Boston Celtics rumors 2019: Jaylen Brown received four-year, $80 million offer, but Brown wants more (report)

+9
mrkleen09
dbrown4
Vankisa
jrleftfoot
tardust
wideclyde
NYCelt
dboss
bobheckler
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boston Celtics rumors 2019: Jaylen Brown received four-year, $80 million offer, but Brown wants more (report) Empty Boston Celtics rumors 2019: Jaylen Brown received four-year, $80 million offer, but Brown wants more (report)

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:07 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/10/boston-celtics-rumors-2019-jaylen-brown-received-four-year-80-million-offer-but-brown-wants-more-report.html

Boston Celtics rumors 2019: Jaylen Brown received four-year, $80 million offer, but Brown wants more (report)

Updated 2:42 PM;
Today 2:24 PM

By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

The Boston Celtics have offered wing Jaylen Brown a four-year, $80 million contract extension according to Yahoo! Sports’ Chris Haynes, but Brown is reportedly looking for more.

The Celtics historically don’t come to terms on rookie-scale extensions until a player hits restricted free agency. Doing so negates some of their bargaining power, since they can match any deal their player finds on the open market, and that fact often drives down opposing offers, since handing a player an offer sheet ties up a team’s cap space.

Brown, however, might have a case if he hopes to be the exception. In a weak free agent class next summer, he figures to be one of the best players on the market. Add in his status as a potential star wing (a high-value position) who will be entering his age 24 season on his new deal, and plenty of young teams with plenty of cap space could be lining up to throw big offer sheets his way -- especially if he has a big year in an increased role.

For that reason, a four-year, $80 million deal feels not only unlikely to materialize, but also unlikely to get Brown to the bargaining table. A lot of things can happen in the course of a year, but chances are very good Brown will get at least that this summer. Assuming that, there’s a good chance he will bet on himself and his potential entering this season.

Brown was asked about his potential extension at media day in September.

“To be honest, I haven’t put too much thought into it,” Brown said. “I’m not losing any sleep over it. I think stuff like that will end up working itself out in the end or however. So I’m just focused on this season and playing basketball. I think that’s my number one emphasis, and let the chips fall where they may.”

bob
MY NOTE:  Based upon Danny's track record with players trying to play contract hardball with him don't be surprised if we see him traded for, say, Bradley Beal.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics rumors 2019: Jaylen Brown received four-year, $80 million offer, but Brown wants more (report) Empty Re: Boston Celtics rumors 2019: Jaylen Brown received four-year, $80 million offer, but Brown wants more (report)

Post by dboss Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:47 pm

I would be very surprised if Danny traded him for Beal.

You know the numbers just do not work.

The problem with trading a player like Jaylen given his salary and his talent is that you cannot get a reasonable return for him.

No one should be surprised that Jaylen and his agent turned down $20 million per for 4 years.  Jaylen is going to be a top 5 free agent next summer as part of a FA class that is weak.

When you draft high you expect to get a quality player.  You expect that in order to keep them you have to pay big money.  

The $20 million was a low ball offer.  Danny will now play a wait and see game.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics rumors 2019: Jaylen Brown received four-year, $80 million offer, but Brown wants more (report) Empty Re: Boston Celtics rumors 2019: Jaylen Brown received four-year, $80 million offer, but Brown wants more (report)

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:49 pm

They'll have to limit Brown's offer because Tatum is next up.

Locking up Tatum is priority one.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:00 pm

Not that I ever even consider that players make too much money because I fully understand that their careers can end with just one awkward twist of a knee or back, but I am surprised that Brown did not take the $80 offer.

If he were to get hurt or not live up to his own high goals he will be set for life, and if everything goes in his favor he would have been a free agent again when only 27 or 28 and eligible for the biggest and baddest MAX contract allowed.

This young man is taking a big gamble, and we will see in time how it plays out for him.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Smart thing to do is see what he does this year and see if he is worth more. If he plays well enough give him the money.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:06 pm

dboss wrote:I would be very surprised if Danny traded him for Beal.

The problem with trading a player like Jaylen given his salary and his talent is that you cannot get a reasonable return for him.

No one should be surprised that Jaylen and his agent turned down $20 million per for 4 years.  Jaylen is going to be a top 5 free agent next summer as part of a FA class that is weak.

When you draft high you expect to get a quality player.  You expect that in order to keep them you have to pay big money.  

Dboss,

The numbers don't work now but a sign-and-trade would.  Ink Jaylen to the contract he wants and then offer him for All NBAer Bradley Beal.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 pm

NYCelt wrote:They'll have to limit Brown's offer because Tatum is next up.

Locking up Tatum is priority one.
Well that is because Danny gave Kemba a max deal and still has GH on the books.

They may want to limit his offer but things are setting up nicely for Brown.  He looks really good and he will enter into a market that while tight is not stocked with high end 3 and D guys who can play multiple positions.

I do not think him or Jayson are max players yet but they could become ones.

Danny has been more than willing to spend big on someone else's free agents.  

The Celtics have staggered contracts but they would likely have to dip their toe into the tax penalty for 2020-21 even if they were able to sign Jaylen for $20 million.  The team will flip over again next year as guys like semi, Wannamaker and Kanter are gone.  Theis has a non-guarantee at $ 5 million next year.

Since Danny has managed to draft some young and relatively inexpensive guys they will take the place of other guys next year.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:41 pm

bobheckler wrote:
dboss wrote:I would be very surprised if Danny traded him for Beal.

Dboss,

The numbers don't work now but a sign-and-trade would.  Ink Jaylen to the contract he wants and then offer him for All NBAer Bradley Beal.

bob

A sign and trade is possible however the new money for Jaylen would not kick in until 2020-21 but Beal has to be paid now.  A deal like that would have to wait until next summer.  Also the assumption you are making is that Wash wants to make the deal.  After this year Beal would have one year remaining before hitting FA.  Then you are right back at the bargaining table with him as an UFA.

