+3
Berlin-T
Sam
worcester
7 posters

Go down

Post-game Thread-Nets away Empty Post-game Thread-Nets away

Post by Sam Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:09 pm

The Celtics suck! They can't defend. They don't hustle. They're walking turnover machines.

Oh wait!

The hustling Celtics used tight defense and amazing ball control to upend the Brooklyn Nets in Brooklyn.

They started the same as though it would be more of the same, going behind by double dights. But, as Brad said later, they showed signs of some fire, running the floor very well but missing on an amazing array of chippies. Still, they trailed by only six at the one-quarter mark, as Zeller and Bradley had 58% of the Celtics' 19 points in the quarter.

They maintained the defensive pressure during the second quarter and led by one at halftime despite having shot only 26%. One key was that they took 21 shots in the quarter to 18 for the Nets. It was obvious that this wouldn't be a pretty game, and I mentioned during the Game-on Thread that the refs were letting a lot go in the trenches. Tyler and Avery were still pacing the Celts with 12 points apiece, and the team had only three turnovers in the half.

Although the Celtics won each of the last three quarters, it was the third that I thought was pivotal. The Celtics won the quarter only 29-26, but it seemed that, in a quarter that could have catapulted the momentum in either direction, the Celtics took control of the contest. The fivesome of Zeller, Sully, Green, Bradley and Turner played most of that quarter. The Zeller/Bradley show continued with Avery scoring nine and Zeller six. No other player among that five scored more than two points in the quarter. How could that be? More distributed scoring, with one player (Smart) scoring four points and five players scoring two points apiece. And the Celtics assisted on 10 of their 12 made field goals (83%) in the quarter. At the end of that quarter, the Nets had 14 turnovers to five for the Celtics—an indication of the sustained defensive effort in which the Celts kept pushing the Nets out just beyond their comfort zones.

The fourth quarter was an object of apprehension among us Celtics fans. But, given how they had hung so tough and had resisted Nets run after Nets run during the first three quarters, an odd feeling of confidence came over me to the point where I doubted my sanity for a while. But the Celts kept the pedal to the metal, and the Nets never led as the game ended 89-81 Celts. Brad satisfied those who felt he went too long with the hot guys in the previous game by splitting the fourth quarter minutes about equally among the starters and the bench. The main exception was Brandon Bass, who played 11 minutes and drove incessantly to the rim. He wound up with only five points for his trouble.

Jeff Green had another so-so game, scoring only eight, with only one rebound, and only 11 FGA. But he saved four of those points for two backbreakers near the end(one pull-up jumper, one aggressive cut and slam off (I think) a Smart assist that basically put the game out of reach for the Nets. Hopefully coming through in the clutch will jump start his game.

One key to the game was that, although their final shooting percentage was a sliver under 40 points, the percentage increased in each of the last two quarters. In this game, the Celtics had only two guys in double figures (guess who), while the Nets had four. But seven different players contributed from five to eight points apiece. The Celtics had only six turnovers in the entire game. The starters were +3 and the bench +5 in this one. Certainly nice to have both units pitching in.

One question I had was that, after the game, Brad said Wright needed minutes. In fact, Brad seemed almost upset that Brandan had never once left the bench in this one. Yet, Tyler Zeller played 29 minutes, leaving 19 available for a sub. Brad obviously selected Sully or Olynyk (and maybe Bass for a short time) over Wright. I'm sure he had his reasons, but the contradiction in his post-game comments piqued my curiosity.

Zeller and Bradley shared my game ball, although Crowder seemed to will the team to victory in the fourth quarter. On one play, especially, reminiscent of the Rondo length-of-floor race and dive to corral the loose ball, get up and sink a layup. This time, an errant pass by the Nets created a back court situation as the ball rolled toward the Celtics baseline. One net, standing beside Crowder, simply stood there. Another Net raced Jae for the ball. Jae jumped on the ball and was fouled as he was about to slide out of bounds. He made the two freebies and, more important, set up a period-ending two-for-one situation that resulted as yet another score for the Celts. Little things like that add up to victories. To say nothing of team morale.

The bottom line was not the win (at least not for me). The bottom line was a display of energy, ball-sharing, and great defensive strategy. Once having experienced it, there's no way anyone can deny the Celtics have that kind of ability. They just have to figure out how to maintain it game after game. On talent alone (forgetting any trades that Danny might make), the remainder of the season could be a downer. But energy reveals the true potential of talent, and that's something i hope we can look forward to.

Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post-game Thread-Nets away Empty Re: Post-game Thread-Nets away

Post by worcester Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:20 pm

In the words of the Sound if Music: "Ray, a drop of golden sun..."

Gotta savor those glimmers of light in a dim season...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:21 pm

In the words of the Sound of Music: "Ray, a drop of golden sun..."

Gotta savor those glimmers of light in a dim season...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:24 pm

I hope you got to see this one, Worcester. It wasn't as exciting as some; it wasn't particularly pretty to watch; but it was good for what ails the souls of Celtics fans.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:31 pm

I wish i had...but it was good to read the posts.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:41 am

A most satisfying win. I was at first a little disappointed that Young did not play. But then it dawned on me, we're winning. We won. Who cares who played?
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:07 am

LOL Sam,

yep good energy and I also noted some excellent spacing on offense a lot.

and on keeping my post a couple day before the Nets game....

now lets go kick some Indiana ass!!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:25 am

This was the best defensive effort that we have seen all year.  For the first time the Celtics won a game that was under 100 points.

We saw quicker rotations all over the place. 

Defense is the name of the game.  When the Celtics play with this level on detail and energy at the defensive end they are a real tough out.

Excellent game!

dboss (I just popped my head up from the lifeboat and sure enough the ship is still afloat) lol
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:02 am

Berlin-T wrote:A most satisfying win. I was at first a little disappointed that Young did not play. But then it dawned on me, we're winning. We won. Who cares who played?

Berlin,

Exactly.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 pm

dboss,

It's still afloat, thank goodness. But there seem to be plenty of sharks (aka other general managers) ready to pounce on any tasty morsels (aka available players) they can reach. lol.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:19 pm

I was also impressed with the seemingly newly found hustle. The Nets are not the best team in the league, but a win with hustle may start to set the tone for additional hustle.

Teams that are not exceptionally talented can lose games when they do not hustle, but lesser teams almost never win without intense hustle. Unfortunately, the Cs are the latter type of team this year and have lost more than just a couple of games that they should have won if they had brought the same amount of hustle that they showed last night.

I am glad that people are starting to take Crowder's contributions to heart. Even one of the local papers had an article yesterday on his competitiveness and hustle.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:04 pm

Clyde,

I've like Crowder from nearly the first minute he stepped on the parquet. He's the type of player that forces things to happen out there. All of a sudden, deflections occur, the 50/50 balls start going the Celtics' way, the game speeds up, and momentum usually eventuates.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down