bobheckler
cowens/oldschool
Ktron
Vankisa
NYCelt
dboss
11 posters

Go down

Danny gets Draft Grade of 45% from me - Overall since 2003 Empty Danny gets Draft Grade of 45% from me - Overall since 2003

Post by dboss Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:04 pm

Lets take a look at Danny's first round picks since 2003.  That gives us a 17 year track record.  

I have come up with a total of 32 first round picks since Ainge took over.  That includes the two picks this year.  This is not complete as I am sure I have missed some.

For the sake of conformity I have ranked our first round picks A, B, C,  D and T /I(traded or incomplete because they never played for us)  This does not include the two first rounders this year. also we cannot make a judgment on the draft picks that were traded unless you also evaluate what we got in return. 

Here is a link (below) on first and 2nd round picks Danny Ainge made.  I am not evaluating second rounders but for the record Ryan Gomes and Etwain Moore were quality picks.  Basically 2 out of 22 quality second rounders.  I am not going through the list but you can look for yourself.

There are several picks missing from the list.  It may be because it was a draft day trade (KO)  or purchase R Rondo)

There is a lot of subjectivity on my part.  I have come up with 5  (Category A guys) plus 5 other (B level guys) that were starter quality core guys.  In total that is 10 out of 32 that were all great picks.  Category C includes rookies where their rating cannot be determine because they have not been playing that much.   It also includes average players.

Draft position makes a huge difference.  Overall he has drafted well when in the lottery with just two misses (KO and R Langford)  out of 7 tries.  One can make an argument that RL was not a miss but last year he was.  He has also made some good selection in the teens and below.  

I am giving Danny a draft grade of 45%.  We do not know what other GM's have done so this evaluation is not for comparison.  The one black eye may best be seen in his 2nd round selections.  He has yet to knock it out of the park in the 2nd round.  You would think that in 17 drafts he would have found at least 1 star.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Celtics_draft_history

Category A (highest quality productive players drafted by Boston)

2004 Al Jefferson
2006 Rajon Rondo
2014 Marcus Smart
2016 Jaylen Brown
2017 Jayson Tatum

Category B (Solid starters and rotation players that may have become valuable trade assets)

2003 Kendrick Perkins
2004 Tony Allen
2005 Gerald Green
2010 Avery Bradley
2015 Terry Rozier

Category C (Decent but Average players - limited or unknown upside)

2004 Delonte West
2013 Kelly Olynyk
2018 Robert Williams
2019 Grant Williams
2019 Romeo Langford

Category D (Way below average guys for one reason or another that should not have been drafted in the first round)

2008 JR Giddens
2011 Jajuan Johnson
2012 Jared Sullinger
2012 Fab Melo
2014 James Young
2015 RJ Hunter
2015 Guerschon Yabusele
2016 Anti Zizic

Category T/I  drafted and Traded or drafted but never played for us.

2003 Dahntay Jones
2002 Troy Bell
2006 Randy Foye
2007 Jeff Green
2011 Marshon Brooks
2013 Lucas Nogueira
2019 Matisse Thybulle

Last edited by dboss on Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Danny gets Draft Grade of 45% from me - Overall since 2003 Empty Re: Danny gets Draft Grade of 45% from me - Overall since 2003

Post by NYCelt Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:50 pm

Interesting list. Nothing I would debate. I'd just put Langford in a TBD category.

Just looking at Category D, I was about to pat myself on the back when reality knocked my ego down several pegs and left me out of the America's Next GM competition.

I was feeling good that from that category, and in various draft day threads here, I had questioned the sanity of drafting Sullinger, Melo, Young and Yabusele. I believe it can easily be found that I instantly labeled Young and Yabusele huge mistakes, bound to flop immediately.

Pretty good, right?

Then I noticed JuJuan Johnson in Category D, where he belongs. The same JuJuan Johnson I rooted for Boston to draft, proclaiming him 100% guaranteed, without a doubt, the next Kevin Garnett. That too, lives somewhere in print in the catacombs of forum posts.