Overall if you look at all the angles they really do not add up.

How about getting Brown locked in and then if you decide to trade him for an allstar you have a better chance of matching up the salaries.

Personally, I think Danny should keep both Jaylen and Jayson and continue to build around them.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:21 pm

Keep the Jays.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Me and CBS sports believe $100 million is a more realistic offer.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:12 pm

I did not realize that Brown now has the same agent as Al Horford.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:01 am

10/17/19 UPDATE:

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 1 hour ago
Danny Ainge to @Toucherandrich on Jaylen Brown negotiations: "I feel like the negotiations are going well. Whoever put out that report was not accurate. We are working to come to a result. Monday is our deadline. The negotiations have gone well."

reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:14 pm

dboss wrote:Me and CBS sports believe $100 million is a more realistic offer.

I have the same number as an estimation of a potential meeting point between Danny and Jaylen's agent. That is if you are talking about 4 year deal?

I believe more than 25 million per year is still a bit risky for Jaylen, but he has Kawhi Leonard potential and I really really hope they could just shake hands at 25 mio Smile

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:55 pm

It sounds like Danny is still working on this.  He may surprise everyone and get a deal done.

Brown is simply not a max contract guy as of today.  A lot of teams that overpay for their really young guys experience buyer's remorse.

I really do not want to see this thing go unresolved until next summer.  I think a compromise could be a good solution.  JB is young enough to get another big deal after this one.

I think a 4 year deal ( 3 + 1) player option could be workable.  He will be 26 and could opt out and resign.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:14 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that the 2020-21 tax threshold will be $141 million.

That is the year a new deal for Jaylen would kick in.  It is also the year GH will have his $34 million player option.

Fair or not fair, the clock is ticking on GH.  This is the year where he needs to earn his $32 million contract.  He needs to play a lot of minutes to get there.  He needs to play not good but great.  His situation is not bad.  The Celtics owe him almost $67 million dollars guaranteed over the next two years.  

JT could also resign for a new deal that would begin 2021-22
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Yep, dboss. On Gordon and to a slightly lesser extent (but not much!), Brad for that matter.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:51 pm

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2019/10/17/danny-ainge-jaylen-brown-extension

What Danny Ainge had to say about the Celtics’ negotiations with Jaylen Brown

“Jaylen doesn’t seem to be too stressed about it."

By Nicole Yang 3:22 PM

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge says the team’s negotiations with forward Jaylen Brown are “going well.”

“We’ve given him numerous offers,” Ainge said on 98.5 The Sports Hub’s “Toucher and Rich” Thursday morning. “We’ve been negotiating for a little while.”

Eligible for a rookie-scale extension, Brown has yet to reach an agreement with the Celtics ahead of the Oct. 21 deadline. The team offered the 22-year-old a four-year deal worth $80 million, according to Chris Haynes of Yahoo! Sports, but Ainge called the report inaccurate. Ainge did not specify why he deemed the report inaccurate.

“It’s just not an accurate report,” he said. “That’s all.”

Brown, who handled negotiations throughout his first three NBA seasons without an agent, recently hired Jason Glushon to take the lead in the process. If Brown does not ink an extension, he will become a restricted free agent this offseason. Should that be the case, it’s not that unusual for the Celtics, who haven’t signed a player to such a deal since point guard Rajon Rondo in 2009.

Ainge said the ongoing negotiations don’t seem to bother Brown.

“Jaylen doesn’t seem to be too stressed about it,” Ainge said. “He seems to be good and playing well and in good spirits and working hard. It’s hard not to think about it at all. I think every player would, but I think we’re in a good place.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:09 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-rumors-jaylen-brown-contract-talks-being-monitored-several-teams
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:31 pm

4 years for $115.  Kid played hardball and got another 35 million for his trouble

Crazy at it sounds, this will be a deal when you see the kind of money FA get paid.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/report-jaylen-brown-celtics-agree-4-year-115-million-extension

Last edited by mrkleen09 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:35 pm

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/21/jaylen-brown-agrees-to-four-year-115-million-contract-extension/

So I guess Danny was willing to pay up. I am so glad the deal was made before the deadline, Jaylen is one of my favorite Celtic players Very Happy ! I hope this gives him the confidence boost to stay aggressive !

I thought 25 million would be where the line would be drawn, but I guess it is as most often happens an investment into the potential the management thinks (and we hope) Brown can realize.

It was also mentioned that there would be (many) incentives built in to reach that number and is not a flat our guaranteed sum.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:31 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:4 years for $115.  Kid played hardball and got another 35 million for his trouble

Crazy at it sounds, this will be a deal when you see the kind of money FA get paid.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/report-jaylen-brown-celtics-agree-4-year-115-million-extension

sorry I didn't see you had posted this here already, before the started a thread on it later.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:02 pm

Hallelujah. This kid gets better every year. Wish I could say the same about Tatum. Saw some quotes from Marcus Morris today. He didn't want to trash Kyrie, but he indicated that his moods overwhelmed the locker room at times. They should be so much more fun to watch now!
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:08 pm

Rosalie

A done deal means no overflow of Jaylen Brown what if threads.

I am thrilled.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:11 pm

dboss wrote:Rosalie

A done deal means no overflow of Jaylen Brown what if threads.

I am thrilled.

Ain’t that the truth!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:08 am

jrleftfoot wrote:Hallelujah. This kid gets better every year. Wish I could say the same about Tatum. Saw some quotes from Marcus Morris today. He didn't want to trash Kyrie, but he indicated  that his moods overwhelmed the locker room at times. They should be so much more fun to watch now!
Hey JR where did you see those quotes?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next