a career high of 20.5 shots per game.  His career average is 16.5 FGA.  I think a total of 16 FGA per game will do the trick.  He remains a below average FG shooter but is excellent from the line.

I would get the J's 14 fga per game and if healthy, GH should get at least 12 FGA.  That puts them on track to average at least 16-18 PPG depending on their efficiency.

I would like to see 10 FGA for Enes and 8-10  from Marcus Smart.

That gives you 76 FGA per game.  Your most experience guys and your best top 6 players  get the majority of shots.

I think Boston will get more shot opportunities this year.  I think they can get up to 93-95 FGA.

Before your head explodes consider that other rotations guys will get less minutes and less scoring opportunities.  However when a starter or 2 misses a game some rotation guy off the bench will get more minutes and more shots.

The Celtics have  declined multiple offers to trade the J's.  It is time to lean on them.  They are both very young and proved in the 2018 playoffs that they were both more than capable of scoring 18 per game.

We do not know which rotation guys will emerge as a reliable players. 
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Time To Turn the J's Loose Empty Re: Time To Turn the J's Loose

Post by swish Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:36 pm

For me it's all about team superioity in EFG%  - which I consider to be the best stistical stat line predictor of success. Brown and Tatum hopefully will be able to put up high efg% numbers to help the Celtics to a high EFG% ranking.

swish

Last edited by swish on Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add on)

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeod Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:08 pm

Swish - I agree. When I think about increased fga per game I can’t get rid of the picture of the ball crossing mid court and someone quickly launches a 3. I believe this team plays better when the ball moves quickly and efficiently resulting in a quality fga. I do think that spreading around the attempts is a direct result of ball movement rather than hero or isolation ball.

mikeod

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:31 am

I'm greedy. I want both an increase in fgas and fg%.  But how to do it?

Run, baby, run.

Run on missed shots, we have the rebounders now to feel confident we will have possession.

Run on made shots, if nothing else we'll get into our offense sooner which will put more pressure on the defense.  When the shot clock goes under 5 seconds it becomes the defense's best friend.  We want to not give them that.

Running will create opportunities because the defense won't be set.  Running creates opportunities because we're going downhill towards the rim and layups, or at least shots in the restricted area, are higher fg% shots.  An uptempo game will give me the higher fgas and fg% I want, and we have to youth to play this game. Jaylen, Jayson, Carsen, Romeo, even Hayward all can run. Strong rebounding, outlet passes and everybody else running and not worrying about pacing themselves for the minutes.

Run, baby, run.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:43 pm

bobheckler wrote:I'm greedy.  I want both an increase in fgas and fg%.  But how to do it?

Run, baby, run.

Run on missed shots, we have the rebounders now to feel confident we will have possession.

Run on made shots, if nothing else we'll get into our offense sooner which will put more pressure on the defense.  When the shot clock goes under 5 seconds it becomes the defense's best friend.  We want to not give them that.

Running will create opportunities because the defense won't be set.  Running creates opportunities because we're going downhill towards the rim and layups, or at least shots in the restricted area, are higher fg% shots.  An uptempo game will give me the higher fgas and fg% I want, and we have to youth to play this game.  Jaylen, Jayson, Carsen, Romeo, even Hayward all can run.  Strong rebounding, outlet passes and everybody else running and not worrying about pacing themselves for the minutes.

Run, baby, run.

bob

+1

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:15 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:I'm greedy.  I want both an increase in fgas and fg%.  But how to do it?

Run, baby, run.

Running will create opportunities because the defense won't be set.  Running creates opportunities because we're going downhill towards the rim and layups, or at least shots in the restricted area, are higher fg% shots.  An uptempo game will give me the higher fgas and fg% I want, and we have to youth to play this game.  Jaylen, Jayson, Carsen, Romeo, even Hayward all can run.  Strong rebounding, outlet passes and everybody else running and not worrying about pacing themselves for the minutes.

Run, baby, run.

bob

+1

Bob and oldschool

The champ in the last 19 years has excelled in EFG% (ranking 4.6th out of 30 teams) while it's FGA ranking IS A MIDDLE OF THE PACK 16.7TH OUT OF 30 TEAMS. No indication
here that high fga is common to high EFG% as in 10 of the 19 years the champ ranked 19 twice, 21th, 24th twice, 26th twice,  27th twice, and 30th.

swish

Last edited by swish on Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:13 pm

Swish interesting, good to know, good research....well glad we’re gonna be a better rebounding team, hopefully we will be a beast on the boards.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:45 pm

swish wrote:For me it's all about team superioity in EFG%  - which I consider to be the best stistical stat line predictor of success. Brown and Tatum hopefully will be able to put up high efg% numbers to help the Celtics to a high EFG% ranking.

swish
Swish the EFG is an excellent stats but I prefer TS percentage because it combines 2P FG's, 3P FG's and FT

Playing with pace can help a team that may not be a great shooting team.  

