dbrown4
cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Marcus Smart explodes on teammates Empty Marcus Smart explodes on teammates

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:57 pm

I guess I am not the only one totally disgusted, Smart blew up in the locker room. CBS sports, reported.

The Globe writer, Washburn, reported that he was not the only one yelling. I hope it is not too little too late
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smart explodes on teammates Empty Re: Marcus Smart explodes on teammates

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:28 am

We gave up 2 very winnable games, they seemed to play loose and knew exactly where to go, what to do, we were confused. I don’t blame Smart for being pissed, as much as I hate to rip the coach, it’s on the players, but Brad clearly has messed up twice blowing leads late into the last quarter. This is not exactly the Clippers meltdown, our guys didn’t quit and played hard. Clippers were never in the game by the 4th 3 times in a row, we were right there and fought to get the lead back, for whatever reason couldn’t close. Did the players freeze out Brad and take it upon themselves to do it on their own? Can Brad get the team back? We either learn from this or get further unglued? Can the players channel that frustration into a positive unified force, can Brad come up with anything that works and the players believe in...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:02 am

Hadn't thought of that angle, c/o. The old Mutiny on the Bounty card. Sad if that's what it's come to. Those never end well.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:17 am

The team that played harder won. Marcus played hard but the rest of the team had visible lapses on defense (weak side help not there from Tatum, Kemba ball watching so his man gets open, etc.), lack of aggressiveness to match Miami, bad shot selection. They practice all this so the loss is on the players. Or maybe Marcus was throwing furniture because he was mad at Brad for being out coached though I doubt that’s the reason. 3 years ago this same bunch went to game 7 in the ECF against LeBron playing gutsy ball like Miami is doing now. It is on the players.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:41 am

good for Smart!!

I bet he's as tired as I am of seeing Tatum getting out of the away when guys are driving to the hoop.

I've seen too much of that, this series....you 'aint got that new deal yet young man...play some defense and get in front of Bam once in a while...or are you scared of him now?

oh I forgot to add:

Cowens, how would you like to see Bam on the Celtics?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:00 am

On Tatum, he is a star in the making. But you stop being a superstar once you believe it; Russell, Jordan, Bird, Johnson, etc. all competing internally and externally to get better ( he’s no in their class but that’s the point the best are never satisfied). Don’t know what happened to Tatum but that end of first half 27 foot prayer Part II was bad in so many ways. He really looked different this game; hopefully a one game funk after blowing the first one. Really hope Kyrie is not in his ear but his look just wasn’t Celtic. Better to chalk it up to a 22 year old man processing some disappointment.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:09 am

Gary Washburn: The #Celtics will NOT practice tomorrow – via Twitter GwashburnGlobe

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:17 am

The throwing of the arms every time he does not get a call, the jogging back on defense or not getting back at all, taking shots that a prayer shots, not looking for his teammates. This is the sign of someone who has read too many of his press clippings. This is not something that I feel will continue, but someone has to sit him down and make him realize he is not going to get "star" calls while yelling at refs's and looking immature.

This is not to say it was just him, there were alot of errors along the way. Brad tried every lineup possible to see if he could shock them into something, and at time it worked. Your best players were on the floor at the end, and they could not get it done. I really believe it is in their heads, they are not playing like the Celtics we love to watch
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:49 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/reports-marcus-smart-melts-down-screams-cusses-in-locker-room-after-celtics-loss-023354047.html

Reports: Marcus Smart screams, cusses, items thrown in Celtics postgame locker room

Jason Owens
Yahoo Sports

Thu, September 17, 2020, 7:33 PM PDT

The Boston Celtics lost again to the Miami Heat on Thursday, digging an 0-2 hole in the Eastern Conference finals.

Marcus Smart did not respond well.

According to multiple reports, the Celtics guard cussed and screamed in the postgame locker room, noise that was heard from the outside corridor.

Smart: ‘Y’all on that bulls---’

The Boston Globe’s Gary Washburn reports that Smart screamed “y’all on that bulls---.” ESPN’s Malika Andrews reports that the Smart continued to cuss as he exited the locker room.

Marcus Smart explodes on teammates 977137d0-f954-11ea-869f-798d7669736e
Things are not going well for the Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)

Washburn reported that items were thrown and described what he called a “raucous” scene. Andrews described hearing “loud clanks.”

Smart declined to speak with media.

gary washburn
@GwashburnGlobe
Smart wasn’t the only one yelling. There were definitely items thrown and a lot of yelling. #Celtics
6:48 PM · Sep 17, 2020 from Florida, USA

gary washburn
@GwashburnGlobe
Argument is continuing. Locker room still closed. #Celtics
6:51 PM · Sep 17, 2020 from Florida, USA

gary washburn
@GwashburnGlobe
Been outside a bunch of locker rooms in my days. That’s was as raucous as I’ve ever heard. #Celtics
6:54 PM · Sep 17, 2020 from Florida, USA

Washburn then reported that the Celtics won’t practice on Friday.

