Boston Celtics players make Boston a ‘central location’ to prepare for upcoming season

4 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics players make Boston a ‘central location’ to prepare for upcoming season Empty Boston Celtics players make Boston a ‘central location’ to prepare for upcoming season

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:55 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/09/boston-celtics-players-make-boston-a-central-location-to-prepare-for-upcoming-season.html

Boston Celtics players make Boston a ‘central location’ to prepare for upcoming season

Updated 12:36 PM; Today 10:56 AM

Boston Celtics players make Boston a ‘central location’ to prepare for upcoming season R26AM54ED5H6NI2ZJXE7GNNCVA
(AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

Normally when an NBA season ends, players scatter like birdshot around the country. Many go home, or to one of their homes, to relax, unwind, and then team up with personal coaches to get themselves ready for the next season.

This year’s Boston Celtics team is a little different. Prompted by Gordon Hayward, there has been a stream of Celtics players through the team’s practice facility throughout the offseason.

“In the past we’ve had a lot of guys all over the country,” Brad Stevens said during a charity appearance at Children’s Hospital. “This year it seems like more people have made Boston a central location for where they want to be, and I think Gordon had a lot to do with that.”

Hayward has been enjoying his first healthy offseason in two years. After a rough season following his broken ankle, Hayward is hoping this helps propel him to a return to form.

“It was just important for me to stay here and work with the staff,” Hayward recently said. “They kind of knew exactly where I was at after the season and I wanted to build off of that and also work with the coaches and get ready for the upcoming year.”

Hayward’s personal plan became an example for others.

“He sat down with our strength and our coaches and said ‘this is what I want to do this summer. I’m going to stay here,’" Stevens said. "I think when some of your older guys do that, it sets a good standard for everybody.”

That ‘everybody’ seems to include the coaching staff. They’ve been known to travel the country to help players out, but this year they’ve been mostly able to stay in Boston to accomplish their goals.

“I’ve been with the coaching staff all summer,” Hayward said. “They’ve been giving their time to me this summer... the offseason comes and the coaches need to get away too and get a little bit of a break but I’ve been thankful that they’ve been in the facility and really working with me as well.”

The Celtics are trying to wash the taste of last year’s disappointment out of their mouths. The mix of rookies, remaining veterans, and newly signed free agents sticking around the practice facility is helping turn the page.

“Everybody has been great," Stevens said. "We’ve had a lot of guys in over the last two weeks. Like, a lot. Young, a couple old, they’re really working. It’s been fun.”

bob
MY NOTE:  Gordon Hayward hasn't had the best couple of years here in Boston, I don't think anybody would say otherwise, but here he is bringing veteran intangibles to the team.  He has a max contract, he has been an All-Star, he has all the things that could make him complacent and yet he is focused and working harder than ever and he's doing it here.  This is leadership.  He might not be the most vocal player in a huddle, that might be Marcus Smart, but this is leadership through example.  And if he has a really good year the example he set this summer will be followed the next off-season by all the young'uns because it produced results.

Last edited by bobheckler on Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics players make Boston a ‘central location’ to prepare for upcoming season Empty Re: Boston Celtics players make Boston a ‘central location’ to prepare for upcoming season

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:15 pm

I have a feeling the environment this year will be more conducive to Gordo getting his groove back. I think the biggest hurdle has been psychological, and centered around two questions in his mind: 1) will the ankle hold out; and 2) even if it does, can I be the same player I was before the injury. There are less expectations this year, for both him and for the team, which I think will remove self-imposed pressure and allow him to play more freely. Also, the group of guys on this team, especially the leaders like Kemba, Smart and Enes, somehow seem more supportive. Hopefully Gordon won't second guess every mistake and will play free. Also, the guy has done everything possible to get himself back. I predict people will be pleasantly surprised.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics players make Boston a ‘central location’ to prepare for upcoming season Empty Re: Boston Celtics players make Boston a ‘central location’ to prepare for upcoming season

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:39 am

I’d like to know what other players/rookies are there and which coaches are working with them?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:20 pm

I think all of the rookies are there working out along with GH and RW.  Theis, Poirier, Smart, Tatum, Brown, and Walker will get back sometime after the 15th.  VP will probably be a late arrival.  

Lower expectations for this team will give them an added incentive to play as a team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down