Yeah. I got it covered! I'll stick with my regular job.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Danny gets Draft Grade of 45% from me - Overall since 2003 Empty Re: Danny gets Draft Grade of 45% from me - Overall since 2003

Post by dboss Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:01 pm

Everyone is more than welcome to move any player in or out of the categories I created. If a player was missed or if you recognize something different feel free to state you observation.

Danny has not done a bad job drafting. He had a lot of picks because he worked his butt off to get them. His lottery picks came mostly from savvy trades and not through tanking his team. I do think at times he should have consolidated some picks to select a better player or two.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:22 pm

NYCelt

RL is in the C category which is not bad. Same with Grant with the understanding that this category reflects limited information to measure upside that would put them in Category B or push them down to D or maybe they are just average and remain on the C list.

Category A is for really good players and Category A is for the best talent drafted based on their performance over time. 3 of 4 were high lottery picks.

Danny has not done a poor job in drafting players.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:38 pm

Nice list, makes me think ... It would be interesting to see the pick numbers as welll next to those names, but some trends are more or less clear already imo.

There is a pattern of bad picks in years where the only picks Danny had were late 1st rounders (i.e. 2008/09 to 2012/13). Nothing that cannot be expected, although GMs that are better at drafting have found at least 1 or more gems in that pile. So I would rate him average on late 1st rounders.

He has not gotten great top 10 picks overall - what I see is 2 bad in early years and our current core 3 which is great picks of course. I am not sure that is below average for the league however. He has also a much better track record with his recent high picks than with his first 2. So here I think he might be above average and potentially good.

His "mid range" has been hit and miss, but I think it is safe to assume this is also the average for the leage as well.

He also does not seem to draft good big men either because he can't or he won't, not sure which.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:03 pm

I would almost bet that if we examined the track record for most GM we would find similar bottom line results. Except for the absurd Sixers.

I would look at teams who built through the draft and those picks have turned out to be great players and the team actually wins. There are several up and coming teams that have added significant talent through the draft but they have to start winning.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:58 pm

I thought Jared Sullinger should have been rated a little higher. He did eat his way out but i would categorize him more as a C

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:48 am

Danny made some bad picks, and I was actually all for Fab Melo that year, but he should be given credit for making the right deals that put him in place for drafting building blocks like Jaylen and Jayson....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:45 pm

I was thinking the same thing as Vankisa but wanted to wait until today to put the work in.  I didn't touch the Traded list because they are part of another story (they were drafted by us and traded away for something or someone, and that package determines whether trading them was a good thing or not)

Draft pick = ()

How good or bad a draft pick is likely to be depends upon where they are drafted.  Yes, it's a bit of a crap shoot and sometimes pearls drop to lower picks (e.g. Jimmy Butler @ 30 and DeAndre Jordan @ 35) but most of the time high draft picks turn out to be quality NBA players and lower draft picks turn out to be short-timers.  Here is 82games.com giving the probability of what they will be based upon where they are selected.

https://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

If you are Top 5 there is a better than 50% chance you will be a star.  If you are 6-10 there is only a 16-20% chance of being a star.  If you compare players' draft spots with this analysis you get a better idea of how good Danny is at drafting quality based upon where he's drafting at.  Rondo, at 21, only had a 10% chance of being a star and a 40% chance of being a "solid starter".  That's a win for Danny.  He had misses in the mid-first round, but those are kinda crap shooty anyway.  Any player drafted in the 20s who turns out to be a solid rotation player is a big draft win.  The Time Lord could be that this year (it won't be long before we'll see if his self-confidence is misplaced).

