Celtics Spotlight: Could Carsen Edwards be the Celtics' X-factor?

+3
bobc33
worcester
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Celtics Spotlight: Could Carsen Edwards be the Celtics' X-factor? Empty Celtics Spotlight: Could Carsen Edwards be the Celtics' X-factor?

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:33 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-spotlight-could-carsen-edwards-be-celtics-x-factor

Celtics Spotlight: Could Carsen Edwards be the Celtics' X-factor?

By A. Sherrod Blakely

October 18, 2019 12:00 PM

One by one, the shots kept going up and then down, through the net for Boston Celtics guard Carsen Edwards. For the folks at Cleveland’s Q Arena, Edwards was delivering the kind of shooting clinic that you don’t often see from guys in an open gym let alone in a game.

The second-round pick dropped 30 points on the Cavs in a preseason win for Boston, highlighted by Edwards’ 26-point third quarter onslaught that got props from his teammates as well as NBA legends such as Dwyane Wade on Twitter.

It was a reminder as to why there was a joyful noise coming out of the Celtics’ offices on draft night moments before the trade for Edwards in the second round of last June’s NBA draft, became official.

There was a period of time during training camp when Edwards’ lights-out shooting was hotter than usual, prompting head coach Brad Stevens to say at the time that Edwards has, “been making shots the last five days.”

But hearing his words out loud, Stevens quickly added, “He’s been making shots forever.”

It’s a successful season for Edwards if …

He continues to do what we’ve seen thus far in the preseason. He appeared in all four games and averaged 18.1 minutes of court time, which is probably more than he will average this season. A big emphasis for Edwards to play this season lies in his ability to be solid defensively, a part of his game that’s often overshadowed by his offensive prowess. While undersized at 6-foot-1, he makes up for that with a 6-6 wingspan. But of course, it is the promise he has shown as an instant-offense, catch-and-shoot scorer who can get hot offensively at any time. He had an offensive rating in the preseason of 112.6 which was tops among all Celtics who appeared in all four games and averaged at least 10 minutes of court action.

It’s a disappointing season for Edwards if …

He becomes the latest summer league/preseason sensation whose game doesn’t translate nearly as well when it matters. There’s a lot of attention paid to what he does offensively, which is understandable. But if he struggles defensively, that will significantly limit his opportunities on the floor. And even if he’s doing a decent job defensively, he will see better defenders as the season progresses. Can he still manage to free himself up for shots? And if his shots aren’t falling, what can he provide? The answers to those questions will go far in determining the success of this season for Edwards.

2019-2020 Outlook

We knew coming out of Purdue that Edwards was a big-time, high-volume scorer who could light up the scoreboard at any time. No one expects him to be that prolific scoring the ball this year for Boston. But what we’ve seen in the preseason and in summer league, certainly bodes well for him being a difference-maker for the Celtics this season off the bench. His size will certainly work against him as a defender in some instances. But that has been a concern at every level of play for him, and it never has prevented him from being an impact performer. If he can play at a level comparable to what we’ve seen thus far, Edwards may wind up being the X-factor the Celtics need in order to solidify their place as one of the top teams in the East.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Spotlight: Could Carsen Edwards be the Celtics' X-factor? Empty Re: Celtics Spotlight: Could Carsen Edwards be the Celtics' X-factor?

Post by worcester Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:12 pm

So many doubting Thomases on the sidelines, when if they'd just open their eyes they would see Carsen is not afraid to score prolifically on any level.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Celtics Spotlight: Could Carsen Edwards be the Celtics' X-factor? Empty Re: Celtics Spotlight: Could Carsen Edwards be the Celtics' X-factor?

Post by bobc33 Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:31 pm

I believe he played three years at Purdue? Much better chance of making a meaningful contribution then if he came out after his freshman season.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:25 am

He is a mobile missile launcher.  He is outrageous.  His level of confidence is off the charts.  There are maybe 2 or 3 players in the NBA with his range (Curry, Dillard and to a lesser degree, Irving)

Calling him the X-factor may be understated.  

