Actual Heights of Celtic Players

+2
worcester
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Actual Heights of Celtic Players Empty Actual Heights of Celtic Players

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:07 pm

The NBA has re-measured every player, without shoes.  Just like it was back in the '60s and '70s ('80s?).

Here's the Celtic roster.  Jayson Tatum is still 6'8".

We are going to have to relearn every player in the league, which will be a pain, but at least now it's real.

Actual Heights of Celtic Players EGONC5hXYAEc-iO?format=jpg&name=small

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Actual Heights of Celtic Players Empty Re: Actual Heights of Celtic Players

Post by worcester Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:21 pm

There's more to Theis than meets the eye. 6'8" and 245 lbs makes him one of our biggest players.

Tacko is now only 7'5", what a shrimp.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:00 am

Biggest surprises to me were Rob Williams and Grant Williams

I expected them to be shorter , but not a full 2".

now when do we get to see all the rest..I wanna see if Durant is a full 7 foot instead of 6-9. for one.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:05 am

kdp59 wrote:Biggest surprises to me were Rob Williams and Grant Williams

now when do we get to see all the rest..I wanna see if Durant is a full 7 foot instead of 6-9. for one.

Durant is now listed as 6'10".
They were talking about it on NBA radio this morning.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:11 am

tjmakz wrote:

The league should publish a complete list.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:13 am

Never seen a game where guys played in their socks.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:15 am

To all those who decry the quality of NBA stars in bygone eras, perhaps these new stats show that Bill Russell did have the physical stature to land a spot, maybe, on one of today's NBA teams, even if only as the #15 on the bench.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:16 am

It's odd that they are not using 1/4" or 1/2" measurements.
I believe Tacko was measured at 7'5 1/4 or 7'5 1/2 at the NBA combine.
Why round down if the NBA is looking for accuracy?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:27 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

The league should publish a complete list.

bob

one would think they will re-do the numbers at NBA.com at least.

otherwise what was the point?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:48 pm

worcester wrote:To all those who decry the quality of NBA stars in bygone eras, perhaps these new stats show that Bill Russell did have the physical stature to land a spot, maybe,  on one of today's NBA teams, even if only as the #15 on the bench.

Worcester,

Russ was 6'10", in bare feet.  That makes him taller than Theis and as tall as Kanter.  Only Poirier and, of course, Tacko are taller.

He had a 7'4" wingspan, which is three inches longer than Kanter's.  RWill's wingspan is 7'6", but he is now 2" shorter than Russ, who had always been measured without shoes.

When Russ graduated from USF he was ranked the 7th best high jumper in the world.  He tied a future Olympic high jump Gold Medalist at an AAU meet.  None of them used the "Fosbury Flop" technique, which is how every new world record has been set since 1978.

His BBIQ was also off-the-charts.

So, yeah, I think it is safe to say he could make an NBA team today, and not just as a 15th man.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:29 pm

bobheckler wrote:
worcester wrote:To all those who decry the quality of NBA stars in bygone eras, perhaps these new stats show that Bill Russell did have the physical stature to land a spot, maybe,  on one of today's NBA teams, even if only as the #15 on the bench.

Worcester,

Russ was 6'10", in bare feet.  That makes him taller than Theis and as tall as Kanter.  Only Poirier and, of course, Tacko are taller.

He had a 7'4" wingspan, which is three inches longer than Kanter's.  RWill's wingspan is 7'6", but he is now 2" shorter than Russ, who had always been measured without shoes.

When Russ graduated from USF he was ranked the 7th best high jumper in the world.  He tied a future Olympic high jump Gold Medalist at an AAU meet.  None of them used the "Fosbury Flop" technique, which is how every new world record has been set since 1978.

So, yeah, I think it is safe to say he could make an NBA team today, and not just as a 15th man.

bob

bob

No question that Russ, when compared to his generation, was a superior athlete - but that generation of basketball players does not come close to the size (weight) and shooting skill of the present generation.
  1956-57,,, Ave weights for centers  = 213.5 lbs
  2018-19,,, Ave weights for centers  = 251.0 lbs

1956-57,,, 2 point shooting percentages - see below chart.
  2018-19,,, 2 point shooting percentages - see below charts

http://bkref.com/tiny/oUsU4
http://bkref.com/tiny/rPaGn
 swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:00 am

swish wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Worcester,

bob

bob

No question that Russ, when compared to his generation, was a superior athlete - but that generation of basketball players does not come close to the size (weight) and shooting skill of the present generation.

swish

Swish,

8 team league, still 82 games/season.  They played each other a lot and who was Russell's #1 opponent?  7'1", 275# Wilt Chamberlain.  And we know how that went, physical dimensions only counted for so much.  7'1", 275# would make Wilt the biggest big man in today's NBA (Tacko isn't in the league, yet, and even if he was we couldn't even mention him in the same breath as Wilt).

Stats are helpful for understanding why things happened, to help predict what might happen in the future and for checking our eyeballs but using stats in lieu of eyeballs is, to me, sterile analysis and our eyeballs never saw Bill Russell play in today's game.    That is why I usually stay out of inter-generational comparisons.  They are, in my opinion, irresolvable.  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:05 am

I was being profoundly sarcastic to say that Russ perhaps could make an NBA team today as a #15.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:17 pm

bobheckler wrote:
swish wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Worcester,

bob

bob

swish

Swish,

8 team league, still 82 games/season.  They played each other a lot and who was Russell's #1 opponent?  7'1", 275# Wilt Chamberlain.  And we know how that went, physical dimensions only counted for so much.  7'1", 275# would make Wilt the biggest big man in today's NBA (Tacko isn't in the league, yet, and even if he was we couldn't even mention him in the same breath as Wilt).

Stats are helpful for understanding why things happened, to help predict what might happen in the future and for checking our eyeballs but using stats in lieu of eyeballs is, to me, sterile analysis and our eyeballs never saw Bill Russell play in today's game.    That is why I usually stay out of inter-generational comparisons.  They are, in my opinion, irresolvable.  

bob

I fully understnd your desire to be able to apply an eyeball test before committing an opinion as to the relative merits of the level of play between the leagues in 1956-57 and 2017-18 - but do you really believe that those numbers that I presented do not tell a story in regards to the relative skill level.of the leagues. I offer you my eyeball testimony as one who had the good fortune to view the nba's beginning as an adult and as a 24 year old when Russ made his Celtic debute - in fact the league in Russell's 1st year was even vastly inferior to the league of Bird and company of the eighties. Father time has had a remakable effect on just about all aspects of human endeavors - including sports.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down