Sam
bobheckler
babyskyhook
Matty
jeb
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Official Doc Rivers Offseason discussion thread Empty Official Doc Rivers Offseason discussion thread

Post by jeb Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:26 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/index.php/2010/06/30/source-rivers-staying/

Yavoy!

Doc's comin back!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Official Doc Rivers Offseason discussion thread Empty Re: Official Doc Rivers Offseason discussion thread

Post by Matty Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:33 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Official Doc Rivers Offseason discussion thread Empty Re: Official Doc Rivers Offseason discussion thread

Post by jeb Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:36 pm

this means the rest of the team is coming back I would bet...doc woona hang around to coacha buncha jaggoffs.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:40 pm

Great news for you guys. Congrats.

Now I'm hoping to hear similar news about Phil.

Would like to see the rubber match next year with both coaches still in place, although I have a feeling if he does come back it will be Phil's last hurrah.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:43 pm

viva la rubber!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:44 pm

cheers
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:51 pm

babyskyhook wrote:

Would like to see the rubber match next year with both coaches still in place, although I have a feeling if he does come back it will be Phil's last hurrah.

BSH,

IF Shaw is offered and takes the Cleveland job, then Phil's decision will be a interesting revelation about him.

The rap on Phil Jackson by his critics is that he inherits talented teams and doesn't build them. Personally, I consider that to be a mark of intelligence, but that's me. How many Larry Brown's are there in the league? One. There are a bunch who are forced to be "builders" but only one I can think of that actually goes out of his way to find an opportunity to build. Phil Jackson is not, and cannot, be forced to do anything he doesn't want to do.

If Shaw is gone (and Tex Winter, the godfather of the Triangle, is already gone, as is Rambis), then Phil will be absolutely hands-on with a coaching staff that is relatively new to their new positions. His bench is thinner than thin and going to get thinner as the Lakers shed their deadwood (e.g. Sasha, Morrison) and the new players coming in won't know the triangle, which is a complex offense that needs two years to really learn.

Here's Phil's chance to show he's not just a frontrunner. Not that it really matters to him, he can just sit on his yacht with his 11 rings and laugh.

Not that the Lakers are a "project" anyway.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:54 pm

jeb that is exactly what i am thinking, I cant see Doc returning for anything less than 1 last run with "The Core"

with the news that Paul has met with Boston and opted out I think things are being put in place- right now we've got just a few of "the old gang" under contract, but with paul opting out of his deal, we're now at what 43 million? something like 13-15 million under the cap.

lets say Boston plans to bring back Ray and Paul, and maybe a few other guys, (Nate & Tony Allen for example) how much of that current cap space can we use and THEN resign Paul and Ray (and or nate/scal/tony)

its gonna be interesting seeing how the dynamics of Rivers returning works out- and theres a few names i'm curious about- guys like House and Ryan Gomes, might they be within the Celtics radar? both were well liked by Rivers I wonder how good their chancs of coming back are? for some reason i kinda think the odds are better now with Doc aboard than otherwise.

back to my original question though, how much impact "could" paul optiing out have in helping us in fre agency if we take Doc return as a rather good omen that Paul and Ray will both also be around for 2010-2011??
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Danny was smiling AWFUL DAMN BIG after that loss ...that shifty doode is up to something.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:06 pm

jeb65 wrote:
Danny was smiling AWFUL DAMN BIG after that loss ...that shifty doode is up to something.

jeb,

Actually, I'd say the opposite. When Danny starts acting like icecream wouldn't melt in his mouth and claims nothing's going on, you know there's something going on. If he's happy and smiling for no obvious reason, he got nothin'.

That was then, this is now. I don't see Danny with a WTF shit-eating smile now and that's making me smile.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:13 pm

bobheckler wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

BSH,

IF Shaw is offered and takes the Cleveland job, then Phil's decision will be a interesting revelation about him.

The rap on Phil Jackson by his critics is that he inherits talented teams and doesn't build them. Personally, I consider that to be a mark of intelligence, but that's me. How many Larry Brown's are there in the league? One. There are a bunch who are forced to be "builders" but only one I can think of that actually goes out of his way to find an opportunity to build. Phil Jackson is not, and cannot, be forced to do anything he doesn't want to do.

If Shaw is gone (and Tex Winter, the godfather of the Triangle, is already gone, as is Rambis), then Phil will be absolutely hands-on with a coaching staff that is relatively new to their new positions. His bench is thinner than thin and going to get thinner as the Lakers shed their deadwood (e.g. Sasha, Morrison) and the new players coming in won't know the triangle, which is a complex offense that needs two years to really learn.

Here's Phil's chance to show he's not just a frontrunner. Not that it really matters to him, he can just sit on his yacht with his 11 rings and laugh.

Not that the Lakers are a "project" anyway.

bob

He'll still have Frank Hamblen (who's been with him forever) and Jim Cleamons (who's been with him almost as long), so things wouldn't change that much. I would assume he'd bring in someone like Ron Harper or Scottie Pippen to replace Shaw, so I don't think that end of it will have much bearing.

I think he wants to come back and give it one more run before the lockout- to try to make it 4 3peats for his career. There's a lot of symmetry there and it makes a lot of sense. I think the bench will actually be stronger, and he'll be forced to play some less experienced guys, but he may find that as a welcome challenge.

I think it all comes down to him feeling disrespected that Jerry and Jim Buss have been talking about having him take a pay cut even though he's brought LA back to back championships. I think his health is a it of a consideration, but it seems like people close to him are saying his health is checking out fine.

