beat
Matty
gyso
bigpygme
dbrown4
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

The Official Jermaine O'Neal Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official Jermaine O'Neal Thread

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:24 am

Maybe he is working with Ray this summer on his free throws?

Gyso-So you say they may be interested in a sign and trade? Who do they trade? We don't have that many guys on the roster right now. Baby - I can't imagine him trading him unless it is for a real quality big. Could they be negotiating with Robinson for a sign and trade? I think that would have come out. There don't seem to be any secrets in the NBA anymore!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

The Official Jermaine O'Neal Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official Jermaine O'Neal Thread

Post by gyso Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:32 am

Rosalie,

We have two free agents left, Scal and Nate. Nate may want more years than the Celtics would like, so he is a likely player for a S&T to the Western Conference, where his style may fit in better. Scal supposedly had interest from the 76ers and the Nets, but since they are in our division, I don't expect they are in a hurry to help us out.

Any other free agent that will go for the vet minimum can be added to the mix as well, not just our own.

As you say, NOT Glen Davis. He stays a Celtic.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:35 am

Rosalie,

Danny's pretty good at keeping secrets. gyso's possibilities pretty much confirm what I've been hoping for. One way or another, I'd like to see the Celtics get a defensive-minded swing man (2-3), a good-shooting swing man (2-3), and another big (who could be a journeyman) by utilizing some combination of Sheed's contract and a veteran's minimum. Of course, wanting ain't getting; and the prospect of acquiring two decent wings from the same team in a deal for Sheed is probably a long-shot. Perhaps two other teams might be involved somehow.

For the past two weeks, I've been looking at rumor sites every day. Now I'm just sort of relying on Danny to do his best.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:41 am

Gyso,
In re: Sheed contract, s-n-t, is there a deadline?
Thank you very much,
AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:50 am

sinus007 wrote:Gyso,
In re: Sheed contract, s-n-t, is there a deadline?
Thank you very much,
AK

sinus,

Not that I am aware of. I believe this could go on all summer and beyond if that is what it takes for Danny to get what he wants for the Celtics.

Sheed is under contract for the next two years. It needs to happen sometime within that timeframe. The Official Jermaine O'Neal Thread - Page 3 Icon_lol

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:52 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Maybe he is working with Ray this summer on his free throws?

Gyso-So you say they may be interested in a sign and trade? Who do they trade? We don't have that many guys on the roster right now. Baby - I can't imagine him trading him unless it is for a real quality big. Could they be negotiating with Robinson for a sign and trade? I think that would have come out. There don't seem to be any secrets in the NBA anymore!

Rosalie,

I'd prefer Rondo to be in Atlanta working on his shooting (including his free throws) with Mark Price. That's what he did last summer and his jumper definitely improved.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:18 am

I don't know, they say he has been around the Waltham facility most of the summer. Also, I just heard on the radio that Danny Ainge confirmed that Rasheed was officially retired. So I guess he is shopping that slot? I don't really understand how a retired guy can help in trades. I believe they would have to send along some money in order to buy Wallace out, right? wrong?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:38 am

I just listened to an interview on the radio with Jermaine. Quite an articulate young man, I have to say! I gather that Rondo had alot to do with his decision to come here, and Rasheed. He did say that if Doc and Ray hadn't come back he wouldn't have considered coming here. He is quite excited about being a member of the Celtics. I was impressed! Let's hope it carries over onto the court!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:42 am

Rosalie,

A player is not officially retired until he files retirement papers with the league office.
If Rasheed has not done that, Boston can trade him and his contract to any team. I don't know how they do this, but the team that Rasheed is traded to will want some type of a guarantee that he does retire and not change his mind.

I don't know if Rasheed will try to get a million or 2 to walk away or will work with Boston so they can trade his contract. One good sign that Rasheed is willing to work with Boston is that he has not yet officially filed his retirement papers with the league.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:45 am

Rosalie,

The way his contract helps is that he doesn't officially retire until the trade occurs. Then he retires, and his salary (at least a lot of it) comes off the books of his new team, saving them a lot of cap money.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:50 am

He is in Boston right now, so something must have taken place for Ainge to come out on the radio and say that he was definitely retiring. O'Neal said he was planning on meeting with him later in the day today before he leaves Boston.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Good catch, Rosalie. It may very well be that things are brewing given the combination of factors you identified.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Again the more I look at it the more I like the JO signing. jo really upgrades the center position from an offensive standpoint. defensively he is not as physical as perk but he can still play defense and should be a big plus.

I'm hoping the Celtics resign Williams and then use the Sheed contract to acquire a proven 2-3 to bu PP and ray.

I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised at how well JO fits in.

There are obviously some unkowns but I think DA will pull off a deal that will make everybody happy.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:17 pm

did not realize that Williams sign with denver
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:15 pm

gyso wrote:Sam,

I'm pretty sure that Sheed HAS decided to retire. Danny has been trying to trade his contract, but there are so many variables that make it not so straight forward (an as timely) as many would like.

For instance:

Sheeds contract is worth 6mil (more or less). With a simple one for one trade, the Celts can get a contract up to the 7.5mil range. This is the simplest of the options. The Celtics add some cash to offset Sheed's buyout to make it easier on the trading partner.

Add a sign-and-trade (insert player's name here) to Sheed and the Celts can get a much higher contract number guy. The Celtics can get a better player (or a couple of players) this way. I believe this is what they are trying to do. Patience is the key to squeeze even more out of Sheed's contract. Teams have to wait to see where the bigger free agents (and some of the lesser ones) go and then react to how that affects their team's make up. A team may sign a free agent once the market is set and trade away an existing player for Sheed and Player X. One of the keys here is that the other team has to want Player X.

On the JO revelations: So he was kicked? Ray was also kicked and we saw the results in Ray's jumpers after that.

Rondo is hanging around Boston this summer? Perhaps he is practicing his free throws and jump shots, building on his general improvement during last years regular season. Rondo may also be at the team's practice facility when the C's bring in various players to work out.

gyso

Ray was kneed,Artest slid laterally just to stick Ray right on the quad with his knee, dirty bush league play.Call me HARDCORE,but if that was me I'd send Sheldon Williams out there with instructions to land right on Artest on a drive and send the low life flying and make sure you hurt him good.Doc didn't do this,BUT I woulda.They want to play dirty fine we'll play dirty.....well never happened.Who saw that play,that knee?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Article about what O'Neal brings to the Celtics compared to Perkins.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/will-jermaine-oneal-make-the-celtics-better.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:08 pm

tjmakz wrote:Article about what O'Neal brings to the Celtics compared to Perkins.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/will-jermaine-oneal-make-the-celtics-better.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

TJ,

Nice article. Thanks.

We joke/lament about Perk's stonehands, but we accept them as part of the package that gives us a brutally physical defender that really frees the rest of the defense up by being able to play monsters like Howard, Shaq and Bynum straight up. This article highlights the other aspects of O'Neal's game. Like that the offense will run more efficiently because he's one of the best centers in the league and NOT turning the ball over. We turned the ball over waaay too many times last season. We'd have won several more games with just a couple fewer turnovers/game.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:10 pm

Bob,
You're right: the much bigger question is how JON's going to fit into the Celtics D. Frankly, I don't understand why the author focuses on JON and Perk at the O-end and not a word about D-end where Perk is one of the best.
Also, there's a question how JON's going to fit in the second unit when Perk is back.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3