dboss
NYCelt
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Jeff Teague signs Empty Jeff Teague signs

Post by NYCelt Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:52 pm

There’s the new 2nd PG

Teague has slowed but is an intelligent player with experience. An upgrade as a backup PG.

He and Thompson are at least passable adds that come fairly inexpensive. They should help.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Jeff Teague signs Empty Re: Jeff Teague signs

Post by dboss Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:00 pm

Well if that is the case we can pretty much wrap this one up into a nice bow.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:01 pm

NYCelt wrote:There’s the new 2nd PG

Teague has slowed but is an intelligent player with experience. An upgrade as a backup PG.

He and Thompson are at least passable adds that come fairly inexpensive. They should help.

Lord help us

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:05 pm

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 13 minutes ago
Brad Stevens in 2015 (many moons ago): “I think you have to look and redefine who the superstars are with our own eyes every day. ... And I don’t know what qualifies as a superstar but I know this: nobody in the league can keep Jeff Teague in front of them. Nobody.”

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:07 pm

The Celtics were one of 4 teams that could have been landing spots.

The deal is one year and he is looking to play with a contender.

It is a very good pick up.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:10 pm

We got down to the beggars can’t be choosers level.

From where we sat a couple hours ago, Thompson and Teague are positive moves even if not what was needed for stronger title contention.

At least they’re arguably a slight step up from Kanter and Wannamaker. Maybe keeps the team from taking a big step back if Nesmith can produce right away. Fingers crossed there, but maybe gives us a puncher’s chance in the next bout.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Ktron wrote:

Lord help us

ktron

You not like these additions?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:18 pm

NYCelt wrote:We got down to the beggars can’t be choosers level.

From where we sat a couple hours ago, Thompson and Teague are positive moves even if not what was needed for stronger title contention.

At least they’re arguably a slight step up from Kanter and Wannamaker. Maybe keeps the team from taking a big step back if Nesmith can produce right away. Fingers crossed there, but maybe gives us a puncher’s chance in the next bout.

These are not bad moves. Very reasonable short term deals. Thompson is a better rebounder than Theis and he is a physical player. Teague is way better than Wanny . He split time in MN before coming back here to the Hawks. In Minny he averaged 13 PPG and 6 assists. Also he is a good shooter.

We needed to add solid veterans and that is what we did.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:25 pm

dboss wrote:
NYCelt wrote:We got down to the beggars can’t be choosers level.

These are not bad moves.  Very reasonable short term deals.  Thompson is a better rebounder than Theis and he is a physical player.  Teague is way better than Wanny .  He split time in MN before coming back here to the Hawks.  In Minny he averaged 13 PPG and 6 assists.  Also he is a good shooter.  

We needed to add solid veterans and that is what we did.

No, not bad moves at all. Best we could do at this point.

Both are upgrades over players they replaced, just not by a ton.

Personally, I like Teague in the backcourt over Wannamaker. His experience will be a plus.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:38 pm

off season done!

BIG upgrade at Center over Kanter

Vet Upgrade over Wanny at PG

Nesmith and/or Langford will need to step in to help replace some of Haywards minutes. Tatum, Brown and Smart will likely get most of them, IMO.

Tatum will become our new MAX player (as he should be).

Money will be there to extend Smart next season.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:47 pm

Teague is not a bad move, a decent shooter, and plays defense I would not call this a last gasp signing by any means. Gives them breathing room.. let’s put this to bed, Hayward is gone, someday we will hear the real story but what difference does it make. He did not want to be here anymore. Too bad, but I for one am glad this is over. Who knows, we may be better off than worrying about who is getting the ball and who is shooting.

Now, what do they do about Tatum?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:49 pm

I agree with Dboss and NYCelt. 2 solid veterans who won’t make youthful mistakes or be jittery in crunch time or fold under playoff pressure. We are all a bit salty about the GH Hornets thing and that has definitely curbed our collective enthusiasm but the Teague/Thompson signings are exactly what we, to a man and woman, on this forum was calling for. A tough, gritty rebounding defensive minded big and an experienced 2 way backup point guard who would not be a significant drop off if and when Kemba is down or out. Two solid moves imo. And there is still a chance that the GH deal could morph into a sign and trade. If that does come to pass this off season would be a solid B-B+ especially considering how precarious/limited our cap/tax situation was/is.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:51 pm

Did they waive Semi
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:54 pm

I think TT is also a upgrade over Theis in terms of rebounding.  he was 6th in the NBA for all centers.  But he is a horrible FT shooter and his offense is not particularly attractive.

