Report: Kyrie Irving proposed players start a new league in group chat with Nets teammates

+3
gyso
worcester
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Report: Kyrie Irving proposed players start a new league in group chat with Nets teammates Empty Report: Kyrie Irving proposed players start a new league in group chat with Nets teammates

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:38 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kyrie-irving-proposed-players-start-a-new-league-in-group-chat-with-nets-teammates-010518519.html

Report: Kyrie Irving proposed players start a new league in group chat with Nets teammates

Jack Baer

Yahoo Sports

June 16, 2020, 6:05 PM PDT

Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving appears to have much bigger plans than just leading a minority of NBA players against the league’s restart.

During a group chat with Nets teammates, Irving proposed that the players can start their own league, according to the Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News.

Stefan Bondy
✔
@SBondyNYDN
In a recent chat group with Nets players, Kyrie Irving lobbied for skipping the bubble, the Daily News has learned. In that chat, he also proposed that the players can start their own league, according to a source. https://twitter.com/SBondyNYDN/status/1273023235362299904 …

Stefan Bondy
✔
@SBondyNYDN
For the NBA players, canceling the season could devastate the salary structure for now and the future https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/ny-nba-season-orlando-bubble-cancel-salary-contracts-coronavirus-20200616-ub5faleukzefbo2ilapmx456mi-story.html …

3:58 PM - Jun 16, 2020

Bondy later clarified the plan was not necessarily in response to the NBA’s bubble plan. Bleacher Report’s Taylor Rooks posted a similar report, and added that Irving reportedly left the group chat in question after reports emerged of his proposal.

Taylor Rooks
✔
@TaylorRooks
Sources tell me that Kyrie Irving never stated that the Nets should begin their own league in response to the bubble.

I'm told that after that report came out, he left the group chat.

7:33 PM - Jun 16, 2020

In response to the NBA’s plan or not, it’s a bold strategy, and yet the source isn’t too surprising.

Kyrie Irving has been pushing against NBA’s return

That proposal comes while Irving lobbies against players joining their teams in the bubble at Disney World. A group of more than 80 players discussed the matter on a conference call last week, with Irving saying he strongly preferred focusing on the movement against racial injustice that has emerged following the killing of George Floyd.

Floyd’s death seems to be weighing heavily on Irving, who will not be playing in Disney World either way after undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery. Retired NBA veteran Stephen Jackson, a friend of Floyd’s, said that Irving has called him crying more than once about the topic.

Report: Kyrie Irving proposed players start a new league in group chat with Nets teammates 5ad61c50-5436-11ea-affe-b76222d850c2
Kyrie Irving has been a loud voice as the NBA tries to restart its season. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

Irving and a group of other players released a statement on Friday declaring they wanted to fight a system of “Use” and “Abuse.” Perhaps Irving saw the reported players league idea as a way to push in that direction.

Los Angeles Lakers guard Avery Bradley, a fellow leader on Irving’s side, told ESPN on Tuesday that the group is seeking better hiring practices for black front office and coaching candidates, donations to black communities and partnerships with black-owned business and vendors.

The NBA and NBPA are reportedly discussing how to address those issues, with no definitive plan yet.

bob
MY NOTE:  He's still the Little Shit-stirrer.  Thank God he's a Nyet and not a Celtic.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: Kyrie Irving proposed players start a new league in group chat with Nets teammates Empty Re: Report: Kyrie Irving proposed players start a new league in group chat with Nets teammates

Post by worcester Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:08 pm

Yes, Kyrie has graduated from doing his best to break up teams to breaking up the NBA now. Progress, Kyrie, progress.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Report: Kyrie Irving proposed players start a new league in group chat with Nets teammates Empty Re: Report: Kyrie Irving proposed players start a new league in group chat with Nets teammates

Post by gyso Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:20 pm

I read another article about Kyrie wanting to create a new league. In that article, it mentioned that we professional basketball fans are NOT so much fans of certain players, but that we ARE fans of certain teams. They listed the Celtics, Lakers, Knicks, 26ers and a couple more.

Kyrie is the clueless wonder. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:57 am

No thanks.  I love the NBA,  warts and all.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:08 am

I can’t stand this little pampered entitled piece of shit

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:26 pm

His short stint with the Celtics established the fact that Kyrie is not a credible leader.  If you follow him you are likely to fall off of the edge of the world into nothingness.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:21 am

I agree 100% with everyone's sentiments about Kyrie.
He is not just an odd person. He is selfish, divisive and probably the worst example of a leader in sports.
I am not talking about his recent stance against the league starting up again in Orlando.
That last straw for me with Kyrie was in game 5 of the playoffs last season against Milwaukee.
He went 6-21 with 0 (ZERO) rebounds and 1 (yes, just ONE assist) in the game that closed out the series.
Kyrie literally could have cared less if Boston beat Milwaukee.
I actually feel Kyrie did not want Boston to win.
His mind was made up months earlier that he was leaving Boston.

