Celtics Look to Regroup Defensively After Falling to Raptors

4 posters

Go down

Celtics Look to Regroup Defensively After Falling to Raptors Empty Celtics Look to Regroup Defensively After Falling to Raptors

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:12 am

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/post-122819-celtics-look-regroup-defensively-after-falling-raptors?sf227021203=1

Celtics Look to Regroup Defensively After Falling to Raptors 191228defense

Celtics Look to Regroup Defensively After Falling to Raptors

By Taylor Snow |  @taylorcsnow
Celtics.com
December 28, 2019

BOSTON – The Boston Celtics have been one of the top defensive teams in the NBA this season, but even best can slip up at times. Coach Brad Stevens sensed that his team was sliding on that end of the floor during the latter part of Friday’s 129-117 win over Cleveland, and then saw that skid continue into Saturday night’s 113-97 loss to the Toronto Raptors.

“I haven’t felt like we’ve been great on that end as much recently,” Stevens stated after the loss. “We’ve had our moments, certainly – had our moments tonight on defense – but [Toronto] absolutely destroyed us in transition, which was bad.”

The Celtics ranked second in the league in defensive rating through Dec. 25, having allowed an averaged of 103.5 points per 100 possessions through their first 28 games. In their last two contests, however, that number has skyrocketed to 115.0 points allowed per 100 possessions. As a result, Boston now ranks sixth in defensive rating with a mark of 104.3.

Kemba Walker believes one cause of the downward trend has been the team’s collective inability to get back on defense in a timely manner. Fortunately, that is more of an effort issue than a skill issue, which makes it easily correctible.

“Transition defense -- it doesn't take any skill,” explained Walker, who tied his counterpart, Kyle Lowry, for the game-high in scoring with 30 points. “It's nothing but pride and wanting to do it. Tonight, we didn't do it. We have to be better with that, even though all season we've been pretty good transition-wise. But as of late, we kind of got away from it.”

As a result, Toronto was able to convert on several back-cuts and wide-open layups. Such was also the case the previous afternoon inside TD Garden.

“Even in the win against Cleveland, in the fourth quarter we were giving up wide-open layups, wide-open shots, back cuts and things like that,” noted Marcus Smart, who returned from an eight-game absence after dealing with a double-eye infection. “And it just spilled over into tonight.”

It’s clearly a trend that the Celtics are not proud of, but it’s also one that they aren’t overly concerned about. That’s because they know that a better defensive version of themselves exists and that they’ve played as that version for the majority of the season.

“We’ve just got to get back to being a better defensive team,” Stevens said. “And we’ve got to find the right mix of guys that will defend together, that complement our best players to defend well.”

Now with the home back-to-back in the rear-view mirror, the Celtics have a few days to get back on track before heading down to Charlotte for a New Year’s Eve showdown against the Hornets.

“We just have to get back to the drawing board,” Walker said. “It'll be nice to have a chance to get together and practice a little bit and go over the simple things we know can help us win games. We just have to get back to (being) ourselves.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Look to Regroup Defensively After Falling to Raptors Empty Re: Celtics Look to Regroup Defensively After Falling to Raptors

Post by dbrown4 Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:41 am

Unfortunately these little lapses this season will more than likely determine whether we finish in 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the East. It's literally a game of inches....the difference between success and failure.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Celtics Look to Regroup Defensively After Falling to Raptors Empty Re: Celtics Look to Regroup Defensively After Falling to Raptors

Post by wideclyde Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:21 pm

Probably a more veteran team would not have gotten off to such a slow beginning, but such lapses need to be fully minimized as this season progresses.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:31 pm

Toronto is still a solid team and with Boston going in 2-0 it is easy to see this happening. The East is loaded with quality teams and because of that factor we should expect those teams to beat up on each other all season.

The Celtics are a top level team and well coached but there are solid coaches on many East teams.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:53 pm

Maybe I'm looking too far into this year's future but i'm trying to figure out where our exit will be.  With the complete overhaul plus all the newbies, it really is hard to see given where we currently sit with a majority of the season left to work on the rough spots.  

I'm pretty sure unless we fall asleep at the switch for 4 games, the 1st round we should be fine.  After that, it gets very hazy.  

I want to think we are further along than the 2nd Round bow out we did last year but those teams around us have bulked up as well.  Is our overhaul enough to put us into the ECF?  We have to assume if we get to the ECF, Old Milwaukee will be waiting for us again. I can't honestly and objectively answer if we are 3 games better than MIL or will be given some of the gaps at center and defensive inexplicable fall offs we have upon occasion.  If I had a gun to my head, I'd have to say we are not 3 net games better than MIL, or even PHI at this point.

Then you will have LAL or LAC for the Finals barring a complete LeBron implosion.  Given my thought in an adjoining thread, after last night, the Lakers are desperate.  And they are going to take LeBron down with them groin and back injuries be damned.  

This may very well be LeBron's last season.  He will have no one to thank but Lakers management for it and no title to show for it.  Even I don't want to see LeBron go out this way.  I hope the Lakers are happy.  Just ride him out this season via beating a dead horse until he can't play anymore, kick him to the curb, pay him the last $40mil for the next year and wipe your hands of him.  That kind of what you have in mind, Pelinka? After last night, it sure looks like it.

Anyway, I digress.  We'll worry about Finals opponent later.  We have our own problems just getting through and out of the EC.        

So right now, it's just mind games and mental exercises.  Defensive lapses and the 5 spot still on the bucket list needed to be checked off.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Every top team in the East will be a tough out.  We must get consistent play from our centers.  They do not have to be great at anything but they need to be damn good at most things.

Our wings and guards are solid but center has been up and down all year.

It does not help that we are down 2 centers and the hope is that a healthy center position will give us a better chance to win.  Each of our guys have strengths and weaknesses and the 5 remains least likely to suceed.  

Kanter does not help us defensively and Theis is not a legit center because he struggles against elite big men.

The team will work through it and hopefully get better as the season moves on.

There is no good sense to fret over it.  The season has to play out.

Our guys will not give up.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:04 pm

Good advice, dboss.  I'm just going to enjoy this season.  Every team has something wrong with them. Some more than others. Fortunately, we don't have much wrong or that needs fixing. The playoffs will be there when we get there.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down