babyskyhook
NYCelt
gyso
Brandon$$
Sam
19 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:09 pm

I heard he was recovering from an ankle sprain. Let's hope this is just precautionary.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread

Post by gyso Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Sam,

Sheed is not retired until he is retired "officially". What he says doesn't matter.

What does matter, as with all things requiring contracts and lawyers, is that the retirement is not "official" until the buyout has been signed by all parties and then accepted by the league.

Until then, I believe he is a member of the Celtics and can be part of any trade.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:14 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Sam wrote:gyso,

Thanks for your response. Actually, your brainstorm near the end about Sheed retiring AFTER being traded was precisely what my question was. Is it legal to trade a player in full knowledge that he's about to retire? (I suspect that it is, but I was wondering whether you knew.) Perhaps it's not illegal until the retirement has actually been announced, which could be why the announcement is being delayed (until a trade is put into place).

I actually knew the other information. When I suggested that Sheed's contract might be converted into an instant asset, I was talking about getting a player or two for his contract and allowing the player or two plus half of Sheed's contract to come off the books of the cap-thirsty trading partner.

Sam

sam and gyso,

I've heard it said that Rasheed has offered to work with Celtics management to facilitate a trade and then retire. This would help the Celtics with the above scenario.

As far as it ever happening, how about Keith Van Horn?

bob

bob,

Exactly. I was trying to remember his name, I knew it was a K name, but kept getting stuck on Kirk and Kurt. Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Van_Horn

Following the 2006 NBA season, he took a year off in order to spend time with his family. On February 19, 2008 Van Horn signed a three-year deal (only the first year guaranteed) with the Mavericks in order to help complete a blockbuster trade that sent Jason Kidd from the New Jersey Nets to the Mavericks and Devin Harris to the Nets. As expected, Van Horn didn’t play at all for the Nets and was waived on October 23rd, 2008

Once again, thanks.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:18 pm

bobheckler wrote:Somebody at BDC started a thread about this kid. He's undrafted and might be good as an invite to summer camp.

6'11", 260#. Played for Radford (who?) and that might be why he was undrafted (like Lester Hudson in the late second round, his college performances were against inferior competition), but look at his boxscores against Navy, Duke, Kansas and Louisville. He looks like he WAS the entire Radford team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=41147

bob

This is from Hoopsworld: It's a list of undrafted players who have been invited to play summer league. The kid I mentioned above is going to be playing for us, as is Ryan Thompson.

Summer League Spots: There were quite a few players who do have game that did not get drafted in last night's draft. Many of them will play on summer league teams in Orlando and Las Vegas in an effort to prove they deserve a training camp invite and a minimum salary, non-guaranteed contract. Here's a list (won't claim this is complete) of players who have committed to summer league teams:

Player – NBA Team
Brian Zoubeck – New Jersey (Orlando)
Marqus Blakely – L.A. Clippers (Vegas)
Artsiom Parakhouski – Boston (Orlando)
Matt Bouldin – Chicago (Vegas)
Samardo Samuels – Chicago (Vegas)
Sylven Landesberg – Sacramento (Vegas)
Jon Scheyer – Washington (Vegas)
Jeremy Wise – Golden State (Vegas)
Jerome Randle – Washington (Vegas)
Sherron Collins – Charlotte (Orlando)
Ryan Thompson – Boston (Orlando)
Jeremy Lin – Dallas (tryout first)
Michael Washington – New York (Vegas)
Omar Samhan – Atlanta (Vegas)
Mikhail Torrance – Charlotte (Orlando)
Wayne Chism – Sacramento (Vegas)
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread - Page 3 Empty official nba draft

