Doc Rivers thinks Al Horford could make Boston Celtics more attractive to other players

Go down

Doc Rivers thinks Al Horford could make Boston Celtics more attractive to other players Empty Doc Rivers thinks Al Horford could make Boston Celtics more attractive to other players

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:11 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/09/doc_rivers_thinks_al_horford_c.html

Doc Rivers thinks Al Horford could make Boston Celtics more attractive to other players

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on September 06, 2016 at 11:00 PM

BOSTON - Al Horford's game should make him an ideal fit for the Boston Celtics. He handles the ball well, which their system demands big men to do. He has enough versatility to slide next to any big man on their roster, which should free up a number of quality lineup possibilities. Horford knocks down shots, which should open lanes for Isaiah Thomas, and will instantly help Boston's defense with smart, nimble-footed play.

Doc Rivers believes Horford could also help on the recruiting trail.

"(Celtics president of basketball operations) Danny (Ainge), (assistant general manager) Mike (Zarren), Pags (owner Steve Pagliuca) and that whole group have done an amazing job of collecting picks and assets. Now, their next step is obviously turning them into players," Rivers said Tuesday night at the TD Garden, where he and Brad Stevens appeared at an event to benefit the ABCD Hoop Dreams foundation. "Getting Al was big. I think Al was more important than any of the draft picks to be honest, because I believe once you get one, others will follow. I thought we learned that in 2008. We did it through trade, but once we made the trade, the Eddie Houses and all the other guys wanted to join in. I think Al will have that same impact here."

Just to be clear: Al Horford is not Kevin Garnett, and Al Horford does not make the Celtics title contenders all by himself. He might be like Ray Allen, though, whose presence helped convince Garnett to change his mind about Boston. With Horford now on board, the Celtics have two All-Stars; a collection of intriguing young talent with upside; and a coach, Stevens, whose reputation couldn't be much better. That's a lot to sell, and I haven't even mentioned the lottery picks likely to come over the next two years. (Thanks, Brooklyn.)

So yeah, maybe Horford's presence will draw more players to Boston. Stevens is thinking more about what Horford can offer on the court.

"The one thing about Al is, he is very comfortable in who he is," Stevens said. "And he knows that he's going to impact the game, defensively, in a good way. He knows he's going to do it, offensively, in a good way. And all he's ever really cared about is winning. I've said this about only a few guys before: Winning is enough for him. And he's clearly proven that over the years. That's what makes him a really really special addition for us is the fact that he can do all those things at a very good level: score it, defend, everything else. But he impacts others and empowers others so we'll see how long it takes to get him engrained in it, but he's a good fit for how we play."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down