Figuring out Boston Celtics big man rotation will be a big problem for Brad Stevens

Go down

Figuring out Boston Celtics big man rotation will be a big problem for Brad Stevens  Empty Figuring out Boston Celtics big man rotation will be a big problem for Brad Stevens

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:05 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/10/figuring-out-boston-celtics-big-man-rotation-will-be-a-big-problem-for-brad-stevens-john-karalis.html

Figuring out Boston Celtics big man rotation will be a big problem for Brad Stevens

John Karalis
Today 5:00 AM

Figuring out Boston Celtics big man rotation will be a big problem for Brad Stevens  FHSTL3E3RJAO7GBCMBMQ3SB3UE
Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens jokes as Enes Kanter prepares to be filmed during the NBA basketball team's media day, Monday, Sept. 30, 2019 in Canton, Mass. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

CANTON -- The Boston Celtics added a few new people to the coaching staff and front office this offseason, but unfortunately for them and their frontcourt, none of them is Victor Frankenstein.

Without the ability to cobble together a complete center through dark science, the Celtics will instead have to rely on four Liam Neesons; men with a very particular set of skills.

Brad Stevens’ job is to take those guys and flip through them in games like an old animator’s notebook, hoping the right combination and timing of each can paint a complete picture.

It won’t be easy. That much was made clear at Monday’s media day, when each of them was asked how they’d be able to contribute to this year’s team.

“I like to do the dirty job,” said Vincent Poirier in his French accent. “Get some rebounds, block shots, run the court, set good screens for everybody.”

“I worked a lot over the summer for my shot to get more consistent, get deeper range,” said Daniel Theis. “So hopefully… just to be consistent from 3 point and also to be able to attack off the dribble.”

“I feel like I can contribute a great deal of effort and a great defensive presence,” said Robert Williams.

Brad Stevens best summed up how he’d use the fourth, and presumed starting, center, Enes Kanter.

“I think we’re going to throw him the ball in the post at times, he’s going to roll to the rim, he’s going to seal, and he’s going to rebound,” he said. “His ability to rebound is unique, so we want him around the basket as much as possible.”

There will be some overlap. All of these guys will set screens and roll to the basket. All of them will have to block a shot or two. Centers will be asked to be centers.

So, too, will forwards.

“Well, I was actually playing center (for Team USA),” said Jaylen Brown, who did spend time at the 5 in super-small lineups for head coach Gregg Popovich. “I was playing all over. So it was a good experience. I’ll probably be playing a little more of that this year consistently and I think playing for USA, getting that experience with Pop is definitely going to help this year.”

Steven is no stranger to small-ball. Brown might get a shot when the Celtics want to get weird with it. Semi Ojeleye will also get a crack.

“We have a lot of 5’s that shoot the ball, that pick and pop, that play on the perimeter. So I guess that kind of plays to my advantage being an undersized 5 or undersized 4,” Ojeleye said. “Wherever I can get a spot on the court I’m ready.”

Also ready: Grant Williams.

“I’ve guarded everyone (at summer workouts),” he said. “Guys from Tremont (Waters, who is 5’11”)... to Tacko (Fall, who is 7’6”). Everybody. Really you’ve just got to be prepared for any assignment you have that night and not only use your physicality to your advantage, but also understanding what people’s strengths and weaknesses are”

Maybe Frankenstein was the wrong reference. The way the Celtics are going to play the center spot this year is more of New Orleans gumbo approach. Maybe Emeril Lagasse is available as a consultant.

‘What you need is more Marcus Smart at the 5! BAM!’

It’s important to keep in mind this is not the finished product. The original plan of pairing Al Horford and Anthony Davis didn’t exactly pan out, so Danny Ainge had to pivot. What the Celtics have now are a few short-term solutions while they figure out the long-term fix.

That could be anything.

It could be Robert Williams realizing his Clint Capela potential on a team full of stars on the wings. It could be a trade to consolidate some of Boston’s wing depth to bring back a big from a team with the opposite problem.

Whatever that is and whenever it happens will be determined in time. For now, Boston’s hope is their center situation is more Cerberus than Sisyphus; that they are unleashing imperfect players who are perfectly suited for certain situations instead of just being frustrated game after game.

It’s a big job for big men, but the load might be mostly Stevens’ to bear. He’s the one who has to keep four guys in one position happy and figure out how to pull the most out of each. He’s got four suits to play in this game of spades but the trump cards might change from night to night. He’s had his formula but recipe won’t work with these ingredients.

“This team will have to play a little bit differently on both sides of the ball than we have. Not enormously differently, but we’ll have to do little things here and there,” he said. “Our focus over the next few weeks is getting ready to play with the right effort and togetherness, and that’s it.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down