sinus007
steve3344
gyso
dboss
bobheckler
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Adrian Wojnarowski suspended by ESPN, sparking #FreeWoj push Empty Adrian Wojnarowski suspended by ESPN, sparking #FreeWoj push

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:38 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/nba-rumors-adrian-wojnarowski-suspended-espn-sparking-freewoj-push

NBA rumors: Adrian Wojnarowski suspended by ESPN, sparking #FreeWoj push

By Ali Thanawalla

July 11, 2020 8:32 PM

This gives new meaning to Woj Bomb.

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski has been suspended by the company, Outkick's Ryan Glasspiegel reported Saturday night, citing sources.

Ryan Glasspiegel
@sportsrapport
BREAKING: Woj has been suspended by ESPN https://outkick.com/woj-suspended-by-espn/
7:53 PM · Jul 11, 2020

The New York Post's Andrew Marchand reported that the suspension is without pay, though the length of the discipline is not yet known. ESPN declined to comment to Marchand on the situation.

Andrew Marchand
@AndrewMarchand
NEWS: Woj has been suspended without  by ESPN, The Post has learned.

@sportsrapport first on suspension. The without pay part is new information.
8:19 PM · Jul 11, 2020

The suspension comes 36 hours after Missouri Sen. Josh Hawley posted a screenshot of an vulgar email Wojnarowski sent to him in response to a newsletter Hawley's office sent in which he blasts the NBA for how it handled the China situation.

A few hours later, Woj issued a statement and hasn't tweeted since.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
11:06 AM · Jul 10, 2020

Woj's suspension comes just as the NBA's bubble in Orlando is starting to ramp up. He is arguably one of the NBA's biggest news breakers, so depending on how long the suspension is, fans could miss out on big breaking news.

As you can imagine, NBA Twitter is not thrilled with the news that Woj will be suspended, so a #FreeWoj hashtag has started on the social media platform.

Here are a few of the best reactions:

john
@iam_johnw
If lebron Tweets out “ #FreeWoj “ from the bubble right now and woj has his job back tomorrow morning that should count as a 4th ring for lebron Lmao

Complex Sports
@ComplexSports
Woj has been suspended by ESPN for his “f*ck you” email to Missouri senator Josh Hawley.

More: http://bit.ly/2W4IHlq

Top Ball Coverage
@TopBallCoverage
I won’t believe this unless Woj tweets this

#FreeWoj 😭

Warriors rookie Eric Paschall posted about Woj on his Instagram Story and a few other NBA players even tweeted from the bubble in Orlando.

Ali Thanawalla
@Ali_Thanawalla
Eric Paschall is part of the #FreeWoj movement.

(Via Eric Paschall's IG)
Adrian Wojnarowski suspended by ESPN, sparking #FreeWoj push EcsoIO5UEAAZC7C?format=jpg

Lou Williams
@TeamLou23
Aye #Freewoj man 😂😂
8:25 PM · Jul 11, 2020

Enes Kanter
@EnesKanter
#NBATwitter finding out @espn suspended Woj  #FreeWoj

Anthony Tolliver
@ATolliver44
#freeWoj
9:07 PM · Jul 11, 2020

Isaiah Thomas
@isaiahthomas
💯

Lou Williams
@TeamLou23
Aye #Freewoj man 😂😂
9:10 PM · Jul 11, 2020

Wojnarowski has been with ESPN since July 1, 2017.

bob
MY NOTE:  For those who do not know this, two days ago Senator Hawley of Missouri attacked the NBA for not allowing NBA players to put a social media message on the backs of their jerseys regarding China's treatment of Hong Kong.  Considering how few Chinese-Americans there are in the NBA I'm not sure what makes Sen. Hawley think they would choose to wear such a statement on the backs of their jerseys rather than one that addresses issues they perceive here in this country but...Anyway, Woj responded to the Senator's statement by tweeting "flip you", and that's what got him suspended without pay.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Adrian Wojnarowski suspended by ESPN, sparking #FreeWoj push Empty Re: Adrian Wojnarowski suspended by ESPN, sparking #FreeWoj push

Post by dboss Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:51 pm

Bob thanks for adding some context to the situation.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Adrian Wojnarowski suspended by ESPN, sparking #FreeWoj push Empty Re: Adrian Wojnarowski suspended by ESPN, sparking #FreeWoj push

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:54 pm

dboss wrote:Bob thanks for adding some context to the situation.  

dboss,

You're welcome. And, for the record, I did not write, nor did Woj tweet, "flip you". That is this site doing auto-political correctness. What Woj tweeted was "F--k you", except he used letters and not dashes.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:15 pm

bobheckler wrote:
dboss wrote:Bob thanks for adding some context to the situation.  

dboss,

You're welcome.  And, for the record, I did not write, nor did Woj tweet, "flip you".  That is this site doing auto-political correctness.  What Woj tweeted was "F--k you", except he used letters and not dashes.

bob

Yeah I figured he went full blown "F" bomb.  I think that next time  he will not hit the Send Button.  Write the email and then delete without sending cherry
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:57 pm

