wideclyde
Shamrock1000
dboss
jrleftfoot
bobheckler
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

16 NBA players test positive for coronavirus Empty 16 NBA players test positive for coronavirus

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:50 pm

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-16-nba-players-test-positive-1b95c8c4-7c56-4c20-ae47-72e39dd03a55.html

16 NBA players test positive for coronavirus

Fadel Allassan

16 of the NBA's 302 players — or 5.3% — tested positive for the coronavirus after league-wide testing, the Players Association announced Friday.

Why it matters: It's the first in a series of regular tests for the players, with the league set to restart on July 30 in Orlando, Florida. Players who participate in voluntary workouts at their team's facilities will also be tested every other day beginning next week, per ESPN.

Players who tested positive will stay in self-isolation for as long as public health protocols call for, and until they've been cleared by a physician.

The league or player's association did not announce the results of NBA staff, who were also tested.

What's next: Mandatory workouts will begin on July 1, and the 22 teams participating in the restart will begin arriving in Orlando on July 7.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

16 NBA players test positive for coronavirus Empty Re: 16 NBA players test positive for coronavirus

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:28 pm

Now its 32 of 605.  More than 5 %. Can't seem to delete this. So, here's my edit: this is wrong

Last edited by jrleftfoot on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

16 NBA players test positive for coronavirus Empty Re: 16 NBA players test positive for coronavirus

Post by dboss Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:04 pm

The Accuracy of the PCR test remains an issue.

John Hopkins article

Here is the link

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/newsroom/news-releases/covid-19-story-tip-beware-of-false-negatives-in-diagnostic-testing-of-covid-19

"In the report on the findings published May 13 in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, the researchers found that the probability of a false negative result decreases from 100% on Day 1 of being infected to 67% on Day 4. The false negative rate decreased to 20% on Day 8 (three days after a person begins experiencing symptoms). They also found that on the day a person started experiencing actual symptoms of illness, the average false negative rate was 38%. In addition, the false negative rate began to increase again from 21% on Day 9 to 66% on Day 21."

I think it is quite possible that there are false negatives among those that have been tested.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:37 pm

Scary shit. I went to the dentist yesterday .  The forehead thermometer said my temperature was 101.4. I took my mouth thermometer  out of my pocket and took my own temp. 97.6 They took my temperature again in 5 minutes, and ushered  me in. The dental tech told me that the forehead thermometers could be as much as  4 degrees off, in either direction. In other words, I could have had a temp of 102 registered as 98. That's the scary part.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:39 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:Scary shit. I went to the dentist yesterday .  The forehead thermometer said my temperature was 101.4. I took my mouth thermometer  out of my pocket and took my own temp. 97.6 They took my temperature again in 5 minutes, and ushered  me in. The dental tech told me that the forehead thermometers could be as much as  4 degrees off, in either direction. In other words, I could have had a temp of 102 registered as 98. That's the scary part.

Wow. That is scary considering how narrow the temperature range compatible with life is. Pretty much a useless device.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:51 pm

dboss wrote:The Accuracy of the PCR test remains an issue.

John Hopkins article

Here is the link

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/newsroom/news-releases/covid-19-story-tip-beware-of-false-negatives-in-diagnostic-testing-of-covid-19

"In the report on the findings published May 13 in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, the researchers found that the probability of a false negative result decreases from 100% on Day 1 of being infected to 67% on Day 4. The false negative rate decreased to 20% on Day 8 (three days after a person begins experiencing symptoms). They also found that on the day a person started experiencing actual symptoms of illness, the average false negative rate was 38%. In addition, the false negative rate began to increase again from 21% on Day 9 to 66% on Day 21."

I think it is quite possible that there are false negatives among those that have been tested.

For what it's worth Dboss, PCR itself is remarkably accurate, and has high sensitivity. Reading the link you posted, I wonder if the way they obtain sample is the problem. I have had the the test - the stick something like a small ice pick up each nostril and swirl it around. Really unpleasant. Could be the virus is not always in those nasal cells???

Regardless, its a little scary. If 16 players are positive for sure, and if false negatives are as common as you say, we are getting close to 20 players. About 5% of people who test positive die, i.e. one out of twenty. Can you imagine if a player died after they restart?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:39 am

There may be some questions on the reliability of some testing procedures, but trying to play basketball in Central Florida this summer is likely not such a good idea for the health of any of these NBA players.

Probably not a good idea anywhere, but with Florida's case number rising dramatically this restart attempt certainly should be of concern for every single player in the next few weeks and months.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:29 am

Rock

The PCR test is not remarkably accurate from what I have read.  You may recall concern that a person can get reinfected.  Scientist are now saying you can test negative because the virus load is too small to detect.

