babyskyhook
NYCelt
gyso
Brandon$$
Sam
19 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:46 am

Sims invited to training camp. So far we know it'll be Bradley, Harangody, Janning and Sims. These are the players we thought (Bradley and Harangody were drafted) and hoped (Janning and Sims) would be invited.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68423/20100729/deshawn_sims_invited_to_bostons_training_camp/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Official NBA 2010 Draft and Avery Bradley Thread

Post by NYCelt Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:25 am

Dunno guys; time for me to open the fat yap and make my bold, assured (check the first three letters there) annual pre-season statement about the young talent.

First, for the record, last year I said no way our draft pick (point guard, I've already forgotten his name because he was fairly forgettable) even makes the team. He made it, but did get cut loose later.

I watch a fair amount of NCAA ball, and have seen a good number of ND games the past few seasons. No way Harangody is a 3. He's our 3rd 4 and might get enough floor time that we see Davis at 5... talk about small-ball. I think Harangody is Davis departs in a trade or after his contract insurance.

So for this year's shooting off at the lip I'll call it Bradley and Harangody stick, nobody else from summer league does. Harangody plays the 4-spot (at least in the traditional lineup sense with someone like Daniels on the floor at the 3) Bradley gets a fair amount of minutes by mid-season at the two and plays no point because he's not one and we don't need him to try.

I'm not a real GM, but I would play one on TV...if they would let me...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:49 am

NYCelt wrote:Dunno guys; time for me to open the fat yap and make my bold, assured (check the first three letters there) annual pre-season statement about the young talent.

First, for the record, last year I said no way our draft pick (point guard, I've already forgotten his name because he was fairly forgettable) even makes the team. He made it, but did get cut loose later.

I watch a fair amount of NCAA ball, and have seen a good number of ND games the past few seasons. No way Harangody is a 3. He's our 3rd 4 and might get enough floor time that we see Davis at 5... talk about small-ball. I think Harangody is Davis departs in a trade or after his contract insurance.

So for this year's shooting off at the lip I'll call it Bradley and Harangody stick, nobody else from summer league does. Harangody plays the 4-spot (at least in the traditional lineup sense with someone like Daniels on the floor at the 3) Bradley gets a fair amount of minutes by mid-season at the two and plays no point because he's not one and we don't need him to try.

I'm not a real GM, but I would play one on TV...if they would let me...

NYCelt,

I don't think Harangody can play NBA 4. At 6'7" and an unspectacular wingspan and limited athleticism, he just can't get the job done (FWIW, I never thought Chris Mullin would make it either because he was a tweener, so what does that say about me and tweeners?). He's still athletically challenged at 3 (let's face it, he's athletically challenged, period) but he'll be stronger than them and he's clearly a smart player and works harder than anybody.

One good point about his playing 4 is that his shooting range will definitely open the floor up. Most 4s don't want to stay out there for long.

We'll see.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:51 pm

Hoopshype is reporting that Eddie House just signed a 2 year deal with Miami.

$2.8M, with the second year being a player option.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:58 pm

Bob NYCelt

I too have watched a few ND games the past couple seasons. Within the team concept I think for stretches he can get by at either spot. No he's no Bird but sort of reminds me of him a little. He's a tough kid and to say can't might be a bit premature. I don't think putting to many expectations on him this year are justified anyway. Doubt he will go up against the other teams starters much anyway as he feels his way around.

Just like his attitude, and that he's not afraid to but an elbow where it needs to go.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:04 pm

beat wrote:Bob NYCelt

I too have watched a few ND games the past couple seasons. Within the team concept I think for stretches he can get by at either spot. No he's no Bird but sort of reminds me of him a little. He's a tough kid and to say can't might be a bit premature. I don't think putting to many expectations on him this year are justified anyway. Doubt he will go up against the other teams starters much anyway as he feels his way around.

Just like his attitude, and that he's not afraid to but an elbow where it needs to go.

beat

beat,

Based upon what I saw in summer league, he's not afraid to stick his nose in and take an elbow too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Shooud be PUT an elbow!!

Yeah he's not afraid to mix it up. I know he's not quick or fast and can't jump..................................heard that all before too. Thing is I don't recall him trying to do too much or do things he can't.

Just remains to be seen what he can do when the real season starts.

