cowens/oldschool
dboss
7 posters

Go down

POST GAME NEW YORK KNICKS - HOME Empty POST GAME NEW YORK KNICKS - HOME

Post by 112288 Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:10 pm

Celtics Wrap: Jayson Tatum Hits Game-Winner As Celtics Beat Knicks 104-102

NESN by Chris Grenham on Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 10:02PM

It wasn’t pretty, but the Boston Celtics snuck by the New York Knicks on Friday to grab their fourth consecutive win. After handling the Knicks with ease less than one week ago, Boston found themselves in a back-and-forth battle with their Atlantic Division foe. Similar to Saturday, it was Kemba Walker who led the way. But it was Jayson Tatum who finished the job with a game-winning bucket as time dwindled down. Walker (33 points), Tatum (24), Gordon Hayward (13) and Grant Williams (10) all finished in double figures for Boston. Ex-Celtic Marcus Morris Sr. led the way for New York with 29 points and nine rebounds. Here’s how it all went down:

STARTING FIVE PG: Kemba Walker SG: Marcus Smart SF: Jayson Tatum PF: Gordon Hayward C: Daniel Theis

STRUGGLING ON THE GLASS Boston forced four turnovers in the game’s first four minutes, putting some immediate pressure on the Knicks. Tatum opened the floor for Boston on the offensive end, using his improved court vision to toss some passes that his former self wouldn’t have been able to. His second assist stood out in particular, which was partially due to Theis’ strong finish. But Boston got crushed on the glass early, with New York winning the battle on the boards 12-5 through nine minutes, including six offensive rebounds. They’d finish the quarter with 16 total and eight of the offensive variety. Grant Williams led the Celtics with a game-high eight first-quarter points off the bench.

SCRATCHING AND CLAWING The Knicks pushed their offensive rebounding advantage to 11-1 early in the second, but they found themselves locked at 34 halfway through the quarter. It wasn’t pretty, but Boston was able to even the playing field with some nice ball movement, collecting nine assists on its first 13 field goals. Tatum had a game-high 13 points points at the break. He collected three of Boston’s four first-half 3-pointers as part of an ugly 4-of-16 shooting clip from deep. The Celtics trailed 50-49 after 24 minutes of shooting 42.1 percent from the floor.

LOOKING FOR A RHYTHM Boston used a quick 9-0 run to take a five-point lead four minutes into the quarter thanks to some quality stops. Good things happen with this team when they let their defense dictate their offense, and such was the case early in the third. The Knicks didn’t go away, though, as they took advantage of some poor shot selection on behalf of the Celtics. Boston went small to close the quarter, with Hayward playing the four. Walker’s third-quarter scoring burst helped keep the Celtics take a one-point lead into the fourth, as the point guard had 21 points through three.

TO THE FINISH Back and forth we went through the final frame, as the score was locked at 82 with 6:53 left. Similar to Wednesday’s win over the Milwaukee Bucks, Walker managed to get to the free throw line quite a bit down the stretch, notching 10-plus attempts for the second-straight game. But the Knicks refused to go away. Walker continued to provide the scoring punch, recording his third straight 30-point performance by the two-minute mark of the fourth quarter. His teammates were very solid down the stretch, namely Hayward and Tatum, who were a combined 13-for-27 from the floor with 90 seconds remaining. After Walker’s 13th and 14th free throws pushed the Celtics’ lead to three with less than 30 seconds left, a broken play put the ball in Morris’ hands, who knocked down a game-tying 3-pointer in front of his former fans. Boston called timeout with 4.7 seconds left, and managed to get the ball into Tatum’s hands. With 1.3 seconds left, the third-year guard knocked down a game-winning, stepback jumper to give the Celtics their fourth consecutive win.

PLAY OF THE GAME Since you’ve already seen the game-winner… We’re really sure how Theis got this one to go.

UP NEXT The Celtics face the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday, with tip-off from Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse set for 7 p.m. ET.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME NEW YORK KNICKS - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME NEW YORK KNICKS - HOME

Post by dboss Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:59 pm

Great game winner for JT.