This is probably a temporary CYA move for ESPN.  Woj will be back soon.  They HAD to do something!   Rolling Eyes

This was more than just about China:

On Friday, Hawley sent a letter to NBA commissioner Adam Silver asking why the NBA won’t allow phrases like “Support Our Troops” and “Back the Blue” on their jerseys in 2020. Hawley also questioned the league’s relationship with China.

https://sports.yahoo.com/esp-ns-adrian-wojnarowski-apologizes-for-sending-profane-email-to-missouri-senator-184117968.html

This is another thread than can go down the political rabbit-hole of death.   Lord knows that I have my opinions in regards to the NBA and Hong Kong/China, but it's probably best to keep them to myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:40 pm

gyso wrote:This is probably a temporary CYA move for ESPN.  Woj will be back soon.  They HAD to do something!   Rolling Eyes

This was more than just about China:

On Friday, Hawley sent a letter to NBA commissioner Adam Silver asking why the NBA won’t allow phrases like “Support Our Troops” and “Back the Blue” on their jerseys in 2020. Hawley also questioned the league’s relationship with China.

https://sports.yahoo.com/esp-ns-adrian-wojnarowski-apologizes-for-sending-profane-email-to-missouri-senator-184117968.html

This is another thread than can go down the political rabbit-hole of death.   Lord knows that I have my opinions in regards to the NBA and Hong Kong/China, but it's probably best to keep them to myself.

gyso

Rabbit hole sounds about right. Which is why I pledge not to even glance at it.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:24 pm

Two weeks for Woj.
https://nypost.com/2020/07/12/adrian-wojnarowskis-espn-suspension-over-email-is-two-weeks/

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:43 pm

Hi,
When I heard about AWoj "flipping" the senator I thought: wow, it's not good. Then I decided to apply common sense.
After many years of reading, listening and watching AWoj I couldn't imagine him doing what he did without really, really good reason. Apparently, there was one...

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:53 am

So, according to ESPN it's probably OK to tell the President via tweet the same thing to great applause and commendation, but to tell it to a Senator it results in your suspension....OK. Got it!  (Again, no emoji for sarcasm/exasperation yet!) ESPN has become unbearable and unwatchable like Fox News and CNN.    

I think I just threw up in my mouth.  I know there's a Constitution around here somewhere.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:59 am

Bob, the context you provided on Woj flipping off Senator Hawley is quite incomplete. I suggest you and others read the following transcript of an interview with the Senator by Hugh Hewitt.

https://www.hughhewitt.com/senator-josh-hawley-on-woj-the-nbas-page-six-gossip-columnist-and-espn-and-the-ccp/?highlight=Senator%20Hawley

I do not want to provoke a big back and forth discussion on this issue, but I do want members of this board to inform themselves more fully on this issue which is my purpose for providing this link.

On a personal note, I have studied and practiced traditional Chinese Medicine since 1970. My entire professional life has been involved with and guided by Chinese people, whom I love. However, I have serious issues with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP)- which - by the way - in 1993 officially recognized me for outstanding contributions to the field of traditional Chinese medicine and in 2000 invited me to Bejing to treat General Huang Chuan Gui Jian Le, at the time the most famous General in the entire Army of the People's Republic of China.

The CCP is responsible for much of the spread of Covid-19 throughout the world. Had the CCP acted responsibly, the spread of the virus would have been greatly curtailed, but my beef with the CCP is even more personal. In 2000, while in Beijing, I met and started a romantic relationship with an extraordinary woman, Dr. Buzaynap Haxim, a doctor of traditional Uyghur medicine and Ph.D. geneticist. She told me horrific stories of what was being done to her Uyghur people back then, BEFORE the real repression started. Thereafter, she and over a million Uyghur's were rounded up and placed in slave labor concentration camps and have been held incommunicado for the past 18 years!!!! None of my many attempts to reconnect with her have been successful, and I have been told by international Uyghur rights agencies that my very attempts to communicate with her have probably resulted in her being repressed even more, since the CCP wants to severely limit communication from any Uyghurs who have any contacts in the outside world.

From my deeply studied perspective, the CCP is a criminal organization severely limiting the rights of millions of minority peoples in China as well as Han Chinese. It is akin to the Nazi Party of Germany in the 20's, 30's, and 40's. The NBA's relationship with CCP controlled China, though extremely profitable, exposes the NBA to questions about its own value structure. Senator Hawley asks important questions about the nature of that relationship which all NBA fans should consider, especially those of us who are concerned about social justice.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:07 am

Worcester

The US and China lay on the same bed stuffed with $$$$$$$$

The NBA is a corporation with a global footprint just like so many other American Corporations that have financial ties with China.

China OWNS $1.1 trillion in US dept.  They are tied at the hip.

