kdp59
cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
dboss
10 posters

Go down

Danny Speaks Empty Danny Speaks

Post by dboss Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:38 pm

After a 112-109 loss in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Finals, the Celtics — trailing the Heat 3-1 in the series — are on the brink of playoff elimination.

It was a mistake-filled performance from Boston on Wednesday, with 19 turnovers to Miami’s eight. It was also a night in which Heat rookie Tyler Herro torched the Celtics defense for a career high 37 points.

Asked if he’s disappointed with Celtics coach Brad Stevens for the team’s lackluster display, president of basketball operations Danny Ainge had a direct answer.

“Not even a little bit,” Ainge responded during an interview with 98.5 The Sports Hub’s “Toucher & Rich” on Thursday. “Last night, we had so many good stretches in the course of the game, you can see that our players are prepared. It’s just being able to sustain it. The turnovers, there were so many of them that were just unforced turnovers. And so that is frustrating. I’ve always been a person that has taken blame as a player.

“I’ve coached in the NBA and understand how hard coaching is,” Ainge continued. “I’ve sat on the bench watching one of my players shoot free throws, and thinking, ‘If he makes these free throws I’m a great coach and if he misses I’m a terrible coach,’ and it’s just obviously not the way. That’s just the way that we look at it sometimes. If we had squeaked out a win last night we don’t question anything, but when you lose by three points you question everything.”

Stevens has been the Celtics’ coach since 2013, when he was brought in to replace Doc Rivers and help lead the team’s rebuilding effort.

Ainge, who hired Stevens, remains an adamant supporter of the former Butler coach.
“I know Brad is the first one to take responsibility and accountability for us not playing well,” said Ainge. “He got the least amount of sleep as anybody last night.”

Looking for a possible explanation for the Celtics’ turnover issues, Ainge had two theories.
“I think that the zone defense has been challenging for us at times,” Ainge said of Miami’s defensive scheme. “I think we’ve gotten a lot of great shots, we [haven’t] been able to knock them down. We had, in the first half last night, so many wide open shots that we normally make. I don’t know if our guys are at the stage of their career where they can continue to play with the same force defensively, and focus when things aren’t going their way. A lot of that is just maturity. A lot of that is we just have 22 and 23 [year-old players], and I’m not making excuses for age, because our young guys have been through a lot, and had some shining, brilliant moments.”

Still, Ainge — who has been in his role with the Celtics since 2003 — stood by his team, even amid his frustration.

“I don’t question my coach, I don’t question my players,” Ainge affirmed. “I just look at what they’re doing and last night was one of those games where I was very frustrated, in that I didn’t think anything Miami was doing was causing us to make the plays that we made. They were unforced errors.”

Summarizing the team’s performance in the game overall, Ainge admitted uncertainty as to why Boston was unable to capitalize on the Game 3 win.

“Last night was a rough one,” said Ainge. “I just didn’t feel like we had it from the beginning. We had a good spurt to take the lead late in the game, but we were throwing the ball all over the place. We didn’t have the same confidence and swag we had in Game 3 and it’s hard to know why. You have to give your opponent credit – oftentimes we think oh you just didn’t come out ready to play or didn’t play hard enough, but a lot of times the opponent has something to with that.”

“Tyler Herro, looked like he was just shooting in the gym by himself for a while,” Ainge added of Herro, the 13th overall pick in the 2019 draft.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Danny Speaks Empty Re: Danny Speaks

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:29 pm

dboss wrote: You have to give your opponent credit – oftentimes we think oh you just didn’t come out ready to play or didn’t play hard enough, but a lot of times the opponent has something to with that.”

I like how Ainge summarizes this.

We often over-analyze a game, yet the reasons for the outcome are simple. Like last night.

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:54 pm

NYCelt wrote:
dboss wrote: You have to give your opponent credit – oftentimes we think oh you just didn’t come out ready to play or didn’t play hard enough, but a lot of times the opponent has something to with that.”

We often over-analyze a game, yet the reasons for the outcome are simple. Like last night.

Yeah I get it, if he hits the FT’s the coach is a genius, if he misses, he’s a bum.

But there are still many variables and subtle and obvious factors that dictate the pace, flow and outcome of the game and in many of those we were lacking effective winning strategy. I like the way Danny stands up for his coach and players, but if we lose this series, the coach with the better more creative strategies made a huge difference, let’s not kid ourselves....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:47 am

maybe we need some changes on the coaching staff?

I think that is much more likely.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:47 am

Hi,
Danny's full of shit. We all can see that there's something wrong. OTOH, he can't and will not say or do differently. He's throwing his full support for coach and players. Especially at such critical moment.
Also, I'm pretty sure that he knows or, at least has a good idea what is wrong.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:21 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

Yeah I get it, if he hits the FT’s the coach is a genius, if he misses, he’s a bum.