I hope we all will be pleasently surprised.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:15 pm

Actually, DeShawn Sims is the guy who's listed at power forward but (IMO) could have a shot at making it as a very strong SF at 6' 7," 220. He's very athletic, both running the floor and creating underneath. Shoots very well from mid-range and even can hit the 3-ball. A guy with his athleticism should be able to play pretty good defense with a little guidance. I could potentially see him as a Lebron pest at some point well down the road.

Sims, Harangody, Janning and Bradley were precisely the four I was hoping would join Erden at training camp. I guess people are counting on Bradley to break into the rotation, but I'd rather wait and see what he really has to offer—and at which position. I'd be happy to see any of the five take the last three or four slots on the roster and be developed for the future.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:12 pm

The latest rumor has Avery Bradley being traded to Portland for Rudy Fernandez. I believe the cost is too great and would like to send someone else for Rudy.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:16 pm

gyso wrote:The latest rumor has Avery Bradley being traded to Portland for Rudy Fernandez. I believe the cost is too great and would like to send someone else for Rudy.

gyso,

Who? A sign-and-trade for Scal? If they won't take Sheed our options are limited.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:28 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:The latest rumor has Avery Bradley being traded to Portland for Rudy Fernandez. I believe the cost is too great and would like to send someone else for Rudy.

gyso,

Who? A sign-and-trade for Scal? If they won't take Sheed our options are limited.

bob

bob,

Any combination of:

Erden, Finley, Gaffney, LaFayette, Harangody and Scal, just to make the numbers match. Include a future 1st and 2nd round pick as sweetener.

Whatever, just not Bradley.

However, if it does take Bradley to get Rudy, so be it. IMO, Bradley will be a player that we as Celtic fans will be whining about losing five years down the line.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Gyso, after reading your last post I immediately thought about Chauncey Billups, coming out of college the similarities are there. Height wise a bit of a tweener (6'3") like Bradley, though Billups was more physically mature at that age, an almost NBA ready defensive ability and now the fear of us trading him and watching him blossom into an all-star. I for one would like to see us keep the kid and let him develop, Fernandez is a ok player but I'm not sure if he is the be all end all answer to our swingman bench problem, at least not enough of an answer to ship Bradley off without finding out more about his game and seeing what he can do in training camp and preseason.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:30 pm

According to CBS Sports, the Knicks have made an offer to Shannon Brown.

Per 2 sources, the hold up is that Brown seems to be waiting to see if the Lakers can move Sasha first and free up money for him.

Why anybody would want Sasha, expiring contract or no expiring contract, is beyond me. With a few months left in the season, sure, but now?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:23 pm

I've been trying to gobble up every scouting report I can find on Rudy. any of them were prepared when he wasn't even yet in the NBA.

As everyone knows, I don't look a player's potential in a vacuum but rather within the context of the player combinations he'll most be playing with. Right now, I'm assuming the most likely combination will be (5) Erden or a still-be-acquired big man, (4) Davis, (3) Marquis, (2) Rudy, (1) Nate. (I guess Rudy and Marquis could switch, as could Davis and a big man depending on how big the man is.)

I believe that Davis and the big man will form a more potent rebounding duo than Davis and Sheed did. That rebounding would serve to unleash what could be a fairly devastating fast break involving the other three. Moreover, Rudy would take a lot of pressure off Nate to space the floor.

The bench will also be called upon to exert defensive pressure. I've read everything from questions to raves about Rudy's defense, which probably means it's somewhere in the middle. But three things suggest that he could quickly improve on the defensive end, given some guidance: (1) the passion with which he allegedly plays the game, (2) the fact that he's already a renowned hawk in the passing lanes, and (3) his athleticism.

Moreover, to the extent that he might be called upon to replace Ray or Paul as a starter, Rudy has both outside and inside capabilities that would mean the offensive style wouldn't have to be altered.

Finally, what I may like most about him is that he apparently moves without the ball constantly. That would also help him in replacing Ray, but—more important—it would interject more life into the bench offense. Daniels and Nate seem to thrive in a motion defense too.