These are the type of games you have to win.  Several guys missing, a team coming in looking for a win.  The Celtics did not play great basketball but good teams win despite themselves.

VP finally got in on 2 rotations and he really looks stiff and awkward.  So far not much from him in very limited minutes.  He may really find it difficult to get PT.  

Edwards struggling to make shots but I like his defense.

Still no Romeo.

Hayward turns in a solid game.

Walker is full blown.

Too bad Semi cannot knock down open shots.

Smart with some good plays and some unfortunate misses on the fast break.

Theis had 4 block shots.

Get ready for Cleveland and Kevin Love's elbows.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:05 pm

Kemba's defense is not half bad. Much better than you know who. Kemba plays fast at both ends.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:14 am

We were obviously up for the Bucks game and responded. This was a let down game, another game we would have lost last year. We had some good stretches, we had a small team not just at the big positions, but with Jaylen out, our wings aren’t so big or athletic either, plus you miss his effort. Tatum is really developing some nice big shot ability, obviously Kemba has been doing it his whole career.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:46 am

Great win from a very together team. There was a stretch in the 3rd when I had no idea what Brad was doing with his lineup (Porier, Wanamaker, Edwards, Grant and Semi) - but it all worked out in the end.

Tatum is growing game by game.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:53 am

A very close game, beginning to end.

POST GAME NEW YORK KNICKS - HOME 2019-130

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:43 am

This game was close because, in my opinion, Brad went with some ridiculous small ball lineup for way too long.  He has fallen in love with GWill playing center, and Portis feasted on the boards.  I thought Poirier looked ok, but rusty.  Well, the way to get the rust off and see what you really have is to play him.  I really like GWill, he's outperforming most #22 pick rookies, but that was not a good situation for him.  This game, even without Kanter and Williams and Brown, shouldn't have been this close.

They got 51 rebounds, 16 offensive.  That's awful.  It's not like we forgot about their bigs or forgot about boxing out, we were just too small.

But if you are going to play small ball you have to make them pay by running their legs off.  In the end they had 17 fast break points and we only had 16.  So, that didn't work neither.

Very nice game by Mook.  Even with Brad's insanity this would have been a blow out if he hadn't played so well.

Theis with 4 blocks.  He can get the job done on the defensive end.

Tatum with the efficient game that had eluded him so far.  That game winner was icy.  Not a great shot, the Knicks did a good job of taking away better options on the inbound pass, but I can't argue with results.  Congrats on his first career game-winner.

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
yesterday
Tatum on his game-winner: "I don’t want to get too excited. The guys I look up to in this league, they do things like this all the time."

reply retweet like

Hayward has almost doubled his rebound rate.  His shooting has come around, he has become a primary ballhandler but his rebounding deserves its own mention.  Another 9 last night.  That's pretty good for a player who has now been remeasured and is 6'6".  He blew at least 3 bunnies last night.  This would have been a snoozer if he hadn't.  These things happen, Gordon is proving himself nightly so I'm not really "on him" for that, but it would have taken some of the stress out of it.  Overall, season-to-date, I am very happy with Gordon Hayward.

Kemba is now 12th in the league in scoring @ 26.2 ppg.  Kyrie is 2nd at 32.6 ppg.  The Celtics are tied for 2nd in the EC at 4-1 (Miami and Toronto also are 4-1, Philly is only 1/2 game ahead at 4-0) while the Nets are 11th at 2-3.  I am just fine with what we got.  Also, Kemba is 6th in the league in ftas/game.  That's a really important category.

Sean Grande

Verified account

@SeanGrandePBP
Follow Follow @SeanGrandePBP
More
Kemba Walker: 33-6-5a, 14-14 from the line

Just the 5th time in the last 20 years a Celtic has made 14 free throws without a miss.

