dboss
dbrown4
sinus007
cowens/oldschool
tjmakz
bobheckler
11 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Nets, Home 3/3/20 Empty Post Game Thread - vs Nets, Home 3/3/20

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:26 am

The most embarrassing loss of the year.  The Nets had a 51 point 4th quarter.  We were up 5 with 6 seconds left in regulation.  We lost the rebounding battle by 21 rebounds.  They had 8 more offensive rebounds than us.  They were just flat-out out-working us.  Luwawu-WTF had 5 offensive boards.  The word "choke" comes to mind and that has a very, very bad taste.

I blame this loss on Brad.  This is the 2nd game in a row where an opposing player went into "god-mode" and he didn't have a response.  This is the 2nd game in a row where an opposing coach threw a zone at us and it threw us off.  He had 6'0" Carsen Edwards, fresh from the G-League, guarding Caris LeVert.  6'6" Caris LeVert was turning into vintage Kobe and he only plays 6'6" Romeo Langford a total of 7 minutes.  He has the refs calling a whistle on the last game of regulation, which sent LeVert to the line for 3 and the tie, and he didn't challenge it.  I don't know, maybe he didn't have a timeout left to challenge it with but he could have asked for a review since it was within the last 2 minutes, and he just stood there.  

I blame this loss on the refs.  38 ftas for Brooklyn vs 23 for us.  We both were attacking the basket but only one of us was getting whistles.  That whistle for LeVert was especially egregious.

And I blame this loss on the players.  There is no excuse for standing around and watching the ball come off the board.  No excuse for not working hard.  We scored 2 points in OT.  You can't blame Brad or the refs for that because Brad cannot/will not call a play for every possession, the players have to play and the players have to take, and hit, their shots.  Carsen Edwards hit our only 2 points in OT.  Smart with a dumb offensive foul.  Wanny with a dumb offensive foul.  Nobody could hit the broad side of a barn. LeVert single-handedly outscored the entire Celtic team in the 4th quarter and OT, 37-36.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
yesterday
Brad Stevens asked for an injury update: "I have no idea who is going to Cleveland. I think most of the coaches are going, a couple players. I just want eight, nine guys, whoever is gonna play hard, let's go. Like, that was ridiculous."

Awful.  I watched the 4th quarter and OT at Ozumas.  I stopped eating fish and started drinking sake for 1/2 hour after the game was over.  Freaking awful.  I know that Tatum was out sick.  I know Hayward left after 17 minutes and that Kemba was on a minutes restriction but this was awful.  They should have fed Jaylen like he was Jabba the Hut.  When Tatum, Kemba and Gordon aren't on the floor, for whatever reasons, he's the closest thing to an All-Star we have left to draw upon.

Good thing Brad was saving the troops for Cleveland tonight.   Kemba's not going to Cleveland, Gordon probably isn't. Tatum wasn't at the arena last night, and they left for Cleveland from the arena, so he's probably not going neither. Lord knows where we'd be if they weren't fresh for that. Time to wake up and smell the sarcasm.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401161552

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Nets, Home 3/3/20 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Nets, Home 3/3/20

Post by tjmakz Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:45 am

bobheckler wrote:The most embarrassing loss of the year.  The Nets had a 51 point 4th quarter.  We were up 5 with 6 seconds left in regulation.  We lost the rebounding battle by 21 rebounds.  They had 8 more offensive rebounds than us.  They were just flat-out out-working us.  Luwawu-WTF had 5 offensive boards.  The word "choke" comes to mind and that has a very, very bad taste.

I blame this loss on Brad.  This is the 2nd game in a row where an opposing player went into "god-mode" and he didn't have a response.  This is the 2nd game in a row where an opposing coach threw a zone at us and it threw us off.  He had 6'0" Carsen Edwards, fresh from the G-League, guarding Caris LeVert.  6'6" Caris LeVert was turning into vintage Kobe and he only plays 6'6" Romeo Langford a total of 7 minutes.  He has the refs calling a whistle on the last game of regulation, which sent LeVert to the line for 3 and the tie, and he didn't challenge it.  I don't know, maybe he didn't have a timeout left to challenge it with but he could have asked for a review since it was within the last 2 minutes, and he just stood there.  

I blame this loss on the refs.  38 ftas for Brooklyn vs 23 for us.  We both were attacking the basket but only one of us was getting whistles.  That whistle for LeVert was especially egregious.