Danny had two draft wins out of 5 Category A players, and 3 "well, yeah, of course! Look where they got drafted!".  In Category B he had another two draft wins out of 5, the other 3 were about what they should have been given their draft number. In Category C he had a loser in Kelly Olynyk, because a #13 pick should be better.  I think it's too soon to make a call on Romeo.  He missed a lot of games as a rook.  Same with the Williams boys, too soon (although the clock is running faster on RWill than GWill).  Category D has James Young and Yabby as busts.  That's two players out of 8 in that category.  The other 6 players should be expected to be busts, that's why they dropped that far.  It's either because they are perceived as limited in skills or have an injury history or something that makes them unappealing to every GM picking before then.

2004 Al Jefferson (15)
2006 Rajon Rondo (21) - drafted by Phx for us as part of multiple trades by Danny
2014 Marcus Smart (6)
2016 Jaylen Brown (3) - part of PP/KG trade.  Steal of the Century, SO good it got Nets GM Billy King fired.
2017 Jayson Tatum (3) - part of PP/KG trade.  Was #1 but Danny traded down and also got Romeo for free.

Category B (Solid starters and rotation players that may have become valuable trade assets)

2003 Kendrick Perkins (27) - straight out of High School
2004 Tony Allen (25) - Danny got his draft rights as part of a 3-team trade in 2/04
2005 Gerald Green (18) - traded to Minny as part of the KG trade
2010 Avery Bradley (19) - 1X All-Defense First Team, 1X All-Defense Second Team
2015 Terry Rozier (16)

2004 Delonte West (24) - future draft rights were part of Raef LaFrentz/Antoine Walker trade with Dallas
2013 Kelly Olynyk (13) - Danny traded up from 16 for Olynyk.  Dallas got Nogueira (not in NBA anymore)
2018 Robert Williams (27)
2019 Grant Williams (22)
2019 Romeo Langford (14) - a freebie because Danny fleeced Bryan Colangelo.  Playing with Sixers' money.

Category D (Way below average guys for one reason or another that should not have been drafted in the first round)

2008 JR Giddens (30)
2011 Jajuan Johnson (27) - rights traded to us by Nets for Marshon Brooks, who came to us in PP/KG trade.
2012 Jared Sullinger (21) - Could have been better but ate himself out of the league.
2012 Fab Melo (22) - draft rights came as part of Perk trade with OKC.  Soured me forever on Boeheim.
2014 James Young (17) - draft rights were part of the PP/KG trade with Brooklyn
2015 RJ Hunter (28) - was our compensation for allowing Doc to exit Celtic contract and sign with Clippers.
2015 Guerschon Yabusele (16) - draft rights part of trade that got us Jae Crowder and sent Rondo to Dallas.
2016 Anti Zizic (23) - sent to Cleveland as part of Kyrie trade

Bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:33 pm

Ktron wrote:I thought Jared Sullinger should have been rated a little higher. He did eat his way out but i would categorize him more as a C

Ktron I struggled between C and d also. Talent wise he was a C but the red flag back issue ignored by Danny and his short time playing in the NBA swayed me to cat D
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:50 pm

Bob the Devil is in the details. Splendid work.

I want to reiterate that Cat C average is not bad. Putting young guys there makes sense in a lot of situations. They can move up to B or even A. Think of it as undetermined.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:42 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:I thought Jared Sullinger should have been rated a little higher. He did eat his way out but i would categorize him more as a C

Ktron I struggled between C and d also.  Talent wise he was a C but the red flag back issue ignored by Danny and his short time playing in the NBA swayed me to cat D

I concur. (Danny Danny Danny.....):

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:59 pm

Giddens was one of the worst but at #30, not that big a disappointment. James Young at 17 and Yabu at 16 - yes, they were big disappointments!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:07 am

Glen Davis was drafted by Seattle 35th overall in 2007 and traded soon thereafter as part of the Ray Allen package before he ever played an NBA game. With the departure of Al Jefferson and Ryan Gomes he had an opportunity to get back up minutes for KG and Perk which he did including contributing on the Championship team. B player.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:02 am

Just with the guys listed in the "A" portion, I have to give Ainge at least a 65% on his drafting grade. The three guys who are currently on the roster from the 'A' section alone are all gems. Jefferson and Rondo were/are quality players.

