Offensive Rebounding vs. Set Defense

Go down

Offensive Rebounding vs. Set Defense Empty Offensive Rebounding vs. Set Defense

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:07 pm

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2013/09/sq1331offensive-rebounding-vs-set.html

Wednesday, September 25, 2013
by Lee Lauderdale   6:34 AM

Offensive Rebounding vs. Set Defense RoadrunnerNcayote

Most describe the choice between offensive rebounding and assuring a set defense as an either/or proposition.  I would say not necessarily.  For the past several years with the Big Three and their supporting cast of aging veteran role players, either/or was probably a legitimate view; but that is no longer the case or cast.  With judicious use of rebounders, and the motivated combination of youth and hustle, perhaps you can have your cake and eat it too.

With three’s, four’s, and five’s sporting speed and agility, it is no longer impossible to rebound and still beat your man back on defense.  It would require hustle and real effort, but with depth (5 PF/C, 2SF) and a potential shortage of minutes, it seems realistic to go all-out while on the floor.  Add in the fact that there are likely to be a lot of missed shots (aging sharpshooters no longer with team) and an intelligent blend of follow-up and fall-back just seems to make sense.

The past couple of years have been marked (marred?) by an aging core that had trouble getting down court to play offense, and needed an early departure time to make it back on defense. That they would have been able to go for offensive rebounds and make it back to force opponents to attack a set defense is laughable. With their roles now taken by players a decade younger, the capabilities have shifted. Boston lost a lot of experience, steady shooting, and savvy; but that loss is countered by significant gains in speed and stamina. Making full use of the capabilities present is a calling card of the new coach; and I, for one, rather look forward to a team (although weaker) getting better every game rather than a team (on unsteady legs) slipping into worse.

bob
MY NOTE:  I agree with the fundamental premise of this blog, it is not an either/or choice, especially not with a young, athletic team. Also, I love the Road Runner is green.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down