Here’s Kevin McHale’s Advice To Celtics’ Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward For 2019-20

+4
mrkleen09
dboss
dbrown4
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Here’s Kevin McHale’s Advice To Celtics’ Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward For 2019-20  Empty Here’s Kevin McHale’s Advice To Celtics’ Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward For 2019-20

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:33 pm

https://nesn.com/2019/10/heres-kevin-mchales-advice-to-celtics-jaylen-brown-gordon-hayward-for-2019-20/

Here’s Kevin McHale’s Advice To Celtics’ Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward For 2019-20

by Marcus Kwesi O'Mard

on Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 5:08PM

Kevin McHale believes Jaylen Brown and Gordon Hayward should prefer trust over being liked during a pivotal season in their respective careers.

The Boston Celtics legend offered some advice to the Celtics guards for 2019-20 season, telling them Saturday on NBA TV they should capitalize on whatever role head coach Brad Stevens assigns. Hayward and Brown both are vying to lock down places in the starting lineup during training camp, alongside guards Kemba Walker and Marcus Smart, forward Jayson Tatum and center Enes Kanter.

“First of all, I expect Jaylen Brown to walk into camp and say ‘why is everybody saying I’m the sixth man?’ McHale said. “‘How about I beat out Gordon Hayward, and (he’s) the sixth man?’ Here’s the deal: one of those two guys will be coming off the bench, and they’ve got to embrace it.

“If it is Jaylen Brown, he has got to come out and say ‘I’m going to be the sixth man of the year, I’m going to play so well, I’m going to make the All-Star team coming off the bench. You’ve got to embrace that role … That’s up to the coaching staff to sell it and for his teammates to say how valuable you are. Because if you have a guy coming off the bench who can flat out play, it gives you a huge advantage.

McHale then applied one of legendary Celtics coach Red Auerbach’s favorite basketball maxims to Brown’s and Hayward’s situations.

“I’ll tell you what Red Auerbach once told me: ‘the coach may start who he likes, he finishes with who he trusts.’ When you’re out there at the end of the game, that means he trusts you.

While Hayward and Brown undoubtedly want the Celtics to bounce back from last season’s disappointment, their individual storylines point to 2019-20 as a pivotal season for differing reasons. Hayward is out to prove he has recovered fully from the catastrophic leg injury he suffered on opening night in 2017 and perhaps return to All-Star form. Brown is entering a contract year and hopes to net his first big payday in the NBA.

Chances are they’ll be able to accomplish their respective individual goals by heeding McHale’s advice.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Here’s Kevin McHale’s Advice To Celtics’ Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward For 2019-20  Empty Re: Here’s Kevin McHale’s Advice To Celtics’ Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward For 2019-20

Post by dbrown4 Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:44 pm

Wow! That is an amazing statement from Red! Never saw that one coming but it's perfect. Everyone wrings their hands over who's going to start. Yet most if not all games are won in the 4th quarter. Priceless, Red, Priceless!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Here’s Kevin McHale’s Advice To Celtics’ Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward For 2019-20  Empty Re: Here’s Kevin McHale’s Advice To Celtics’ Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward For 2019-20

Post by dboss Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:14 pm

So let me get this right . He expects Jaylen Brown to do what?

He does not even know JB to even suggest what mindset he might have.

Creating make believe narratives is not needed.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:17 am

dboss wrote:So let me get this right .  He expects Jaylen Brown to do what?

Where is McHale creating narratives? He gave two possible scenarios and gave JB a plan to attack both?

If anyone knows about being a great 6th man and not letting it hurt your career or legacy, its Kevin. 100% spot on advice for a legend.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:35 am

He’s basically saying to embrace the role and kick ass doing it, sounds good to me....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:47 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:He’s basically saying to embrace the role and kick ass doing it, sounds good to me....

Right. Good advice for anyone.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:59 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:He’s basically saying to embrace the role and kick ass doing it, sounds good to me....

More than just "kick ass" he's saying "be consistent", because that's how you build trust with your coach. He wants to know what he's going to get if he inserts you at the end of a tight game. As NYCelt says, "good advice for anyone".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:16 pm

see my comments to  Mckleen

Last edited by dboss on Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:33 am

mrkleen09 wrote:
dboss wrote:So let me get this right .  He expects Jaylen Brown to do what?

Where is McHale creating narratives?  He gave two possible scenarios and gave JB a plan to attack both?