Celtics address locker room scene

Celtics guard Kemba Walker downplayed the reports in his postgame news conference.

“It was nothing,” Walker said. “It was nothing. I ain’t got much to speak on about it.”

Head coach Brad Stevens also declined to expound.

“Guys were emotional after a hard game — hard loss,” Stevens said, per Andrews.

Jayson Tatum described the locker room scene as “nothing out of the ordinary.”

Simmering stress amid long bubble stay?

The 106-101 loss was the second straight for the Celtics after leading the Heat late in the fourth quarter. Boston rallied from a seven-point deficit to start the final on stanza to take a 95-93 lead with 3:17 remaining. But the Heat turned on the pressure late for a second straight game to outscore the Celtics 13-6 the rest of the way.

On Tuesday, Boston blew a 13-point fourth-quarter lead before losing in overtime, 117-114.

After two-plus months in the bubble and a pair of frustrating, high-stakes losses, things appear to be boiling over behind closed doors. Whatever happened, the Celtics are maintaining a united front outside the locker room.

Enes Kanter showed his support of his teammates on Twitter.

Enes Kanter
@EnesKanter
Too many Bullsh.t rumors out there, this group of guys is one of the best I’ve been around.
No one can split our family up.
Keep fighting & grinding.
7:50 PM · Sep 17, 2020

Jaylen Brown threw his support directly behind Smart.

“Who Marcus is, I love him for it,” Brown told reporters. “We’ve got to be ready to come back, take that same fire and add it to Game 3.”

bob
MY NOTE: God Bless Marcus Smart. He not only wears green, he is green.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:49 am

Wow. Rarely am I so disappointed by a Celtics team. Sure hope Gordon plays. If he doesn't and we go down 0-3, he might as well head home to see his baby being born.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:02 am

worcester wrote:Wow. Rarely am I so disappointed by a Celtics team. Sure hope Gordon plays. If he doesn't and we go down 0-3, he might as well head home to see his baby being born.

Some guys just are just jinxed, he might be that and brittle. He’s lost a month of conditioning, riding a bike and lifting and putting shots up is nothing like the intensity of a playoff game. It’s gonna take more time to get his conditioning and timing back. Wish things were different, but I’m not expecting anything from GH, hope I’m wrong.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:04 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6uBHxCwdek

skip the ad
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:24 am

What happened in the locker has not been disclosed.  We only know that Marcus was yelling.  Sometimes heated arguments between teammates can be the motivating factor that gets things going in the right direction.  Other times it can further alienate teammates from each other by fracturing the trust that they have in each other.

It's a dicey situation and we will just have to see if there is a negative or positive vibe for game 3.

Somewhat off track but still relevant is the issue of leadership on this team.

Under Brad Stevens we do not have a team captain.  Brad believes that everyone should be empowered.  I have always disagreed with that philosophy because it dilutes the power of leadership. Here is an old article.  He has reasons but I question there validity.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/why-dont-celtics-have-team-captains-brad-stevens-has-valid-reason

The team captain is a vital part of any organizational structure.

Brad is the only coach in Celtics history that does not endorse having a team captain.  A team captain is empowered to be an extension of the coach on the floor.  Input from everyone is fine but in the end you will never have a team of leaders.  It just does not work that way.  

Can you imagine any entity functioning without Team Leadership?  (the church, the military, a company, a sports team and even your family)

This is one of the quirky things about Brad Stevens that seems a bit off.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:52 am

bobheckler wrote:

bob
MY NOTE:  God Bless Marcus Smart.  He not only wears green, he is green.

Completely agree with you. Smart is a throwback to what made the Celtics the original NBA dynasty. Smart is the heart and soul of this team.

About the whole shouting match, I'm sure too much will be made of it. I'm happy that one or more Celtics find the situation unacceptable.

Good for whoever threw an absolute fit. We should expect some fire Saturday night.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:26 am

kind of like what went on at my house last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did not go to sleep until 4:00am That is how disturbed I was. I live for these big moments and so far, have been so disappointed.

But.....I won't give up. Neither will they, I am convinced.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:04 pm

Marcus Smart should be NAMED team captain

I will leave it at that.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:13 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:We gave up 2 very winnable games, they seemed to play loose and knew exactly where to go, what to do, we were confused. I don’t blame Smart for being pissed, as much as I hate to rip the coach, it’s on the players, but Brad clearly has messed up twice blowing leads late into the last quarter. This is not exactly the Clippers meltdown, our guys didn’t quit and played hard. Clippers were never in the game by the 4th 3 times in a row, we were right there and fought to get the lead back, for whatever reason couldn’t close. Did the players freeze out Brad and take it upon themselves to do it on their own? Can Brad get the team back? We either learn from this or get further unglued? Can the players channel that frustration into a positive unified force, can Brad come up with anything that works and the players believe in...???

