NYCelt
kdp59
dbrown4
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Report: Rajon Rondo opting out of Lakers contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Report: Rajon Rondo opting out of Lakers contract

Post by NYCelt Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:49 pm

Rajon Rondo... Gifted and Mercurial are the best descriptions.

gift·ed
/ˈɡiftəd/

adjective

having exceptional talent or natural ability.
"a gifted amateur musician"

mer·cu·ri·al
/ˌmərˈkyo͝orēəl/

adjective

(of a person) subject to sudden or unpredictable changes of mood or mind.
"his mercurial temperament"

Several articles have recently appeared discussing his Hall of Fame possible credentials. Let's not debate those here, I bring it up just to point out the talent level many perceive he has.

Rondo appears physically younger than his age, and still has point guard skills, on the offensive end, that few in the NBA have ever displayed. "Playoff Rondo" is also, undeniably, a real thing. Would he be an ideal fit for the Celtics? In order to take the offense to a level to make a serious run in next year's playoffs, I have no doubt yes. Absolutely yes. But how about Defense and Personality? Rondo can play defense and at times has played a level of defense that could make him All-NBA. That is if he would play it on more than rare occasion. Personality is another thing. See the definition of Mercurial, above. There would be a risk that Rondo has an effect on the solid team chemistry the club currently carries. Not necessarily a good effect. I wouldn't worry about how he and Stevens would hit it off. I think Brad is a little more self-assured than he's given credit for, a given player's attitude isn't going to take him off task. Rondo is also smart enough to know he goes to the bench if he bucks the system enough.

So, of the factors that count most, offense, defense, team-centered mindset, I only see one box checked with a resounding yes.

I think this is one to pass on.

Sorry to say, because Rondo is one of my favorite Celtics ever. On a team with a rich history of point guards, I make him top two and we all know who the other one is.

Still... no.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Report: Rajon Rondo opting out of Lakers contract - Page 2 Empty Re: Report: Rajon Rondo opting out of Lakers contract

Post by atcross Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:32 pm

I've been following RR's career since he left the Cs. I get a Google news feed on him once or twice a day. It amazes me how the image of him as an uncoachable, locker room malcontent persists. Rondo had problems with Allen and Carlisle. Carlisle is a known micro manager and openly said he didn't want Rondo. Not exactly the welcome mat. I watched a few of the Mavs games with RR and Carlisle had him run to the corner and wait to take a three. WTF? It was obvious that Carlisle was intent on being the floor general on that team. At Sacto it was just a bad team and organization. But Cousins was a huge fan of RR and still is. And RR led the league in assists that year. In Chicago it was all about Hoiberg and management wanting to develop the kids. At the end of the season it dawned on them that they weren't going to win that way so they let RR loose and we know what happened then. In NO he led them beyond expectations and became a good friend of AD. All of the younger players at Sacto, Chicago, NO, and LA have raved about his leadership. And obviously Vogel, LBJ, and AD are very fond of him. I suspect LA will find a way to keep him. But if we were to get him I would be very disappointed in Brad if he turned up his nose.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:14 pm

Rondo deserves more money.
I think the Lakers will reward him with a bigger contract, even if it means using half of their mid-level exception money.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:27 pm

Hi,
I already noted my opinion about RR in other thread. But I bet that no other Celtics player generated so much polarization and so many posts. Remember BDC?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:23 am

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Rondo is a hot head, it’s good and bad, the team needs a Rondo. Brad isn’t one of these coaches like Bellichek, that can adapt a system to a fit a players strength. He’s the opposite.

Cow,

I don't understand your last statement.  One of Brad's strengths is that he improves players.  IT, Turner, Rozier, it's quite a list when you add them up and they all did well because Brad figured out how to get the most out of them.