In the last decade, Isaiah Thomas is the only other Celtic to do it.
POST GAME NEW YORK KNICKS - HOME EIVnSIfXUAYHPa5

Chris Grenham @chrisgrenham
yesterday
The Celtics have 129 free throw attempts so far this year. They had 99 through five games last season, including two games with 10 or less.

reply retweet like

I don't know why Brad plays Semi as much as he does and I sure as hell don't understand why he plays Semi and GWill together, like he did last night.  We got killed on the boards with that lineup.

He only played Poirier 7 minutes last night.  Down two centers, Theis getting his 2nd foul in the 1st quarter, and Brad platoons Semi and GWill instead of replacing Theis with Poirier.  Does Semi have pictures of Brad in flagrante delicto, and that's why he's getting put in ahead of our only full-time 7'er?  WTF is going on with Poirier that he can't get minutes with our center corp so depleted and we're playing a doormat?  Semi is shooting 28.6% from the field this year so far, including 2s.  Not even Marcus Smart ever shot that poorly overall.  Semi must be killing it in practice.  I cannot explain it any other way.

Edwards is playing active defense but he is really, really struggling with his shot.  He's a shooter, he'll be alright, but he has to be wondering what the problem is.

Grant Williams with a really good first half.  He added some rebounding in the 3rd quarter.  He played 11 minutes of the 4th and added nothing that I saw.  Whatever Brad was seeing, I was missing it.  

Bottom line:  I just didn't, and don't, understand Brad's coaching last night.

Tuesday in Cleveland.  Hopefully Kanter and Williams will be back.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401160714

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:43 pm

my guess is the coaching staff doesn't feel the Frenchman is the better option right now.

to be honest when he was in the game last night, he looked lost more than once on the defense rotations and on the offense.

Maybe he'll get up to NBA level as the season goes on, but right now he looks lost to me.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:52 pm

Bob I pretty much agree with all of your observations.

As this team forges an identity it begins and ends at the defensive side of the ball.  This team's defensive DNA remains from years past.

Brad put a lot of small ball lineups on the floor last night and I really do not like the Semi/GWill pairing.  We were down 2 centers and VP is still looking "rusty" as you pointed out.  He moves like a 3-legged stool.  No fluidity at all.

When Kanter and Williams return to action I do not know how VP gets any meaningful rotation minutes.  

Last night Hayward struggled running the offense from up top.  Then they took him off the ball and he began to cook.  He could not finish at the rim or pick up any fouls off the bounce.  He went 0-1 from the FT line while shooting a tech.  Overall he had a pretty solid game with 13 points, 4 assists and 9 rebounds.

The Celtics played painfully slow last night and only put up 74 field goal attempts.  For the life of me I do not understand why Boston does not score more fast break points.  I think they dribble too much up the court.  Brad talk to Tommy.

With regards to GW, he is no center.  A good game playing center does not make him a good center.  Unlike all of the rookies he is logging quality time at 18 MPG.  His overall productivity is below average.  4.6 PPG with 3 rebounds and 1.2 assists.  He is shooting 36.4% from the field and concerns about his ability to play on the wing are still unanswered as he is now 0-8 from deep on wide open 3 point shot opportunities.  Do I like the kid?  Yes i do as I have seen him make impactful plays but I will not get ahead of my skis until he shows a lot more than he has.

Edwards has struggled to make shots since the end of the make believe preseason tournament.  I think the Celtics should run more screens for him.

How come Brad has not let Langford into the game for at least a cameo 'Hi I'm Romeo' appearance?  Jaylen Brown has missed two games and Smart has filled that void but that should have opened up some time for Romeo.  Didn't Brad and Danny brag about how well he was coming along?

Biggest surprise for me so far is that Kemba Walker plays defense.  After watching him for 5 games he actually looks better on defense than our two previous starting point guards. (KI and IT)

Jayson Tatum is laying the foundation for his first allstar appearance.  Okay so he is still struggling finishing at the rim and he still goes into a series of moves when the first one is ineffective but wow this kid got big game.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:02 am

Smart did a great defensive job on rookie stud muffin RJ Barrett. Theis for his size is a very good defender. I would love to see a shutdown line up of Smart Jaylen Jayson Theis and RW, come on Brad give it a shot....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down