Post Game Thread - vs Cavaliers, Home 12/27/19

5 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Cavaliers, Home 12/27/19 Empty Post Game Thread - vs Cavaliers, Home 12/27/19

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:18 pm

I'm trying to stay calm, I really am, but the way the two Js are playing now (ESPECIALLY Jaylen) is triggering a drool reflex in me.  Combined they were 24-40, 10-20 from 3, 6-7 from the line, 14 rebounds for a total of 64 points in just 61 total minutes.  Machines, Grim Reaping Machines, just clawing the Cleveland Cadavers up and separating the seeds.

We've victimized ourselves many times with icy cold starts.  Jaylen Brown has taken it upon himself to come out of the locker room hotter than fish grease (credit to ESPN announcer Mark Jones for that metaphor).  He had 12 points in the 1st quarter on 5-7, 2-3 from 3.  He was just unreal tonight.  He was doing whatever he wanted.  The game has slowed down SO much for him.  He has added change of pace to his drives, so the defender will slow up when he slows up and then he puts on a burst and leans forward to get his shoulders past his man and takes it to the rim.  He doesn't try to jam it usually, he lays it in.  A sign of maturity in that already very mature young man.  It's 2 points no matter how it goes in.  Our 22 point lead had gotten whittled down to single digits by a very admirable effort by the Cavs and then Jaylen Brown slammed the door on them with 2 straight 3s that put that, and the game, to bed.  After the game he showed more maturity by already thinking about the game tomorrow.  Dennis Scott and long-time Minnesota Timberwolf player and head coach Sam Mitchell were gushing over Jaylen post-game.  Sam Mitchell said "we're talking like the best player on this team is Tatum, it might be Jaylen Brown".  Jaylen has arrived.

Not that Tatum was too shabby either.  He had 9 points in the 1st quarter but had 24 at halftime.  That's a 15 point 2nd quarter.  His defense was exceptional too.  The two of them looked like they were just working out by themselves in the gym.

Kemba was 5-15, 1-8 from 3, and it didn't matter.  That is amazing.  No wonder he's loving being here.  Last year the Hornets would have gotten blown clear out of the stadium if he had a night like this.  Instead, the other team got blown out.

Gordon had a rough shooting night, 3-9, but he had 8 assists and only 1 turnover.  He just makes things flow.

Kanter is finding his niche and he is working it.  14 points but 9 rebounds, 6 of them offensive.  He's a board monster.  One of the assistant coaches said to him "if you're the best rebounder in the game like you say, prove it".  That's what he's doing.  We all know my opinion of his defense, I'm not shy, but he's doing what he does and he's doing it well.  This game, hallelujah, he played pretty decent defense against the Irresistible Force known as Tristan Thompson.  Kanter even blocked 2 shots!  After his 2nd block he came up court with a look on his face like "yeah, that's right, I'm bad".  See how good it feels playing defense, Saint Enes?

You couldn't tell it from his boxscore, but I thought Romeo looked pretty good.  He has a nose for the ball, always seems to be around it.

GWill with 4 assists.  Doing things other than scoring.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401161108

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Cavaliers, Home 12/27/19 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Cavaliers, Home 12/27/19

Post by dboss Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:35 pm

I think back to the 2018 playoff run when the Jay's almost got us to the championship round.

Now we see them and both are getting better.  We do not know how high their ceiling is but both of them are striving to get better every game.

They feed off of one another.  They both are playing at an allstar level.  

Enes has found a nice flow and as long as he bangs the boards I can live with his defense.  Our 3 headed center makes this team hard to play against.

GH just knows how to play.  I am not worried one bit about his offense because he is a high end offensive player.  He makes everyone better.  He has mastered the offense.

Little by little, the league is coming to the realization that the Celtics are for real.  They can play both sides of the court and have multiple players that can beat you off the bounce.  Our wings are interchangeable and as the J's expand their games by facilitating the offense they become more and more difficult to defend.

Marcus will be back soon as will RW.  Our young guys are gaining experience as they settle into their roles.

Collectively the entire team is coachable.  Still have a long way to go but I have a feeling this team will be at or near the top by season end.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Cavaliers, Home 12/27/19 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Cavaliers, Home 12/27/19

Post by worcester Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:47 am

"GH just knows how to play. I am not worried one bit about his offense because he is a high end offensive player. He makes everyone better. He has mastered the offense."

Worth repeating.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:08 am

worcester wrote:"GH just knows how to play.  I am not worried one bit about his offense because he is a high end offensive player.  He makes everyone better.  He has mastered the offense."

Worth repeating.

8 assists is perfect for him in our offense, just keep giving whatever the game needs....we are a match up nightmare

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Couple of things

1)  League/Media going backwards in time and pushing for the old school battle of the big men ECF/WCF and Finals, yet just a couple of years ago it was GSW and the Splash Brothers and Small Ball.  Insert Kenan Thompson of SNL..."Wazzup wit' dat?!!"  Insert Deborah Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond..."Idiots!!"

2)  The hidden secret treasure of an Offensive Rebound.  EV of an OR with a team that shoots 50% from the field?  1 Point.   Priceless.  How many does Enes average a game?  You do the math.  

3)  All Praise and copious thank yous to Dennis Scott and Sam Mitchell.  I know they were forced to talk about Boston after the NBATV telecast but it was the way they delivered it.  They knew EXACTLY what they were talking about.  They didn't really add anything new to the conversation because we have argued what they said last night ad nauseum on this site but it was refreshing to finally hear it from someone objective AND in the media.  

4) Kemba and Gordon are up tonight.  Very important.  While we all enjoy the J&J Show and will continue to enjoy it and watch it as it progresses, the sooner we can make this a Gruesome Foursome Plus MS and not start bruising egos the better.  Then we become completely unable to defend because NO ONE on the other team can cheat and double team.  Period.  Throw in 3 1/2 of the 5 that can play lock down defense and you have what no other team on the planet has.  That's what going to allow me to changed my avatar this year!!

5) We're a match up nightmare for everyone but PHI so far as they seem to have our number this season, home or away. January 9th is the end-all-be-all. If we don't win that game and the Celtics aren't focusing on it now, we won't get out of the East, other things equal. Period. Only thing we can hope for is (1) MIL vs. (4) PHI with a MIL win and we still haven't proven we can win in MIL yet.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:05 pm

We will beat PHILLY.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:32 pm

worcester,

I hate to call 1/9 a must win game but it is. I like your thinking and optimism. But as of right now, they have our number. And I don't want to beat them sans Embiid or whatever. I want them beat at their best.

"If you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best."...Anyone know who said this without Googling?!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:48 pm

There has always been a dynamic at play. Team A losses to Team B who beat Team C who beats Team A.

The Celtics have to learn how to beat them. You do it by rotating 2 guys on Embid. Shut down his game and the Sixers are a house of cards.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:50 pm

Not to make any excuses, but last time we played Philly, was second game of back to back, Jaylen went 3-9, Jayson went 5-18, and the game went down to last possession. I think those guys can/will do better next time.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:56 pm

I am with you Cow.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:15 pm

A win in Philly on the 9th would definitely make a big time statement. A resounding win wouldn't hurt either. Lose it and we're in no man's land. Right now, the record is 0-2 and in the books. Would force some other teams to rescend/place their balloon and confetti order on hold. That's all I'm sayin'!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down