Surely, some players he drafted turned out not to be great/good/average/poor NBA players, but we should remember that we only hear about very few late first rounders or any second rounders being quality players is because they are in such a minority. We all know how good the NBA is and also that not everyone who gets drafted by any team is going to make it.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:15 pm

If we agree that it's unreasonable to look at a mid-to-late first rounder the same way you'd look at a top 10 pick then let's look at this list through a different type of prism.  Rather than ranking them by "Category of Quality" let's look at them in draft order and then consider whether they measure up to reasonable expectations for any player picked there.

The expectations are, once again, being set by https://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm.

TOP 10 picks - 25-85% chance of stardom, 15-40% chance of being a solid starter.  The 25% chance of being a star is a precipitous drop, specifically for the #6 pick.  1-5 are all 60% and up.

Jayson Tatum (3) - Likelihood of becoming a star = 85%?  Bingo.
Jaylen Brown (3) - Winner, winner, chicken dinner.  Everybody was second-guessing Danny on this pick.  Jaylen was projected to go around #7 but Danny saw something and he was right.
Marcus Smart (6) - Winner.  A perennial DPOY candidate.  25% chance of becoming a star, 30% chance of being a solid starter.  He's definitely a solid starter and is a defensive star.  

That's it for Top 10 picks for Danny in the last 17 years.  3 picks, all winners as we would expect picks that high to be.  Not a bad pick among them.  This isn't particularly laudatory, a GM cannot screw up picks this high unless they want to be unemployed, and Danny didn't.

Top 11-14 (the rest of the lottery).  15-20% chance of stardom, 15-20% chance of being a solid starter. So, a statistical ceiling of 40% of being either a star or a solid starter.  About a 25-40% chance of being a Role Player.

Kelly Olynyk (13) - A role player.  Played 19mpg last year and shot 40% from 3.  That's a role.
Romeo Langford (14) - Too soon to say, in my opinion, but unless he's a bust he has trade value and he was free (thanks to Trader Danny).
Aaron Nesmith (14) - Obviously WAY too soon to call.  He was payment for Jeff Green.  Unless he's a complete bust with no trade value he has to be better than Green.

So Danny's got 1 "role player", which is what draftees picked here should be expected to be, and 2 "we'll see".  The jury's out, if Romeo and Aaron work out then that's all 3 picks coming from draft spots that are likely to produce just role players being just that, and if Romeo and/or Aaron pleasantly surprise us (to do that they just need to become legit role players) then we have a solid draft pick winning record in this group too.

Top 15-22 (half of the rest of the 1st round).  20-40% chance of being a solid starter, 20-30% chance of being 'deep bench'.

Al Jefferson (15) - Solid Starter for many years.  Good enough to be the key to the KG trade.  Played 14 years.
Terry Rozier (16) - Starter for Charlotte
Guerschon Yabusele (16) - Bust.  Draft rights part of trade that got us Jae Crowder and sent Rondo to Dallas.
James Young (17) - Bust.  Draft rights were part of the PP/KG trade with Brooklyn
Gerald Green (18) - A role player.  Traded to Minny as part of the KG trade.  
Avery Bradley (19) - Role player, and a good one.  1X All-Defense First Team, 1X All-Defense Second Team.  Overachiever.
Rajon Rondo (21) - drafted by Phx for us as part of multiple trades by Danny.  Solid starter, champion
Jared Sullinger (21) - Could have been better, could have been a solid back up, but ate himself out of the league.
Fab Melo (22) - Bust.  Draft rights came as part of Perk trade with OKC.  Soured me forever on Boeheim.
Grant Williams (22) - too soon to call, but Brad likes him apparently.