And I blame this loss on the players.  There is no excuse for standing around and watching the ball come off the board.  No excuse for not working hard.  We scored 2 points in OT.  You can't blame Brad or the refs for that because Brad cannot/will not call a play for every possession, the players have to play and the players have to take, and hit, their shots.  Carsen Edwards hit our only 2 points in OT.  Smart with a dumb offensive foul.  Wanny with a dumb offensive foul.  Nobody could hit the broad side of a barn.  LeVert single-handedly outscored the entire Celtic team in the 4th quarter and OT, 37-36.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
yesterday
Brad Stevens asked for an injury update: "I have no idea who is going to Cleveland. I think most of the coaches are going, a couple players. I just want eight, nine guys, whoever is gonna play hard, let's go. Like, that was ridiculous."

Awful.  I watched the 4th quarter and OT at Ozumas.  I stopped eating fish and started drinking sake for 1/2 hour after the game was over.  Freaking awful.  I know that Tatum was out sick.  I know Hayward left after 17 minutes and that Kemba was on a minutes restriction but this was awful.  They should have fed Jaylen like he was Jabba the Hut.  When Tatum, Kemba and Gordon aren't on the floor, for whatever reasons, he's the closest thing to an All-Star we have left to draw upon.

Good thing Brad was saving the troops for Cleveland tonight.    Kemba's not going to Cleveland, Gordon probably isn't.  Tatum wasn't at the arena last night, and they left for Cleveland from the arena, so he's probably not going neither.  Lord knows where we'd be if they weren't fresh for that.  Time to wake up and smell the sarcasm.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401161552

bob

Bob,

I don't know if the Celtics had any time outs left at the end of regulation.
I would assume they didn't as Brad did not challenge.
Even if he challenged, it was a foul on Smart.
Smart didn't argue on that play.
Referees don't review fouls in the last 2 minutes unless there is a challenge.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Nets, Home 3/3/20 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Nets, Home 3/3/20

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:58 am

Smart made the worst play at the worst time, opposite of how he usually performs....

More concerned about the injury bug.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:35 am

Hi,
Yes, that was embarrassing.
To be fair, besides the absence of JT and GH (in the second half of the game) JB didn't play the last 2-3 minutes of the regulation and all OT.
Two bright spots, though. RW looked very good, considering. And Carson shot 3s instead of trying to get a layup.
On the dark side, it seems like we lost 2 starters (JB and GH) in addition to sick JT. Oh boy...

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:41 pm

I'm really teetering heavily on the edge of 3rd Place, maybe 4th as MIA hasn't lost in 4 games and we'll probably come up short in CLE tonight with everybody out injured, thus blowing a very comfortably locked 5-6 game loss column lead over MIA. And given a performance like this, we may have to consider not making it out of the 1st Round. Here's why.

Look who's waiting for us in 6th and 7th Places...the two teams that currently have our number. All about matchups and evidently both teams match up well against us. I just don't see that changing all the sudden in the playoffs. If we are fortunate enough to get out of the 1st Round in 7 games, we will turn around and go 7 against TOR and be done. This week, gold (2nd Place) was laid at our feet and we stepped right over it. Ignored it. Returned it to sender. Not what a contender does, even the last one in.

A contender also doesn't blow huge leads. When we barely lost to HOU, I had to think when the last time we blew a huge lead and lost this season. It was kind of like, "Huh. That's odd." Couldn't think of one off the top of my head. Last season was legion. Full of them. Then we go B2B with them now in the stretch run?!!

Never should have been in that situation. Let's face some facts. The injury thing just isn't going to change this season or in the playoffs. We've been hoping for it all season and it's just not going to happen. Period. Done talking about it. Will just review the two page injury report on ESPN before every game. We either have the absolute worst, confounded luck this season with them or the worst possible trainers or the frailest of players. Pick one, pick them all.

Sorry, Bob. Not even any sarcasm here. Beyond extremely pissed and disappointed at this point. Absolutely livid. Hopefully I will get out of this mood by game time tonight.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:54 pm

This was  a rare loss.  Not often do our guys lose 2 in a row in OT at home.  With JT out and the first half injury to GH and Walker on a minutes restriction our bench was used extensively to fill in the holes.  Unfortunately the leaks were everywhere.  To add insult to those injury, JB came up lame after pulling a hammy.

Our bench may be able too provide complimentary assistance but it should be evident to everyone that they lack the talent to become major contributors.

It is relevant however to understand that guys that rarely play do not have the experience to operate against your basis 3/2 zone let alone turn into defensive stoppers.

The game was butt ugly.   No need for finger pointing because of the injuries.  More than any game this one shined a bright light on the lack of quality depth 9-15.

