Which Celtics players are most likely to leave Boston?

5 posters

Go down

Which Celtics players are most likely to leave Boston? Empty Which Celtics players are most likely to leave Boston?

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:52 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/2020-nba-offseason-which-celtics-players-are-most-likely-leave-boston

2020 NBA offseason: Which Celtics players are most likely to leave Boston?

MY NOTE:  This list is 1-15, with #1 being the MOST likely to leave.

The Boston Celtics' roster ain't broke, but it still may need some fixing.

The Celtics rode a talented core to Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals. Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown made the leap to stardom, while Kemba Walker, Gordon Hayward, Marcus Smart and Daniel Theis gave Boston a top six that rivaled few in the league.

Brad Stevens' club has yet to get over the NBA Finals hump, though, thanks in part to to untimely injuries, inconsistent play and a lack of bench depth.

So, how can the Celtics take the next step? Should they run it back with mostly the same squad, or should Danny Ainge shake up the roster? We'll tackle that question by ranking every Celtics player from most likely to leave the team this offseason to least likely to go anywhere.

*Note: Tacko Fall and Tremont Waters were on two-way contracts last season and aren't included in these rankings.

BY
DARREN HARTWELL
-
2H AGO
USA TODAY SPORTS

1.  Semi Ojeleye

Solid defense (and combat muscles) can only take Ojeleye so far.

The three-year veteran averaged just 3.4 points on 40.8 percent shooting last season and has yet to make significant strides as a scorer, making it unlikely the Celtics pick up his $1.7 million team option for 2021.

MY NOTE:  Grant is the new Semi.  Their positions overlap significantly and Grant is under contract for 3 more years.

2.  Javonte Green

Green is a human highlight reel, but his contract is non-guaranteed in 2021. The Celtics simply may not have room for the 27-year-old if they look to upgrade their bench via free agency or trade.

MY NOTE:  Damn shame.  He's very efficient on the offensive end and was savvy on the defensive side.  Personally, I'd keep him, especially at his price.

3.  Brad Wanamaker

Wanamaker gave the Celtics solid minutes while Kemba Walker and Marcus Smart dealt with injuries and is the quintessential backup point guard.

He's also entering unrestricted free agency, so Boston will need to compare his price tag to other guards on the market to see if there's value in bringing him back.

MY NOTE:  Another example of "where are you going to get a proven veteran for that money?".  I say keep him, unless he draws SO much interest from the league his price goes way up.  Do we have Early Bird Rights on Wanny?

4.  Enes Kanter

Kanter is a wonderful podcast host and was an occasional spark plug off the bench last season, but his six postseason DNPs could be a sign he doesn't quite fit on this Celtics team.

Even if the 28-year-old big man exercises his $5.05 million player option for this season, the C's may look to deal him and move forward with Daniel Theis, Robert Williams and Grant Williams in the frontcourt.

5.  Vincent Poirier

Poirier will only cost the Celtics $2.6 million in 2021 and showed enough promise in limited minutes for Boston to keep him for frontcourt depth.

If the C's swing any trades, though, Ainge could include the French center to help match salaries.

MY NOTE:  I appreciated Poirier more than most, I think, but his price is right.  Furthermore, he isn't as bad a pnr defender as Kanter, nobody can be, but he's as big and strong.  Besides, he has no trade value except as a filler.

6.  Gordon Hayward

Our Chris Forsberg recently broke down the Hayward dilemma, but here's the crux of it: Hayward likely will opt into the final year of his Celtics contract to earn $34.2 million in 2021, and Boston must decide whether there's more value in keeping him around for another title push or trading him now before he walks for no return next offseason.

Much of that decision will depend on the Celtics' confidence in Hayward's health -- and how much interest the 30-year-old garners in trade talks.

MY NOTE:  If Danny decides to "go big or go home" then Gordon's gone.  An expiring contract, a BIG contract, and we've got significant depth at wing.  I am fully aware of his skills, and we'd miss him, but he is the best talent that we can give up to get elite talent in return.

7.  Romeo Langford

While Langford's rookie campaign was a significant disappointment, he's still a No. 14 overall pick who was hampered by a few nagging injuries. If another team sees upside in the 20-year-old, he could be a potential trade chip for the Celtics.

