The Offensive Philosophy Taking Over The NBA

+2
gyso
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

The Offensive Philosophy Taking Over The NBA Empty The Offensive Philosophy Taking Over The NBA

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:37 am

MY NOTE:  At some point this thread may be moved to the "Ongoing Threads and More" section of our site, which can be found from our home page along with the "Game On!" threads and others.  IF it is moved there this thread will be updated to let you know that's where it's going (I tend to stay out of those 'housekeeping' efforts so I don't know what will or will not happen for sure). There are already some nice educational videos to be found there on "Horns" and "Floppy" (if you don't know what those are, and no, they are not of a sexual nature, then you should definitely go check them out) as well as other stuff.

We just want our board members to have the highest BBIQ of any fans anywhere.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Offensive Philosophy Taking Over The NBA Empty Re: The Offensive Philosophy Taking Over The NBA

Post by gyso Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:01 am

Thanks Bob. For this and everything else you do here.

Say the word and I'll move it over, if you'd like.

Back to top Go down

The Offensive Philosophy Taking Over The NBA Empty Re: The Offensive Philosophy Taking Over The NBA

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:26 am

Again, excellent for those of us that love the game and don't know why! Thank you so much! Perfect!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:34 am

Interesting theory. The comparison to a spread offense in football is valid in my opinion.

In football, the spread offense still benefits from the threat of a power running game. There is generally a runner on the field capable of shifting into formation to attack the gaps on a given play, or a WR capable of running a jet sweep to the outside. The potential of running off tackle, penetrating interior gaps or sweeping keeps the linebackers honest and prevents them from totally bailing into coverage. This leaves the receivers in 1 on 1 match-ups with DBs.

In basketball, what does the same thing? A dominant big who can clog the paint on D and pose a low-post scoring threat at the other end. The more things change, the more they stay the same. The biggest problem for today's offensive tendencies in the NBA? The opposition having one or more dominant bigs. Bigs not only capable of shooting from the arc, but more specifically, banging in the paint. That's because relying totally on shooting beyond the arc is useless without the threat of that key player who can score inside. Dominant bigs help remove or at least lessen that threat. It's not complicated.

Back to the future.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:47 pm

Dominant bigs, when has a dominant big led his team to the title in the last decade?

Dominant do it all wings is still where the game is at.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:26 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Dominant bigs, when has a dominant big led his team to the title in the last decade?

Throw a big like Embiid in there, and watch what happens. Wing centered, 5-out shooting teams are ripe for the picking. They'll be at a constant disadvantage on at least one end of the floor. Even Howard/McGee has been able to show what some balance can do with the Lakers this year. He's helped Davis and James get the match-ups and spacing they've needed to open it up.

The cycle is running its course. Styles change. Sideburns and paisley ties went out. I'm thinking 5-out small ball is next to join the Fu-Manchu on the sideline. Give me a team with a couple of hot shooting wings and a big nasty center and schedule the banner hanging ceremony. Philly isn't quite there. Milwaukee is closer. Lakers may just get there first despite age and dings. Add a big old Lanier type to Tatum, Brown,Walker and Smart, and we can buy seats together for the finals. Not an easy find, but I think it's the right ingredient.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:53 pm

I think what is driving offenses is the proliferation of the 3 point shoot. However offensive balanced teams are more difficult to defend.

Players that can make shots at all 3 levels are more complete offensive centers.

The multi-positional player is in demand.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:07 pm

dboss wrote:I think what is driving offenses is the proliferation of the 3 point shoot.  However offensive balanced teams are more difficult to defend.

Players that can make shots at all 3 levels are more complete offensive centers.

The multi-positional player is in demand.

Yes. And if at least one of them can get it done by clogging lanes and owning the paint, his team will have an edge. That appears to be the growing trend. Mobile bigs, perhaps, but with the ability to use their size advantage inside. The low post is going to become a destination again.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:15 pm

NYCelt wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Dominant bigs, when has a dominant big led his team to the title in the last decade?

Throw a big like Embiid in there, and watch what happens. Wing centered, 5-out shooting teams are ripe for the picking. They'll be at a constant disadvantage on at least one end of the floor. Even Howard/McGee has been able to show what some balance can do with the Lakers this year. He's helped Davis and James get the match-ups and spacing they've needed to open it up.

The cycle is running its course. Styles change. Sideburns and paisley ties went out. I'm thinking 5-out small ball is next to join the Fu-Manchu on the sideline. Give me a team with a couple of hot shooting wings and a big nasty center and schedule the banner hanging ceremony. Philly isn't quite there. Milwaukee is closer. Lakers may just get there first despite age and dings. Add a big old Lanier type to Tatum, Brown,Walker and Smart, and we can buy seats together for the finals. Not an easy find, but I think it's the right ingredient.

That I totally agree with, the Shaq-Kobe, KG-Pierce Ray, Duncan-Manu Parker formula will always stand the test of time, great bigs without elite wing and guard play will just not get it done. We obviously need RWill to get his shit together, I like Kantor, he is like a poor mans version of Lanier, but having a defensive demon like the best version of RWill would be breathtaking with our wings and the way our wings can defend.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:04 am

Bob,

Did you want this thread moved over yet?

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:07 am

gyso wrote:Bob,

Did you want this thread moved over yet?

Gyso,

Your call, but I'd say leave it up for a week from initial posting. Anybody who doesn't stop by the board once a week to see if anything interests them probably won't miss it by then.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down