Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade

3 posters

Go down

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade Empty Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:19 pm

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/24/ranking-the-boston-celtics-first-round-draft-picks-in-this-decade/

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade D29d6505-2266-4ef9-88a6-63d1ad53d7d2

Barry Werner
November 24, 2019 10:47 am

The Boston Celtics were able to add some key players through first-round selections. However, all of their picks in the first round did not pan out the way they hoped.

2013: Lucas Nogueira

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade Usatsi_10603824
Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

Well, at least the Celtics were smart enough to draft this project and then send him to the Raptors. Unfortunately, part of that deal saw Lou Williams also go to Toronto for John Salmons and a 2015 second-round pick. The seven-foot Noguiera somehow has played in more playoff games (13) than regular-season contests (10). He’s back in Spain now, a bad pick and a good player to rid yourself of, quickly

2019: Romeo Langford

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade Usatsi_13483996
Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

It is early in his career — as in he played in one game not adding up to a minute — but for the time being, Romeo Langford comes off as one of the worst first-round picks by the Celtics in the 2010s. The 14th overall pick did not make a dent on the main roster, instead winding up in Maine on the G League affiliate. He then played for the Celtics after Gordon Hayward suffered a fractured metacarpal in his left hand. He returned to the Red Claws and suffered an ankle sprain in the Red Claws’ home opener. A yo-yo season at best, up and down between the Celts and Maine.

2018: Robert Williams

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade 0e17e3aa-b2e8-4d4b-99cd-d37905bd0bb6

Robert Williams followed the pattern Romeo Langford is on this season: some time in the G League to get seasoning before sticking with the big club. Williams played in 32 NBA games last season, averaging 2.5 points and 2.5 rebounds in 8.8 minutes per game. He’s on his way to doubling that already in 2019-20 with 4.3 points and 4.6 rebounds in 14.2 minutes per game.

2011: MarShon Brooks

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade Gettyimages-182603734
Brian Babineau/NBAE via Getty Images

Another player chosen only to be dealt is MarShon Brooks, who was drafted by the Celtics with the 25th pick and traded to the New Jersey Nets for the Nets’ 27th overall pick in the draft (JaJuan Johnson) and a second-round pick in the 2014 NBA Draft. Brooks played a part in Celtics history, returning to the team as part of the trade that sent Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Jason Terry to the Nets in 2013. The former Providence star only played 10 games as a Celtic. JaJuan Johnson was no better in Boston, playing in 36 games in his NBA career and averaging 3.2 ppg.

2012: Jared Sullinger

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade Usatsi_9094070
David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports

Jared Sullinger was a big man — 6-foot-9, 269 pounds — who came out of Ohio State as the 21st pick with a big reputation. He never quite lived up to it in his four seasons as a Celtic. Sullinger averaged 11.1 points and 7.7 rebounds per game in Green. He moved to Toronto for a short time before playing internationally.

2010: Avery Bradley

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade Avery-bradley-celtics-bulls-4-18-17

Avery Bradley was the 19th overall pick out of Texas. The guard wound up spending seven seasons with the Celtics. He averaged 12.1 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game in 413 games, 340 of which he started. Since leaving Boston, he has played for four other teams.

2015: Terry Rozier

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade B28baf43-f532-403b-b541-6d6a9c273657
Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports

Terry Rozier spent four seasons in Boston, mainly coming off the bench. He made 30 starts in 272 games and averaged 7.7 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.4 assists. He’s moved on to the Hornets and is showing an offensive spark, checking in at 17.4 points per game.

2014: Marcus Smart

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade 456b5e16-a700-41f4-ac42-696d25ec03d3
Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

Marcus Smart came to the Celtics as the sixth overall pick out of Oklahoma State. He is fiery, ferocious, tenacious and everything a Celtic fan could want out of a player. Smart averages 12.5 points, 3.5 rebounds and 5.0 assists per game for the Green this season. He also brings something that can’t be measured: Attitude.

2016: Jaylen Brown

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade Ced63c37-41ab-44e2-8d4d-c25d232e71d9
Bob DeChiara-USA TODAY Sports

Jaylen Brown has gotten better every season for Boston. He’s off to his best start scoring in 2019-20, averaging 18.8 points per game. The 6-foot-6 Brown was a second-team All-Rookie player and simply fits beautifully with the player taken the following year in the first round.

2017: Jayson Tatum

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade E78f8883-8b5f-43dd-b1d0-23f303bfaa26

The Celtics somehow always manage to find players who somehow become big-time stars in the NBA. Jayson Tatum is no exception. The third overall pick out of Duke became an All-Rookie team player in 2018. Tatum has increased his points, rebounds and assists per game in each of his three seasons. He’s a star and a sparkling spoke for the Celtics to keep and build around for years to come.

bob
MY NOTE:  He didn't officially rank the picks but, I'm assuming, that he went from worst (Nogueira) to best (Tatum).  If that's the case, does he really think Terry Rozier was a better pick than First Team All-Defense Avery Bradley?!  AB was a better defender than Rozier and a better shooter.  And Nogueira was drafted and traded to Dallas so Danny could move up for Kelly Olynyk.  The Dallas trade for Salmons and Williams had nothing to do with that, so this author just blew the whole deal that was in it for Boston.  The deal was Nogueira and 2 future 2nd rounders for Kelly.  Nogueira played 4 NBA seasons, the minimum for a first round pick who doesn't get their 5th year option picked up.  He averaged 12.4 mpg in his career.  Cowens' favorite player, Kelly Olynyk, is averaging 23.4 mpg and is shooting 40% from 3 for Miami, which is a pretty good team this year.  I don't know who those two 2nd rounders turned into but, no matter how much you hate Kelly O, he did more for us than 4-and-out Lucas Nogueira.  Hell, his 26 point Game 7 hero game vs Washington in 2017 blows anything and everything Nogueira ever did away.  Romeo is next only because the poor kid can't stay healthy enough to do anything, even practice.  And he ranks The Time Lord below Marshon freaking Brooks?!  Is he shitting me?!