Two starters (Big Al and Rondo).  Those are big-time wins for where they were drafted.  Two role players (GG and AB).  Both very good at what they do.  So, two more wins for Danny, just not BIG wins.  You either swing for the fences here or you go for the solid "I know I can find minutes for them just doing what I know they can do" players, and that describes both Green and Bradley.  I'm not sure how to describe Sully, other than as a disappointment.  He could have had a nice, long NBA career if he could have just pushed himself away from the buffet table.  Danny also had 3 busts (Young, Yabby and Fab).  Players drafted in this range have a 10-20% chance of being busts.  10 draft picks in this range, 3 busts.  Not so good for Danny, but did anybody legitimately expect James Young to be that bad?

Top 23-30 picks (the remainder of the first round).  The likelihood is that they will be "deep bench", about 40-60%.  They also have a 15-30% chance of being busts.  Pretty much anything better than a bust is acceptable.  The best idea is to trade out of those positions and not pick at all.

Anti Zizic (23) - Deep bench to Bust.  Let's just call him a bust.
Delonte West (24) - Solid back up player who started in 258 out of 432 games played.  This is a win.
Tony Allen (25) - Solid role player, NBA starter.  The Grind Master.  This is a big win.
Payton Pritchard (26) - Too soon to call.
Kendrick Perkins (27) - Starter on a Championship team.  Another BIG win.
Jajuan Johnson (27) - Bust.  But was Big 10 POY and Big 10 DPOY, so there was something there, it just never panned out.  
Robert Williams (27) - Role player or deep bench?  We'll know this year.  Either way he's not a bust and that makes him at least a decent pick at #27.
RJ Hunter (28) - Bust.  He was part of the Doc-to-LAC trade, so another freebie by Danny, but he never worked out.
JR Giddens (30) - Bust.  Drafting #30 has to be the absolute worst place to pick.  The dregs of the first round but without the contract flexibility you get with a 2nd rounder #31 pick.

Three winners (West, Allen and Perk), one ok (The Time Lord), one "too soon to call" and four busts.  If we give RWill the benefit of the doubt and exclude this year's rook that means four good picks, three of which were excellent picks, and 4 busts.  50/50 is pretty damn good this far down in the draft.

Not all draft picks are equal.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:25 am

bobheckler wrote:If we agree that it's unreasonable to look at a mid-to-late first rounder the same way you'd look at a top 10 pick then let's look at this list through a different type of prism.  Rather than ranking them by "Category of Quality" let's look at them in draft order and then consider whether they measure up to reasonable expectations for any player picked there.

The expectations are, once again, being set by https://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm.

TOP 10 picks - 25-85% chance of stardom, 15-40% chance of being a solid starter.  The 25% chance of being a star is a precipitous drop, specifically for the #6 pick.  1-5 are all 60% and up.

Jayson Tatum (3) - Likelihood of becoming a star = 85%?  Bingo.
Jaylen Brown (3) - Winner, winner, chicken dinner.  Everybody was second-guessing Danny on this pick.  Jaylen was projected to go around #7 but Danny saw something and he was right.
Marcus Smart (6) - Winner.  A perennial DPOY candidate.  25% chance of becoming a star, 30% chance of being a solid starter.  He's definitely a solid starter and is a defensive star.  

That's it for Top 10 picks for Danny in the last 17 years.  3 picks, all winners as we would expect picks that high to be.  Not a bad pick among them.  This isn't particularly laudatory, a GM cannot screw up picks this high unless they want to be unemployed, and Danny didn't.

Top 11-14 (the rest of the lottery).  15-20% chance of stardom, 15-20% chance of being a solid starter. So, a statistical ceiling of 40% of being either a star or a solid starter.  About a 25-40% chance of being a Role Player.

Kelly Olynyk (13) - A role player.  Played 19mpg last year and shot 40% from 3.  That's a role.
Romeo Langford (14) - Too soon to say, in my opinion, but unless he's a bust he has trade value and he was free (thanks to Trader Danny).
Aaron Nesmith (14) - Obviously WAY too soon to call.  He was payment for Jeff Green.  Unless he's a complete bust with no trade value he has to be better than Green.