How well this team shoots is one important element of having a great offense.  How they get their points is another.  

I think Boston will see improvement in scoring in the paint and also on fast break opportunities and from the line.

The theme of this thread centers around getting the J's more scoring opportunities.   I think they can become 18 PPG players provided they get more shot attempts.  The Celtics should also get GH a lot more shot attempts.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:46 pm

dboss wrote:
swish wrote:For me it's all about team superioity in EFG%  - which I consider to be the best stistical stat line predictor of success. Brown and Tatum hopefully will be able to put up high efg% numbers to help the Celtics to a high EFG% ranking.

swish
Swish the EFG is an excellent stats but I prefer TS percentage because it combines 2P FG's, 3P FG's and FT

How well this team shoots is one important element of having a great offense.  How they get their points is another.  

I think Boston will see improvement in scoring in the paint and also on fast break opportunities and from the line.

The theme of this thread centers around getting the J's more scoring opportunities.   I think they can become 18 PPG players provided they get more shot attempts.  The Celtics should also get GH a lot more shot attempts.

dboss

Last 19 years had the champs with an average FT% league ranking of 13.6 - not a big factor when compared to the EFG% ranking of 4.6
As to the J's and GH getting more shots - more importantly will be how high their EFG% turns out to be.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:56 pm

swish wrote:
dboss wrote:

swish

dboss

Last 19 years had the champs with an average FT% league ranking of 13.6 - not a big factor when compared to the EFG% ranking of 4.6
As to the J's and GH getting more shots - more importantly will be how high their EFG% turns out to be.

swish
Swish

FTA has been trending down for a long time

However I never suggested that FT% trumps EFG%.  I just believe that TS% is more inclusive because it does measure the impact of FT shooting and FT shooting still impacts the game.

Consider this.  Boston was 14th in the league last year in PPG.  Every team above them had more FTA per game than Boston

[url=https://stats.nba.com/teams/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season]https://stats.nba.com/teams/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season[/url]

This more than supports the offensive argument that Boston needs to get to the line more because they will average more points per game.

Nothing should be looked at in a vacuum.  FT attempts, rebounds and PITP are areas where Boston can get a lot better.  

As far as the J's are concerned, if you do not get x  numbers of shots you are only going to score y number of points.  The J's and GH are pretty damn good in their shooting and each needs to improve on that.  The bottom line, If GH and the J's are your best offensive players you need to get them more shots relative to other players on the team.

Kemba Walker is not as efficient as a shooter as any on the 3.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:36 pm

FTAs reduce the likelihood of an empty possession down to 43.3% at worst (Jaylen Brown is our worst frito shooter, a career 65.8%.  65.8% X 65.8% = 44.3%.  That's his odds of making at least 1 ftm out of 2 and therefore not having an empty possession.  Every other player has a better ft% and is more likely to walk away with something).  This obviously gets chucked out the window with Tacko.

Fewer empty possessions is what we want.  FGM are best but FTM, which require FTAs, are good too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:56 pm

All stat line numbers play a role, to some degree, in a teams record - but it's a fact that EFG% does a SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER job of pointing out the best teams when compared to rebounds, fga's and ft%.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:07 pm

Bob

I am 100% sure Boston will get more FT attempts this year.

Consider that last year AL 1.4 and Irving 3.7 are replaced by Walker at 5.5 and Kanter at 3.0

Also the interesting thing about  GW, RL and CE is that all 3 got to the line at a high rate in college.

GW 7, RL 6.1 and CE 6.1

Getting to the line is not just about scoring points.  It provides an important strategy to put the other team in a less aggressive defensive posture when they are at or over the limit.  It can also take a key player out of the game with foul trouble.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:47 pm

dboss wrote:Bob

Consider that last year AL 1.4 and Irving 3.7 are replaced by Walker at 5.5 and Kanter at 3.0

Also the interesting thing about  GW, RL and CE is that all 3 got to the line at a high rate in college.