Post by swish Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:24 pm

gyso

I think that there are two other penalties that apply in this case.
#1- The Celts would have to renounce their MLE or it would be added to the team salary.That will be about 5.7 mil. #2- In addition there is a roster charge for each unfilled roster spot up to 12. This is equal to the minimum player salary. That would be another 2.8 mil. added to the 5.8 for a total of 8.6 on top of the 40 mil. that you listed. The Bi- Annual would also have to be accounted for but I think that they used it last year. I may be wrong on the above penalties but thats the way I read them.
swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:39 pm

swish wrote:gyso

I think that there are two other penalties that apply in this case.
#1- The Celts would have to renounce their MLE or it would be added to the team salary.That will be about 5.7 mil. #2- In addition there is a roster charge for each unfilled roster spot up to 12. This is equal to the minimum player salary. That would be another 2.8 mil. added to the 5.8 for a total of 8.6 on top of the 40 mil. that you listed. The Bi- Annual would also have to be accounted for but I think that they used it last year. I may be wrong on the above penalties but thats the way I read them.
swish

swish,

I don't know about the other stuff, but I believed we used our bi-annual on Marquis Daniels.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:52 pm

swish,

You are right on all counts, except for the 12 man roster charge. Actually you are right about the charge, just not right about the cost:

A roster charge if the team has fewer than 12 players (players under contract, free agents included in team salary, players given offer sheets, and first round draft picks). The roster charge is equal to the rookie minimum salary for each player below 12.

Here is the link:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q14

Maybe that is why Washburn came up with the 6mil number, where I came up with 13mil. It is worse than I thought!!!

You are also correct about the Biannual, we spent it on Marquis Daniels and it is not available this year.

Thanks muchly, I learned another thing about the CBA today!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:58 pm

Those hoping for an early look at Avery Bradley in a Celtics uniform will have to wait.

The new Celtics rookie is nursing a sprained left ankle that he suffered during a June 13 workout for Oklahoma City, and will require surgery.

The injury forced him to miss his last four pre-draft workouts. Bradley will spend his summer rehabbing, most likely, at the Celtics workout facility in Waltham, with the hope of being ready once training camp begins in October.

“No, he’s not playing summer league,’’ Danny Ainge said today of the annual session that starts on June 5 in Orlando.

“Avery will need a scope of his ankle and it will be about a six-week (recovery),’’ he said. “He’ll probably say three weeks weeks, but probably six to eight weeks. But he’ll be 100% by training camp.’’

Bradley, who most likely slipped in the draft because of the injury – Ainge was genuinely surprised at the chance to draft the Texas combo guard - seemed unconcerned.

“Right now I’m just looking to get back and get ready,’’ he said.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/index.php/2010/06/25/bradley-needs-ankle-surgery-will-miss-summer-league/
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread - Page 3 50796c_ltpcspicks
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread - Page 3 50796c_ltpcspicks
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread - Page 3 Empty Avery Bradley speaks on becoming a Celtic, His defense, & other

Post by Brandon$$ Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:05 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20100625defense_a_way_of_life_bradley_loves_to_play_it/

Avery Bradley sounded humble when he met the Boston media via teleconference last night. Pretty much every draftee does.

It will be hard to find a rookie who doesn’t talk about just wanting to work hard and get better and help his team in any way he can. When most say that, they’ll actually be thinking about how many minutes and shots they can get so they can establish themselves in the NBA. They’ll be talking about team but thinking about the money and the fame.

There is no doubt Avery Bradley said all the right things when he came in to work out for the Celtics [team stats] early in the draft process. But somehow the words from this 6-foot-3 guard out of Texas have a louder ring of truth.

That’s because the kid loves defense. Really.

“I just think it was a God-given gift,” the Celts first-round draft pick said of his defense. “I’ve been the best defender on every team I played on since first grade. I just feel like it was a gift that God gave me, and I just took it and ran with it.”

Bradley’s defensive direction is based in sound logic.

“Because,” he said, “I feel like you can always have an off offensive game, but my whole thing is I never have an off defensive game. I would definitely love to be one of the top defenders in the league and just . . . I would love to try to get rookie of the year. That’s my goal.”

Doc Rivers, who may or may not be Bradley’s coach, picked up on it right away. He watched tape of the Longhorn with general manager Danny Ainge, who raved about Bradley’s scoring potential. Rivers saw a kid who was always in the right place on defense.

