Brooklyn Nets GM on draft picks headed to Boston Celtics: 'There's nothing that can be done'

2 posters

Go down

Brooklyn Nets GM on draft picks headed to Boston Celtics: 'There's nothing that can be done' Empty Brooklyn Nets GM on draft picks headed to Boston Celtics: 'There's nothing that can be done'

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:22 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/10/brooklyn_nets_gm_on_picks_head.html#incart_river

Brooklyn Nets GM on draft picks headed to Boston Celtics: 'There's nothing that can be done'

Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on October 15, 2015 at 6:00 PM

The Boston Celtics aren't just winning their trade with the Brooklyn Nets. They have scored so many touchdowns even Bill Belichick is probably thinking, "Come on, guys, it's time to take a knee."
So it's interesting to hear Nets general manager Billy King reflect on the deal. He recently discussed it with the Boston Herald.

"We all made the decision to go for it," King said. "We made a decision, and at that point we felt it was the best decision. And now we're headed in a different direction. I don't think you can sit there and say, 'What if?' You make a decision and you move on. That's how we did it. You make the decision, and then you adjust and you move on as you have to."
Brooklyn thought acquiring Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce would give the franchise an opportunity to contend. Instead, both players were gone within two underwhelming seasons and the Nets now look like lottery contenders -- with their pick set to go to Boston

Including players only, the Celtics already flipped their return into Tyler Zeller, Isaiah Thomas, James Young and David Lee. The team will also receive unprotected first-round picks in 2016 and 2018 plus the opportunity to swap first-rounders in 2017. If fans want reason to rejoice, they just need to listen to David Thorpe:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13893166

"If we hadn't had injuries, could we have won more (with Garnett and Pierce)? Possibly," King told the Herald. "And then the picks (that went to the Celtics) . . . you know, I look at it like, there's nothing that can be done about them. So now we're focusing on trying to gain younger assets, as we did this year. And we'll keep doing that. It's something similar to what I did in Philadelphia, where we gave up a lot of picks early to get to The Finals. Then after that we started retooling and drafting second-round picks like Kyle Korver. You've just got to take what you have and work with it."

King stressed how much Pierce and Garnett impacted the Nets culture. But I bet if the general manager were being completely honest, he'd say how much he regrets the trade and how many years it set back his franchise.

bob
MY NOTE: Danny should buy Billy King a nice fruit basket as a thank you for providing him with either a mid-to-high (maybe even VERY high) lottery pick, depending upon just how bad Brooklyn is, or the trade bait to get our next major piece.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Brooklyn Nets GM on draft picks headed to Boston Celtics: 'There's nothing that can be done' Empty Re: Brooklyn Nets GM on draft picks headed to Boston Celtics: 'There's nothing that can be done'

Post by Matty Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:36 am

Lol...
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down