This now brings us to Kyrie's recent statements about racism.
I am posting a link about comments made from Will Cain of ESPN.
Will is sharing his opinion that Kyrie is actually supporting racism and segregation.

https://www.insider.com/kyrie-irving-new-player-league-will-cain-says-supporting-racism-2020-6

ESPN's Will Cain says Kyrie Irving is supporting racism and segregation with talks of a new, player-led basketball league

Kyrie Irving. Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports
ESPN radio host Will Cain said during a recent segment that Kyrie Irving is supporting racism and segregation.
Cain referenced a recent Instagram post from Irving and reports that Irving has spoken to NBA players about building their own, player-owned basketball league separate from the NBA.
Cain questioned Irving's "agenda" and said it was trying to separate people rather than bring them together.
Cain said, "of course black lives matter," but said the validity and agenda of the specific Black Lives Matter movement should be questioned without being called racist.

ESPN radio host Will Cain questioned the "agenda" of Black Lives Matter and Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving during a segment on Wednesday.

Cain, who has branded himself a conservative figure in sports, went as far as to say Irving's ideas support segregation and racism.

Cain began the segment by asking for a specific agenda of the Black Lives Matter movement and what steps will be taken to accomplish it. Cain said while "of course black lives matter," he felt people should be able to question some of the goals of the "capitalized" Black Lives Matter movement without being called racist.

Cain then turned to Irving, who is reportedly leading a coalition of NBA players who are questioning the NBA's plan to resume the 2019-20 season in Walt Disney World. Irving has reportedly said that he doesn't support going to Orlando, partly because he worries it will take away from the national spotlight on racial inequalities and social justice reform.

"Here's Kyrie Irving taking us in yet another direction," Cain said. "This is the whole point: if we can't have an honest conversation about the validity of ideas every step of the way, and if you have any disagreement or questions about the validity of these ideas, then, therefore, you're racist, then we are sick in the head. I want you to listen to what Kyrie Irving says, and you tell me, is this something we have to sign up for?"

Cain then read an excerpt from an Instagram that Irving posted on June 2, when many social media users posted a black square with the caption "#blackouttuesday."

Part of Irving's caption read: "The agenda, FREE OUR PEOPLE, because we know all this talking and protesting will get us maybe a few law changes and conversations, but at this point it's bigger than that. It's time we take all our Native Indigenous Black culture, business, ideas to a new place as a collective and protect it just like other cultures have done. Build our own!"

"Kyrie Irving is talking about racism, but in support of it"
Cain used Irving's Instagram quote and then conflated it with a report from Stefan Bondy of The New York Daily News that Irving has discussed NBA players forming their own league. Ryen Russillo of The Ringer reported that Irving had addressed the topic with teammates before. Some Nets players denied the reports.

The Instagram post that Cain quoted was made several days before reports of Irving's opposition to the NBA's resumption.

"The headline has been 'Kyrie Irving talks about establishing a players-owned NBA,'" Cain said. "Kyrie Irving is talking about a secession. Kyrie Irving is talking about segregation. Kyrie Irving is talking about racism, but in support of it."

Cain said Irving was calling for people to be separated because of their differences, instead of embraced for their differences.

"We have gone 180 degrees ... This is the opposite. We're separating each other based on our shallow differences. So, is this the agenda?

"I know, you're gonna say, 'Will, it's Kyrie Irving. Kyrie Irving is an airhead' — you're right. You'd be absolutely correct. But the point is, without an answer, this is the kind of thing that has half-a-million endorsements on social media, on Instagram."

Cain added: "If I tell you that this is not just wrong, this is immoral, does that make me a racist?"

NBA players want more action from the league and its owners
Los Angeles Lakers guard Avery Bradley has been leading the  "coalition" alongside Irving. Bradley told Adrian Wojnarowski and Malika Andrews of ESPN that he and Irving want to see the NBA and team owners take action in social justice reform.

"We don't need to say more. We need to find a way to achieve more. Protesting during an anthem, wearing T-shirts is great, but we need to see real actions being put into the works ... The actual act of sitting out doesn't directly fight systemic racism. But it does highlight the reality that without black athletes, the NBA wouldn't be what it is today. The league has a responsibility to our communities in helping to empower us — just as we have made the NBA brand strong."

Bradley added: "Why (is) all of the responsibility being put on the players?"

"What is the endgame?" Cain said at the top of the segment. "What is Black Lives Matter shooting for? What is the goal? What is the sign of progress? Answer that question. If you're not seeking the answer to that question or providing it, not only do I not think you're an ally, I think you are probably working against it. Without an answer to that, we have a society spinning off in different directions."
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:33 am

I thought watching that 3rd quarter, he was throwing the game.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down