Theis likely starts again but we should be better off the bench.  TT is just one of 6 NBA centers to average at least 30 MPG.  Last season he began to take a few 3 pointers.  He actually went 9-23 on the season or 39.1%.  Interestingly before that he had only taken 9 3PA while going 0-9.  

Brad will probably have him gunning away!

Last edited by dboss on Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:58 pm

willjr wrote:I agree with Dboss and NYCelt. 2 solid veterans who won’t make youthful mistakes or be jittery in crunch time or fold under playoff pressure. We are all a bit salty about the GH Hornets thing and that has definitely curbed our collective enthusiasm but the Teague/Thompson signings are exactly what we, to a man and woman, on this forum was calling for. A tough, gritty rebounding defensive minded big and an experienced 2 way backup point guard who would not be a significant drop off if and when Kemba is down or out. Two solid moves imo. And there is still a chance that the GH deal could morph into a sign and trade. If that does come to pass this off season would be a solid B-B+ especially considering how precarious/limited our cap/tax situation was/is.

will.... great logical assessment.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:00 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Did they waive Semi

No they kept him

The Celtics fully guaranteed the contracts for both Daniel Theis and Semi Ojeleye.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:07 pm

You know, I am kind of glad about that. There is just something about him that I like. I know he works so darn hard to keep in shape, is hardly ever hurt, and has been working hard on his shooting. You never know.....this could be his year

Listen, so much negative stuff,have to grab onto something that makes me happy. I am now pushing the Jaylen Brown fan club, had to make the big choice and my son said that I liked the Brown pick from the beginning, so he has me cheering hard for him now. Need something to look forward to!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:52 pm

Q. What was our record in games GH played last year and also games he was out?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:12 am

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:

Lord help us

ktron

You not like these additions?

I like TT. I don’t care for Teague. He may have more speed than Wanny but in my opinion Wanny is a better and smarter player.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:14 am

dboss wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:Did they waive Semi

No they kept him

The Celtics fully guaranteed the contracts for both Daniel Theis and Semi Ojeleye.

Lord help me. Semi?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:26 am

worcester wrote:Q. What was our record in games GH played last year and also games he was out?

Worcester,

We were 28-18 in games he played in.  .609 record.
We were 14-6 in games he didn't play in.  .700 record.

We were 3-2 in playoff games he played in.  .600 record.
We were 7-5 in playoff games he didn't play in.  .583 record.

Doesn't appear very impactful, does it?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:30 am

No Bob. That was my suspicion. TT may have a bigger impact. Marcus surely does, as do Jaylen and Jayson.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 am

Chicken and egg line of inquiry I think. Gordon was the fourth option here so of course, by definition his impact was limited. I think he’s a better overall player than anybody on the current Celtics roster except Tatum and has the most well rounded game of all of them. As to why he left, on Twitter his wife Robyn wrote that she was happy living in Wellesley but that now “I am excited to see my husband show his talent again and play in Charlotte.” Pretty clear message. “Let my people go” Exodus 5:1; like most messages worth anything it’s universal.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:58 pm

For what it's worth I'm not as on board with the Teague signing as others seem to be.  I think Danny blew it by not resigning Wanny.  Teague's numbers fell off the table last year in Indy.  He's not as good a 3pt shooter (33.3% vs 36.3%, so not that close), he's not as good a 2pt shooter (42% vs 48%, so not close at all) and he's not as good a frito shooter (88.7% vs 92.6%).  His Net Offensive/Defensive Rating is about the same.  And, last but not least, he's brand new to Brad's system.  Wanny had spent 2 years in it already. Knows the system, knows the plays, knows his teammates preferences and inclinations.

IMO, Danny should have resigned Wanny for about the same money.  This is why I have trouble predicting what Danny will do, I don't understand his thought process sometimes.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:08 pm

Teague shoots 35.6 percent from three, lifetime. Wanny's a great free throw shooter who doesn't draw many fouls. Both defend well, but Teague couldn't cover for Trae Young, who doesn't defend at all. Wannamaker is stronger, Teague quicker. I liked Brad too, but I think they are comparable players.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next