When all is said and done, I am thinking (and hoping) that Phil coms back for one more year at his full rate (or very close to it) with everyone publicly acknowledging that this will be his last year in LA. Then BUss isn't on the hook for his salary during the lockout, and Phil gets to try to get one last 3peat.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:21 pm

Great to have Doc back in the fold.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Official Doc Rivers Offseason discussion thread Empty RIVERS BACK!!!!!!

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:25 pm

< Back to front page Text size – +
live
Doc Rivers: I'm coming back
E-mail|Link|Comments (30) Posted by Gary Washburn Globe Staff June 30, 2010 01:27 PM

Doc Rivers told the Globe minutes ago that he is returning to coach the Celtics.

Rivers, who is in San Antonio watching his son Austin play in the FIBA-Americas Under-18 Championships, said he wants another chance to win an NBA title

"I'm coming back," he said in a text message. "I want another crack at it with this group."

The consensus was that the longer Rivers waited on a decision, the more likely he was to stay and he told WEEI radio last week that the lure of leaving and watching his sons play basketball and daughter volleyball was tempered by the opportunity of coaching the Big Three for one more year.

Rivers has one more year on his contract. Austin is a senior at Winter Park High School and considered one of the top players in the country. He scored 35 points in Tuesday's 122-89 win over Canada, an American record, He canned 9 3-pointers.

Rivers is expected to get more time off this season to watch his children play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:28 pm

Yeah baby,

We should all feel good today! Even BSK, etc.

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Matty wrote:jeb that is exactly what i am thinking, I cant see Doc returning for anything less than 1 last run with "The Core"

with the news that Paul has met with Boston and opted out I think things are being put in place- right now we've got just a few of "the old gang" under contract, but with paul opting out of his deal, we're now at what 43 million? something like 13-15 million under the cap.

lets say Boston plans to bring back Ray and Paul, and maybe a few other guys, (Nate & Tony Allen for example) how much of that current cap space can we use and THEN resign Paul and Ray (and or nate/scal/tony)

its gonna be interesting seeing how the dynamics of Rivers returning works out- and theres a few names i'm curious about- guys like House and Ryan Gomes, might they be within the Celtics radar? both were well liked by Rivers I wonder how good their chancs of coming back are? for some reason i kinda think the odds are better now with Doc aboard than otherwise.

back to my original question though, how much impact "could" paul optiing out have in helping us in fre agency if we take Doc return as a rather good omen that Paul and Ray will both also be around for 2010-2011??

Since PP and RA are free agents, to re-sign them, they have to follow the same cap/free agent rules as other teams.
Boston couldn't sign a Rudy Gay to a $10m contract then re-sign PP and RA.
NY is in the same situation with David Lee. For them to sign 2 max players, they will not be able to re-sign Lee. If they want to re-sign Lee, then they can only sign 1 max player.
Boston could be $13m-$15m under the cap if they don't re-sign, PP, RA and TA.

Counting Rasheed, Boston has a payroll next year of $41m for 5 players. The cap will be approx. $56m.
If PP re-signs for $12m/year, then Boston is only $3m under the cap.

Realistically, Boston will only be able to use their mid-level exception and sign veterans at the league minimum.
Having Doc back is huge for luring veteran free agents.
Boston needs to re-sign PP and RA soon so they can show veteran free agents that they are committed to making another run.
They don't want to wait until all of the good veteran big men have signed with other teams.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:26 pm

Hoopdeedoo wrote:Yeah baby,

We should all feel good today! Even BSK, etc.

Hoop

I'm happy for you guys.. Great news for you guys.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Doc is the man. Now lets get Pierce and Ray restructured, and go get Brad Miller - Haslam - Mike Miller - and get back what is ours.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:30 pm

ONE HEADACHE GONE!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Official Doc Rivers Offseason discussion thread Empty So Who's Doc's Assistant????????

Post by 112288 Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:00 am

Since we are talking about everyone and every position, who going to be Doc assistant? Doc is entering his last year of his contract and just might be his last year. Do we bring in a veteran coach to groom him for the job in a year? It would be interesting if Mike Brown is called.

Now let's say you.....who do you think?

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:43 am

Rather than watching multiple separate threads about Doc Rivers, we thought it might be wise to have one official thread.

If another thread gets started about Doc, we will merge it into this one.

We hope this is agreeable to all members.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:18 am

Great move, gyso.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:31 am

Fire Doc
or is it Matty? whatever yur name is these dayz, have a goodun catch anyone? LOL
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:45 am

mulcogiseng wrote:Fire Doc
or is it Matty? whatever yur name is these dayz, have a goodun catch anyone? LOL

i have it on good infro that that FireDoc fella is actauly quite pleased to have Doc around for another run. hehe.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:52 am

112288 wrote:Since we are talking about everyone and every position, who going to be Doc assistant? Doc is entering his last year of his contract and just might be his last year. Do we bring in a veteran coach to groom him for the job in a year? It would be interesting if Mike Brown is called.

Now let's say you.....who do you think?

Rivers will turn his attention to recruiting Celtics free agents Paul Pierce and Ray Allen, and league sources said he’s focused on hiring former New Jersey Nets coach Lawrence Frank to replace assistant Tom Thibodeau, who left to coach the Chicago Bulls.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-riversceltics063010

Do you think that Frank would be hired in order to take over for Doc when he does step down? This may be a way for eliminating some of the discontinuity when a coach exits.

gyso

Last edited by gyso on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : whan is not a word)

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:58 am

Always thinking Gyso!! What would we do without you?????????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next