They often have to do multiple test over several days or weeks.

There is still more research to be done on the quality of the PCR test.  You may recall that the CDC messed up early on and 3 weeks were lost.

The virus has already gone through a major mutation (increased number of Spike proteins on the surface increasing opportunity to attach to the ACE2 receptor) AND researchers have discovered that the mutated virus has increased capability to shut down the immune system.

What scares me is the virus mutates to a more virulent infection for young people. (like the Spanish Flu)
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:34 pm

dboss wrote:Rock

The PCR test is not remarkably accurate from what I have read.  You may recall concern that a person can get reinfected.  Scientist are now saying you can test negative because the virus load is too small to detect.

They often have to do multiple test over several days or weeks.

There is still more research to be done on the quality of the PCR test.  You may recall that the CDC messed up early on and 3 weeks were lost.

The virus has already gone through a major mutation (increased number of Spike proteins on the surface increasing opportunity to attach to the ACE2 receptor) AND researchers have discovered that the mutated virus has increased capability to shut down the immune system.

What scares me is the virus mutates to a  more virulent infection for young people. (like the Spanish Flu)

We agree. Pretty much entirely. I should have been more clear - I meant that PCR as a general molecular biology tool is remarkably accurate and effective. The way it is implemented in this particular test kit was absolutely initially flawed, and may still be. What you said about too small a viral load could be related to my concerns about using nasal swabs - the way samples are collected, both timing and where cells are obtained, have a great impact on PCR sensitivity. The good thing is that the accuracy should be very high - the test really can find RNA sequences that are unique to Covid-19. False positives SHOULD be rare....

Absolutely share your concern about young people becoming more susceptible this virus!

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:06 pm

Rock will you be able to join us on Zoom?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:46 pm

dboss wrote:Rock will you be able to join us on Zoom?

Hope to be there, yeah...

Thanks for organizing this.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:50 pm

Gives a new basketball meaning to the Sweet Sixteen...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:02 pm

worcester wrote:Gives a new basketball meaning to the Sweet Sixteen...

Worcester,

Sweat Sixteen.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:05 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 8 hours ago
There is a very real concern about how contracting COVID could affect a player’s long-term stamina and jeopardize their career. But the headlines about Rudy Gobert still recovering from COVID are for quotes of him saying his sense of smell is still recovering, not his breathing.

reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  Rudy Gobert is still experiencing symptoms after 3-4 months?!  This is a young professional athlete here.  NOT good. Fortunately it's just his sense of smell BUT...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:09 pm

Excessive zinc intake compromises senses of smell and taste.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:48 pm

worcester wrote:Excessive zinc intake compromises senses of smell and taste.

Worcester,

So I should stop snacking on galvanized steel fittings?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:35 am

Brooklyn's DeAndre Jordan has tested positive for coronavirus and will miss the restart.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:25 am

17 then
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:22 pm

18 now, Spenser Dinwiddie of the Nets tested positive with active symptoms. He will be out I bet.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:58 pm

Are numbers 17 and 18 actually part of the 16 that tested positive? Many of the 16 were undisclosed.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:00 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29388278/sources-nuggets-close-facility-due-coronavirus

Coach Mike Malone tested +
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:28 pm

dboss wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29388278/sources-nuggets-close-facility-due-coronavirus

So it starts. How much longer before the season is cancelled?

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:13 pm

gyso wrote:
dboss wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29388278/sources-nuggets-close-facility-due-coronavirus

So it starts.  How much longer before the season is cancelled?

gyso

There will be 370 players attending (17 man rosters) plus coaches, trainers ( average is 35 persons per team) And you got families and the media and security and refs, etc

I think the NBA is hell bent on the restart. It would probably take a 10% infection rate to give this restart pause. The NBA anticipates that infections will occur. You could go into the bubble after a negative test and become positive several days later once the virus becomes detectable. In the interim asymptomatic spread could very well turn the bubble into a hot zone.

The whole thing is just a bad idea and could do more damage than good. Longterm effects of Covid 19 are starting to come to light

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:41 pm

I've read that there is a 72 hour window after one gets infected until one becomes infectious. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, how soon after one is infected can a serological or swab test indicate infection with a low false positive rate?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:59 pm

DeAndre Jordan and Spencer Dinwiddie have both tested positive for COVID-19.

Denver is reporting 3 members of their organization are positive also, they have not identified who they are, and Jokic has also tested positive (although he might be ok by now).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next