Vankisa
gyso
willjr
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Haywood sign and trade done  - Page 3 Empty Re: Haywood sign and trade done

Post by Ktron Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:13 pm

bobheckler wrote:Haywood sign and trade done  - Page 3 EoKdTAbUYAoIs0N?format=png

Bob

He is sooooo full of it

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:16 pm

dboss wrote:I think the big issue for Boston today is the long term health of Kemba Walker and not if and when they use the TPE.

In many respects GH leaving was a blessing for Boston that gave them a year of tax relief.  Next year Tatum hits the big bucks so that should be considered in terms of adding a long term contract.  Smart has 2 years remaining on his underpaid contract.  

On the surface having a sizeable TPE looks great on paper but this team is not going to add an expensive multi-year contract to the mix.

The elephant in the room is limping.  

Danny freed up cap space and was able to add 2 quality free agents that play positions of need.  That is the real value Danny got when GH left.  The TPE looks like an insurance policy.

. Our Star point guard is broken. We’s got problems

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:19 pm

kdp59 wrote:Believe it or not but Gordan has been in the NBA for  SIX season now. His game has sort of leveled off or even declined a bit. With his game based on extreme athletic ability, those type of players decline as age hits faster.

so all that and the fact that Orlando has other/younger options on their roster now is why they "could" have been looking to move him.

Agree. We can do better than Gordon. He’s not going to get any better.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:22 pm

Here's a thought:

We know in years past Danny has used his available cap space to facilitate trades for other teams in exchange for a player and/or draft picks (I think that's how we got Zeller.  Wasn't he part of our payment for facilitating the LeBron-back-to-Cleveland deal?).

I cannot see any team trading a star just for salary relief.  They might trade a good player for salary relief plus some picks perhaps, but not a star.

We also have smaller TPEs for Kanter and another even smaller one (can't remember where it came from).

What if, and please sanity check me on this, Danny used 1/3 - 1/2 of the $27+M Hayward TPE to facilitate trades in exchange for picks and then use the rest of the TPE and those picks to trade for a good player?

Can TPEs be used in this way?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:01 pm

I do not think you can use the TPE just for a picks.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:23 pm

dboss wrote:
I do not think you can use the TPE just for a picks.  

Dboss,

But there are players being traded, just not to us. We are offering salary relief, which is what a TPE is.

Still no?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:17 pm

Usually, a trade exception is combined with a draft pick ($0 value item) to trade for a player under contract or a free agent in a sign-and-trade situation. The draft pick going to the other team is the incentive for the other team to give up the coveted player.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:24 pm

gyso wrote:Usually, a trade exception is combined with a draft pick ($0 value item) to trade for a player under contract or a free agent in a sign-and-trade situation.  The draft pick going to the other team is the incentive for the other team to give up the coveted player.

Gyso,

Suppose Team 1 wants to trade with Team 2 but can't because one, or both, are over the cap or the combined salaries aren't < 25%? Can Danny grease the skids with some TPE $ and get picks out of it?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:44 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:Usually, a trade exception is combined with a draft pick ($0 value item) to trade for a player under contract or a free agent in a sign-and-trade situation.  The draft pick going to the other team is the incentive for the other team to give up the coveted player.

Gyso,

Suppose Team 1 wants to trade with Team 2 but can't because one, or both, are over the cap or the combined salaries aren't < 25%?  Can Danny grease the skids with some TPE $ and get picks out of it?

Bob

I don't think that's how it works.  

I just searched for examples of previous trades that involved TPEs and got squat.  I read Larry Coons NBA Salary cap FAQ about TPEs and now my head hurts.

I believe that TPEs get used to bring back a player who's salary is the same value or less.  TPE out, salary back in.  If a draft pick is involved, it usually goes out with the TPE.

Sorry, that's all I have.  I can't wait to see how it does get used, then I'll have a real world example.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3