Bob

Semi, KO, does anyone have any confidence he can develop or get more or anything out of the Williams brothers? Rozier regressed a lot his last year here too. Have you ever seen a worse playoff team with a lead in the 4th quarter than us this year? I wish he knew how to come up with a plan/strategy to use players to their strengths. As noted he was terrible with Jaylen last year and even this year and playoffs could have posted up Jaylen a lot more, like teams were doing to Kemba over and over, but we never exploited opponents weak defenders like that.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:53 am

Jaylen is a 6’7” athletic skilled stud, we know that, many times he had smaller players defending him, how come that couldn’t be exploited more. I’m not talking one possession, many more, like the way opponents were attacking Kemba over and over....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:20 pm

dboss wrote:I predict the Lakers will keep him.  I think a 2 year deal for around $12 million would get his signature.

Brad does not want Rondo on this team because their basketball philosophies are in conflict with one another.  The difference between Rajon and Brad, one is a player/coach and the other is just a coach.  One has proven credentials at the highest level and the other one is still trying to figure it out.

We must understand that Rondo did not want to be traded to the Mavs.  He was told this is your team now and poker face Danny traded him anyways.

I (And Perk) think Rondo can get close to 8-10 mil next year. I would love to see Rondo back here even if he is wreaking with the appalling stench of Laker nation seeping through his pores. Always been one of my faves.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:53 pm

Ktron and Gyso, how can we sign anyone for more than $6M or so MLE given our salary cap issues?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:08 pm

Nothing worked out for anybody in Sacramento. I don't consider that a good comp. The veteran team vs. young team is hogwash too. Rondo needs to be on a GOOD team, so he has guys to feed. Tell me JT and JB wouldn't benefit from him feeding them the ball. Hes also a master of the PNR lob pass. Hello RWIII, Daniel Theis , Kanter , or whoever the hell is playing center.. Plus, he's learned to shoot a little bit along the way. I'd sign him in a second. The question would be more a matter of whether we coould afford him. Much as I love IT, I think Ronda is a better fit. I kinda like the idea of drafting and stashing the 19year old who plays for Barcelona as a draft and stash future PG.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:11 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:Nothing worked out for anybody in Sacramento. I don't consider that a good comp. The veteran team vs. young team is hogwash too. Rondo needs to be on a GOOD team, so he has guys to feed. Tell me JT and JB wouldn't benefit from him feeding them the ball. Hes also a master of the PNR lob pass. Hello RWIII, Daniel Theis , Kanter , or whoever the hell is playing center.. Plus, he's learned to shoot a little bit along the way. I'd sign him in a second. The question would be more a matter of whether we coould afford him. Much as I love IT, I think Ronda is a better fit. I kinda like the idea of drafting and stashing the 19year old who plays for Barcelona as a draft and stash future PG.

Well I think it's safe to say most players benefit from a good team, unless it's so good they don't get PT. ;-) But I suspect it's no coincidence that some of the guys who are RR best buddies are centers. As I think Shaq said, with Rondo you get to your spot, hold up your hands, catch the ball, and put it in the basket.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:04 pm

So funny ATCROSS, and what Shaq says is so true.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:55 am

atcross wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:Nothing worked out for anybody in Sacramento. I don't consider that a good comp. The veteran team vs. young team is hogwash too. Rondo needs to be on a GOOD team, so he has guys to feed. Tell me JT and JB wouldn't benefit from him feeding them the ball. Hes also a master of the PNR lob pass. Hello RWIII, Daniel Theis , Kanter , or whoever the hell is playing center.. Plus, he's learned to shoot a little bit along the way. I'd sign him in a second. The question would be more a matter of whether we coould afford him. Much as I love IT, I think Ronda is a better fit. I kinda like the idea of drafting and stashing the 19year old who plays for Barcelona as a draft and stash future PG.