Cautiously optimistic that this turns out for the best. If it goes the other way it could have a lasting effect future forward . I pray not!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:20 pm

dboss wrote:What happened in the locker has not been disclosed.  We only know that Marcus was yelling.  Sometimes heated arguments between teammates can be the motivating factor that gets things going in the right direction.  Other times it can further alienate teammates from each other by fracturing the trust that they have in each other.

It's a dicey situation and we will just have to see if there is a negative or positive vibe for game 3.

Somewhat off track but still relevant is the issue of leadership on this team.

Under Brad Stevens we do not have a team captain.  Brad believes that everyone should be empowered.  I have always disagreed with that philosophy because it dilutes the power of leadership. Here is an old article.  He has reasons but I question there validity.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/why-dont-celtics-have-team-captains-brad-stevens-has-valid-reason

The team captain is a vital part of any organizational structure.

Brad is the only coach in Celtics history that does not endorse having a team captain.  A team captain is empowered to be an extension of the coach on the floor.  Input from everyone is fine but in the end you will never have a team of leaders.  It just does not work that way.  

Can you imagine any entity functioning without Team Leadership?  (the church, the military, a company, a sports team and even your family)

This is one of the quirky things about Brad Stevens that seems a bit off.

Leadership by committee? I’ve yet to to see that work with positive results. It never does.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:51 pm

Ktron, I am with you here. I just cannot imagine them losing game 3. one game at a time. I really felt this loss, I had put so much faith in this team. Remember when they struggled during the year and all of a sudden went on a good run? We will see what happens.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:06 pm

Celtics Rumors: Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart Had 'Heated' Altercation After Game 2

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2909689-celtics-rumors-jaylen-brown-marcus-smart-had-heated-altercation-after-game-2

Boston Celtics teammates Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart reportedly got into a heated argument in the locker room following the team's 106-101 loss to the Miami Heat in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals on Thursday night.

According to Shams Charania of The Athletic and Stadium, sources said Brown and Smart had to be separated by teammates after Smart stormed into the locker room and said other players needed to be held accountable aside from just himself.

Brown reportedly told Smart he needed to cool off and that the Celtics "must stay together and that their actions must come as a team, not individually."

Objects were reportedly thrown, but the situation was diffused before things got physical, and sources indicated Smart and Brown have since smoothed things over.

One source said, "They will move past this and focus on the task."

Smart's emotion likely stemmed from the fact that Boston blew a 13-point halftime lead and now trails 2-0 in the series. The Celtics also blew a 12-point lead entering the fourth quarter of Game 1, calling into question their ability to finish games.

Videos you might like
In Thursday's loss, Smart finished with 14 points on 5-of-13 shooting to go along with four assists, four rebounds and four turnovers. Meanwhile, Brown went 8-of-14 for 21 points with six rebounds, two assists and one turnover.

Brown had a chance to tie the game with just 15 seconds remaining, but he missed a good look from beyond the arc. Miami grabbed the rebound, and Jimmy Butler made two game-clinching free throws.

Smart appeared agitated at times during the game, and a source told Charania he even shouted at his assistant coaches on several occasions.

There is little doubt that the tough and tenacious Smart is one of Boston's vocal and emotional leaders, but that may not have manifested in a positive way in Game 2.

The Celtics have a deep hole to dig out from as they face a 2-0 deficit against a Heat team that is firing on all cylinders. Getting Smart on the same page with his teammates will be of the utmost importance for head coach Brad Stevens prior to Saturday's Game 3.

I am not as wowed as the rest of you by Marcus' "leadership" - he was not exactly on fire himself last night. There is a fine line between passion and injuring yourself punching framed pictures. Brown's handling of the situation seems more like leadership to me.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:08 pm

Celts can definitely win the ECF, but the must simply play better and get GH into the lineup. Saturday will be 5 weeks out for him.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:09 pm

Jaylen is the adult in the room. I have utmost respect for him on every level.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:01 pm

GH better be ready. But I think we should not put too much on him. It takes some time to get in PLAYOFF basketball shape. If he can give us 15-20 minutes right out of the gate it could be a huge help.

The locker room incident is really nothing new. All NBA teams go through it. Let's hope that some of the fire will still be ignited on Saturday.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:19 pm

dboss wrote:GH better be ready.  But I think we should not put too much on him.  It takes some time to get in PLAYOFF basketball shape.  If he can give us 15-20 minutes right out of the gate it could be a huge help.

The locker room incident is really nothing new.  All NBA teams go through it.  Let's hope that some of the fire will still be ignited on Saturday.  

GH is a jinxed player, root for him, love his game, but we can’t rely on him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:38 pm

Smart, Brown, Tatum and Walker met for a meeting after everything took place. They ironed out their issues and are looking forward to game 3. Fingers crossed that it works to their advantage
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next