Hayward, Brown and Tatum Can Each Average 18 points per game

4 posters

Go down

Hayward, Brown and Tatum Can  Each Average 18 points per game Empty Hayward, Brown and Tatum Can Each Average 18 points per game

Post by dboss Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:58 pm

More minutes and more FGA will make this a reality.

Exhibit A The Sixers

Harris, 18.2  Butler 18.2 and Redick, 18.1   How did this happen

Look at MPG  Harris 35, Butler 33.2 and Redick 31.1.

FGA's Harris 14.8, Butler 13.6 and Redick 13.1

Brad Stevens had Hayward and Brown play 25.9 MPG last year.  There is no goo reason why that should happen this year.  Get those guys more minutes and the shot opportunities will be there.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Hayward, Brown and Tatum Can  Each Average 18 points per game Empty Re: Hayward, Brown and Tatum Can Each Average 18 points per game

Post by dboss Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:39 pm

I really do not want to see either of these guys coming off the bench.  They are interchangeable so if you play them together and they develop great chemistry you will have something special.  

Other teams will be forced to matchup.

Did you know that Enes Kanter has only started 216 out of 583 games he has played?

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/6447/enes-kanter

The idea of bringing him off the bench is not over the top.  I think you can bring him off the bench with the second unit and he will be going against backup centers.  This brings me back to the option of stating Robert Williams or if Vincent Poirier is as good as advertised he could also be a consideration.  RW however is not looking for his share of shots whereas Poirier would be another mouth to feed.  Some of the best teams ever have had one or two non scorers starting that made it much easier to get your best offensive guys more shots.

Off the bench you would have Marcus and Kanter and then one of our wings could check out early to boost the second unit offense.  To further strengthen your outside shooting you could get Carsen Edwards some minutes.  At PF  you have a choice between Theis, Semi and rookie Grant Williams.  Langford may also provide some scoring options as a rotation player.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Hayward, Brown and Tatum Can  Each Average 18 points per game Empty Re: Hayward, Brown and Tatum Can Each Average 18 points per game

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:23 pm

I would be thrilled if they all got those minutes and fga’s, however not sure that line up works so well all the time, as much as it is/has supposedly shifted to positionless basketball, you can still get hammered if you play too much small ball, just like you can get out quicked and out shot if you go too big. Even if you don’t start all 3, my pick would be GH off the bench, they can still get those avg’s with one not starting. I agree if RW is the best version of himself, maybe all 3 with Kemba and RW could be a great finishing line up. I’d still like to see RW next to Kantor or Poirer for big bully ball stretches....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:53 pm

Cow, Boston will play small ball at the 5 with Theis and they will play big.  So my proposed lineup is just one example on how to get those 3 wings playing together.  It gives you 4 scorers just like last year with Kyrie, Tatum, Morris and Horford.

I read that RW will be competing for the starting center spot so I am cheating a bit by suggesting he could start.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:06 pm

Dboss I could see your original line up with RW working out quite well, agree a player not looking for his shot, with other strong attributes works, however that same line up with Theis for RW is now too small as Theis is too small for too many minutes at the 5 IMHO.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:43 pm

dboss wrote:More minutes and more FGA will make this a reality.

Exhibit A The Sixers

Harris, 18.2  Butler 18.2 and Redick, 18.1   How did this happen

Look at MPG  Harris 35, Butler 33.2 and Redick 31.1.

FGA's Harris 14.8, Butler 13.6 and Redick 13.1

Brad Stevens had Hayward and Brown play 25.9 MPG last year.  There is no goo reason why that should happen this year.  Get those guys more minutes and the shot opportunities will be there.

Isn’t the reason why Hayward played only 25.9 mpg because of poor play for most of the season?
I agree that Brown could take a leap to be an 18 ppg scorer.
I don’t think Hayward will ever get there again.
I don’t see Walker, Brown, Tatum and Hayward playing over 30 mpg and Smart playing his usual 28 or 29.
That would leave not too many minutes for many players.
Unless Brad changes, it’s probably a good bet that his coaching patterns will continue as far as playing time.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:08 am

This could be Hayward's best year overall, even if his scoring number is down. He has refined his game. His head is really into it, and his body is back. I expect him to shine this season.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:38 pm

TJ go break your foot and get it turned in the opposite direction and see if you can come back the same.