But there are still many variables and subtle and obvious factors that dictate the pace, flow and outcome of the game and in many of those we were lacking effective winning strategy. I like the way Danny stands up for his coach and players, but if we lose this series, the coach with the better more creative strategies made a huge difference, let’s not kid ourselves....

Cow,

Spo has 12 years of experience and 2 NBA titles. In those 12 years he has been to the NBA Finals (not the Conference Finals, the Finals) 4X. Sometimes "been there, done that" actually means something.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:38 am

Or maybe, at this point in time, Miami is simply the better team with a more NBA experienced coach.

I'm still going the over-analysis leads to paralysis route. Boston may just be a young and developing team, two or three players and a season or two away from being able to easily down teams like Milwaukee, Toronto and Miami on their way to a finals berth.

It is possible the fix is another season or so for Tatum and Brown's games to mature, another low-post presence to board and score, depth off the bench in playmaking and shooting and a couple of more playoff games coached.

Looks like the team is still a work in progress to me. One very close to reaching its potential.

Where the heck is MrKleen to say... "patience?"

EDIT; I didn't see the post from BobH, above, before I sent this one. He probably said it better.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:52 am

Bob with all the talent Miami had it was harder to gauge how good a coach Spolstra was with those teams, but seeing all the different strategies he has developed/used, he’s really bringing out the best in that team. Our team has been exposed at being unprepared and just making dumb bad plays at crucial times....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:08 am

OFF TOPIC

Perk ripping Brad Stevens right now on First Take

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:17 am

Wow Perk just said Spolstra is coaching circles around Brad, who came up with NOTHING after the 4 day layoff. Spolstra added new wrinkles in his zone, benched KO and Nunn, went smaller and Brad is clueless how to attack a zone, has us using iso ball vs a zone playing into the strength of the zone, that all we do is iso ball, his turn, then your turn....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:20 am

Perk has a good bs meter.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:45 pm

Yeah, have to agree with you worcester. Jury is still out on Perk. He does like to run his mouth. It's difficult for us as fans to see past Celtic's players become "objective" analysts.

Paul Pierce has the same problem. Nobody believes him when he tilts the Celtic's way in any of his analysis. He gets the old "Well of course you feel/think that way!! You played for them and won a championship with them" look.

Perk probably goes to the other extreme but its so far the other way it's just as impossible to believe any word that comes out of his mouth. Nothing you can do about it.

But you know what? Both Paul and Perk chose those jobs. They can live with their decisions. More power to them.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:33 pm

Perk is saying the things that will help him get a job on ESPN, I have watched him evolve while doing Celtic games. He is using the "Celtic" mantra to get himself a better job. Screw Perk, I am sick of him.

There , I said it. Now onto tonight, win lose or draw, I will be in the same seat waiting for the next game, hopefully not for the next season. That is a topic for another time.

See you on the flip side guys
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:37 pm

As a fellow Celtic addict, I too will be watching the Celts to infinity and beyond.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:38 pm

Interesting comments here from everyone.

Ultimately the coach is responsible for how his team plays.  The buck stops there.

The Celtics went down 2 zip in this series because they were not prepared to play against the Heat zone defenses.  This begins with coach Stevens.  It was his job to prepare them.  I had a strong feeling this would happen but I had hoped the Toronto series would have put a spotlight on the need for Boston to be prepared to function against the Heat who play zone as much as any NBA team.  

Every year you expect young players to show improvement.  They come back after the summer after working on their games and sometimes we see a new wrinkle in their games.  Brad Steven comes back year after year with the same stuff.  I do not see where he is getting better at coaching.  He at times seems incapable of change.

I find it interesting after watching rookie Tyler Herro drop a career high against the Celtics, that there is precedent for a guy going off on a Brad Stevens coached team.

Jamal Murray  48 points
Devon booker  70 points
Caris Levert      51 points
Tyler Herro       37  points

This is no coincidence.  Brad Stevens is a nincompoop.  In year 7 he still has not figured out how to take away the hot hand.  

Brad is probably one of the nicest guys coaching but I would prefer that he was an asshole like Bill Belichick.  The Celtics are a mentally soft team because their coach is mentally soft.  Players reflect their coach.

The two issues I have with Brad are (1) his inability to hold his teams accountable and (2) His coaching philosophy on both offense and defense.  He seems to lack game management decision making skills as it relates to utilizing his rotations, clock management and in-game adjustments.  These are some elements of his job that he does not do well and i have seen little to no improvement from him.

