Salute to Carl and His Comrades Who Turn Back the Hands of Time

Go down

Salute to Carl and His Comrades Who Turn Back the Hands of Time Empty Salute to Carl and His Comrades Who Turn Back the Hands of Time

Post by Sam Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:48 am

Carl Braun died at age 82 last week, just days after long-time Knicks’ teammate Dick McGuire. Braun could arguably have been called the Knicks’ first superstar, at one time holding the league’s one-game scoring record. Playing in both the Basketball Association
of America (’47-’49) and NBA (’49-’62), he was a guard who averaged 13 points, three rebounds and four assists. He played all but his last year with the Knicks and was their player-coach for part of ’59-’60 and all of ’60-’61. He also had a stint as a minor league pitcher in the Yankees system.

But the reason I’m writing about him is that his last seasonwas spent as yet another Red Auerbach reclamation project, and he won his only championship with the ’61-’62 Celts, as a backup for Cousy, Sam Jones and K.C. Jones, averaging 4 points and 2 assists over 9 minutes in 48 games. (Seemed like more in all respects.) He retired after that season, and his #4 was inherited by Clyde Lovellette—another late-career Auerbach roster addition. I bet they had to let out the uniform considerably for “Wide Clyde.”

Rest in peace, Carl. Thanks for your contributions to the Celtics, and condolences to your family.

For an old-timer like myself, the passing of guys like McGuire and Braun serve to sear into my mind the mortality of our heroes of the
past. I’m reminded daily of the trials and tribulations of trying to win even two consecutive championships. I’m forever in awe
of (and grateful for) the absolutely magnificent perseverance of guys like:

Bill Sharman (who will be 84 next May 25)
Arnie Risen (who will be 84 next October 9)
Bob Cousy (who will be 82 next August 9)
Jim Loscutoff (who will be 81 next February 4)
Frank Ramsey (who will be 79 next July 13)
K.C. Jones (who will be 78 next May 25)
Sam Jones (who will be 77 next June 24)
Bill Russell (who will be 76 next Lincoln’s birthday)
Tom Heinsohn (who will be 76 next August 26)
Willie Naulls (who will be 76 next October 7)
Bailey Howell (who will be 74 next January 20)
Tom Sanders (who will be 72 next November
Larry Siegfried (who will be 71 next May 22)
John Havlicek (who will be 70 next April

They never quit then; and, thankfully, they don’t seem to be quitting now.

Be well, guys! And thank you (for about the millionth time)! You are very, very much appreciated!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down