Then again, Danny Ainge seems to like the kid.

MY NOTE:  Danny likes his mother too, wouldn't stop him from trading her for a 2nd rounder.

8.  Carsen Edwards

The Celtics could benefit from more frequent Edwards scoring explosions off the bench, and he'll only cost them $1.5 million in 2021.

There's a good chance he stays put -- if only because he doesn't have much trade value -- but Boston could release him to create room for a 2020 draft pick.

MY NOTE:  He's cheap.  That cuts both ways, as he says.  Better start drillin' them, kid.

9.  Grant Williams

The most promising Celtics rookie in 2019-20, Williams ended the season playing meaningful minutes in crunch time of playoff games.

If Williams can continue to improve his outside shot -- he hit 58.8 percent of his 3-pointers in the postseason after connecting on just 25 percent in the regular season -- he'll be an important cog in Boston's frontcourt rotation next season.

MY NOTE:  I expect to see news reports of heads exploding in the Atlanta and Sarasota areas tonight.

10.  Daniel Theis

Theis' contract is non-guaranteed for 2020-21, but his two-year, $10 million deal is looking like a steal after his strong 2019-20 campaign.

Unless the Celtics go hunting for a marquee big man, Theis should be Boston's starting center next season and give the team great value at the position.

MY NOTE:  If Danny trades Hayward for KAT or Embiid or someone like that, then Theis is gone or he's a bench player.  Otherwise, he's here.  One bad series against Bam shouldn't wipe out our memories of him against Philly and Toronto and regular season games vs Milwaukee with the Lopez twins.

11.  Robert Williams

Williams proved in Games 1 and 2 of the Toronto series he's capable of being an impact player. Now the Celtics just need to see consistency.

Williams has a team option in 2021-22, so the Time Lord needs to seize his opportunity this upcoming season (and stay on the floor) if he wants to ensure his future in Boston.

MY NOTE:  Consistency, especially on the defensive side.  Wouldn't hurt if he stayed healthy either.

12.  Marcus Smart

There's been some scuttlebutt about the Celtics trading Smart to Golden State for a top draft pick. We're not putting stock in that scuttlebutt.

Smart is the heart and soul of the Celtics and actually has developed into a capable scorer, averaging 12.9 points per game in the regular season and 14.5 per game in the postseason.

If the C's want to make a run at Banner 18, they'll need Smart around to make winning plays.

MY NOTE:  Can't win a race without a heart.

13.  Kemba Walker

Postseason struggles notwithstanding, Walker has been exactly what the Celtics needed: an unselfish superstar who is content to facilitate for Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown but can pick them up when they struggle.

Walker's balky knee is something to monitor as he enters his age-30 season, but this marriage isn't ending anytime soon.

MY NOTE:  I'm not on board with this.  I'd trade Kemba for an elite piece.  His age, his knees, his inferior playoff performance.  If I want this taste in my mouth I'll eat some sour gummy worms.

14.  Jayson Tatum

Tatum is the new face of this franchise and fully deserving of a maximum contract extension.

There's a non-zero chance that issues arise in contract negotiations, but the Celtics would be foolish not to give Tatum his bag and keep the 22-year-old in Boston for the considerable future.

15.  Jaylen Brown

Brown got his extension last October and is locked in with the Celtics until 2024.

That deal is looking shrewder by the day, as the 23-year-old put up career numbers last season and should form a scary All-Star duo with Tatum for years to come.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Which Celtics players are most likely to leave Boston? Empty Re: Which Celtics players are most likely to leave Boston?

Post by dboss Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:14 pm

This team is not good enough to win by simply running it back in hopes that more experience from the pups will turn the tide.

I think time has run out for Semi. Too many big time misses in crucial games.

I am assuming that kanter opts out because he knows he is mere fodder for a Danny trade. He can pick his own poison.

I think Wanny stays and Green is sent packing. Odd man out rule.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Which Celtics players are most likely to leave Boston? Empty Re: Which Celtics players are most likely to leave Boston?

Post by wideclyde Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:07 am

Bob,

Danny may trade his own mother for a second round pick, but he cannot trade Langford's mother for a second rounder because he does not own her NBA rights.