If anyone knows about being a great 6th man and not letting it hurt your career or legacy, its Kevin.  100% spot on advice for a legend.  
[size=39]Mckleen 

He quotes what Jaylen is going to do.  

“First of all, I expect Jaylen Brown to walk into camp and say ‘why is everybody saying I’m the sixth man?’ McHale said. “‘How about I beat out Gordon Hayward, and (he’s) the sixth man?’ 

That is a false narrative and reflects a presumptive attitude about things that Mchale knows nothing about.  

Why the hell would he expect Jaylen to do that?  Does he have some inside information about what Jaylen wants?  

Do you or anyone else see the quote from Jaylen where he talked about accepting roles and doing the best he could do with whatever role he was given?  

Does Mchale know for certain that the 6th man role is going to be Brown or Hayward?  He's presumptive.

That is the point I was making.  Here he is giving advice to Jaylen but I see no advice for Hayward.  He presupposes that Jaylen would not be willing to accept a 6th man role.  He never says how or what Hayward would do.  Jaylen has already stated that he has probably played every role on the team at some point.  See his interview on media day.

McHale paints a picture of Jaylen that is a false narrative.  

To everyone else, I saw Frank Ramsey  play.  He was the first 6th man for the Celtics and I have seen every single 6th man play for Boston.  I appreciate the value of the 6th man.  

Brad Stevens will determine who is the best fit for the 6th man role.   Jaylen, Gordon and Kevin Mchale will not be making that decision.[/size]

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:26 am

NYCelt wrote:

Right. Good advice for anyone.

I agree. One of the issues that last year's team had was that the young guys had their role already laid out in their own minds and when that didn't happen, it affected their game.

There can only be five starters and if you are not one of them, you need to embrace that and adapt, overcome and improvise for the good of the team. Many basically failed at that task last season.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:09 am

dboss wrote:
[size=39]Mckleen 

He quotes what Jaylen is going to do.  

“First of all, I expect Jaylen Brown to walk into camp and say ‘why is everybody saying I’m the sixth man?’ McHale said. “‘How about I beat out Gordon Hayward, and (he’s) the sixth man?’ 

That is a false narrative and reflects a presumptive attitude about things that Mchale knows nothing about.  

Why the hell would he expect Jaylen to do that?  Does he have some inside information about what Jaylen wants?  

Do you or anyone else see the quote from Jaylen where he talked about accepting roles and doing the best he could do with whatever role he was given?  

Does Mchale know for certain that the 6th man role is going to be Brown or Hayward?  He's presumptive.

That is the point I was making.  Here he is giving advice to Jaylen but I see no advice for Hayward.  He presupposes that Jaylen would not be willing to accept a 6th man role.  He never says how or what Hayward would do.  Jaylen has already stated that he has probably played every role on the team at some point.  See his interview on media day.

McHale paints a picture of Jaylen that is a false narrative.  

To everyone else, I saw Frank Ramsey  play.  He was the first 6th man for the Celtics and I have seen every single 6th man play for Boston.  I appreciate the value of the 6th man.  

Brad Stevens will determine who is the best fit for the 6th man role.   Jaylen, Gordon and Kevin Mchale will not be making that decision.[/size]

I have no idea where you are going with this D. Going to leave it aside.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:06 pm

Kleen 

I agree with you and everyone else about the role of a 6th man by one of the best who ever played.

I however do no think it is fair to paint a hypothetical picture of Jaylen Brown and then have the temarity to link it to that advice.  He did this on NBA TV and for those that do not really know Jaylen it may lead them to believe that he is a selfish player.  Jaylen played a rotation role last year and he accepted it.  He accepted that role.  

I will not say more about this.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:52 pm

I really like what McHale said, he’s giving special wisdom that came from Reds mouth directly to McHale, we are the franchise that invented the 6th man...whether it’s Jaylen or GH, I would hope this advice just gives them extra motivation.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Remember, Red was a master of manipulation.  He knew how to work his players, and at times, pitted one against the other to motivate them. There was no better coach than Red. Almost everyone who played for him loved him (except Cedric Maxwell, who never has forgiven Red for trading him).  So to hear McHale quote Red, you know that whatever Red preached to him, Kevin kept it in a special place in his brain. He learned a lot. I do not think what he was saying about Brown and Hayward was wrong.  Let’s face it, they have to learn to trust one another, that is the way they will win. 

I think people are reading more into this than what it is. Good advice.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down