GW 7, RL 6.1 and CE 6.1

Getting to the line is not just about scoring points.  It provides an important strategy to put the other team in a less aggressive defensive posture when they are at or over the limit.  It can also take a key player out of the game with foul trouble.

Dboss,

Absolutely.  100%.  There is no downside to more frito attempts.  In the case of Kemba and Kanter they will both get a lot of minutes, so their higher fta rate will matter.  The rooks?  Who knows how much they will play.

We need the J's to up their rates because they will be playing heavy minutes.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:36 pm

bobheckler wrote:
dboss wrote:Bob

GW 7, RL 6.1 and CE 6.1

Dboss,

Absolutely.  100%.  There is no downside to more frito attempts.  In the case of Kemba and Kanter they will both get a lot of minutes, so their higher fta rate will matter.  The rooks?  Who knows how much they will play.

We need the J's to up their rates because they will be playing heavy minutes.

bob

Bob

Here again we have a stat (fta) that has a 14.1 ranking average over the last 19 years.

swish

Last edited by swish on Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:06 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Removed incorrect data)

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:31 am

Swish

We need for the Boston Celtics to be above average in a lot of areas.  A focus on areas where Boston is below average (Offensive Rebounds, PITP and FTA) will have a positive impact.

The makeover that has occurred addresses all 3 of the areas mentioned above.   

Our new starting center was 5th in the NBA in offensive rebounds.  The rookie VP is supposed to also be a strong rebounder and can score at the rim as can Kanter.  Second year player RW looks ready to contribute.  Boston is going to improve their rebounding performance and we should see an improvement in points in the paint.  Boston will get to the line more because we have guys that will do a lot of damage at the rim.

I cannot recall a Celtics draft where they added 3 guys each of whom has the ability to get to the rim at a high rate and get to the line.

This team will look different in many respects but they will still have the ability to score from the perimeter.  That will still be a major part of their offense however more second chance points off offensive rebounds, more trips to the line and more fast break opportunities due to improved rebounding on the defensive glass will further enhance the offense.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:12 pm

dboss wrote:Swish

We need for the Boston Celtics to be above average in a lot of areas.  A focus on areas where Boston is below average (Offensive Rebounds, PITP and FTA) will have a positive impact.

The makeover that has occurred addresses all 3 of the areas mentioned above.   

Our new starting center was 5th in the NBA in offensive rebounds.  The rookie VP is supposed to also be a strong rebounder and can score at the rim as can Kanter.  Second year player RW looks ready to contribute.  Boston is going to improve their rebounding performance and we should see an improvement in points in the paint.  Boston will get to the line more because we have guys that will do a lot of damage at the rim.

I cannot recall a Celtics draft where they added 3 guys each of whom has the ability to get to the rim at a high rate and get to the line.

This team will look different in many respects but they will still have the ability to score from the perimeter.  That will still be a major part of their offense however more second chance points off offensive rebounds, more trips to the line and more fast break opportunities due to improved rebounding on the defensive glass will further enhance the offense.

dboss

Being proficient in any stat line figure is a plus - and any improvement in your above named stats will be welcome - but the biggest stat with out question and the one to keep your  eye on for the Celtics is the EFG% stat - both offense and defense. Its the trump card that has the champ in the last 19 years having an offensive or defensive EFG% average ranking of 2.5. In this modern generation it's all about excellence in shooting or stopping it defensively.

swish

Last edited by swish on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:14 pm

Swish

I can see that you love that measurement.

I still prefer the more inclusive TS% stat. The TS tends to be higher than the EFG

I think the most inportantant things are the underlying proficiencies that contribute to achieving hifh rankings for the EFG and TS.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:51 pm

dboss wrote:Swish

I can see that you love that measurement.  

I still prefer the more inclusive TS% stat.  The TS tends to be higher than the EFG

I think the most inportantant things are the underlying proficiencies that contribute to achieving hifh rankings for the EFG and TS.

dboss

Your right about my love for the EFG as a predictor of champs. I've just completed charting the last 19 years - ranking 8 different stat categories as to league ranking each of the nineteen years - EFG(OFFENSE), EFG(DEFENSE), REBS, FGA, FT%, FTA, AST, AND 3PA. It's really an eye opener. Now I'm trying to figure out how to post this document - help.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:49 am

Swish as you examine the data it would be interesting to see what the trends look like.

Maybe apply a moving average to your numbers.  For example how about a 5 YMA (average years 1-5 and then 2-6 and them 3-7)  

I have nothing better to do than pass out assignments, lol
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:19 pm

dboss wrote:Swish as you examine the data it would be interesting to see what the trends look like.

