Kemba Walker update: knee drained and received injection upon return from All-Star break

4 posters

Go down

Kemba Walker update: knee drained and received injection upon return from All-Star break Empty Kemba Walker update: knee drained and received injection upon return from All-Star break

Post by dboss Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:59 pm

https://www.celticsblog.com/2020/2/21/21147254/kemba-walker-injury-update-knee-was-drained-injection-upon-return-from-all-star-break-boston-celtics

The Boston Celtics had previously ruled Kemba Walker out for Friday night’s game in Minnesota due to continued soreness in his left knee. After shootaround on Friday, Brad Stevens added a little more clarity on what Walker’s dealing with:

Kemba Walker update: knee drained and received injection upon return from All-Star break CXMbdyYX_normal

Keith Smith

✔@KeithSmithNBA

[ltr]Brad Stevens said today that Kemba Walker had his left knee drained and received an injection to help with both swelling and soreness. Walker is out for at least tonight's game in Minnesota.[/ltr]

12:09 PM - Feb 21, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

[ltr]

See Keith Smith's other Tweets

[/ltr]

Walker has missed games previously due to left knee soreness this season. However, this is the first time the team has acknowledged it was serious enough for action beyond just rest with the knee both being drained and receiving an injection to help with swelling and soreness.
Stevens went on to say that had the Celtics medical staff thought this was a possibility that “There is no way (Walker) would have played” in this past weekend’s NBA All-Star game. While exact playing time is difficult to determine, due to the game using the “Elam Ending”, Walker played around 30 minutes on Sunday. Many of those minutes were more competitive than is usual for an All-Star appearance, due to the nature of this season’s game.
Stevens continued to express optimism that “It doesn’t sound like it’s long-term or anything” and that it’s short-term enough that “playing Sunday (at the Los Angeles Lakers) will be in the discussion”.
Friday night will be Walker’s ninth missed game of this season. That’s the most games Walker has missed in a single season since being out for 20 games in 2014-15. Over his final four seasons with the Charlotte Hornets, Walker was one of the NBA’s most-durable players with a combined six missed games.
In the first year of a four-year, maximum contract that pays a total of $140.8 million, Walker has averaged 21.8 points, 5.0 assists and 4.1 rebounds per game. He’s having the best overall shooting season of his career with an effective field goal percentage of 53%.
Boston kicks of a tough four-game road trip to start their post-All-Star break schedule at the Timberwolves. From there the Celtics will play at the Lakers, Portland Trail Blazers and Utah Jazz before returning back to Boston at the end of next week.

NOTE:  I thought that he played way too many minutes in the ASG.  He actually should not have played at all.  He has been having some issues with the knee for a while.  This is when having Marcus Smart on your team makes a big difference. And the surprisingly reliable Brad Wanamaker will step in and do his job.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Kemba Walker update: knee drained and received injection upon return from All-Star break Empty Re: Kemba Walker update: knee drained and received injection upon return from All-Star break

Post by NYCelt Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:19 pm

Makes-my-skin-crawl story of the day.

Absolutely hated having my knee drained. Long, sharp needles and motor oil looking fluid syringed out of my knee was never party time. Had it done a couple of times.

On the plus side, it does move things along and gets you playing again.

I'm sure getting Kemba's knee drained, a little rest, and some management of total minutes for a while will do the trick.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Kemba Walker update: knee drained and received injection upon return from All-Star break Empty Re: Kemba Walker update: knee drained and received injection upon return from All-Star break

Post by dbrown4 Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:38 pm

I had a weird thought. Hopefully you guys and gal can/will shoot it down. Why do when I see Kemba and his bouncing moves all over the court and now these injuries, I see a lighter, pre-futuristic version of Derrick Rose?

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:16 pm

I agree with dboss. He shouldn't have played in the ASG. He wanted to though , and he did. Here's hoping his abscence will be short.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:20 pm

dbrown4 wrote:I had a weird thought.  Hopefully you guys and gal can/will shoot it down.  Why do when I see Kemba and his bouncing moves all over the court and now these injuries, I see a lighter, pre-futuristic version of Derrick Rose?

db  

Not sure about comparison. Rose had some serious injuries but Kemba had been an iron man.  Rose was an elite athlete that put a tremendous amount torque on his body.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:54 am

Kemba seems to bounce more than torque. He's probably just a bit lighter than Rose. But he does change direction very quickly.

Well, the All Star Break got everyone else healthy! I'm going to guess Brad won't play him tomorrow either. Injury report hasn't updated just yet.

db

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down