So Danny's got 1 "role player", which is what draftees picked here should be expected to be, and 2 "we'll see".  The jury's out, if Romeo and Aaron work out then that's all 3 picks coming from draft spots that are likely to produce just role players being just that, and if Romeo and/or Aaron pleasantly surprise us (to do that they just need to become legit role players) then we have a solid draft pick winning record in this group too.

Top 15-22 (half of the rest of the 1st round).  20-40% chance of being a solid starter, 20-30% chance of being 'deep bench'.

Al Jefferson (15) - Solid Starter for many years.  Good enough to be the key to the KG trade.  Played 14 years.
Terry Rozier (16) - Starter for Charlotte
Guerschon Yabusele (16) - Bust.  Draft rights part of trade that got us Jae Crowder and sent Rondo to Dallas.
James Young (17) - Bust.  Draft rights were part of the PP/KG trade with Brooklyn
Gerald Green (18) - A role player.  Traded to Minny as part of the KG trade.  
Avery Bradley (19) - Role player, and a good one.  1X All-Defense First Team, 1X All-Defense Second Team.  Overachiever.
Rajon Rondo (21) - drafted by Phx for us as part of multiple trades by Danny.  Solid starter, champion
Jared Sullinger (21) - Could have been better, could have been a solid back up, but ate himself out of the league.
Fab Melo (22) - Bust.  Draft rights came as part of Perk trade with OKC.  Soured me forever on Boeheim.
Grant Williams (22) - too soon to call, but Brad likes him apparently.

Two starters (Big Al and Rondo).  Those are big-time wins for where they were drafted.  Two role players (GG and AB).  Both very good at what they do.  So, two more wins for Danny, just not BIG wins.  You either swing for the fences here or you go for the solid "I know I can find minutes for them just doing what I know they can do" players, and that describes both Green and Bradley.  I'm not sure how to describe Sully, other than as a disappointment.  He could have had a nice, long NBA career if he could have just pushed himself away from the buffet table.  Danny also had 3 busts (Young, Yabby and Fab).  Players drafted in this range have a 10-20% chance of being busts.  10 draft picks in this range, 3 busts.  Not so good for Danny, but did anybody legitimately expect James Young to be that bad?

Top 23-30 picks (the remainder of the first round).  The likelihood is that they will be "deep bench", about 40-60%.  They also have a 15-30% chance of being busts.  Pretty much anything better than a bust is acceptable.  The best idea is to trade out of those positions and not pick at all.

Anti Zizic (23) - Deep bench to Bust.  Let's just call him a bust.
Delonte West (24) - Solid back up player who started in 258 out of 432 games played.  This is a win.
Tony Allen (25) - Solid role player, NBA starter.  The Grind Master.  This is a big win.
Payton Pritchard (26) - Too soon to call.
Kendrick Perkins (27) - Starter on a Championship team.  Another BIG win.
Jajuan Johnson (27) - Bust.  But was Big 10 POY and Big 10 DPOY, so there was something there, it just never panned out.  
Robert Williams (27) - Role player or deep bench?  We'll know this year.  Either way he's not a bust and that makes him at least a decent pick at #27.
RJ Hunter (28) - Bust.  He was part of the Doc-to-LAC trade, so another freebie by Danny, but he never worked out.
JR Giddens (30) - Bust.  Drafting #30 has to be the absolute worst place to pick.  The dregs of the first round but without the contract flexibility you get with a 2nd rounder #31 pick.

Three winners (West, Allen and Perk), one ok (The Time Lord), one "too soon to call" and four busts.  If we give RWill the benefit of the doubt and exclude this year's rook that means four good picks, three of which were excellent picks, and 4 busts.  50/50 is pretty damn good this far down in the draft.

Not all draft picks are equal.

Bob

Bob,

I started a post yesterday about how these picks should be graded on a curve, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I didn't like how my post came off, how it sounded, how much work I had to put into it to make it right.  So in the trash it went.  Like most of the stuff I write. Time and time again.

flip* A, Bob.  Nail, meet hammer.