Trading either of the moms for a second round pick would be a steal, but trading Langford for a second round pick would be a huge mistake.

Langford showed some signs of gaining ground as an NBA player, and although his overall performance as a rookie was probably graded at F+ or D- he still has plenty of time to improve.

I predict that he will earn quality second unit minutes next season, and that will likely be far better than most any second rounder.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:59 am

Keep Carsen ahead of Wanny, Romeo, and Gordon? Say what?

I do not agree that Grant should stay on the Celts as a backup center. Surely we can find a better player for that role. At the 4 Grant could help, especially if he keeps up his playoff 3 point shooting %. I still an unimpressed with his long term prospects, but he is smart and did make several important plays for us. I just do not like him taking RWill's minutes. Not at all.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:18 am

wideclyde wrote:Bob,

Danny may trade his own mother for a second round pick, but he cannot trade Langford's mother for a second rounder because he does not own her NBA rights.

Trading either of the moms for a second round pick would be a steal, but trading Langford for a second round pick would be a huge mistake.

Langford showed some signs of gaining ground as an NBA player, and although his overall performance as a rookie was probably graded at F+ or D- he still has plenty of time to improve.

I predict that he will earn quality second unit minutes next season, and that will likely be far better than most any second rounder.

Clyde,

Romeo showed he is a natural.  He just moves to the ball instinctively, always seems to be around it, feels the defensive rotations much faster than, say, RWill, despite having a fraction of the experience. His #1 biggest problem is staying healthy. I'm not worried about shooting, that's teachable, but you can't shoot if you can't stay on the floor.

And as far as Danny not being able to trade the moms because he doesn't own their rights all I can say to that is "not yet he doesn't".

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:21 pm

The one thing I have to say is, on a Zoom call, I believe the last one before the Miami series, there were some who were predicting a 4-0, 4-1 series in favor of the Celtics. We cannot forget that this is a pretty talented team that needs help in certain areas. I believe, for the most part, every team is in the same boat. Free agency has changed the whole league. Guys never stay with one team for their career. This also has to do with management not holding on to some marginal talent that years ago would have sat on the bench and came in in garbage time.

All I am saying is, we do not need a massive overhaul here. I understand that there are alot of disappointed fans out there, but I hope cooler heads prevail, and decent decisions are made. I wish, myself, that Semi had developed a good shot. If he did, that would make him a solid on this team. However, he did not, had about 4 good shooting games but did perform well on defense. He is most likely gone, he is holding on to a position that could be filled with a better player Too bad, I really liked the guy alot.

Grant Williams is here for a while, he saw playing time and used it wisely for the most part. A year under his belt will help him gain more confidence and play smarter. His shooting needs more work, but he is a keeper.

Edwards,,,boy he really had my heart for a short summer stint. He was going to be what I had prayed for for 3 years. I have no idea what will happen to him

Waters? I just do not see a place on this team for him, but there are some GMs out there who might just want him. He did well in G League, being their MVP, but we just do not need a 5'9" pg right now. He probably will go on to have a decent career????? I hope for him, but I do not see it here.

Romeo...He just needs to get healthy and stay healthy. He is a talented kid who knows how to play the game. He needs help on his shot, but I believe he has another year at least here to show what he can co.

These are a few of my other thoughts, I have said before we need another big (I would love Baynes if they can afford him) and a shooter I am done with the youth movement, I do not know much about the college crew this year, it will be interesting to see what Danny does with these picks
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:50 pm

The guys who will be gone are the ones where Danny controls the contracts. Kanter will leave on his own.

Danny would be a great short order cook because all he does is flip burgers. Every single year he keeps making this team over. He said we are not good enough. The guys who will be gone are completely irrelevant except that their roster spots can be used for more Danny changes.

The big picture revolves around Hayward and our 3 first rounders. Hindsight is 20/20 vision. Hayward simply needs to go. Even if he agreed to a $20 million deal why would Boston pay their 4th option $20 million dollars. It makes no $ense even though Boston is in fact a better team with a healthy Hayward today.

I probably would not move him right now. Let him opt in. Focus on finding suitable trades, picks and FA to fill the holes.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down