He is going to help this team immediately and will be a guy who can come in and blow the game wide open.  He's a scoring machine.  He gets his shot off against all manner of coverage.  He's smart and knows how to find shots and if you get too cute and try to crowd him he will take you off the bounce.

On defense his low to the ground 200 lb frame and quick lateral movement will allow him to be a very solid 2-way guy.  

With all the rookies added to this team he is far and away the most impressive of the group.  He may very well be the best basketball player that the Celtics have drafted in the 2nd round since...Danny Ainge.

Do you want to know how I really feel.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:48 am

Carsen does not yet have the handle of Kyrie or Steph, but he is a better defender than either of those two and he may possibly turn out to be a better 3 point shooter than Kyrie, who is a lifetime .390 3 point shooter, IMHO. In any case, he'll be a Celtic for the next four years at $2M a year, quite a bargain. Thanks for leaving, Kyrie, and opening up a spot on the roster!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:57 am

W

No doubt Steph and KI have unreal handle but I am looking at CE ability to be the x factor on a team that lost 5 key rotation guys.  

The comparrison I am making with those great players is about shooting the 3 ball and how his range puts him in elite company.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:59 am

worcester, you always have a way of saying things perfectly and succinctly! Remember they have to sell newspapers or ad space or whatever. Negative Nelly always works for that!

db

P.S. I hope Brad (and Doc) puts him and Kawhi on each other as soon as possible. That will settle it.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:13 am

dboss and dbrown, I do think Carsen will match up well with Steph and Kyrie. Kawhi? That'll be a challenge for CE, but I do wish him the best. He is our X-Factor, and in April, Tacko may be another X-Factor as well. Sure hope so.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:50 pm

That may be the only way to shut him down I hope! So many questions are about to be answered. Winning in PHI on Wednesday would be the ultimate hoot!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:04 pm

I would bet Edwards will turn out to be one of the steals of the draft.

I'm all for optimism, but I think matching up well with the likes of Steph and Kyrie any time soon is a tough request.

Regardless, Edwards should add shooting when Kemba heads to the bench. He's going to be an asset immediately.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Please do not take my comments out of context. My over the top admiration for Carsen Edwards should be considered.

I am not comparing him to Irving or Steph. I am just talking about his 3 point shooting ability. And because of that highend skill, I think he is the x factor.

Don't rain on my parade. Instead, enjoy watching Carsen rain 3 pointers down.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:19 pm

NY Celt, I mean that CE would match up well - now defensively and may in the near future match up well offensively too. That means CE may be as good as a defender as Steph and Kyrie already.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:03 pm

I'm just surprised he wasn't taken sooner.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:46 am

jrleftfoot wrote:I'm just surprised he wasn't taken sooner.

Small.

In basketball, size does count.

[Insert joke here.]
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:12 am

Maybe the teams that passed on him were(short)sighted
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:18 am

What I like the most about Edwards is, despite being a rookie, he is just brimming over with confidence in his ability to shoot from anywhere.  He has ice water in his veins.  A lot of rookies come in and they just want to "fit in".  He wants to shoot.  Every time.  

I think he's going to instill great fear in opposing coaches.  Forget about doubling Kanter, or anybody else, while Carsen Edwards is on the floor.  You take a defender away from the arc and the ball will find him on rotation.  Double Tatum, or Kemba, or Jaylen and it's gonna be Edwards for 3 more often than you'd like.  I'm trying to not get carried away here, we haven't even played Game 1 yet, but I think Carsen Edwards could be THE game changer.

And that's why I'm voting for him for Celtic MVP.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:23 am

High praise coming from you Bob, who are so rarely wrong in judging these things. Kelly Olynyk is the only one whom you ever over-estimated, as did I, as did Danny. You stand a real good chance of being right regarding Carsen.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down