+1 Million.

You're a gem.  Thanks again.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:50 am

Bob

Great context added. Picking in the lottery definitely is a big plus. I want to point out that AB and C are not bad picks. Fans can give danny any grade they think he deserved. If there is one area that could be explored more it would be in round 2.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:29 am

dboss wrote:Lets take a look at Danny's first round picks since 2003.  That gives us a 17 year track record.  

I have come up with a total of 32 first round picks since Ainge took over.  That includes the two picks this year.  This is not complete as I am sure I have missed some.

For the sake of conformity I have ranked our first round picks A, B, C,  D and T /I(traded or incomplete because they never played for us)  This does not include the two first rounders this year. also we cannot make a judgment on the draft picks that were traded unless you also evaluate what we got in return. 

Here is a link (below) on first and 2nd round picks Danny Ainge made.  I am not evaluating second rounders but for the record Ryan Gomes and Etwain Moore were quality picks.  Basically 2 out of 22 quality second rounders.  I am not going through the list but you can look for yourself.

There are several picks missing from the list.  It may be because it was a draft day trade (KO)  or purchase R Rondo)

There is a lot of subjectivity on my part.  I have come up with 5  (Category A guys) plus 5 other (B level guys) that were starter quality core guys.  In total that is 10 out of 32 that were all great picks.  Category C includes rookies where their rating cannot be determine because they have not been playing that much.   It also includes average players.

Draft position makes a huge difference.  Overall he has drafted well when in the lottery with just two misses (KO and R Langford)  out of 7 tries.  One can make an argument that RL was not a miss but last year he was.  He has also made some good selection in the teens and below.  

I am giving Danny a draft grade of 45%.  We do not know what other GM's have done so this evaluation is not for comparison.  The one black eye may best be seen in his 2nd round selections.  He has yet to knock it out of the park in the 2nd round.  You would think that in 17 drafts he would have found at least 1 star.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Celtics_draft_history

2004 Al Jefferson
2006 Rajon Rondo
2014 Marcus Smart
2016 Jaylen Brown
2017 Jayson Tatum

2003 Kendrick Perkins
2004 Tony Allen
2005 Gerald Green
2010 Avery Bradley
2015 Terry Rozier

2004 Delonte West
2013 Kelly Olynyk
2018 Robert Williams
2019 Grant Williams
2019 Romeo Langford

2008 JR Giddens
2011 Jajuan Johnson
2012 Jared Sullinger
2012 Fab Melo
2014 James Young
2015 RJ Hunter
2015 Guerschon Yabusele
2016 Anti Zizic

Category T/I  drafted and Traded or drafted but never played for us.

2003 Dahntay Jones
2002 Troy Bell
2006 Randy Foye
2007 Jeff Green
2011 Marshon Brooks
2013 Lucas Nogueira
2019 Matisse Thybulle

DBoss

Not bad of a chart. I kind of liked what you did. It flows very well!

You should do one for trades made by Danny!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:18 pm

It is great to see you post.  We miss your input.

There are two areas that  I would like to explore.

Have the Celtics had more 1st round picks as compared  to other teams.  For example, this was a surprised, Philly had around 12 first rounders 2003-2020.  Also with the picks selected  by Danny, what other players were available that he passed up where there is some consensus that they were better players.  The big one of recent memory is jumping over GA to get KO.   This is not a GM to GM comparison.

My evaluation does not contemplate who else was there.  Also many 2nd round picks would be A or B lists guys.  Danny had 22 2nd rounders since 2003.  Ryan Gomes is the only 2nd rounder that averaged double figures for us.  

When time permits I will dig a little deeper.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:57 pm

DBoss,

Great to be back!   I look forward to your charts.  If you are stuck on a project, send me a private note and let me see if I can help.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:02 pm

112288 wrote:DBoss,

Great to be back!   I look forward to your charts.  If you are stuck on a project, send me a private note and let me see if I can help.

Thank you

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down