Nothing's perfect, but I believe this guy could be a coup for Danny. I'd trade Bradley for him in a minute, and (starting August 1), the trade meets the financial and other requirements. We could spend the rest of our lives worrying about what would happen if we let possible future talents like Gerald Green get away (that's sarcasm, in case I need to spell it out), but we have absolutely no assurance concerning Bradley; we couldn't even watch him in a summer league game. He appears to be a tweener, and I know Billups was too. But Billups was one exception at the PG position. There are many more who were not exceptions and are either fringe players or are out of the league (Hudson, Pruitt, etc.). Besides, I know I'm different, but I believe the objective of a trade is not to fleece the trading partner; it's to make a trade that has possible upsides for both teams so they'll want to trade with you again in the future. One problem with Red was that he scared off a lot of trading partners.

So, Danny, at 12:01 on August 1, you have my permission to get out of your nightshirt, hightail it over to the phone, and consummate the deal. What's that you say, Danny? You're consummating another deal in your nightshirt. Okay, then, after that.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:45 pm

Sam,

Here's the scouting I've seen on him.

http://hoopshype.com/players/rudy_fernandez.htm

ESPN Los Angeles scouting report pre-Lakers/Trailblazers game
http://sports.espn.go.com/losangeles/nba/news/story?id=5073724

And finally, here's Hollinger. Amazingly, he mentions defense.

A rail-thin guard with tremendous leaping ability, Fernandez rarely makes use of his hops because he struggles to get to the rim off the dribble. Fernandez is very good at cutting along the baseline for alley-oops...

Fernandez is outstanding moving without the ball in general, reminiscent of a Reggie Miller or Richard Hamilton, and he draws a lot of fouls this way. Off the catch, he primarily looks to shoot immediately. He'll pass and cut if the shot isn't there, but every so often he'll get a wild hair and try a daring, creative and impossible pass that either ends up in Row 17 or starts a 3-on-1 the other way.

Defensively, Fernandez's lack of strength means the Blazers have to monitor his matchups carefully. He often guarded the opponent's point guard... Fernandez does fine as long as he covers quick guys or non-scorers, but big wings steamroll him.

I also looked at www.nba.com/hotspots and looked at his shooting preferences. He's very effective from 3 and was almost unconscious from 3 in the playoffs.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:55 pm

Well, I guess Rudy's history with the apparent signing of Von Wafer. Now for the remaining big whom I'm still hoping we get via Sheed's contract and maybe a draft pick.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:25 pm

You better watch out, Scal has hung around here all off season. I just saw a picture of him at a camp in Waltham with kids. One time when he was interviewed, they asked him what he would do when his contract was up.
He said he was going to get on his knees and beg Danny to sign him again!!

This makes me nervous. Maybe they have told him something??
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:25 pm

I wouldn't be shocked if they signed Scal to a low-figure one-year, non-guaranteed contract so he could go to camp. Then, they could see how the roster's shaking down with respect to how many kids would make it; and they could keep Scal or not keep him (maybe make him a coach).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:00 pm

A little news about Bradley. There was, apparently, a rookie shoot around and Bradley attended (GOOD SIGN, coming off of ankle surgery that he's playing a week before camp).

Voted 'Best Defender' by his fellow rooks. Some other plaudits as well such as:
most athletic (5th)
shooter (mention)
playmaker (mention)
most overlooked (mention)

http://www.celticsblog.com/2010/9/18/1697144/fellow-rookies-tab-avery-bradley

The % he got, versus other rookies, is further down the page. It wasn't even close.

Here's a link to an article that discusses this and, more excitingly, has a youtube clip of Bradley making an outrageous block.

http://www.celticstown.com/2010/09/19/avery-bradley-named-best-rookie-defender-by-fellow-rookies/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:52 am

Thanks bob,really looking forward to seeing this kid play,can you believe how deep we are at the 1 and 2?We can go real fast with any combo of Rondo,Nate and Bradley playing together.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:40 am

Considering he i supposed to be an elite defender, is athletic and can shoot the ball ok...

What is he missing? Courtvision?
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by celtic fan Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks for the post Bob. Hopefully he can earn some floor time throughout the year and gain some oh so needed experience.
I don't think he'll mean much to the C's for the next yr or two but if he develops he could mean something down the road.

celtic fan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:40 pm

Update:

It is now appearing that was not a shoot around, it was a photo shoot. Avery Bradley will NOT be at the training camp as he is still rehabbing his ankle.

Damn. Sorry about the misinformation.

Nice that he won the poll for best rookie defender by a landslide, it'd be even better if he was ready to prove it on the court.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4