Well I think it's safe to say most players benefit from a good team, unless it's so good they don't get PT. ;-) But I suspect it's no coincidence that some of the guys who are RR best buddies are centers. As I think Shaq said, with Rondo you get to your spot, hold up your hands, catch the ball, and put it in the basket.
                                                                                                                                                               Basketball Basketball cheers
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:43 am

This is an interesting article about what free agents might do.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-player-option-predictions-nine-players-who-might-opt-out-despite-a-depressed-free-agent-market/

I was not aware that LA can offer Rondo almost $10m this season.
LA will probably be fine giving him and KCP raises.

Rondo is a mystery. In cap terms, he's a fairly rare case. Despite making the minimum last season, the Lakers can pay him almost $10 million next season using Early Bird Rights because he originally signed with them during the 2018 offseason. The question is how willing they are to touch that number, and how much Rondo cares about money at all at this stage in his career. In fairness, he's largely been underpaid.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:21 pm

If LeBron says he wants Rondo on the Lakers, guess what happens?

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:44 pm

not me, stay out there Rondo. How many of you here used to scream and yell, as Rondo pounded the air out of the ball, waited until there were 5 or 6 seconds left and then passed to whoever he wanted and put them in the position of forcing up a shot. He may have been good in LA, I don't want him back here. Goes against alot of you but.....just my opinion

There was a reason, besides $$$, that Danny traded him. He wore out his welcome in Dallas quickly, and got sent home. How many more teams has he been on?? It worked for him out there in LA, so why leave???? He is always searching for something.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:20 pm

LeBron is calling this shot, as you said Gyso. No need for any of us to hyperventilate about it now.

Yesterday Justin Termini was on NBA radio interviewing Bob Ryan and asked him who deserves to be in the HOF more, Mo Cheeks or Rondo? Bob, who is my favorite Celtics analyst of all, blew up on that one. Maurice Cheeks hands down. Bob thought him to be the perfect mixture of great offense, great defense, Great facilitating. The ultimate team guy with NO drama. Zero. Nada. Rondo, whom Bob loved for a while as a Celtic, blew his chances for ever getting into the HOF for reasons Rosalie states and his temperment, , the exact opposite of Mo's.

I still would like to see Rajon on the Celts, hoping probably unrealistically that he would be a reformed, great teammate who could assist Brad in making this a championship team. However, LA and LeBron can give Rajon a fatter contract than anyone. Let's see how much Rondo has curried LeBron's favor. I bet a lot.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:52 pm

I agree with Bob Ryan Mo Cheeks was one classy player, even though he played for Philly!!! Totally agree
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:26 pm

I heard that debate on sports radio ESPN, Rondo has led league in assists 4 times I believe and been all defensive first team 3 times, all feats Cheeks has never done once. Rondo has also been on 2 championship teams now, compared to one for Cheeks. I think Cheeks was a great 2 way point and have no problem with him being in HoF, Rondo cemented his Fame credentials IMHO on this championship playoff run, he made the game so much easier for Lebron and AD. When Lebron and Rondo were on floor together they just picked the defense apart, was almost unfair how good they were together.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:18 pm

Rondo is 6th all-time in playoffs assists.  Larry Bird is 7th..

HOF numbers no doubt.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:26 am

I assumed that the Lakers would do whatever it took to bring back Rondo. But there are rumors they will try to get CP3 from the Thunder. James and Paul are good friends. If they bring in Paul that would make it difficult to pay Rondo much. And more important: Rondo and Paul hate each other. Rondo back to LA may not be the slam dunk I assumed.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:57 am

CP3 has a $40M salary. How could LAL swing that?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:06 pm

worcester wrote:CP3 has a $40M salary. How could LAL swing that?

https://hoopshype.com/2020/10/18/chris-paul-lakers-trade-rumors-how-it-can-happen/

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:28 pm

Is that not a lot to bank on a great player who is too often injured and unavailable come playoff time? This year was the exception to the rule for CP.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:28 pm

Is that not a lot to bank on a great player who is too often injured and unavailable come playoff time? This year was the exception to the rule for CP.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:29 pm

worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next