Chances Celtics, Jaylen Brown reach contract extension reportedly “pretty slim”

+3
RosalieTCeltics
dboss
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Chances Celtics, Jaylen Brown reach contract extension reportedly “pretty slim” Empty Chances Celtics, Jaylen Brown reach contract extension reportedly “pretty slim”

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:20 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chances-celtics-jaylen-brown-reach-011038053.html

Chances Celtics, Jaylen Brown reach contract extension reportedly “pretty slim”

Kurt Helin, NBC Sports

13 hours ago

The bill is coming due in Boston.

For years Boston was the team with promising young players and a treasure chest of draft picks. Now all those trade chips have been cashed in through a series of moves that didn’t pan out as well as Celtics’ fans hoped — and the bill is starting to come due on the picks they kept.

Starting with a potential rookie contract extension for Jaylen Brown, the two sides have until Oct. 21 to reach a deal. Although it is not likely to happen reports Sean Deveney at Heavy.com.

According to a league source, “the chance is pretty slim” that Brown signs a long-term deal with the team in the coming month. Around the league, the expectation is that Brown and the Celtics won’t come to a deal.Brown would still be under contract for this season, at $6.5 million (that would be the case even with the extension). He would become a restricted free agent next summer, which means Boston would still control his rights and be able to match any contract offer he received.

There are a few key reasons an extension is unlikely. First, Boston with Danny Ainge has not been a team that agrees to a lot of extensions of rookie contracts. They didn’t with Kelly Olynyk, they took their time with Marcus Smart, and this summer rather than keep Terry Rozier he was packaged in a sign-and-trade with Charlotte for Kemba Walker.

Second, Boston is a capped out team the next couple of years. For example, they are $13 million below the tax line this season, and next season they will be flirting with it again (unless Gordon Hayward opts out of his $34.2 million final year then bolts the team, something that seems unlikely). Whatever salary the Celtics agree to for Brown could have them paying the tax.

Finally, there is the biggest obstacle: What is the salary figure for a Brown contract extension? The two sides are not going to see eye to eye on that.

To provide a little context, Brown had a somewhat down season early on (didn’t every Celtic) but bounced back later last season and averaged 13 points and 4.2 rebounds a game shooting 34.4 percent from three. However, in stretches, he looked much better than that, including having a strong run with Team USA this summer at the FIBA World Cup.

The Celtics are not going to give Brown a five-year, $168 million max extension, which is what Ben Simmons in Philadelphia and Jamal Murray in Denver got. The only other rookie extension agreed to so far this summer is Caris LeVert with the Nets for $52 million over three years, or $17.3 million a year average.

Boston may be open to re-signing Brown at a LeVert number, around $17 million or $18 million a year, but Brown certainly thinks he’s worth north of $20 million (especially after his strong FIBA performance). Brown may even believe that if he has a good season, then hits the restricted free agent market next summer in a very down free-agent class, some team may offer a max to try to poach him. Brown may want to bet on himself.

Everyone is going to let this play out, a deal is unlikely. But it’s something to watch as the season moves along — and remember Jayson Tatum becomes extension eligible next summer, too.

bob
MY NOTE:  This is the problem with building with high draft picks; the kids you draft are cheap but they aren't going to lead you to the promised land until they are, at the minimum, late in their rookie contracts because they need seasoning.  So, by the time they are showing that they are deserving of the big money you have spent years developing them and they want to be starters before then.  One of the differences we see with the Lakers is that they barely try to build through the draft, they want to buy their team ready-made.  Pay the money, get the stars, backfill behind them.  This is the success formula Danny used with #17, he built through the draft only for as long as necessary to have trade pieces that would move the needle. Will Danny trade Jaylen Brown? Yes, he very well might.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Chances Celtics, Jaylen Brown reach contract extension reportedly “pretty slim” Empty Re: Chances Celtics, Jaylen Brown reach contract extension reportedly “pretty slim”

Post by dboss Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:51 pm

Bob, if you are able to draft top 10 guys you have a better chance of building a team from the foundation up.

