Raptors cornerstone Pascal Siakam gets $130M extension

3 posters

Go down

Raptors cornerstone Pascal Siakam gets $130M extension Empty Raptors cornerstone Pascal Siakam gets $130M extension

Post by dboss Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:03 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27880471/raptors-cornerstone-pascal-siakam-gets-130m-extension

4 year deal.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Raptors cornerstone Pascal Siakam gets $130M extension Empty Re: Raptors cornerstone Pascal Siakam gets $130M extension

Post by dboss Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:18 pm

Smart teams draft well and reward developing talent.

Here is a guy drafted 27th, averaged 4.2 PPG his rookie year, 7.3 his 2nd year and has a breakout in year 3 averaging 16.9 PPG and 6.9 rebounds
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Raptors cornerstone Pascal Siakam gets $130M extension Empty Re: Raptors cornerstone Pascal Siakam gets $130M extension

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:24 pm

I'm betting Kawhi Leonard leaving, Kyle Lowry being 33 years old and being in his last contract year and DeMar Derozan already gone were big contributing factors in Siakem's contract value.  Timing is everything, and Siakem is in the right place at the right time.  Jaylen Brown, with our depth at wing and our salary cap filled up with Kemba, Gordon and Jayson next year, is not so much.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:48 pm

Bob I have to agree with you about that.  The Raptors are in a different situation than Boston.

However Boston created their own situation.  That wing depth is really dependent on GH earning his money this year.  

I am also having second thoughts about the Celtics investing big money in Kemba Walker given our front line questions, his age, his defense and his shooting efficiency.  Time will tell how all this works out as we move futher away from looking at him in terms of how KI failed.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:02 am

dboss wrote:Bob I have to agree with you about that.  The Raptors are in a different situation than Boston.

However Boston created their own situation.  That wing depth is really dependent on GH earning his money this year.  

I am also having second thoughts about the Celtics investing big money in Kemba Walker given our front line questions, his age, his defense and his shooting efficiency.  Time will tell how all this works out as we move futher away from looking at him in terms of how KI failed.

I don't care for the Walker signing myself, almost seemed knee-jerk after Irving left to me.

I'd still rather have both Morris and Rozier ( combined $34.8M) instead of Walker ($32.7M) this year.

since Morris' deal is one year, the money for Brown would be easier to find next season.

but what the hell do I know.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:37 am

kdp59 wrote:
dboss wrote:Bob I have to agree with you about that.  The Raptors are in a different situation than Boston.

I don't care for the Walker signing myself, almost seemed knee-jerk after Irving left to me.

I'd still rather have both Morris and Rozier ( combined $34.8M) instead of Walker  ($32.7M) this year.

since Morris' deal is one year, the money for Brown would be easier to find next season.

but what the hell do I know.

kdp59

Interesting take.

I really believed that the underlying problem with the Celtics last year was having too many capable starting quality guys on the team.  I did not feel that way at the start of the season but it became a major issue. 

The departure of Morris and Rozier opens up more playing time for Hayward and Brown and some kid that Danny drafted out of Purdue.

I do however agree with you about the knee-jerk reaction by Danny to sign Walker.  Terry may have burned a bridge or two but he did have a good relationship with our young core (Smart, Tatum and Brown)  I thought his biggest weakness was trying to emulate KI.  He was pretty horrible in game 7 the previous year where he went 0-10 from deep and would not stop shooting the ball.  Coach Stevens should have reeled him in just as he should have reeled in KI during the Bucks series where Kyrie sabotaged any chance for Boston to stay in the series.  

Walker is very competitive but seems a lot more coachable even after being in the league for a long time.  The question remains on the value that he brings to Boston and how his salary impacts the team's ability to keep their young core together.  Walker has a very nice disposition and seems more than willing to be a team player.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down