It is hypocritical to judge the NBA in their dealing with China and avoid a much bigger picture.  I found the article to be a spin job permeated with political  skulduggery.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:11 am

You are entitled to your perspective dboss, and i agree with you that there is a much bigger picture to look at, one which I do not want to avoid, but this discussion was about Hawley, Woj, the NBA, and China, so I kept my comments to that sphere (Oh, a pun on bball?).
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:13 pm

Lebron and Anthony Davis are choosing not to put one of the league's allowed 29 "Social Justice Statements" on the back of their jerseys.

Yes, there was more to the Senator's statement than Bob described in his comments in bold.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by JerzeyCfan Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:51 am

Good morning worcester,

I very much appreciate your insight! I am hoping it is time for someone to announce "let's play basketball" and give my mind a little rest!

Thank you again, Bill
JerzeyCfan
JerzeyCfan

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:47 am

jerzeyCfan,

+1

COVID-19 has created a lot of time on people's hands. We all begin to think the world really wants to hear what we have to say while we believe what we have to say is most important, much more important than what anyone else has to say. I'm guilty as charged during this stretch. NBA, though, is probably the most guilty at this point.

tjmakz,

I like what LeBron and AD are doing. And this agrees with JerzeyCfan's comment...Let's play basketball. Everything else will take care of itself.
This is our job. Let's get back to work finally.

db

dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:28 pm

Sometimes FU is the only appropriate response. Morey,IMO, was right to question the NBA scheduling games in China while Hong Kong was fighting for freedom,and Lebron's response, at the time, verged on the ridiculous. If you are going to characterize yourself as freedom fighter here, you should stand up for freedom everywhere. MLK set that example re Viet Nam war. I like Woj and consider Hawley a d#ck. Didn't spell out the whole word because I don't want to be suspended. I'll leave it here because I have probably said too much already. Well, one more thing, giving grown men a choice of 12 slogans to put on their jerseys is insulting. Stick with the names and do away with the BS.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:41 am

jrleftfoot wrote: Well, one  more  thing, giving grown men a choice of 12 slogans to put on their jerseys is insulting. Stick with the names and  do away with the BS.

Well said Jr

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:36 am

jrleftfoot,

+1

As important as this issue is, when it is compared to what you do for a living, it is on the side and voluntary. Follow the lead of LeBron and AD. The NBA rightly and willingly opened the door by themselves, so they will deal with it and how to platform it.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:01 pm

worcester wrote:Bob, the context you provided on Woj flipping off Senator Hawley is quite incomplete. I suggest you and others read the following transcript of an interview with the Senator by Hugh Hewitt.

https://www.hughhewitt.com/senator-josh-hawley-on-woj-the-nbas-page-six-gossip-columnist-and-espn-and-the-ccp/?highlight=Senator%20Hawley

I do not want to provoke a big back and forth discussion on this issue, but I do want members of this board to inform themselves more fully on this issue which is my purpose for providing this link.

On a personal note, I have studied and practiced traditional Chinese Medicine since 1970. My entire professional life has been involved with and guided by Chinese people, whom I love. However, I have serious issues with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP)- which - by the way - in 1993 officially recognized me for outstanding contributions to the field of traditional Chinese medicine and in 2000 invited me to Bejing to treat General Huang Chuan Gui Jian Le, at the time the most famous General in the entire Army of the People's Republic of China.

The CCP is responsible for much of the spread of Covid-19 throughout the world. Had the CCP acted responsibly, the spread of the virus would have been greatly curtailed, but my beef with the CCP is even more personal. In 2000, while in Beijing, I met and started a romantic relationship with an extraordinary woman, Dr. Buzaynap Haxim, a doctor of traditional Uyghur medicine and Ph.D. geneticist. She told me horrific stories of what was being done to her Uyghur people back then, BEFORE the real repression started. Thereafter, she and over a million Uyghur's were rounded up and placed in slave labor concentration camps and have been held incommunicado for the past 18 years!!!! None of my many attempts to reconnect with her have been successful, and I have been told by international Uyghur rights agencies that my very attempts to communicate with her have probably resulted in her being repressed even more, since the CCP wants to severely limit communication from any Uyghurs who have any contacts in the outside world.

From my deeply studied perspective, the CCP is a criminal organization severely limiting the rights of millions of minority peoples in China as well as Han Chinese. It is akin to the Nazi Party of Germany in the 20's, 30's, and 40's. The NBA's relationship with CCP controlled China, though extremely profitable, exposes the NBA to questions about its own value structure. Senator Hawley asks important questions about the nature of that relationship which all NBA fans should consider, especially those of us who are concerned about social justice.

I’ve heard more than my share of stories of how corrupt the Chinese government is, my family has had first hand experience.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Bad government. Great people.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:32 pm

worcester wrote:Bad government. Great people.

Great food lol

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:40 pm

Omg. I love the food. Dimsum. Fried tofu. Egg drop soup. Lo mein. Broccoli almond fried rice.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:51 pm

General Tsao's chicken.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Lobster over sticky rice, roast pork, Peking duck, crab pork soup dumplings, pork fried dumplings, fried rice, steamed sea bass in ginger sauce, watercress soup, pan fried noodles....I better stop

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:24 pm

Peking duck. Oh yeah.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next