Celtics Spotlight: How will Tacko Fall benefit from extended time on the Red Claws?

+2
dbrown4
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Celtics Spotlight: How will Tacko Fall benefit from extended time on the Red Claws? Empty Celtics Spotlight: How will Tacko Fall benefit from extended time on the Red Claws?

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:42 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-spotlight-how-will-tacko-fall-benefit-extended-time-red-claws?int

Celtics Spotlight: How will Tacko Fall benefit from extended time on the Red Claws?

By Chris Forsberg

October 15, 2019 12:45 PM

Even Boston Celtics players admit they’ve caught Tacko Fever.

“I can’t lie, I like to see Tacko [Fall],” said Celtics swingman Jaylen Brown. “It’s hard not to [root for him]. I think he can really play. … I think Tacko is a pro and I think he works hard. I enjoy watching him play because he’s a great guy, fun to be around, great personality, super smart and intelligent, and articulates very well. Tacko is my guy.”

Brown had been gushing about Boston’s entire rookie class but saved some of his biggest praise for Fall, the 7-foot-7 behemoth who recently earned a 2-way contract with the Celtics after becoming one of the NBA’s biggest stories with his play at summer league.

Fall will get to spend 45 days with the Celtics and the rest of his time with the Maine Red Claws of the G-League, where a mountain of game reps await a mountain of a man.

Brown seems certain Fall will be a full-time NBA player sooner than later. Fall’s teammates have seen how hard he works in training camp, how much progress he’s made in just four months since somehow going undrafted.

It’s why players like Brown have fully embraced TackoMania and are as excited to see Fall get into the fourth quarter of a preseason game as the fans who spent the first 3 ½ quarters chanting for him.

It’s a successful season for Fall if…

… he uses his G-League time to advance his game. He’ll be the developmental league’s glitziest attraction but will still have the opportunity to expand his skills outside the harsh NBA spotlight. Fall can make mistakes and grow without being overly scrutinized. The Celtics can pull him up for roughly a quarter of the NBA season and either utilize him as emergency big-man depth or simply allow him to get a taste of the pro experience. It’s a successful season if fans are still chanting for a tiny glimpse of Tacko in lopsided NBA games in April.

It’s a disappointing season for Fall if…

… his progress flat lines. It seems almost impossible that will happen considering his work ethic, but there’s still so much Fall must learn and develop to emerge as a legitimate NBA rotation player. The potential is tantalizing but Fall must continue to grind to get to the point where he can hang with NBA-caliber bigs on a nightly basis.

2019-2020 Outlook

By simply forcing Boston to make roster moves to keep him around, this season is already a victory for Fall. He’s going to be the biggest celebrity the G-League has seen and make the now-Celtics-owned Red Claws the hottest minor league ticket around. That notoriety is good for Fall but his teammates have stressed to him to stay focused on basketball. If he continues to blossom, Fall will position himself for a lengthy NBA career. For everyone in New England with Tacko Fever, it’s a victory that we get to monitor that progress for at least six more months.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Spotlight: How will Tacko Fall benefit from extended time on the Red Claws? Empty Re: Celtics Spotlight: How will Tacko Fall benefit from extended time on the Red Claws?

Post by dbrown4 Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:02 am

I'm guessing there is no TV for Maine Red Claws?! Does anyone carry those games? I'm going to bet if not, something is amiss!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Celtics Spotlight: How will Tacko Fall benefit from extended time on the Red Claws? Empty Re: Celtics Spotlight: How will Tacko Fall benefit from extended time on the Red Claws?

Post by kdp59 Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:38 pm

I thought she show some games on NBA TV

G-league games in general I mean
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:45 pm

OK. Thanks, kdp59! I'll keep an eye out. There will be high demand for those games on TV. They'll (NBATV) step it up.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:17 pm

My normal take on going to the G-League is that's the beginning of the end. If you're not good enough to stick in the big league from rookie year on, it's not going to happen. If there are any stats kept on that one, I would venture a not too wild guess that I'm absolutely right.

I think Tacko could be a possible exception to that rule. He's extremely raw, and in no way capable of playing in the NBA yet. There's no denying his freakish size, however. He'll never be able to develop enough to be an NBA star, of that much I'm certain. If he can just learn enough to be capable of grabbing a few boards at both ends, contributing a bucket or two from somewhere around the low block, and maybe getting in a block here and there...nice. He could develop into a regular contributor, capable of up to 8 - 10 minutes relief a game, giving opponents absolute fits when the main centers are off the floor. He just needs to play; to be out on the floor for extended minutes. He'll get that in Maine. I think in a year or two it could end up being Tacko Tuesday at Boston area Taco Bell stores all season. That would be muy caliente.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:42 pm

NYCelt wrote:My normal take on going to the G-League is that's the beginning of the end. If you're not good enough to stick in the big league from rookie year on, it's not going to happen. If there are any stats kept on that one, I would venture a not too wild guess that I'm absolutely right.

I think Tacko could be a possible exception to that rule. He's extremely raw, and in no way capable of playing in the NBA yet. There's no denying his freakish size, however. He'll never be able to develop enough to be an NBA star, of that much I'm certain. If he can just learn enough to be capable of grabbing a few boards at both ends, contributing a bucket or two from somewhere around the low block, and maybe getting in a block here and there...nice. He could develop into a regular contributor, capable of up to 8 - 10 minutes relief a game, giving opponents absolute fits when the main centers are off the floor. He just needs to play; to be out on the floor for extended minutes. He'll get that in Maine. I think in a year or two it could end up being Tacko Tuesday at Boston area Taco Bell stores all season. That would be muy caliente.

The absolute first thing Tacko needs to learn is "get the ball to shoulder height as quickly as possible and don't bring it below that again". They should make him watch Kevin McHale film, endlessly, for the drop step and because he never brought the ball down.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:06 pm

bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:My normal take on going to the G-League is that's the beginning of the end. If you're not good enough to stick in the big league from rookie year on, it's not going to happen. If there are any stats kept on that one, I would venture a not too wild guess that I'm absolutely right.

The absolute first thing Tacko needs to learn is "get the ball to shoulder height as quickly as possible and don't bring it below that again".  They should make him watch Kevin McHale film, endlessly, for the drop step and because he never brought the ball down.

bob

Something Perk, much as I loved him, never learned.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:31 pm

Chris Grenham @chrisgrenham
about 16 minutes ago
G League rosters were finalized yesterday at the conclusion of training camp. Tacko Fall's first matchup? 7-foot-4 Christ Koumadje and the Delaware Blue Coats tomorrow night at 7.

reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  25-30mpg against this guy is the best thing for Tacko, better than Poirier-level playing time which is what he'd be getting if he made the team.  Koumadje can't be very good either, or he wouldn't be in the G-League either, but he's as big as Tacko.  Go get'em, BIG guy!

I've never used this, but this might be a usable link to watch the game.

https://www.twitch.tv/nbagleague

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:48 pm

Romeo should also be an nba regular from D league.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down