I agree with Sinous.  Danny Ainge is full of it.  Do you think Pat Riley is just a figurehead for the Heat?  Do you think he has conversations with his coach about how his team is playing?  Of course he does.  The errors that I see are not even subtle.  Stevens is missing in action.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:11 pm

I have to agree with you too, Dboss. Danny is full of crap when he doesn't acknowledge Brad's shortcomings and responsibility in the losses - however, he should be doing so privately to Brad and Wyc, not to the media. Perhaps he is. Pat Reilly certainly has Spo's ear. Count on that. Reilly is tough as nails, and so is Spo. Brad is soft and except for the Smart and Wanny, to my eye so are the Celts. Yes, even Jaylen, whom I respect so much. Daniel is not soft, but he's playing to the max of his abilities. Gordon has to be tough to bounce back from the horrific injury he had, but he doesn't exhibit the Larry Bird fire and indomitable will I'd like to see. I hope some of that flares out of his nostrils tonight.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:36 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/gameleaders/_/sort/points/page/4

100 40 point or more games this year...if that is the metric, then ALL NBA coaches need to be fired IMMEDIATELY!!

our players are not playing well enough might be hard to accept, especially fi we thought Miami was a bunch of not able NBA players.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:52 pm

kdp59 wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/gameleaders/_/sort/points/page/4

100 40 point or more games this year...if that is the metric, then ALL NBA coaches need to be fired IMMEDIATELY!!

our players are not playing well enough might be hard to accept, especially fi we thought Miami was a bunch of not able NBA players.

There is no question that the players are not playing well enough. But you are missing the point that I was making. I am talking about career nights for a player not how many players scored 40 points. And no one said anything about being fired. The observation I presented is valid. Does Brad Stevens know how to coach his team when faced with an opponent player that is killing us?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:53 pm

Dboss I agree with everything you said and your comments were agreeing with Perks comments in general. I have no problem with what Perk said

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:44 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Dboss I agree with everything you said and your comments were agreeing with Perks comments in general. I have no problem with what Perk said

I am a Celtics fan and I am upset that this team may be going fishing after tonight. It has been 12 years since #17 was won. The prospect of going up against our arch rival is fading. It is so difficult to get to the top and opportunities to do so are often limited by circumstances sometimes beyond a team's control. But the Celtics control their own destiny in this series.

So here we are faced with the probability that the Miami Heat are a better team than the Boston Celtics. On paper these two teams are pretty evenly matched. What has separated these teams has been the quality of coaching. The biggest problem is that we do not have a coaching edge in this series. Thus the criticism of Brad Stevens has been elevated. Win games 5, 6 and 7 and that criticism goes away. But just coach the team to a game 5 win for now. Impact the game. Give your team a chance to keep playing.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:16 pm

As i lifelong broadcaster i of course watch and listen to Perk and others in a a lot of ways that most people wouldn’t. Perk is smart. Knows the game and would probably make a damn good coach.
As a broadcaster, he’s playing the game that he’s been told will get him the furthest. Be controversial. Say things that will shock or perhaps piss people off. Same with Pierce. The problem with that is that its Schtick and it has a short shelf life. Guys like Dan Patrick last forever and test well. Guys like Stephen A, Cowhert, Felger Barkley and Shaquille are well paid clowns. Yeah they hang around a long time. But what are they really known for in the end? Those NCAA Tournament ads every year with Samuel L, Spike Lee and Charles should be a hint and a half for Barkley as to what people really think of him but $ obviously means more to him.
Perk needs a good media coach. Perk needs to sharpen his vocabulary and tone down the bullshit and he’d become a star. Jury’s still out on Paul who I’m rooting for.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:24 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Perk is saying the things that will help him get a job on ESPN, I have watched him evolve while doing Celtic games. He is using the "Celtic" mantra to get himself a better job. Screw Perk, I am sick of him.  

There , I said it.   Now onto tonight, win lose or draw, I will be in the same seat waiting for the next game, hopefully not for the next season.  That is a topic for another time.

See you on the flip side guys
I believe Perk was doing ESPN before he started doing the C’s games. Either way you’re right. He needs to cut the shenanigans.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:43 pm

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Dboss I agree with everything you said and your comments were agreeing with Perks comments in general. I have no problem with what Perk said

I am a Celtics fan and I am upset that this team may be going fishing after tonight.  It has been 12 years since #17 was won.  The prospect of going up against our arch rival is fading.  It is so difficult to get to the top and opportunities to do so are often limited by circumstances sometimes beyond a team's control.  But the Celtics control their own destiny in this series.

So here we are faced with the probability that the Miami Heat are a better team than the Boston Celtics.  On paper these two teams are pretty evenly matched.  What has separated these teams has been the quality of coaching.  The biggest problem is that we do not have a coaching edge in this series.  Thus the criticism of Brad Stevens has been elevated.  Win games 5, 6 and 7 and that criticism goes away.  But just coach the team to a game 5 win for now.  Impact the game.  Give your team a chance to keep playing.  

All valid points, would be impossible to counter any of those points, we sure don’t have a coaching advantage is as accurate any statement. While some are just really bad plays that might not be the coaches fault. There sure is a lot of talented players playing tight or off balance or off kilter to effect too many plays the wrong way, and too many of those bad plays, mistakes whatever only effect the outcome of the game inevitably in the wrong way, outcome. So yeah Brad has to take the blame, we’re down 3-1, had leads big enough and players made enough plays that we lead a lot during this series too and were still in position to win every game, but we know what happened in watch game. In each game we collapsed enough to lose FACT.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down