The one bright spot was Robert Williams returning  to action.  He played 10 minutes and scored 10 points and had 3 offensive rebounds.

Moving forward we can only hope and pray that this team came avoid more injuries.  That is the one variable sure to derail our playoff aspirations.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi,
Another bright point from the game (they should've put as a game highlight) Smart blocking Allen's dunk. That was something!

https://twitter.com/i/events/1235007459820859395

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:40 pm

Hi,
Here we go again:

https://twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/status/1235263487124951040

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:46 pm

English translation...3-in-a-row...losing yet another game we should have won.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:59 pm

dbrown4 wrote:I'm really teetering heavily on the edge of 3rd Place, maybe 4th as MIA hasn't lost in 4 games and we'll probably come up short in CLE tonight with everybody out injured, thus blowing a very comfortably locked 5-6 game loss column lead over MIA.  And given a performance like this, we may have to consider not making it out of the 1st Round.  Here's why.

Look who's waiting for us in 6th and 7th Places...the two teams that currently have our number.  All about matchups and evidently both teams match up well against us.  I just don't see that changing all the sudden in the playoffs.  If we are fortunate enough to get out of the 1st Round in 7 games, we will turn around and go 7 against TOR and be done.  This week, gold (2nd Place) was laid at our feet and we stepped right over it.  Ignored it.  Returned it to sender.  Not what a contender does, even the last one in.  

A contender also doesn't blow huge leads.  When we barely lost to HOU, I had to think when the last time we blew a huge lead and lost this season.  It was kind of like, "Huh.  That's odd."  Couldn't think of one off the top of my head.  Last season was legion.  Full of them.  Then we go B2B with them now in the stretch run?!!

Never should have been in that situation.  Let's face some facts.  The injury thing just isn't going to change this season or in the playoffs.  We've been hoping for it all season and it's just not going to happen.  Period.  Done talking about it.  Will just review the two page injury report on ESPN before every game.  We either have the absolute worst, confounded luck this season with them or the worst possible trainers or the frailest of players.  Pick one, pick them all.    

Sorry, Bob.  Not even any sarcasm here.  Beyond extremely pissed and disappointed at this point.  Absolutely livid.  Hopefully I will get out of this mood by game time tonight.  

db          

Back away from the edge D. Games like this happen, especially when 4 of your best players are either injured or 1st game back from injury. Judge the team on their ~70% win rate. Really doubt Miami catches us. They have shown us all year they are a solid team. It's a blip. We'll be fine

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:00 pm

Tatum, Brown and Hayward are out tonight.  This is the first time all 3 of out starting wings missed a game at the same time.  Green is day to day.

So we get to see a preseason game.

I would start Langford and G Will along with Kemba if his knee is okay, along with Smart and Theis.   Without Kemba not a lot of offense in that unit.

Kanter should be able to help and RW should also get some minutes.  Carson Edwards will also be in the mix along with Semi.

Just throw everything against the wall and see what actually sticks.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:12 pm

@CLE is probably not the best place to do that in this race for 2nd Place but that's all we've got. WTH is Tacko?!! Might as well bring him down if this is all hands on deck!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:24 pm

Thanks, Shamrock. Backing up now! They will need to really "SHOW ME SOMETHING" soon, though! SMS!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:03 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Thanks, Shamrock.  Backing up now!  They will need to really "SHOW ME SOMETHING" soon, though!  SMS!!

db

I hear ya D - past couple of games have been frustrating to watch. Next one could be too. Still believe that if this team is fully healthy come playoff time, they can make some noise.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:30 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
dbrown4 wrote:Thanks, Shamrock.  Backing up now!  They will need to really "SHOW ME SOMETHING" soon, though!  SMS!!

db

I hear ya D - past couple of games have been frustrating to watch. Next one could be too. Still believe that if this team is fully healthy come playoff time, they can make some noise.

Rock in the end it is all about health as you stated.  There is no way around that fact.  I remain confident that a healthy Boston Celtics team can beat anybody.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:31 pm

Contrary to reports: The sky is not falling.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:10 pm

JT to play tonight, JB out at least a week (hamstring), GH day to day (knee).
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:09 pm

Some coaches would have instructed them to foul before he went into shooting motion. The fact that you have to make sure not to foul before it is inbounded makes that strategy dangerous, though. I know the players are to blame, but coach a little bit, for crying out loud. Our bench is too young to be productive in these situations where there is no veteran scorer on the court. That being said a little proactive coaching wouldn't have hurt.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:31 pm

Throw in the towel. They are done. Rolling Eyes
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down