And on a team like the Celtics where the alphabet starts with D, this is a good thing. Every kid needs time to develop, especially a 20-year-old who’d played just one year of college ball. But if Bradley keeps his focus, he may allow the Celtics to sub for Rajon Rondo [stats] and not suffer the defensive dramatic downturn they have in the past.

“I definitely feel like that’s the part of the game I’m most comfortable with right now,” Bradley said. “I feel like I have to work on every part of my game, even on the defensive end, but defense is definitely the strongest part of my game right now.”

And Bradley likes that he’s joining a strong team.

“They’re definitely a team that I’ve followed,” he said. “One of my favorite teams in the league just for the simple fact that they use a lot of teamwork, and everybody on their team plays really hard, and just the older guys on the team, how much they love the game. It just feels great to be able to play with guys that love the game as much as I do.”

Of coming to the Celtics: “That means a lot, as far the history, all the championships and the good players that played for their team. It’s just an honor to be able to play on a team like this. It’s like a family to me. This team’s been through everything, so they can teach me, and not only that, they’ve been winning, so they can teach me how to become a winner and get that work ethic to want to work hard all the time, even though I already do, but they can just instill that in me so I can keep that with me my whole career.”

Bradley was with his family at a downtown Tacoma, Wash., restaurant last night when he learned he was a Celtic. He quickly prepared for a red-eye flight cross country away from his native west. Being from that part of the country, he was asked whom he was rooting for in the Finals.

“Boston,” he replied.

Yep, always saying the right thing.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:10 pm

Sam,

Here is something that speaks directly to your question:

54. What are the rules for retired players?

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q54

There's nothing binding about a player announcing his retirement. The player could still sign a new contract and continue playing (if he's not under contract), or return to his team (if he is still under contract) and resume his career.

The only exception to this is when a player is still under contract, wants to quit, and his team doesn't want to let him out of his contract. Under these circumstances the player can file for retirement with the league. The player is placed on the league's Voluntarily Retired list, forgoes his remaining salary, and cannot return to the league for one year. The latter requirement prevents players from using retirement as an underhanded way to change teams, but can be overridden with unanimous approval from all 30 teams.

Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player is no longer playing or has retired.

Etc, etc, etc, plus:

If a player retires, even for medical reasons, his team does not receive a salary cap exception to acquire a replacement player.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread - Page 3 Empty Bradley To Have Surgery - Miss Summer League

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:39 pm

June 25th, 2010
Bradley needs ankle surgery; will miss summer league
Posted by Mark Murphy at 2:22 pm
Those hoping for an early look at Avery Bradley in a Celtics uniform will have to wait.

The new Celtics rookie is nursing a sprained left ankle that he suffered during a June 13 workout for Oklahoma City, and will require surgery.

The injury forced him to miss his last four pre-draft workouts. Bradley will spend his summer rehabbing, most likely, at the Celtics workout facility in Waltham, with the hope of being ready once training camp begins in October.

“No, he’s not playing summer league,’’ Danny Ainge said today of the annual session that starts on June 5 in Orlando.

“Avery will need a scope of his ankle and it will be about a six-week (recovery),’’ he said. “He’ll probably say three weeks weeks, but probably six to eight weeks. But he’ll be 100% by training camp.’’

Bradley, who most likely slipped in the draft because of the injury – Ainge was genuinely surprised at the chance to draft the Texas combo guard - seemed unconcerned.

“Right now I’m just looking to get back and get ready,’’ he said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:38 am

Thanks, gyso.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:52 am

As Sam stated at the beginning of this thread...

Rather than watching multiple separate threads about the draft and players who got drafted, we thought it might be wise to have one official thread.

If another thread gets started about the draft and Avery Bradley, we will merge it into this one.