Oh, and by the way numbnuts, you forgot Grant Williams.  The 24th pick is still the first round.  

So there, and take this with you...

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade P04ktjn2

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade Empty Re: Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:24 pm

And Fab Melo.  He forgot Fab.  And James Young.  And RJ Hunter (28).  And Ante Zizic (23), and The Dancing Bear (16).  

And if he's going to include Nogueira why did he forget Matisse Thybulle, who was drafted 20th this year and traded to Philly?

Wow.  This is, by far, the most poorly thought out and researched article I might have ever read.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade Empty Re: Ranking the Boston Celtics' first-round draft picks in this decade

Post by kdp59 Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:42 pm

whats the old saying , you need 3 seasons before you can grade a draft pick?

so I will leave off this years and Rob Williams, since they are too recent to know what we have.

with that said my rankings would be:

1. Tatum
2. Smart
3. Brown
4 A, Bradley
5. K. Olynyk
6. J. Sullinger
7. T. Rozier
8. Zizic
9. J. Young
10. Yabusele
11. RJ Hunter
12. JaJuan JOhnson
13. Fab Melo

I think I got them all.....Ainge may be master of the trades, but not the master of the draft for sure.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:16 am

kdp59 wrote:whats the old saying , you need 3 seasons before you can grade a draft pick?

so I will leave off this years and Rob Williams, since they are too recent to know what we have.

1. Tatum
2. Smart
3. Brown
4  A, Bradley
5. K. Olynyk
6. J. Sullinger
7. T. Rozier
8. Zizic
9. J. Young
10. Yabusele
11. RJ Hunter
12. JaJuan JOhnson
13. Fab Melo

I think I got them all.....Ainge may be master of the trades, but not the master of the draft for sure.

This looks like a good list to work from.

I would say that numbers 1 - 7 have all provided at least a season of highly productive play. Sullinger was a known risk due to injury and weight issues in college, and we lost on that gamble. Rozier may still pan out elsewhere. Olynyk has been productive if unspectacular for Miami.

In my weak attempt at passing judgement, I have to admit that I personally was absolutely certain that JaJuan Johnson was the next KG and a spectacular pick. Turned in my genius card on that one. I campaigned, pleaded, shouted at the TV, and practically snapped a few brain synapses imploring the basketball gods to land us Smart and Tatum. I'll grab a plus there, along with everyone else on those two obvious choices. But then I also wondered if Brown was the right choice, because I was so totally sold on Buddy Hield and Denzel Valentine. Held is in a class by himself, but Brown hasn't been a complete bust. At least not if looking like a soon-to-be All-Star is equivalent to being a bust. It looks like I should say I'm not fit to judge.

I think given frequently bad draft position and a few weak drafts, Danny & Co. have at least done a credible job.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:58 am

kdp59 wrote:whats the old saying , you need 3 seasons before you can grade a draft pick?

1. Tatum
2. Smart
3. Brown
4  A, Bradley
5. K. Olynyk
6. J. Sullinger
7. T. Rozier
8. Zizic
9. J. Young
10. Yabusele
11. RJ Hunter
12. JaJuan JOhnson
13. Fab Melo

kdp,

Here's your list enhanced, in my opinion, by associating each player with their respective draft pick #.  The lottery is 1-14, so out of the 13 players you listed only 4 were lottery picks.  If the draft is more than just a complete crap shoot there should be some reason to believe that a lottery pick will work out better than a non-lottery pick.  The 3 high lottery picks Danny has had were listed 1,2,3 by you.  The 4th lottery pick of his, a #13, was listed 4th by you.  Not surprisingly, the rest of his picks were not so good, HOWEVER, Bradley and Rozier either had their day (AB) or are having it (TR).  There were some notable busts (e.g. Fab, JJ, Fab, Yabby, did I mention Fab?) but I never hold out much hope for players that are in the bottom 3rd of the draft and lower.

I do find it interesting you rate a player that is still only 27 years old, and out of the league, higher than an NBA starter.

1. Tatum - #3
2. Smart - #6
3. Brown - #3
4  A, Bradley - #19
5. K. Olynyk - #13
6. J. Sullinger - #21
7. T. Rozier - #16
8. Zizic - #23
9. J. Young - #17
10. Yabusele - #16
11. RJ Hunter - #28
12. JaJuan JOhnson - #27
13. Fab Melo - #22

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:09 pm

do you mean Sullinger over Rozier?

I just think Sully did more when he was here than Rozier did. But much like my #2 and 3 picks one could easily switch them.

Sully also averaged over 25 pt and 15 rebounds per game in China

LOL!!!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down