I see no problem with that strategy.

When Danny built his last championship he did not trade away a player that was drafted as high as Brown, Smart or Tatum.  Jefferson was the centerpiece for the KG move..  So this is not the same as how he built before.

The article is flawed because it states that "Now all those trade chips have been cashed in"  We have up to 3 first rounders going into the 2020 draft.

While Danny has been pretty reluctant to offer extensions it is not unheard of.  I believe he extended Rondo.  Had no good reason to extend that bum KO and he knew that Smart was unlikely to command a high salary because of his offense.

Brown is currently ranked in the top 5 as a free agent and will command a hefty raise.  Using the salary that Levert got is dumb.  Lavert was injured in college and was injured with the Nets.  Levert is simply not as good offensively or defensively as Jaylen Brown and certainly a bigger injury risk factor.

Brown is not going to get Ben Simmons level money but anything south of $25 million per and they are going to lose him to free agency.  

Danny drafted Brown #3.  Brown looks like a beast and he looks ready to blow up this season.  If he does, Danny will have every reason to keep him if the organization is willing to spend the money.  

The two players on this team that are foundation players, notwithstanding Smart's contribution, are Jaylen and Jayson.  You build around those two young studs.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Chances Celtics, Jaylen Brown reach contract extension reportedly “pretty slim” Empty Re: Chances Celtics, Jaylen Brown reach contract extension reportedly “pretty slim”

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:55 pm

I have visions of the San Antonio Spurs or Indiana Pacers swooping in, offering Jaylen "an offer he cannot refuse". Indiana has liked Jaylen for a while, but San Antonio and especially Pop. He liked him all summer long. I personally would hate to lose this kid, I feel we haven't seen the tip of the iceberg with him. I see the reasoning for not signing him yet, but sometimes when you play with fire, you really get burned.

Hey, look what happened with Kyrie!!!!!!!!!!!! (just kidding)
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:29 am

Wyc will pay for Jaylen. Question is will Brad PLAY Jaylen enough for his liking? If not, he'll opt for minutes and money elsewhere. I bet Brad lets him shine this year.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:07 am

Jaylen will definitely get paid by someone, everybody wants a player like him, hopefully it’s still us that can sign him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:26 am

Worcester 

Maybe the best thing that happened this summer was attrition.  The roster has been paired down.  That should result in Jaylen returning to playing starter level minutes (30+)

I believe Boston can be a very good team this year provided they play to their strengths.  As we know, the big change is having a physical post presence from a proven post player in Kanter.  How Brad employs important aspects of his offense (spreading the floor) and newly finds a viable scoring option (s) inside with Kanter, Williams and VP will be key.

I think we need a role player in the starting unit.  Last year I thought too many guys got too many shots.  The Celtics need to maximize their offense to 4 players that take 10+ shots per game (Walker, GH, JB and JT)  Those 4 guys are the best offensive players on the team.  Everybody else should serve in support roles.  

Walker does NOT have to carry the offense so him more than anyone needs to reduce his FGA and become more of a distributor.  Our 3 wings all need to get more FGA.   

I have always felt that Brad's offense at times was too random in terms of searching for the open 3 pointer and not getting the ball to the guy with the hot hand.   I think Brad needs to lean heavily on his defensive minded bigs like Williams and Poirier.  I would like to see guys like Williams, Semi and Grant get starts at PF.  I want to see how the team plays if Poirier is in the middle surrounded by our wings and our PG.

Anyways, I am looking forward to the start of the season with the understanding that this stew will have to simmer for a while.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:48 pm

Makes sense for both sides to wait.

Brown will want more than it makes sense to give him right now. Let him prove himself this season. He'll have plenty of incentive.

Also, Tatum comes up next. The team needs to anticipate another big contract there. No hurry. See what the true value of both is during this season. Give them both something more to play for.

Plenty of time for deals to get inked or trades to be made if that's the better route.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:39 pm

If they can sigh him for under 25, do it. Given minutes, this kid will produce.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down