We hope this is agreeable to all members.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:21 am

Here is a old article about Bradley:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=4620472

Bradley comes to Texas as perhaps the quietest top prospect in recent memory. While many of his 2009 classmates turned recruiting into a soap opera -- waffling in their commitments or flat-out reneging, staggering through the multistep process of the NCAA clearinghouse or letting their proud papas make noise in the papers -- Bradley gave his verbal to the Longhorns in September 2008. Then he just played basketball.

No drama, no hijinks, just hoops.

After this past week, that's refreshing.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:32 am

Well now that supposedly were gonna lose TA,hope this kid is the defensive stopper hes billed to be......hes got to be alot better than Delonte West both ends from the get go to let TA leave.Still think about how useful DeAndre Jordan could have been,Giddens turned out to be a wasted pick,who knows if he'll even get a roster spot in the league.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:08 pm

7/23/10

Bradley update:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5401265

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:53 pm

Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread - Page 3 Luke_h10

Jul 26, 2010
By A. Sherrod Blakely
CSNNE.com

The agent for Boston Celtics' second-round pick Luke Harangody is hopeful to have a deal done for his client as early as this week.

His agent, Mark Bartelstein, told CSNNE.com that he plans to talk with Danny Ainge, Boston's president of basketball operations, sometime this week to try and iron out a deal for the former Notre Dame standout.

"I'm hopeful we can get it done pretty quickly," Bartelstein said.

The 6-foot-8 forward, chosen by Boston with the No. 52 pick in last month's NBA draft, was arguably the C's best player during the team's summer league schedule in Orlando, Fla. when he averaged 16.6 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.

Just as important, he showed the ability to score from the perimeter as well off the dribble - areas of his game that many questioned leading up the draft.

"It's unbelievable how a guy could dominate a conference as good as the Big East for so many years, and wind up in the second round," Bartelstein said.

At Notre Dame, the 22-year-old became the first Notre Dame player to be named First Team All-Big East three times. In addition he was the first men's player in Big East history to average 20 points and 10 rebounds per game for his career, in addition to becoming the first men's player in conference history to lead the league in scoring and rebounding consecutive seasons (2008 and 2009).

http://www.csnne.com/07/26/10/Harangody-hopes-to-have-a-deal-this-week/v1_landing_celtics.html?blockID=277761&feedID=3945

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:19 pm

I see Luke as a bruising 3 that can score and shoot from perimeter,he also ran floor well during summer league.....if he can beat out Quis for BU 3,thats a good thing.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:26 am

gyso,

The author wrote that Harangody "was arguably the C's best player during the team's summer league schedule...".

I don't think it's arguable at all. He WAS the C's best player. Other players played well too (notably Sims and Janning and, in spots, Carroll) but Luke was the best.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:12 pm

bobheckler wrote:gyso,

The author wrote that Harangody "was arguably the C's best player during the team's summer league schedule...".

I don't think it's arguable at all. He WAS the C's best player. Other players played well too (notably Sims and Janning and, in spots, Carroll) but Luke was the best.

bob

Bob,

You just argued about it, so doesn't that make "arguably" correct? Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread - Page 3 Drunken_smilie

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:14 pm

gyso wrote:
bobheckler wrote:gyso,

bob

Bob,

You just argued about it, so doesn't that make "arguably" correct? Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread - Page 3 Drunken_smilie

gyso

gyso,

Is the correction of an obvious error "arguing", or just setting the record right? If it is, then anything beyond complete submission to known falsehoods is "arguing".

Bottom line: The author was being a weasel-wording hedger who didn't want to just come out with a statement that might be argued with (despite its obviousness), so he hedged so that his readers wouldn't try to nit-pick.

Arguably, his attempted deflection didn't succeed.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:23 pm

Seems to me that Harangody has the tools that, with some NBA experience, could allow him to play a pretty good "3" on offense. The question about his being a "3" will be more focused on his quickness on the defensive end. He does seem to move his feet pretty well, but only game experience will tell the tale.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 am

Update about Luke Harangody flying to Boston to sign a contact?

http://espn.go.com/blog/bostonceltics/post/_/id/4676008/harangody-bound-for-boston?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next