Maybe apply a moving average to your numbers.  For example how about a 5 YMA (average years 1-5 and then 2-6 and them 3-7)  

I have nothing better to do than pass out assignments, lol

dboss

Stiil no success with posting my info - but I have help coming this weekend - so here goes with 4 of the eight stat categories to give an idea of the variations between stats.

Starting with the most recent champ with the stats listed by column. TEAM RANKING FOR THAT YEAR

TEAM,,,,, EFG-OFFENSE,,,,,EFG-DEFENSE,,,,,REBS,,,,,FT%
TOR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,17,,,,,,,,8
GS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,5,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,17,,,,,,,,,1
GS................1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,7,,,,,,,,,,8
CLE,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 4,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,13,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,9,,,,,,,,,,21
GS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,6,,,,,,,,,,9
SPURS,,,,,,,,, 2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,12,,,,,,,,,4
MIA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,9,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,30,,,,,,,,,17
MIA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,5,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,9,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,21,,,,,,,,,7
DAL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,9,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,14,,,,,,,,,11
LAL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,15,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,7,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,12
LAL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,5,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,8,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,3
BOS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,5,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,13,,,,,,,,,8
SPURS,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,16,,,,,,,,,17
MIA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,10,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,6
SPURS,,,,,,,,,,6,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,12,,,,,,,,,26
DET,,,,,,,,,,,,,,20,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,11,,,,,,,,15
SPURS,,,,,,,,, 4,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,11,,,,,,,,26
LAL,,,,,,,,,,,,,4,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,29
LAL,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,13,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,5,,,,,,,,,,29
I'll post the other 4 later.
By the way - TS has just about the same ranking as the EFG-offense stats.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:42 pm

EFGTS
Raptors34
GS11
GS11
cavs34
GS11
Spurs22
Heat11
Heat34
Mavs42
LAL1516

Swish here is a 10 Year snap shot of EFG and a team's corresponding TS.  The team with the best EFG won 4 out of 10 titles.  In 5 of 10 years teams had identical rankings for EFG and TS.  In 6 out of the last 10 years the team with the best EFG did not win.

I am not sure looking at a 19 or 20 year spread is helpful because of the proliferation of 3PA and + 3PM.

The EFG however looks to be a better overall indicator than the TS as Toronto, Cleveland, Miami and LA all won in situations where their EFG ranking was higher than their TS percentage.  It would be interesting to look at how those teams shot FT.   

More numbers crunching needed.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:03 pm

dboss wrote:
 EFGTS
Raptors34
GS11
GS11
cavs34
GS11
Spurs22
Heat11
Heat34
Mavs42
LAL1516

Swish here is a 10 Year snap shot of EFG and a team's corresponding TS.  The team with the best EFG won 4 out of 10 titles.  In 5 of 10 years teams had identical rankings for EFG and TS.  In 6 out of the last 10 years the team with the best EFG did not win.

I am not sure looking at a 19 or 20 year spread is helpful because of the proliferation of 3PA and + 3PM.

The EFG however looks to be a better overall indicator than the TS as Toronto, Cleveland, Miami and LA all won in situations where their EFG ranking was higher than their TS percentage.  It would be interesting to look at how those teams shot FT.   

More numbers crunching needed.

dboss

Somethings have just not changed over the years - even with the 3 point shot being so much more popular now than back in the 80's.  It was all about the EFG THEN - like it is now. Data on the 80's to follow shortly.

Note my stats on FT% IN MY previous CHART.

SWISH

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Here's the chart for the 80's - 1979-80 through 1989-90

TEAM,,,,,,,,,,EFG-OFFENCE,,,,,,,EFG-DEFENCE,,,,,,REBS,,,,,,,FT%
LAKERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,8,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,7,,,,,,,,,,,,6
CELTS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,13,,,,,,,,,,,11
LAKERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,11,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,22
76ERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,9
CELTS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,6,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,,,2
LAKERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,6,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,9,,,,,,,,,,,,12
CELTS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,2
LAKERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,6,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,11,,,,,,,,,,4
LAKERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,9,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,11,,,,,,,,,,5
PISTONS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,6,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,7,,,,,,,,,,,15
PISTONS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,13,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,10,,,,,,,,,,13

Between the efg offense and defense - It was dominance in both the 80's and now.

swish

Last edited by swish on Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : dates)

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down