Hayward does not have to be the Hayward from Utah.  He still looks like an 18 PPG guy if he can play 30 MPG and get 12-14 FGA's.  The key will be him getting to the rim.  If he does that, it's on.

I have a gut feeling he is going to be really good this coming season.

As far as minutes are concerned, Boston does not have 3 starting level players coming off the bench like they did last year.    I expect Brad  to lean more heavily on his the experienced guys.  I think you could see a 1-2 minutes per game over 30.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:01 pm

dboss wrote:TJ go break your foot and get it turned in the opposite direction and see if you can come back the same.

Hayward does not have to be the Hayward from Utah.  He still looks like an 18 PPG guy if he can play 30 MPG and get 12-14 FGA's.  The key will be him getting to the rim.  If he does that, it's on.

As far as minutes are concerned, Boston does not have 3 starting level players coming off the bench like they did last year.    I expect Brad  to lean more heavily on his the experienced guys.  I think you could see a 1-2 minutes per game over 30.

I don’t expect Hayward to come back as the same player.
As I watch Hayward, I see a very smart player but one who is playing at a very very slow pace.
I don’t think he has the ability to play defense for 30+ mpg as a SF or PF.
That’s why I think the days of him scoring 18 ppg are well in his past.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:17 pm

dboss wrote:TJ go break your foot and get it turned in the opposite direction and see if you can come back the same.

This rookie class might surprise us, G Will, Romeo, C Edwards I think can all play....we got new beef in the middle.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:36 pm

tjmakz wrote:

As I watch Hayward, I see a very smart player but one who is playing at a very very slow pace.
Hayward was still in the recovery mode last year.  He only took 8.8 FGA per game last year.  His pace is not as slow as you think.  He was 102.63 which was a faster pace than Brown, Tatum, Irving and Morris and Rozier.  On defense, his defensive rating on a team loaded with above average defenders was 105.2 as compared to Jason at 105.1, Jaylen at 106 and 1st team defender Marcus at 106.6.  

Him Playing 30 MPG is about stamina.  He will not be playing 30 MPG at any one position.

My suggestion would be to take a wait and see approach.  

Hayward is not one to exaggerate.  He has stated that his leg feels amazing.  I'll take him at his word and anticipate 18 points per game from him.  Get him 12-14 FGA per game game and I think we will see that production.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:57 pm

dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

Hayward was still in the recovery mode last year.  He only took 8.8 FGA per game last year.  His pace is not as slow as you think.  He was 102.63 which was a faster pace than Brown, Tatum, Irving and Morris and Rozier.  On defense, his defensive rating on a team loaded with above average defenders was 105.2 as compared to Jason at 105.1, Jaylen at 106 and 1st team defender Marcus at 106.6.  

Him Playing 30 MPG is about stamina.  He will not be playing 30 MPG at any one position.

Hayward is not one to exaggerate.  He has stated that his leg feels amazing.  I'll take him at his word and anticipate 18 points per game from him.  Get him 12-14 FGA per game game and I think we will see that production.

A wait and see approach also means to wait and see if he can play like he did in Utah.
He has a lot to prove before he should be expected to be an 18 ppg player.
When I said pace I meant how slow he looks on the court compared to everyone else.
I would not be surprised if Carson Edwards averages almost as many shot attempts as Hayward will.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:35 pm

tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

A wait and see approach also means to wait and see if he can play like he did in Utah.
He has a lot to prove before he should be expected to be an 18 ppg player.
When I said pace I meant how slow he looks on the court compared to everyone else.
I would not be surprised if Carson Edwards averages almost as many shot attempts as Hayward will.

The eye test can be deceptive. Edwards will NOT average as many shots per game as GH.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down